PDA

View Full Version : Orcs of the endless and unconquered Forest (OOC)



Pages : 1 2 [3]

Re'ozul
2013-05-20, 12:50 PM
Rolling something you don't need to know:
Surprise @ 1-10: [roll0]
If Surprise, Severity: [roll1]

Okay, unless you have something to get in the main camp, I will need Spot checks from everyone who thinks he/she will actually be attentive on the way to the minor goblin camp.

Man on Fire
2013-05-20, 01:02 PM
Rolling something you don't need to know:
Surprise @ 1-10: [roll0]
If Surprise, Severity: [roll1]

Okay, unless you have something to get in the main camp, I will need Spot checks from everyone who thinks he/she will actually be attentive on the way to the minor goblin camp.

Okay then, one spot check [roll0]

Rolled 1 - does that mean that Rada spots a dancing bear that isn't really there?

Sutremaine
2013-05-20, 01:08 PM
Nawwwwwww.

Winds
2013-05-20, 01:18 PM
Spot check: [roll0]

Sutremaine
2013-05-20, 01:36 PM
Oh wait, I have Malphas today. Nuts.

Probably no point in making a Spot check anyway, unless it's against a particularly interesting beetle or something. Ehh...

1d20-5

Actually, never mind.

rweird
2013-05-20, 02:18 PM
Grazik:
Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Zalgrin:
Listen: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]
Also he has Scent in case that helps.

EDIT: I think I'll notice whatever it is, if anything.

Grazik would be paying attention because of the incident with the gnolls and wants to be on the lookout for gnolls or whatever, and Zalgrin just because it is a good habit to stay alert.

Are we linked?

Man on Fire
2013-05-20, 03:06 PM
Attempting Listen now, maybe it will go better [roll0]

GnomeGninjas
2013-05-20, 06:56 PM
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Re'ozul
2013-05-21, 10:06 AM
The mental link allows you quick information transfer, probably a lot faster than speech. However, one thing I need to know:

Are you staying on the move (probably at normal walking speed 40ft/rd with mounds), slowing down or stopping outright at the moment?

Sutremaine
2013-05-21, 01:35 PM
As far as I know we're staying at normal move speed unless we'd get too close to do anything about the goblins except go right past them. At 40 feet a round I don't think we're even halfway yet.

rweird
2013-05-21, 04:01 PM
If it is a forest with difficult terrain we'd be going at under 40 ft/round, either 20 or 10.

Re'ozul
2013-05-21, 04:55 PM
well 40ft is movement speed, so double move would be 80'. So you are moving at half top speed if you go 40ft.

rweird
2013-05-21, 05:09 PM
I didn't think we were hustling. Were we?

Sutremaine
2013-05-21, 05:43 PM
I calculate that at 40ft a round it would take us 6 hours 36 minutes to travel exactly 30 miles. We set out early in the morning, so we should get there with most of the day left without hustling.

rweird
2013-05-21, 05:44 PM
I calculate that at 40ft a round it would take us 6 hours 36 minutes to travel exactly 30 miles. We set out early in the morning, so we should get there with most of the day left without hustling.

Forest terrain reduces this to 20 ft/round. Did you include that?

Sutremaine
2013-05-21, 06:27 PM
There aren't any paths winding through the trees at all? If not, then it's 20ft a round without hustling, which makes 13 hours 12 minutes. You get one hour of hustling before you start taking non-lethal and getting fatigued, and that one hour isn't going to put much of a dent in the 13.

Maybe we should have made it a two-day trip...

Re'ozul
2013-05-21, 08:50 PM
No, you can move 40ft without hustling. Remember, you lived your entire life in the forest, know the forest AND your mounts are adapted to the forest to the same or an even greater degree.

Sutremaine
2013-05-21, 09:08 PM
I thought it was odd that we couldn't even find any thin spots or animal trails between the trees and bushes. And, thinking about it, we have been covering the distance between home and the human camp at normal speed.

Re'ozul
2013-05-22, 06:09 PM
Do you have the magic translation amulet?
Because it seems only Smith can actually speak Goblin naturally.
(So with the amulet he can give the necessary speech sample)

Sutremaine
2013-05-22, 06:44 PM
What about Arboreal?

