PDA

View Full Version : Divine Striker

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-29, 09:41 AM
Hey, so I'm wondering if it's possible to build a divine caster who can dish out damage like a duskblade. Decent melee combat, but also some serious magic damage up close and personal. The goal for the build is to make use of the Quicken Spell feat as often as possible, especially when it comes to the harm spell.

The problem here is that the majority of metamagic reducer feats seem to only work with arcane spells. Yes, clerics get Divine Metamagic, but it seems like that's all they get, and they can't just passively reduce the cost of their metamagic feats like wizards.

I'm no fan of the Charisma score. I personally think it is rather abyssmal that it is so completely irrelevant to the majority of your character, only affecting a few social skills and maybe some class features, but not anything else like Int, Wis, Con, Dex, and Str do. So Divine Metamagic does not look particularly attractive to me. Nightstick stacking seems cheesy and not at all RAI, and clerics get no bonus feats, meaning I have very few resources left if I blow all my feats on Extra Turning.

So...what do you do here? How do you toss out negative energy damage every round while still smashing faces with your morningstar?

Kalim
2012-03-29, 10:05 AM
Gun for a beefier weapon than a Morningstar. :P

You can grab a Reliquary Holy Symbol for a few more turn attempts (Gives you a +1 for having a Divine feat, for having 5 or more ranks of Kno: Religion, and for having Improved Turning - you'll likely pass up this last feat and just get the +2 attempts.) It takes up your WIS slot, but if your DM lets you use MIC rules for enhancing items with stats, it's not too bad.

Your character concept sounds a lot like a Ruby Knight Vindicator. Grab a few Cleric and Crusader levels, then PrC on in. You ought to worship Wee Jas, but if you're tossing out Harms, that seems right up your alley anyways.

Biggest caveat is if your DM is cool with Tome of Battle. If they are, then grats, you just got a melee powerhouse with decent maneuvers, decent spellcasting, and a bunch of extra swift actions for using... Turn attempts, I believe.

Morph Bark
2012-03-29, 12:26 PM
Must it be without Duskblade? Duskblade 3/Any 2/Ur-Priest X could do it some. :smallwink:

Other than that, there is of course just Druid with Natural Spell and Cleric with Divine Metamagic (Quicken), which is one of the few options to do what you want, at least if you want to cast spells and use melee attacks in the same round. There might be a way to base Turn attempts off Wisdom though, but that is likely Dragon material.

Ezekiul
2012-03-29, 06:07 PM
You might want to consider the Sovereign Speaker PrC in faiths of eberron (iirc). It gives 7/9 divine casting, and a bonus domain every level. You can choose domains that can be turned into devotions and use your turn undead attempts to full them or just use the domain powers for general buffing. Plus you will have a nice variety of spells to choose from due to the domains.
The link to the handbook is here:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3927.0

Thurbane
2012-03-30, 01:55 AM
Divine version of Duskblade's channelling? Ordained Champion (CC), Smiting Spell feat (PHB2) or Duskblade 13/Urpriest 7...

Aegis013
2012-03-30, 02:01 AM
I realize this isn't exactly what you want, but it's something I think can do some of the things you're looking for (excluding passive metamagic reduction)

some combo of 5 levels of Cleric and Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/ some combo of 5 levels of cleric and/or crusader.

Flaws: Shaky, Murky-eyed
Feats: (toss either Power Attack or Stone Power, whichever you like least if not playing a human)
1. Power Attack, Stone Power, Extra Granted Maneuver, Quicken Spell
3. DMM: Quicken Spell
6-18: Extra Turning

Use a bunch of Extra turning feats to use Divine Impetus for additional swift actions, and DMM: Quicken to blast out a ton of spells. Then cut your enemy down with interesting ToB maneuvers. It's a build I plan to use for a campaign that will hopefully occur this summer.

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-31, 10:53 AM
I realize this isn't exactly what you want, but it's something I think can do some of the things you're looking for (excluding passive metamagic reduction)

some combo of 5 levels of Cleric and Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/ some combo of 5 levels of cleric and/or crusader.

Flaws: Shaky, Murky-eyed
Feats: (toss either Power Attack or Stone Power, whichever you like least if not playing a human)
1. Power Attack, Stone Power, Extra Granted Maneuver, Quicken Spell
3. DMM: Quicken Spell
6-18: Extra Turning

Use a bunch of Extra turning feats to use Divine Impetus for additional swift actions, and DMM: Quicken to blast out a ton of spells. Then cut your enemy down with interesting ToB maneuvers. It's a build I plan to use for a campaign that will hopefully occur this summer.

That doesn't work. The feat Quicken Spell clearly states you can only use it once per round. Even if it has been errata'd to a swift action, I'm pretty sure the "Once per round' language was not removed.

Snowbluff
2012-03-31, 11:20 AM
While we're here, I'll drop a note that Holy Transformation gives a Sacred Str bonus, Divine Power Gives an Enhancement, and that Righteous Might give a Size bonus. Righteous Wrath of the Faithful gives you another attack (similiar to Haste) and a +3/+3 atk/dmg.

Aegis013
2012-03-31, 02:11 PM
That doesn't work. The feat Quicken Spell clearly states you can only use it once per round. Even if it has been errata'd to a swift action, I'm pretty sure the "Once per round' language was not removed.

You are correct. Well, that will help me keep my character from being too much stronger than other peoples', but it probably means I can afford to lose some Extra Turnings. Thanks for pointing that out.

Cieyrin
2012-03-31, 03:37 PM
There's a lack of Knight of the Raven, combined with Ordained Champion and possibly Sactified One of Kord for Sacred Fire.

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-31, 10:10 PM
There's a lack of Knight of the Raven, combined with Ordained Champion and possibly Sactified One of Kord for Sacred Fire.

I've heard a lot about Sanctified One of Kord, but never its source. What book is it in? (Please don't say Deities and Demigods :smallsigh:)

FlamingKobold
2012-03-31, 11:44 PM
I've heard a lot about Sanctified One of Kord, but never its source. What book is it in? (Please don't say Deities and Demigods :smallsigh:)

Complete Champion, if I recall correctly

Cieyrin
2012-04-01, 11:46 AM
Complete Champion, if I recall correctly

Yes, Complete Champion, where Ordained Champion is also from. Sanctified One of Kord is just a version the Sanctified One class, of which there are 4 published and guidelines for more.