PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain to me...TOB question

Cwymbran-San
2012-03-30, 01:54 AM
Hi there,

what is the use of Wolf Fang Strike? As far as i understand the maneuver, you use it to deal a melee attack with each of your hands/weapons with a -2 penalty to each attack.
Sounds like a replacement of the TWF feat, or am i missing a crucial point?

Otherwise, the maneuver seems wasted to me. As a Tiger Claw adept, i would use 2 weapons in most cases, so why not spend the feat?

Zaq
2012-03-30, 02:06 AM
Two things. One, maneuvers cost less than feats, and you probably won't be using both weapons in every single round. It's not great on a Swordsage, but on a Warblade, dual-attacking every other round isn't bad.

Second, and this is the big one, it's a standard action. Usually, using TWF is a full-round action. This is kind of a big deal, especially if you don't have Pounce.

Cwymbran-San
2012-03-30, 02:35 AM
I always thought that attacking with both weapons (one attack for each) is a standard action? I am not talking about Improved or Superior TWF, jsut the standard to remove the penalty asap.

KillianHawkeye
2012-03-30, 04:25 AM
I always thought that attacking with both weapons (one attack for each) is a standard action? I am not talking about Improved or Superior TWF, jsut the standard to remove the penalty asap.

That is incorrect (or a house rule).

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.
(source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fullAttack))

Aeryr
2012-03-30, 04:36 AM
It is cheaper than a feat and can be used as an standard action (both have been noted). Also it can be later on traded for another maneuver (once you get the feat) or can be used to meet prerequisites for other maneuvers (like 1st level stances).

Cwymbran-San
2012-03-30, 05:48 AM
Ah, i get it. My DM usually allows attacking once with each hand as a standard action, so TWF sucks less. I just seemed natural to me, so the maneuver appeared useless. Thank you for the clarification.

chaotician375
2012-03-30, 08:05 AM
Also if you are playing a Swordsage, and Tiger Claw is your Discipline focus Tiger claw, you get your wisdom mod as bonus damage to each attack. Add boosts (burning blade) to that and Shadow Blade (Feat) while in assassins stance with 2 Shadow Hand weapons (short swords), and you can churn out 4D6+22 damage (level 9) with each of those attacks (assuming there flat footed).

Gray Mage
2012-03-30, 08:19 AM
Also, If I remember correctly, the maneuver has the same penalty for every weapon, while the feat can have a bigger one depending on the weapon.

Particle_Man
2012-03-30, 09:55 AM
Also if you are a first level swordsage and you want any other Tiger Claw stuff at that level you have to take Wolf Fang Strike as a prerequisite (although you can switch it out at level 4 if you wish).

Chronos
2012-03-30, 04:06 PM
Personally, I prefer Sudden Leap for a pounce-like effect, since it scales quite well, though it's probably not as useful at low level when you haven't had a chance to pump Jump much yet.

DeltaEmil
2012-03-30, 04:21 PM
Sudden Leap combined with Leaping Dragon stance is quite powerful. If you're building a jumper, that stance is a must-have anyway.

Grendus
2012-03-30, 05:23 PM
I'd rather go with Leap of the Heavens from the PHB II. Always on and frees up your active stance for something more tactical.