PDA

View Full Version : Finally. It is BACK! Sim City!!!

Avilan the Grey
2012-03-29, 03:03 PM
Finally (http://www.simcity.com/en_US) it is drawing near :smallbiggrin:

Aidan305
2012-03-29, 03:32 PM
I'm looking forward to this, having enjoyed Sim City ever since playing 2k back in the day.

However, one important question must be asked:

Will there be Llamas?

9mm
2012-03-29, 03:55 PM
Internet required to launch, EA title, I'm staying away.

psilontech
2012-03-29, 04:52 PM
>Earn achievements by meeting your Sims basic demands
Oh Lord, achievements. Nope.jpg

>Multiplayer!
Why?

>Just called 'SimCity'.
It annoys me to no end when publishers pull crap like this. SimCity is already a game, this is SimCity 5.

>EA
Eeeeh. That makes me pretty queasy in and of itself.

Iskandar
2012-03-29, 04:56 PM
Yeah,I was really, really excited to see this game... and then the whole "requires Origin to play" thing. Um, no, just no. I barely tolerate Steam, I have absolutely zero interest in spreading my digital downloaded games to yet another service, thanks. Especially EA.

Which is fine, really. As of yet, the track record of bringing back sequels to once beloved games is just not good. Master of Orion, Duke Nukem, Syndicate, X-Com (repeatedly), Star Control, to name a few. Heck, even Sim City itself (Sim City Societies, anyone?).

Actually, I'm keeping an eye on both this, and the new X-Com (the turn based one, not the silly FPS). If both of these games manage to be even somewhat decent I might revise my current policy of extreme skepticism. I'm not really hopeful, however. EA doesn't exactly have the best track record.

Grif
2012-03-29, 07:22 PM
Internet required to launch, EA title, I'm staying away.

Yeah.

Not getting this one. For god sakes, not everything needs a freaking multiplayer mode. Why is EA not getting this simple message?

9mm
2012-03-29, 09:47 PM
Yeah.

Not getting this one. For god sakes, not everything needs a freaking multiplayer mode. Why is EA not getting this simple message?

because EA thinks steam = no used sales; and origin = steam. Despite being wrong on both counts.

Aidan305
2012-03-29, 10:38 PM
Personally, I think that multiplayer could be an interesting new innovation in Sim City. Certainly, it's one I've on occasion wished was there before. How fun(/frustrating) could it be to develop your city with a friend? Potentially very. It's a possible new direction for Sim style games and I'd honestly like to see it work.

JadedDM
2012-03-30, 01:02 AM
Not only that, but everything you buy from Origin comes with SecuROM on it.

So I'll be passing on this one, as well.

Destro_Yersul
2012-03-30, 01:17 AM
Forget that it needs Origin, forget that it's EA, forget about DRM. I can get past those, if the game is good enough. No, the part that gets me is the Internet Required to Launch, and the lack of Single Player Mode. DO NOT WANT.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I honestly prefer single-player gaming the vast majority of the time. This is the same reason I won't be buying Diablo 3. I don't want to play the game with other people. I do not like most other people. I want to play the game by myself. I am increasingly annoyed by the trend towards social gaming, and online multiplayer. Especially online only multiplayer. About the only game I tolerate that in is Minecraft, and that's a special case.

Darth Mario
2012-03-30, 01:29 AM
Forget that it needs Origin, forget that it's EA, forget about DRM. I can get past those, if the game is good enough. No, the part that gets me is the Internet Required to Launch, and the lack of Single Player Mode. DO NOT WANT.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I honestly prefer single-player gaming the vast majority of the time. This is the same reason I won't be buying Diablo 3. I don't want to play the game with other people. I do not like most other people. I want to play the game by myself. I am increasingly annoyed by the trend towards social gaming, and online multiplayer. Especially online only multiplayer. About the only game I tolerate that in is Minecraft, and that's a special case.

Psst... Minecraft's multiplayer isn't online only, you can set up a server on your local network. :smallbiggrin:

But yeah. SimCity. EA, Origin, SecuRom, Always Online. Multiplayer I don't mind, but the others... Pass. There's nothing wrong with the old SimCities that would cause me to switch to that.

Destro_Yersul
2012-03-30, 01:35 AM
Psst... Minecraft's multiplayer isn't online only, you can set up a server on your local network. :smallbiggrin:

By 'online' I mean 'requires more than one machine to use.' Minecraft has server based multiplayer, which requires more than one computer. To forestall any further questions on the point: No. No I don't use my computer to play multiplayer games barring Minecraft. I have a console for that.

Aidan305
2012-03-30, 03:17 AM
Wait, where does it say there's no single player mode?:smallconfused:

Derthric
2012-03-30, 04:55 AM
I hope this doesn't end up like most new PC games with DLC coming out every other month. Its why I don't have Tropico 4 yet.

Also, why is origin worse than steam? I honestly just assumed they are the same only origin is more evil by association of EA.

Ogremindes
2012-03-30, 05:03 AM
Also, why is origin worse than steam? I honestly just assumed they are the same only origin is more evil by association of EA.