Re'ozul
2013-05-22, 07:07 PM
Huh, that just had me look up several things that led to interesting discoveries about the general nature of Goblins and had me integrate some more stuff into their version here.

Arboreal is fine. For these ones.
You do not want to hear the Arboreal attempts of the Goblin Grunts.

Sutremaine
2013-05-22, 08:02 PM
Found some old notes?

There's also the helm from the last armoury trip (did everyone get round to picking something?), though unless their comprehension of Arboreal is better than their speech it won't help.

Edit to avoid double post: Heh, we're being rather pleasant here. I guess it's nice to finally speak to a stranger who isn't a tree-killer or an orc-killer or just plain eldritch.

Sutremaine
2013-06-04, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I never liked mushrooms anyway!
lol, what's that all about?

GnomeGninjas
2013-06-04, 08:04 PM
lol, what's that all about?
It was suggested that we give the pinkskins mushrooms in place of trees.

"Yes... we present some of the magic-tolerant mushrooms to the pinkskins, and see if they're a substitute for whole trees. How much could you have ready in the next day or two?" He hoped this would work, and quickly. If only they could get to the tower -- surely they would be able to communicate with the pinkskin country more efficiently from there.

Sutremaine
2013-06-04, 08:07 PM
No, I mean the random mushroom-hating. :smalltongue:

@DM
How big are these mushrooms? What's the 'ours' referred to by 'as big as yours'? How long will they keep after being harvested?

Re'ozul
2013-06-04, 08:14 PM
Thats what happnes when I post while very sleepy.
It was supposed to be "as large as you".

The harvest thing you'll have to ask.
Though drying mushrooms is a common thing and dried and bespelled mushrooms hold very long.
They are an easy organism compared to a tree. So can be easily grown. If even these magically bred mushrooms are anywhere near as useful as wood remains to be seen.

GnomeGninjas
2013-06-04, 08:15 PM
No, I mean the random mushroom-hating. :smalltongue:

@DM
How big are these mushrooms? What's the 'ours' referred to by 'as big as yours'? How long will they keep after being harvested?

Oh, I see. Mal doesn't particular like mushrooms and he didn't have anything useful to contribute to the conversation but still wanted to contribute something.

Winds
2013-06-06, 05:05 PM
FYI: I am back, and caught up. (But I have nothing to say IC right now.)

Man on Fire
2013-06-06, 05:20 PM
I'll post tomorrow, sorry but this week has been a hell on rolleskaters for me.

Sutremaine
2013-06-06, 05:53 PM
Hope it's going a bit better now.

Sutremaine
2013-06-06, 06:15 PM
Hope it's going a bit better now.

Edit to avoid double post: What are we going to be doing down there? I'm alright because I'm the party face, but there's not much for anyone else to do at the moment.

Man on Fire
2013-06-06, 06:35 PM
Rada may help carrying the Mushrooms :smallsmile:

Sutremaine
2013-06-06, 07:05 PM
You could probably chop them down pretty well too, though I don't know if your blade would be too impressed with the job...

Man on Fire
2013-06-06, 07:12 PM
That depends if the Mushrooms bleed. Through who knows, maybe mushroom killed that sword's dad, Hackmaster +12?

Re'ozul
2013-06-06, 07:24 PM
Just don't have it burst into flames ... unless you're hungry.

Mhmmm, grilled mushroom.

Sutremaine
2013-06-06, 07:25 PM
Or maybe they're campestri. I bet goblins would love having those around... for other people.

rweird
2013-06-06, 07:27 PM
Zalgrin could carry around 400 pounds of mushrooms too, more like 550 pounds if I wild shape into something else, and then could carry more myself. Mal also has a tiger to carry some mushrooms if he'd be okay with that.

I could Wild Shape into a Crocodile (am I familiar with them? I am a water Orc after all, though I don't know if they'd like anywhere in this forest) and carry 170 pounds of mushrooms maintaining full mobility.

