PDA

View Full Version : Into what does my evil Npc Polymorph?

Phaederkiel
2012-03-29, 10:49 PM
Polymorph is decried as beeing broken, so I never saw fit to learn its rules...
Now I want to use it to spice up a fight.

The guy is a cleric 5 / Marshal 1 / thrall of jubilex 10

His Shtick is casting contagion in a City preparing for a siege.

I rather guess my players are going to kill him tomorrow, so I need a really flavorful form he can polymorph into when cornered.
he Polymorphs as an 8th lvl caster.

My Party hits exceedingly hard, but relies on charging to do so. Magical prowess is quite nonexistant.

I think some slime or pudding would be great. But i do not know the forms...
CR: up to 15, maybe weak 16.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-29, 11:37 PM
That's the 3.0 Polymorph Self, which had no HD limitation and allowed you to switch what form you're in any time you want as a full-round action. It also lasted an hour per caster level, and gave you all of the 'natural abilities' of your assumed form, i.e. extraordinary special qualities like Regeneration, SR, and Fast Healing.

You should either make it work as it did in 3.0, and allow him to change between forms for eight hours at a time each day, or make the caster level scale with his character level (or just set it at 15). In either case, he should have access to higher HD forms, such as a War Troll (MM3). Give him Combat Reflexes and Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill) and he shouldn't have too much trouble with chargers.

Aegis013
2012-03-29, 11:43 PM
I can't recommend the best polymorph forms (I typically default to Hydra) but I can say that if the evil NPC has any real information about the party tactics, you can neutralize their a lot of their charging potential.

If they're coming to him, he could grease up all the floors to provide difficult terrain or whatever, or hide in thin, winding pathways so that charges become unusable. Though I understand if you don't want to take away your party's favorite toy, so to speak.

Phaederkiel
2012-03-30, 06:43 AM
I mainly need some good CR 14-16 ooze form.

Elder black pudding seems somewhat weak (if you do not rule his abiltity to dissolve weapons to work against magical weapons, if it does, it is quite overpowered...), and anyway, he can summon a black pudding anytime.

is there anything more fun?

Zubrowka74
2012-03-30, 09:49 AM
The guy is a cleric 5 / Marshal 1 / thrall of jubilex 10

All hail Jubilex, demon prince of mirth and celebration!