Steam was terrible when it was new. It was only over time that it evolved into a good service. Origin is like Steam when Steam was new.

Avilan the Grey
2012-03-30, 05:49 AM
I have never cared for the DRM protest thing. Maybe I should, but I would never let it keep me away from a game I would like.

And this one will not have a StarChild ruining the ending.

Hunter Noventa
2012-03-30, 07:03 AM
I'm wary about the game, I loved Sim City 2k, while 3k and 4 were kinda meh. And we don't talk about that other one. But requiring origin again, and achievement BS? Bleh. Multiplayer could be amusing, I kinda assume it'd be like the regions from SC4, where you have lots of cities interconnected, but your friends can build the other cities.

Still, I'm gonna have to hear a lot of good things about it, considering how much other stuff EA is ruining lately.

Ogremindes
2012-03-30, 07:14 AM
I have never cared for the DRM protest thing. Maybe I should, but I would never let it keep me away from a game I would like.

My view is that there's enough awesome games out there that it's not worth putting up with any crap, even from a franchise as illustrious as SimCity.

Teron
2012-03-30, 07:16 AM
Steam was terrible when it was new. It was only over time that it evolved into a good service. Origin is like Steam when Steam was new.
There's also the fact that Origin is spyware. That's kind of a major issue, in my opinion.

Castaras
2012-03-30, 07:18 AM
Have to use Origin for it, no singleplayer? No thanks.

Shame, was looking forward to this. Guess I'm sticking to 2000 still.

It goes through all the files on your computer, and there is no opt out.

Destro_Yersul
2012-03-30, 12:24 PM
Wait, where does it say there's no single player mode?:smallconfused:

Where does it say there is? They keep harping on about an emphasis on multiplayer and global economy stuff. If they do indeed come out and say there's an offline, singleplayer, nobody-else-can-affect-it-in-any-way mode, I might change my mind. I somehow doubt they will, though.

Derthric
2012-03-30, 12:29 PM
It goes through all the files on your computer, and there is no opt out.

Begerk! Who, what, how? Yeah that's not cool.

And this one will not have a StarChild ruining the ending.

I see what you did there.

Avilan the Grey
2012-03-30, 01:05 PM
Where does it say there is? They keep harping on about an emphasis on multiplayer and global economy stuff. If they do indeed come out and say there's an offline, singleplayer, nobody-else-can-affect-it-in-any-way mode, I might change my mind. I somehow doubt they will, though.

This sounds like conspiracy talk. There is NOTHING on the official page that indicates there is no single player. Now you might have to verify your game online, like with ME3, but that is an entirely different thing.

Destro_Yersul
2012-03-30, 01:17 PM
This sounds like conspiracy talk. There is NOTHING on the official page that indicates there is no single player. Now you might have to verify your game online, like with ME3, but that is an entirely different thing.

Find me something that indicates there is. If they come out and say there is, I might change my mind about the game as I said, but until I get it confirmed by the developers, I narrow my eyes at this game.

And keep in mind, I don't mean 'technically' singleplayer, like you could do on Diablo 3, making a game with a nonsense password so only you can join it. That's not good enough. If it says single player, I want there to be no effect on it from any other people. At all.

Starwulf
2012-03-30, 02:40 PM
Find me something that indicates there is. If they come out and say there is, I might change my mind about the game as I said, but until I get it confirmed by the developers, I narrow my eyes at this game.

And keep in mind, I don't mean 'technically' singleplayer, like you could do on Diablo 3, making a game with a nonsense password so only you can join it. That's not good enough. If it says single player, I want there to be no effect on it from any other people. At all.

While I can agree with the stance of not wanting to play it because of Origin and the fact that Origin is horrible spyware, saying that a password protected game can be affected by other people is a bit off. No-one would have any affect on your game(in Diablo 3, or sim-city) if it's a password protected game. You could play from a starter city/level 1 character, all the way to fully built city/level 60 Character crushing the 4th difficulty level, and never once interact with another human being.

Now, if you're arguing that you want a single-player mode in case your internet goes out, I'm certainly with you there, it is quite an annoyance that you won't be able to play when your net goes out, or the servers go down for repair maintenance. Stupid decision in my opinion, and a perfectly acceptable reason for not buying a game.

Castaras
2012-03-30, 03:35 PM

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116537-New-SimCity-Will-Require-Always-On-Internet-UPDATED?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news

This is what I read, and it implies that there is little to no singleplayer - the always online aspect and the multiplayer information (but no single player information) suggests as such.

Really don't like the always online bit - I like to stay offline in games when I'm not doing multiplayer. :smallyuk:

Elder Tsofu
2012-03-30, 03:36 PM
Why did you have to point out that it needed internet to play? I was getting slowly hyped about this game...

Avilan the Grey
2012-03-30, 03:59 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116537-New-SimCity-Will-Require-Always-On-Internet-UPDATED?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news

This is what I read, and it implies that there is little to no singleplayer - the always online aspect and the multiplayer information (but no single player information) suggests as such.

