PDA

View Full Version : The Wyrmpriest [3.5e PrC, WIP]

Giegue
2012-03-29, 08:15 AM
The Wyrmpriest

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/alana553/Dragon%20Album/011a6d52a8181d28eb08288c3975b55f.jpg

While many believe the divine magic can only be granted by the power of a deity, the truly enlightened know that such a belief is a fallacy. Indeed Beholders, Archdevils and other beings of great power have been known to have followers empowered with divine magic and some clerics can manifest their powers solely from belief in an ideal and nothing more. However, out of all these "alternative acolytes" who draw their power from a non-deifc source of divine power, none is more mysterious, powerful and feared then the Wyrmpriest.

The Wyrmpriests are powerful arcane spellcasters who's magical prowess has attracted the attention of dragonkind. Part priest, part mage, Wyrmpriests are the most elite servants of draconic deities and dragonkind, gaining their powers from their veneration of dragons, power of belief and the guidance of powerful draconic patrons who put them through the mystic rites that enable them to access their divine powers without sacrificing their arcane might. They are both mages and priests, masters of the arcane and weilders of the divine who stand above all others whom claim to serve dragonkind.

Prerequisites

Skills: Knowledge(Arcana) 8 Ranks, Knowledge(Religion) 8 Ranks, Spellcraft 8 Ranks
Feats: Dragonfriend or Dragonthrall, at least one spell focus feat and one metamagic feat
Languages: Draconic
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 3rd level Arcane Spells
Special: Must worship a dragon deity or follow an ideal somehow relating to dragons or dragonkind. Must have undergone a rite of initiation to become a wyrmpriest preformed by a dragon.

Class Features

Hit Die: d4
Proficiencies: The Wyrmpriest gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.
Class Skills: Bluff(Cha), Concentration(Con), Heal(Wis) Intimidate(Cha), Knowledge(all skills taken individually)(Int), Profession(wis), Spellcraft(Int)
Skill Points Per-Level: 2+Int Modifier

Wyrmpriest
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Turn/Rebuke Undead, Oath of the Wyrmpriest|---

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Wyrmpriest Domain Access|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Breath Weapon|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|---|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Spontaneous Channeling|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|---|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Second Domain|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Wings of the Dragon|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Draconic Servant|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|True Priesthood|---[/table]

Spellcasting: At every level except 1st and 10th, the Wyrmpriest gains new spells per day, spells known(if applicable) and an increase in caster level as if she had gained a level in whatever spellcasting class in which she could cast 3rd level arcane spells before she took the Wyrmpriest class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would gain(such as increasing the power of a familiar, or an improved chance of controlling or rebuking undead ect..) from leveling up.

Oath of the Wyrmpriest: When the Wyrmpriest goes through the rites of initiation they make an oath to their draconic patrons. The Wyrmpriest is forbidden from killing a dragon who shares an alignment with them on the good/evil axis. If they do so they lose all their Wyrmpriest class features and must have an atonement spell cast on them by a dragon or servant of a draconic deity at least 24 hours after they engage in the act to regain them. If the Wyrmpriest is neutral this ability applies to all dragons, good and evil.

Turn/Rebuke Undead (Su): One of the most basic divine arts is the ability to use positive or negative energy to influence undead, and it is this art that the Wyrmpriest first learns upon receiving the rites. At 1st level, the Wyrmpriest gains the ability to turn or rebuke undead as a cleric of her character level. Whether she turns or rebukes undead is dependent on her alignment. If she is good, she turns undead. If she is evil, she instead rebukes them. If she is neutral she may choose whether she turns or rebuke rebukes undead at 1st level, but once the choice is made it cannot be changed. The Wyrmpriest can use this ability a number of times per-day equal to 3+ her Cha-modifier.

Wyrmpriest Domain Access: As a priest of dragonkind, the Wyrmpriest gains access to divine domains related to her draconic patrons. At 2nd level, the Wyrmpriest gains access to a single cleric domain from the following list: Dragon, Scallykind, Magic, Spell, Glory, Domination. If the Wyrmpriest turns undead she cannot choose the domination domain and if she rebukes them she cannot choose the glory domain. She gains access to both the granted power and spells of the chosen domain.

