View Full Version : OOTS #847 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2012-03-30, 04:18 PM
New comic is up.

Doc Kraken
2012-03-30, 04:21 PM
Oh dear.

Errr...back to the Order's old standby of panicked flight?

jmucchiello
2012-03-30, 04:22 PM
When did Tarquin decide to team up with Nale?

If this is the Linear Guild, they certainly had a powerup compared to last time.

MoonCat
2012-03-30, 04:22 PM
Goddammit, those guys.

How are they flying in Windy Canyon without difficulty?

Timberboar
2012-03-30, 04:23 PM
I predicted they'd wait a little longer before launching their ambush.

Should get interesting very quickly.

JustIgnoreMe
2012-03-30, 04:23 PM
I just happened to be on Twitter when the post went up about the new comic. I was just about to hit the sack. Instead I have new OotS. How awesome is that?

Loki_42
2012-03-30, 04:24 PM
Huh, I don't no why, but I didn't expect any of the other sides to show up so soon. I guess they better have, or else the book would have just gotten ridiculously long, but still.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-30, 04:25 PM
Hey! I was actually on when the new comic came up! I should go buy a lottery ticket, it's my lucky day!

Uh-oh, the drow is present, but no arcane support for OOTS; not good!

Can anyone else sense that Malack is going to turn-coat?

RaggedAngel
2012-03-30, 04:26 PM
Empowered Vitrolic Sphere? Nice. Z is certainly an extreme threat, and it seems that he's at least the Order's level even without taking his LA into account. I don't think they can win this fight without V.

otakuryoga
2012-03-30, 04:26 PM
and the double cross that no one expected begins...

Incom
2012-03-30, 04:28 PM
:tarquin:: "Hit them again? That could kill the dwarf. We couldn't have that, could we?" *shove*

Forealms
That is not a good thing. And it looks like Malack is trying to give Durkon an out.

Yana
They still have Yukyuk to counter Zz'dtri, do they not?

Aquillion
When did Tarquin decide to team up with Nale? Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0822.html).

Blah, blah, ten chars.

Mutant Sheep
When did Tarquin decide to team up with Nale?

If this is the Linear Guild, they certainly had a powerup compared to last time.

Do you even follow the comic? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0822.html):smallwink:

That spell seems awesome, but also icky and gloopy-green.:smallyuk:

I didn't know clerics could cast overland flight though... but it's probably a spell I should know but don't. :smalltongue:

kpenguin
2012-03-30, 04:29 PM
Uh, I think there's something missing in the second panel there, Rich

(Good comic, etc.)

Kalrany
2012-03-30, 04:30 PM
...How are they flying in Windy Canyon without difficulty?

My question as well! Maybe they are above the main effect, since V could not take off, maybe they started in the air and then entered the Canyon?

Also agree with Loki_42... this is a bit sooner than I expected, though why I have no idea since it seems like they were not too far behind the Order...

Let the games begin!

Flash1191
2012-03-30, 04:30 PM
Goddammit, those guys.

I assume they're flying above the wind.

hamishspence
2012-03-30, 04:31 PM
I'm looking forward to the oncoming fight- seems like it will be interesting.

Yagerr
interesting!

t209
My question as well! Maybe they are above the main effect, since V could not take off, maybe they started in the air and then entered the Canyon?

Also agree with Loki_42... this is a bit sooner than I expected, though why I have no idea since it seems like they were not too far behind the Order...

Let the games begin!

Maybe anti air defense went down with the death of Draketooths.
I think they're pinned in the temple if they aren't dissolved by acid.

Forealms

(Good comic, etc.)

Eh, floors are so passé.

zimmerwald1915
2012-03-30, 04:34 PM
From this comic, we learn that the mastaba on top of the ziggurat is not much more than twenty feet across.

Burner28
2012-03-30, 04:35 PM
Oooooohhhh!

What do you expect to happen next?

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 04:36 PM
Goddammit, those guys.

i guess malack ahd control winds prepared

Wou
2012-03-30, 04:36 PM
Another fight with V out? I don't want to complain much, but it's getting a bit old.

zimmerwald1915
2012-03-30, 04:38 PM
Another fight with V out? I don't want to complain much, but it's getting a bit old.
Eh, it's a motif.