Really don't like the always online bit - I like to stay offline in games when I'm not doing multiplayer. :smallyuk:

Quote from article:
"UPDATE: Electronic Arts has clarified SimCity's online requirements, saying that the game won't actually require an always-on connection. "You will have to register an Origin account in order to play, and yes, you must be online at all times while playing in order to start playing," according to Gamespy. "EA has confirmed that you will not be kicked out if your connection is interrupted."

That changes things pretty dramatically. I'm still not a fan of the mandatory "phone home" business and I think people on the fence should insist on getting the full DRM low-down before committing, but a Steam-style online check is a big improvement over DRM that gives you the boot if you get the boot."

So there. (Emphasis mine).

Castaras
2012-03-30, 04:13 PM
Quote from article:
"UPDATE: Electronic Arts has clarified SimCity's online requirements, saying that the game won't actually require an always-on connection. "You will have to register an Origin account in order to play, and yes, you must be online at all times while playing in order to start playing," according to Gamespy. "EA has confirmed that you will not be kicked out if your connection is interrupted."

That changes things pretty dramatically. I'm still not a fan of the mandatory "phone home" business and I think people on the fence should insist on getting the full DRM low-down before committing, but a Steam-style online check is a big improvement over DRM that gives you the boot if you get the boot."

So there. (Emphasis mine).

Emphasis mine. :smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2012-03-30, 04:14 PM
Emphasis mine. :smalltongue:

It still strongly contradicts the "No Single payer" argument. This is just like ME3.

Castaras
2012-03-30, 04:15 PM
It still strongly contradicts the "No Single payer" argument. This is just like ME3.

True, I concede that point.

Still disappointed at EA though. :smallfrown:

Iskandar
2012-03-30, 06:01 PM
"Requires an Origin account" is enough for me. I have Steam, thanks, I really don't need another, crappier, version. Especially not a crappier version run by EA.

People keep giving EA their money. Given their track record, this baffles me.

Grif
2012-03-30, 07:32 PM

I haven't given EA my money since I got Dead Space 2 on the cheap (on Steam). Red Alert 3 was the last on-release game I got and it disappointed horribly.

I still might shell out money for ME3, but that is despite EA selling the series, rather than because.

Destro_Yersul
2012-03-30, 07:49 PM
While I can agree with the stance of not wanting to play it because of Origin and the fact that Origin is horrible spyware, saying that a password protected game can be affected by other people is a bit off. No-one would have any affect on your game(in Diablo 3, or sim-city) if it's a password protected game. You could play from a starter city/level 1 character, all the way to fully built city/level 60 Character crushing the 4th difficulty level, and never once interact with another human being.

Now, if you're arguing that you want a single-player mode in case your internet goes out, I'm certainly with you there, it is quite an annoyance that you won't be able to play when your net goes out, or the servers go down for repair maintenance. Stupid decision in my opinion, and a perfectly acceptable reason for not buying a game.

Except that the auction house exists. You don't have to use it, I'm sure, but it's there.

You underestimate how much I hate other people. :smalltongue:

HalfTangible
2012-03-30, 08:05 PM

Meh. I didn't like the old simcity all that much :smallannoyed: the dang thing lagged worse than an ultra-settings MMO on my old comp and I have yet to work up the bravery to try it on this one.

Lamech
2012-03-30, 08:26 PM
"Requires an Origin account" is enough for me. I have Steam, thanks, I really don't need another, crappier, version. Especially not a crappier version run by EA.

People keep giving EA their money. Given their track record, this baffles me.Well you see, EA buys really good games, and then makes them much worse. But the damage they do isn't complete and total destruction, so sometimes they are still worthwhile to buy.

t209
2012-03-30, 08:28 PM
I saw the trailer. It got EMP!
http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/520
Let's be happy that it didn't get created for Facebook.

Grif
2012-03-30, 08:48 PM

Meh. I didn't like the old simcity all that much :smallannoyed: the dang thing lagged worse than an ultra-settings MMO on my old comp and I have yet to work up the bravery to try it on this one.

You mean SimCity 4 right? It is rather unoptimised for the time. SimCity 3000 I had no trouble playing on a contemporary PC.

Avilan the Grey
2012-03-31, 10:42 AM

Yes, because Sims 3, Dragon age Origins, Mass Effect 2 and (soon) Sim City is such an awful track record?

Chumbaniya
2012-03-31, 10:49 AM
On practical grounds I don't think I can justify buying an online-only single player game. I do have a reasonably reliable connection, but I also play a lot of multiplayer games, so I want my single player games to be available if I'm gaming and I do find myself with connection issues.

thegurullamen
2012-03-31, 03:23 PM

I know next to nothing about computers, but everything I hear about the SimCity franchise is that it's built in a weird way where it can't make use of newer computers' full capabilities, so it's harder to optimize against FPS drops and lag.

And I've got no problem purchasing this game so long as there's a way to break the reliance on Origin/an Internet connection. Otherwise, it's Diablo 3 all over again and if I won't trust Blizzard enough to make the always-online leap, I sure as hell won't do it with Origin.