The Wyrmpriest dose not gain spell access in the typical manner, however. Instead, she gains one domain spell slot for each spell level she is able to cast which can only be used to prepare the spells of her chosen domain. Spells from her domain can only be prepared in these slots and are prepared in the same way a cleric prepares their spells; through prayer and meditation. These spells are cast as divine spells but use the Wyrmpriest's casting stat to determine their save DCs and whether or not the Wyrmpriest is able to cast them. When the Wyrmpriest gains access to a new level of spells they also gain one new domain slot of that spell level and can prepare and cast domain spells of that level in the same way as those she could already cast. Spontaneous spellcasters gain these domain spell slots just as prepared ones, and they too must prepare their domain spells as described here.

Breath Weapon (Su): As the Wyrmpriest grows in power she begins to gain dragon-like powers. At 3rd level, the Wyrmpriest chooses one type of dragon that within one step of her alignment; she gains the breath weapon associated with her dragon type from the list below. This breath weapon deals 5d6 damage of the type specified by her chosen dragon type in the list below. Creatures caught in the area of effect of this breath weapon are allowed a reflex save for half damage against a DC of 10 +1/2 the Wyrmpriest's caster level + the higher of the Wyrmpriest's intelligence and charisma modifiers. This ability can be used at will as an attack action, but has a recharge time of 1d4 rounds.

Breath Weapon Types:

Black: 60ft line, acid damage
Blue: 60ft line, electricity damage
Green: 30ft cone, acid damage
Red: 30ft cone, fire damage
White: 30ft cone, cold damage
Brass: 60ft line, fire damage
Bronze: 60ft line, electricity damage
Copper: 60ft line, acid damage
Silver: 30ft cone, cold damage
Gold: 30ft cone, fire damage

Spontaneous Channeling (Su): The Wyrmpriest's evolution into a true wielder of the divine continues as she grows in power. At level 5, if the wyrmpriest is a spellcaster who must prepare her arcane spells, she gains the ability to spontaneously convert her prepared spells to "cure" or "inflict" spells of an equal level in the exact same way a cleric does, despite the fact she dose not know these spells. If the Wyrmpriest turns undead, she can only convert her prepared spells to "cure" spells. If she rebukes undead, she can only convert them to "inflict" spells. These spells are cast as divine spells but use the Wyrmpriest's casting stat to determine whether or not the Wyrmpriest can cast them and their DCs(if applicable.)

If the Wyrmpriest spontaneously casts her arcane spells she instead adds all "Inflict" or all "cure" spells to her spells known at the levels they appear on the cleric spell list. If she turns undead, she adds all "cure" spells to her spells known. If she rebukes undead, she adds all "Inflict" spells to her spells known. When she gains access to a new spell level she immediately adds all "cure" or "inflict" spells of that spell level on the cleric spell list to her spells known. Any "cure" or "inflict" spells cast by a spontaneous arcane casting Wyrmpriest are cast as divine spells but use the casting stat of the Wyrmpriest to determine whether or not the Wyrmpriest can cast them and their DCs(if applicable.).

Second Wyrmpriest Domain: The Wyrmpriest's path eventually leads one to a greater connection of the divine and reveals to the Wyrmpriest another divine domain. At 7th level, the Wyrmpriest gains access to a 2nd cleric domain from the following list: Dragon, Scallykind, Magic, Spell, Glory, Domination. If the Wyrmpriest turns undead, she cannot choose the domination domain and if she rebukes undead she cannot choose glory. She gains access to both the granted power and spells of this domain, and prepares and casts the domain's spells in they exact same manner as the spells gained from her first domain. These spells, like those from her first domain, are cast as divine spells that use the Wyrmpriest's casting stat to determine which of these spells the Wymrpirest can cast and their DCs.