Of course, we could decide to carry medium or heavy loads.

What is the group's speed normally again?

Re'ozul
2013-06-06, 07:35 PM
You are familiar with alligators. Though they aren't common around here.

Sutremaine
2013-06-06, 08:01 PM
The brooch I have increases base speed by 50%, which will offset the speed reduction for a heavy load. So if Zalgrin has that, he can carry his max load in mushrooms and still move at 40ft.

Edit: if speed matters, anyway.

rweird
2013-06-07, 05:12 AM
Then he'd be able to carry 2720 pounds of mushrooms, assuming he have some way to stop it from falling off (forgot the quadruped bonus). Still, I feel that even if we all could carry as much as Zalgrin, we'd make a insignificant contribution to what the pinkskins need.

Sutremaine
2013-06-07, 10:43 AM
For everyday use, yes. But as a test sample, it might be enough.

Sutremaine
2013-06-14, 06:21 PM
Can we get into the cave now, or is it going to be uneventful enough to skip?

Where are we taking the mushrooms, anyway? Back home, or presenting them to the humans?

Man on Fire
2013-06-15, 01:11 AM
Why cannot we do both?
Through, to no split the party I say we go to humans first.

Sutremaine
2013-06-15, 05:50 PM
We could give most of them to the humans and take a few back for study.

Man on Fire
2013-06-15, 06:21 PM
Sounds like a plan.

Sutremaine
2013-06-21, 12:58 PM
@DM

Have you considered instituting some sort of posting time limit outside of combat? It's been four days -- anybody who hasn't posted by now is unlikely to do so.

rweird
2013-06-21, 01:04 PM
@DM

Have you considered instituting some sort of posting time limit outside of combat? It's been four days -- anybody who hasn't posted by now is unlikely to do so.

I think we are waiting for the goblins to tell us how to transport the mushrooms out of the cavern.

Winds
2013-06-21, 02:08 PM
That's what I thought, yeah.

rweird
2013-06-22, 09:40 PM
Yeah, my teleportation wouldn't help, I could do 3 ~50 ft jumps/day. It'd require around 6 jumps. Probably not worth it.

Re'ozul: Can Zalgrin squeeze in the tunnel?

Re'ozul
2013-06-23, 06:36 AM
Yes he can, though he really doesn't like it. Think of a Dachshund going down a foxhole.

rweird
2013-06-23, 07:30 AM
Yes he can, though he really doesn't like it. Think of a Dachshund going down a foxhole.

Though I presume that he couldn't really carry anything out with him.

Re'ozul
2013-06-23, 10:03 AM
Yep. Dragging would work, but with the roughness of the tunnels...

GnomeGninjas
2013-06-23, 12:59 PM
Could we chop the mushrooms up before transport?

Sutremaine
2013-06-23, 02:32 PM
I have 2 square yards of canvas in my backpack, plus 50ft of rope. Can we do something with that?

Re'ozul
2013-06-23, 03:48 PM
Are you asking me?

Sutremaine
2013-06-23, 04:36 PM
Just sounding out the idea, though it'd be handy to know if the floor is rough enough to tear up the canvas or rope.

Re'ozul
2013-06-23, 06:37 PM
Floor is slick with water and has some sharp stones. It would probably not survive too well.

Sutremaine
2013-06-23, 07:01 PM
Okay then, how about we hire some of the locals to ferry the mushrooms up? They might not be able to carry much individually, but between all of them they can shift more than we can.

Man on Fire
2013-06-23, 07:21 PM
I don't have naything to add for now.

Re'ozul
2013-06-26, 09:34 AM
If you are having trouble coming up with a solution, I'd like to remind you that your own ressources are not the only ones available.

Sutremaine
2013-06-26, 01:42 PM
The goblins won't help?

Man on Fire
2013-06-26, 03:28 PM
We might send somebody to get few guys from our camps, right?

Re'ozul
2013-06-26, 04:28 PM
The goblins won't help?

Where did you get that? I intended to imply the exact opposite.

Sutremaine
2013-06-26, 04:46 PM
I did mention the goblins (the locals) in my post above...