MoonCat
Hmm, that makes sense.

Giant, just to let you know, the link to OoTS latest while on comic 846 still considers 846 the new one. It normally does this, but not for this long, IIRC.

Forikroder

makes me wonder if Girard is about to get up

OoTS is currently trapped in the tower
there are enemies directly attacking the Ziggurat
Durkon conveniently has no detect magic
there lacking an arcane caster to fight Z

could be one of the best set up twists ever

Emulgator
Asd you can clearly see, Nale is indeed awesome.

Now he just needs to sell his father to Xykon to go into A League.

Gift Jeraff
2012-03-30, 04:39 PM
I'm not a big Tarquin fan, but I have to admit that pterosaur mount is awesome. And is he supposed to be missing his cape? (Guess he learned from Syndrome's mistake. :smalltongue:)

Also, I'm really liking Zz'dtri more and more, for some reason.

Pokonic
2012-03-30, 04:39 PM
Huh. Looks like they might be in trouble.

JSSheridan
2012-03-30, 04:40 PM
Thanks Giant!

Dust
2012-03-30, 04:41 PM
Tarquin's busted out the ol' armor, I see.

t209
2012-03-30, 04:42 PM
I think Draketooth will still not help the Order if they were zapped by familicide.
P.S- Today is the 20th strip anniversary (made by me) of Thanh's death and Declaring loss of Azure City.

silversaraph
2012-03-30, 04:43 PM
Good thing it wasn't a one-in-a-million chance.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-30, 04:44 PM
P.S- Today is the 20th strip anniversary (made by me) of Thanh's death and Declaring loss of Azure City.

Um, is that a good thing?
You know, the whole Thanh dying; obviously the 20th strip thing is great. :smallbiggrin:

werik
2012-03-30, 04:45 PM
Wow. I wasn't expecting to see the new Linear Guild attack this soon. Once again the Order gets caught at a disadvantage by the evil opposites.

Stabbey
2012-03-30, 04:45 PM
This is exciting. I think a tactical withdrawl into the deeper, as-yet-unexplored areas of the temple is in order.

t209
2012-03-30, 04:46 PM
Um, is that a good thing?

A Good thing for Pro gobbotopia and a bad thing for Azurite supporters (including me).
Ironically, I aided the Stormcloaks resistance to reclaim their homeland in Skyrim during that comic.

Morty
2012-03-30, 04:49 PM
I hope Nale dies in this fight and the Linear Guild dies with him. His entertainment value is getting thin, in my view.

RndmNumGen
2012-03-30, 04:53 PM
Welp, Roy found an elf alright...

Smolder
2012-03-30, 04:54 PM
Tarquin riding a pterodactyl!? Can this guy get any more awesome?

eilandesq
2012-03-30, 04:56 PM
Falling into that trap may have saved V's life, at least in the short run. I wonder if Z prepped for archers this time--Haley (and Belkar) are the only ones likely to escape the barrage relatively unscathed, thanks to Evasion and/or improved evasion.

RNGgod
2012-03-30, 04:59 PM
I agree that this will lead the group to retreat into the depths of the temple, allowing for another "dungeon-esque" area.

I'm also wondering if Team Evil will show up soon. I feel Tarquin and Nale (& Co) have the upper hand by a considerable margin, and Xykon's appearance is exactly what we need to shake things up.

Talya
2012-03-30, 05:03 PM
Zz'tdri is walking on very thin ice. He survived one battle with copyright lawyers, but he didn't learn his lesson. Now he goes and casts Vitriolic Sphere, which isn't open content. He's playing with fire... errr... acid.

rgrekejin
2012-03-30, 05:09 PM
Well... that was sooner than expected. After Tarquin's speech about letting the heroes sweat and die for the prize, just so the villains can swoop in at the last second and grab it, I'd have thought he'd give them more lead time. Oh well. Shows what I know.