Wings of the Dragon (Su): As the Wyrmpriest grows in power she gains the ability of draconic flight. At 8th level, the Wyrmpriest gains the ability to, as a standard action, grow dragon wings that match the type of dragon chosen when she gained her breath weapon. These wings give the Wyrmpriest a fly speed of 60ft with average maneuverability. These wings can be dismissed as a free action

Draconic Servant: Eventually the Wyrmpriest's great power attracts to them a loyal dragon servant. At 9th level the Wyrmpriest gains the service of a loyal dragon cohort. This cohort must be of the type of dragon chosen then the Wyrmpriest received her breath weapon. The cohort follows the rules for cohorts described under the leadership feat. The Wyrmpriest does not gain any followers from this ability, only a single cohort. The cohort's effective character level is determined by the Wyrmpriest's leadership score and character level exactly as if the cohort has been gained by means of the leadership feat.

True Priesthood: At the peak of their power the Wyrmpriest becomes a true priest, capable of casting spells usually exclusive to clerics. At 10th level and every level after the Wyrmpriest can learn and cast spells from the cleric spell list, even if they don't appear on the lists of any spellcasting class she has, unless they are "cure" or "inflict" spells or are opposed to the Wyrmpriest's alignment. Such spells are cast as divine spells if they don't appear on the Wyrmpriest's class spell list. They still use the Wyrmpriest's primary casting stat to determine whether or not the Wyrmpriest can cast them and their DCs, This class feature grants access to the spells, but not extra spells per-day or known spells.

The Wyrmpriest can likewise read and use scrolls and other writings that contain cleric spells and use wands and staffs that contain cleric spells. If the Wymrpriest has the ability to learn arcane spells from written sources they can also learn cleric spells from written sources in the same manner they can learn arcane spells. If the Wyrmpriest would add bonus spells to their spellbook from leveling up they can choose to add cleric spells as well as spells from their own class spell list. If the Wyrmpriest is a spontaneous arcane spellcaster, she may upon reaching level 10 switch out any of her known spells for cleric spells of equivalent level. In addition, whenever she gains new spells known she may choose cleric spells as well as spells from her standard class spell list.

(NOTES: This class is very much in rough draft state and thus, I know it may be a tad OP. This class was designed to be an alternative to the "Rainbow Servant" with a less-restrictive "draconic" theme and a different set of abilities made to better fit the draconic theme of the class. Anyway, the basic idea of the class was a PrC that slowly turns a Arcane caster into a psudo-cleric that is devoted to dragons. However, I want help with this class. I want the balance point to be tier 1, yet I don't want it to be so broken that it can never see play in an actual 3.5e game. So, think any of you could help me make this balanced enough to be played in an actual game of 3.5e?)

Zale
2012-03-29, 04:23 PM
Wyrmpriest Lich, anyone?

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx249/Zale13/DP.jpg

I can't peach for the life of me, so I'll just say it looks cool.

Giegue
2012-04-05, 06:25 PM
Thanks, nice to know somebody thinks the concept is interesting. Anyway, this class could really use some more input.

Madara
2012-04-05, 06:38 PM
ok, let's see. This is hard to PEACH, because its a PrC for T1, and as such it'll either be a neft or really powerful.

That said, this is an awesome class. Very powerful, very cool. I can see a Kobold doing this class.

a little bit of nitpicking:

Breath Weapon (Su). 3/day at level 20 is very meh. I would cap the damage at 5d6 and then have it be at will as an attack action, with a recharge of 1d4 rounds.

Wings of the Dragon (Su): Flight is again quite strong, especially perma-flight. But, we're dealing with T1s so it isn't something that they don't already have. It fits the flavor, and it works.

Final thoughts: Its strong, and steals the Cleric's abilities, making it crazy. So, I suggest requiring the loss of the familiar class feature, which would also mean that the person would lose their ACF that they gained from dropping familiar. I mean, Domains+Spontaneous+Turning= cleric, but you're adding that to the character without dropping anything. So, yeah. I'd make them lose something.