Anyway, better ask them IC then.

Winds
2013-06-30, 10:26 PM
"Hmm?" Kusque stepped back a few paces, flicking the blade out of habit despite it being only slightly damp, and watched with interest as Gell aimed his bow. He'd yet to see that particular armoury treasure in action.


Well, you have. It just wasn't quite as...extreme in results as several of the others. (Clearly.) The relevant info:

"Burst Arrow": This arrow merely does half its normal damage but loses cohesion on impact. As such it creates a burst of air that initiates a bullrush with a check equal to the attack roll. This bullrush works on the shot enemy as well as enemies adjacent to it. A burst arrow shot into a wind wall momentarily disables the wall allowing subsequent shots from the same direction to cross the wall at a mere -2 penalty for one round.


Used it once against the gnolls, once or twice against Rage-Rada.


(This changes nothing, I'm just pedantic like that.)

Sutremaine
2013-06-30, 11:14 PM
Kusque was running around and stabbing stuff and has a -6 Spot/Listen modifier and was also sore about Sorunnar being disappointed in him.

I'd forgotten about it being used against Rada, though he might have been distracted enough at the time to have not noticed. I haven't gone back to double-check what I wrote.

Re'ozul
2013-07-01, 08:48 AM
Plus, even if Kusque saw it before, that was in a fight where, on top of bad spot/listen, things are kind of hectic.

Sutremaine
2013-07-10, 10:54 AM
*poke*

*tenchar*

Sutremaine
2013-07-22, 07:03 PM
It just rained for literally thirty seconds or so, and that's about the only time it's rained all month... I'm getting rather sick of this heat, though at least I didn't go to the hospital for dehydration like one of my workmates.

Man on Fire
2013-07-23, 06:12 AM
It just rained for literally thirty seconds or so, and that's about the only time it's rained all month... I'm getting rather sick of this heat, though at least I didn't go to the hospital for dehydration like one of my workmates.

<hug>
I now how you feel, it's horribly warm here too.

GnomeGninjas
2013-07-23, 07:25 AM
<hug>
I now how you feel, it's horribly warm here too.

Its been hot where I live as well. Fortunately storms are predicted today, maybe they'll cool things down.

Winds
2013-07-23, 08:57 AM
Weather is...interesting, certainly. I hope you aren't doing outdoor work in that.

Sutremaine
2013-07-23, 10:16 AM
Thanks -- this time last year it was floods, which while also not typical of a British summer don't affect where I live.

I do work indoors, though the air con is aimed more at the customer side of the shop. At least I can always nip out of customer sight and have a swig of water.

In other news, some guy told me to eff off today so I gave him an ice cream.

Is it unusually hot pretty much everywhere now, or do the rest of you live near or in the UK? Hope the rest of you are doing okay.

GnomeGninjas
2013-07-23, 10:49 AM
In other news, some guy told me to eff off today so I gave him an ice cream.


How'd that work out for you?

Re'ozul
2013-07-30, 03:50 PM
Narrating is fine.

Sutremaine
2013-08-19, 08:11 PM
Whoa, it's been over a week already?

Re'ozul
2013-08-25, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure wether you want me to intervene in any way.
The idea was to just play out some interaction while you go bathing right?

But if general opinion is more to move on with the story, then we can do that too. Just tell me where you are going.

Sutremaine
2013-08-26, 03:55 PM
Move on to the human camp, I think.

I wasn't expecting that much from a passing comment about the mushroom smell -- it's like we all decided to take a nap (http://web.archive.org/web/20061206053732/http://archive.dumpshock.com/CLUE/ShowCLUE.php3?page=casefile22.htm) or something.

Winds
2013-08-26, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't say it's as bad as all that. We may have stalled a bit because of it, but neither our characters nor their goals were harmed by it. (At least, I certainly wouldn't think a half-hour or so of delay to a meeting with someone we already have an accord with hurt hurt us.)

Man on Fire
2013-08-27, 09:42 AM
At worst we played more personalizing angle of our characters by whole idea of taking a bath. Even heroes need a break like this sometimes.