And yeah... I think the fight here, at Girard's Gate, is where the Linear Guild is going to bite it for good. They've pretty much reached the pinnacle of their escalation potential, and since Redcloak and Xykon can't die until the climatic battle at the last gate (or wherever it is) the defeat of the Linear Guild here seems dramatically appropriate.

SpaceBadger
2012-03-30, 05:09 PM
Tarquin: Now look at me. I'm on a PTERODACTYL!!!

Evil for sure, but the man has style.

The Pilgrim
2012-03-30, 05:14 PM
Here comes the Linear Guild, Round... five? and hopefuly the last.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-03-30, 05:17 PM
...At least it's not Xykon and Redcloak.

Gift Jeraff
2012-03-30, 05:18 PM
Here comes the Linear Guild, Round... five?Belkar considered the last one Round Three (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0792.html), so this is either a continuation of Round Three (like how Round Two was divided between Cliffport and Azure City) or Round Four.

Smolder
2012-03-30, 05:19 PM
I think the fight here, at Girard's Gate, is where the Linear Guild is going to bite it for good.

Nope, I guarantee it won't be, for a couple of reasons.
1) Both Tarquin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html) and Nale have a long history of fleeing when defeated.
2) Elan has a plan to deal with them, and since he hasn't told anyone the plan, it's going to work.

*citation added.

Puschkin
2012-03-30, 05:21 PM
Hm. I hoped for some good old dungeoneering! We didn't have that for 700 pages :smallfrown:

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 05:23 PM
1) Both Tarquin and Nale have a long history of fleeing when defeated.
2) Elan has a plan to deal with them, and since he hasn't told anyone the plan, it's going to work.

he has a plan to deal with Tarquin, nale can go use a noose as a swing for all he cares

also i wouldnt count that as Tarquin having a long history of being defeated, since he got beat once after taking over half the continent then never lost again (except staged to deal with an annoying monarch)

Morgan Wick
2012-03-30, 05:24 PM
Huh, I don't no why, but I didn't expect any of the other sides to show up so soon. I guess they better have, or else the book would have just gotten ridiculously long, but still.

Probably because you expected to see something else from V first?

Smolder
2012-03-30, 05:25 PM
he has a plan to deal with Tarquin, nale can go use a noose as a swing for all he cares

If that were the outcome, I would be overjoyed. But I suspect that his plan involves bringing the 3 of them closer together as a family. Something dumb like that.

stsasser
2012-03-30, 05:27 PM
V, break's over. Your team needs you, so it's time to suck it up and get in touch with your inner evil.

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 05:27 PM
If that were the outcome, I would be overjoyed. But I suspect that his plan involves bringing the 3 of them closer together as a family. Something dumb like that.

i doubt it, he hasnt really shown any empathy at all for Nale since they started so i find it unlikely he would have some now

deuxhero
2012-03-30, 05:28 PM
From the title, I expected the return of the famed Symbol of Insanity bouncy ball

v_v

Timeless Error
2012-03-30, 05:30 PM
This should be exciting! One epic fight scene, coming up.

rbetieh
Tarquin sure does know how to make an entrance...

RndmNumGen
Welp, Roy found an elf alright...

MyNameIsSecret
Oh man. :smalleek:

(Also, love Tarquin's pterodactyl mount. :smallbiggrin:)

Agatsuma
2012-03-30, 05:32 PM
From the title, I expected the return of the famed Symbol of Insanity bouncy ball

v_v

Have you no sense of the dramatic? Something like that is only awesome and cool the first time. You go pulling out balls at every opportunity and it just starts getting old. (at least that's what my lawyer tells me)

Anarion
2012-03-30, 05:32 PM
That was a fun strip. I'm guessing that someone simply had controls winds prepped or even a magic item of some sort to calm the winds, so they took to the air.

I wonder if Roy's shouted warning will turn out to have helped some of them dodge as well. Perhaps Haley was ready in time and took no damage due to improved evasion?

And, maybe we'll get to see just how many mundane defenses Girard and Co. built into that temple.

(Good comic, etc.)

I'll be honest. I missed that completely until you caused me to go back and look. :smallredface:

Eh, it's a motif.

Or he's setting V up as the cavalry for later and she'll end up saving everyone.