Giegue
2012-04-05, 07:15 PM
Made the changes you suggested, with an added restriction on them killing dragons. Thought it would be thematic that if they kill a dragon, they have to atone as a cleric who fails to live up to their deity's expectations does.

userpay
2012-04-06, 12:51 AM
Made the changes you suggested, with an added restriction on them killing dragons. Thought it would be thematic that if they kill a dragon, they have to atone as a cleric who fails to live up to their deity's expectations does.

Actually I'd argue that the Oath shouldn't be quite that restrictive. Afterall I'd imagine that if you serve the metallics the chromatics aren't going to like you much regardless ect.

Zale
2012-04-06, 03:52 AM
Final thoughts: Its strong, and steals the Cleric's abilities, making it crazy. So, I suggest requiring the loss of the familiar class feature, which would also mean that the person would lose their ACF that they gained from dropping familiar. I mean, Domains+Spontaneous+Turning= cleric, but you're adding that to the character without dropping anything. So, yeah. I'd make them lose something.

I would disagree. You loose a spell level that you would otherwise have.

So a Wizard 5/Wyrm Priest 2 would miss out on 4th level spells that a pure Wizard would have.

So if the OP is really worried about this being to strong, they could just drop another level of casting, then remove the silly familiar restrictions.

I would say that you should be at least within one step of alignment with whatever type of dragon you're worshiping.

Giegue
2012-04-07, 09:17 AM
Edited again to change the oath restriction to be based on aligenment rather then just all dragons.

Spuddles
2012-10-01, 01:10 PM
You're giving it turning and divine spells, straight up. That's ripe for divine metamagic abuse. I would have it lost another spell level at 10. A wizard that can get spell levels from the cleric list is pretty crazy.

Giegue
2012-10-01, 03:40 PM
I never considered DMM with this. If I did make it lose another CL would you get rid of the fammilar loss, like some others suggested?

Dralnu
2012-10-01, 04:08 PM
Hmm. You lose 1 CL. You gain access to DMM abuse, 2 domains to basically make up for the CL and then some, cohort replacing a familiar, then finally access to all cleric spells. The rest is thematic fluff.

Essentially you're taking the Wizard and giving him all the benefits of a Cleric (plus a dragon cohort) all for the price of 1 CL, which still gives him access to Miracle and whatever. From Super Overpowered to Super Duper Overpowered. That's from a mechanics standpoint.

From a roleplay perspective, it seems simple and maybe a little generic. How dragony the class will come off depends on how the PC uses the class. You don't really need wings when Fly is such a common spell, breath attack is weak versus your spell alternatives. You can take flavorful dragon spells, and the domains help encourage that (I'd hope? I haven't checked the actual spells given by them), but so can any arcane dude.

For suggestions, I'd only get rid of the familiar once you can attain a cohort. I'd also have the breath attack deal d6 damage equal to half your level so it scales. As for the rest, I dunno what your goals are for this PrC.

EDIT: Ah, there are specific goals. Well, as it stands I think this PrC is like tier 0.8. Tier 1 breaks the game in half, this PrC doesn't break it "more," it just makes it even easier to break it.

The two biggies are turn/rebuke undead leading to DMM and the capstone which just adds to the versatility. If you tone those down then it might be in line with clerics/wizards.

To balance, you just need to ask yourself, "Why wouldn't a wizard want to go into this over XYZ PrC?"

Spuddles
2012-10-01, 09:43 PM
A familiar isn't worth anything. Any arcane caster can get one with obtain familiar. In fact, google the lightning warrior. The joke there is giving up a familiar for.... Well, truly it sacrifices power for flavor. ;)

I think loss of two caster levels would be justified, as then I would seriously consider if entry was worth it.

What happens when a warmage or beguiler takes all 10 levels? Spontaneous casting from all cleric spells?

SinsI
2012-10-02, 04:41 AM
First level is... underwhelming, to say the least. All you get is a Disadvantage and Turn Undead - at a cost of a spell level!