PDA

View Full Version : Bard Question

Anodos
2012-03-30, 01:03 PM
The bards suggestion ability reads

A bard of 6th lvl or higher with 9 or more ranks in a Preform skill can make a suggestion (as the spell) to a creature it has already fascinated (see above). Using this ability does not break the bards concentration on the fascinate effect, nor does it allow a second saving throw against the fascinate effect. Making a suggestion doesn't count against a bards daily limit on bardic music performances.

The 2nd lvl bard spell Mesmerizing Glare reads

Directing your gaze toward the target creatures, you cause them to stop and stare blankly at you. Creatures that fail their saving throws become fascinated.

My question is if I cast mesmerizing glare on a group of creates and fascinate them can I then use my bardic music ability of suggestion on them? If so since using suggestion does not count for your daily uses of bardic music could I then make a suggestion to one person a round until the spell wears off?

Anarion
2012-03-30, 01:11 PM
I don't have Draconomicon, unfortunately. The version I'm seeing online reads
"Creatures that fail their saving throws gaze at your eyes, heedless of all else" rather than referencing the term "fascinated." I think the critical question is whether the spell creates the same "fascinated" condition that bard song creates. If it does, you can suggestion them, if it doesn't, you're out of luck.

So, it depends how the spell reads because if it produces an effect that happens to do something similar to what the fascinate effect does, that doesn't necessarily make it the same effect.

Anodos
2012-03-30, 02:10 PM
I got the spell from the spell compendium and it reads that if they fail their save then they become fascinated.

Coidzor
2012-03-30, 06:01 PM
It's implied but not outright stated that the bardic music suggestion ability works on things that have been fascinated with bardic music. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm#suggestion)

So I'd say that you might run into some issues with a DM on the matter but that yeah, if you have 'em fascinated then you have a good chance of being able to use your bardic music suggestion on them, though you have to be able to do mass suggestion to do it to them all that once.