PDA

View Full Version : Recursive Artificers; No Charge Blastoficers

The Gilded Duke
2012-03-30, 09:04 AM
So I was re-reading the Eberron Campaign setting today when I noticed something about artificers. Artificers can apply metamagic feats and item creation feats to their infusions.

This allows all sorts of wonderful things like characters buying Oils of Personal Weapon Infusions, it can be used for things far more horrible.

Part 1

Metamagic Item is a 3rd level Infusion that lets you temporarily apply any one Metamagic Feat you know to a Spell Trigger Item (Wand or Staff) for the duration of the infusion. Anybody who uses the item during that time will have your metamagic feat automatically applied. Normally the duration is

One of the metamagic feats you can apply using this is Persistent Spell.
1. Make a Wand of Metamagic Item.
2. Cast Metamagic Item on your wand of Metamagic Item, applying Persistent Spell for a number of rounds.
3. Use your wand to cast Metamagic Item on your offensive wands. Each of these metamagic buffs last for 24 hours.

Make your Orb of Force (etc) wands:
Quickened
Twin Spell
Split Ray
Energy Admixture
Maximized
Empowered

Then in combat you can cast powerful Orbs of Force only only one charge at a time, instead of facing the normal blastoficer money woes.

Part 2
Even if you use Eternal Wands for buffing, you are still using charges when you use your wands. Wand Surge from Magic of Eberron lets you spend an action point instead of a charge when activating a spell trigger item. The fifth level spell Unfettered Heroism from Races of Eberron gives you one temporary action point per round for the duration of the spell.

Unfettered Heroism is too powerful to fit into a wand, however it can still be crafted as a Staff. And as staves are spell trigger items, they are valid targets for Metamagic Item and Wand Surge.

Start the loop by using one of your infusions to cast Metamagic Item (Persistent Spell) on your Staff of Unfettered Heroism. Cast Unfettered Heroism with a 24 hour duration. Using Wand Surge apply metamagic to all your wands. Repeat every 23 hours using Unfettered Heroism to pay the charge cost of Unfettered Heroism.

Potential Wand Setup:
Wand of Orb of Force
Quickened
Twin Spell
Split Ray
Energy Admixture
Maximized
Empowered

Wand of Orb of Force
Twin Spell
Split Ray
Energy Admixture
Maximized
Empowered

Use Dual Wand Wielder to cast two orbs as a full round action, cast a quickened orb as a swift action. Use a Spare Hand to juggle wands between your hands as free actions. This only costs you two charges a round after Unfettered Heroism.

While it gets crazier later, you can get all of the essential pieces with only seven levels of artificer.

Artificer 7
1. Extend Spell
3. Persistent Spell
6. Twin Spell or other Metamagic.

You can cast Metamagic Item at 5th level, but at 7th level you get Craft Wand, giving you a reliable supply of rather specific wands.

Any other ideas for this? Any holes that I'm not seeing?

Chronos
2012-03-30, 04:11 PM
Persist has some very specific (and peculiar) restrictions on what spells it can apply to-- Are you sure you're consistent with that? What's the range on these infusions?

Wings of Peace
2012-03-30, 04:40 PM
What level is Unfettered Heroism? I'm afb at the moment but if it's level 4 you just need to add Sanctum Spell.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-03-30, 05:02 PM
What level is Unfettered Heroism? I'm afb at the moment but if it's level 4 you just need to add Sanctum Spell.

Sadly, its a 5th level spell. Persisting it requires some serious metamagic reduction.

The Gilded Duke
2012-03-30, 05:30 PM
Persistent spell requires a spell to be of fixed or personal range and not to be instantaneous or discharged. Unfettered Heroism is a personal spell. It is a valid target for Persistent spell. Metamagic Item is a touch spell, which is a fixed range and is also a valid target for Persistent spell.

I didn't think about using Sanctum Spell to make a wand of Unfettered Heroism. Even if Sanctum Spell doesn't work it can be made into a Staff, which like a wand is a spell trigger item, and can be powered by Wand Surge, and is a valid target for Metamagic Item.

And part 1 is all about serious metamagic reduction. You cast Metamagic Item on a wand of Metamagic Item to apply Persistent spell to it temporarily. You then take that wand and cast your other metamagic feats on additional wands, giving your wands additional metamagic effects that last all day.

SirFredgar
2012-03-30, 05:35 PM
Problem is: This was fixed in errata. Only item that can be made to store an infusion is the Lesser Schema, simply because it is the only item creation feat that states in text it can store an infusion. ECS Errata sets the default that they cannot make an item of an infusion.

Edit: Also, it's highly debatable if "touch" is in fact a fixed range. Most people cite cust serv's ruling that touch is fixed... but neglect to mention that cust serv has also ruled that touch isn't fixed. I am in the camp that touch is not fixed, and so touch range spells require occular or reach treatment before they qualify for persist.

The Gilded Duke
2012-03-30, 05:50 PM
Ah, I didn't think to check the Errata. Thanks. Everything pretty much falls apart with that, Lesser Schemas are Spell Completion, which can be much harder to manipulate. Still, I'm surprised there "Metamagic Item" isn't discussed more, it seems a pretty easy way to persist all your wands of divine power and so on.

Minor Schema seems to have some uses, I will have to read up more on it.

SirFredgar
2012-03-30, 05:54 PM
Well, you can still manage to put Meta Magic Item on a wand all day long through use of the schema. Basically you apply the infusion Metamagic Scroll (for spell completeion items) and give your Schema of Metamagic Infusion Reach Spell. Then use Metamagic Spell Completion to apply Persist. It requires one schema per MMI you want on each wand/stave, but might be worth it still.