Zz'tdri is walking on very thin ice. He survived one battle with copyright lawyers, but he didn't learn his lesson. Now he goes and casts Vitriolic Sphere, which isn't open content. He's playing with fire... errr... acid.

Can't copyright names and the strip doesn't tell you any of the rules or textual description of the spell.

Smolder
2012-03-30, 05:34 PM
also i wouldnt count that as Tarquin having a long history of being defeated, since he got beat once after taking over half the continent then never lost again (except staged to deal with an annoying monarch)

You don't know that for a fact. That's the only story he specifically recounted, but he has been at his game on that continent for thirty years and probably has a few more defeats he'd rather not talk about. He openly acknowledges that his role is to be the dictator who is overthrown by the heros, so he stages his own overthrow and stays a step ahead of his enemies. What is that, except running from your problems? He's brilliant and tough, but given the choice, he'll live to fight another day.

Enero Irontoad
2012-03-30, 05:36 PM
I didn't expect them to show up so soon either. I wonder how much longer until Team Evil arrives, and if we'll see their visit to the Astral Plane.

What spell was that big acid splash? Another Empowered Vitriolic Sphere? And how deadly is it?

Meph
2012-03-30, 05:37 PM
I'm really hoping for some good old dungeoneering too, for the great last stand. With three runners at least: oots (with the kobold as question mark), lg (with Malack in that role) and the Xykon and Redcloak party (with the monster in the darkness there). Plus, the Draketooths and the fiend club as wildcards.

Hardcore
SPLASH!

(Love it)

Yay! A flying Lizard. Nice local fauna in the Kingdom:smallbiggrin:

Talya
Can't copyright names and the strip doesn't tell you any of the rules or textual description of the spell.

I'm not saying Rich can't use Vitriolic Sphere in his comic. I'm saying he normally sticks to open content -- and when he hasn't, it's been to make a copyright joke-- so the fact that Zz'tdri is using a spell you need to dive into the 3.5 spell compendium or complete arcane to find might foreshadow future copyright lawyers taking Zz'trdi away again!

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 05:40 PM
You don't know that for a fact. That's the only story he specifically recounted, but he has been at his game on that continent for thirty years and probably has a few more defeats he'd rather not talk about. He openly acknowledges that his role is to be the dictator who is overthrown by the heros, so he stages his own overthrow and stays a step ahead of his enemies. What is that, except running from your problems? He's brilliant and tough, but given the choice, he'll live to fight another day.

everyone knows the evil king always succeds in conquering the country in one go

I'm not saying Rich can't use Vitriolic Sphere in his comic. I'm saying he normally sticks to open content -- and when he hasn't, it's been to make a copyright joke-- so the fact that Zz'tdri is using a spell you need to dive into the 3.5 spell compendium or complete arcane to find might foreshadow future copyright lawyers taking Zz'trdi away again!
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0789.html
Parody is protected speech

Gift Jeraff
2012-03-30, 05:40 PM
nale can go use a noose as a swing for all he caresWhat?

"I thought it was tough to figure out how to feel about Nale, you know? [...] But he's still my brother! [...] But sometimes when I was little, I would walk in on my Mom crying about having lost a nail." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0836.html)

I would say you mixed up Elan and Nale, but even that doesn't make sense--Elan hanging himself wouldn't be satisfying enough for Nale...

rbetieh
2012-03-30, 05:41 PM

Well, his army might have suffered a defeat or two....We have no record of his personal Win/Loss Record. It's kind of like Germanicus, I don't think anyone ever beat him, but they sure did a number on his army once...

RMS Oceanic
2012-03-30, 05:42 PM
And so what I am interpreting as the end-of-book climactic battle begins, although the truly climactic part probably won't come up until either Xykon turns up or the Gate is uncovered.

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 05:42 PM
What?

"I thought it was tough to figure out how to feel about Nale, you know? [...] But he's still my brother! [...] But sometimes when I was little, I would walk in on my Mom crying about having lost a nail." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0836.html)

I would say you mixed up Elan and Nale, but even that doesn't make sense--Elan hanging himself wouldn't be satisfying enough for Nale...

wow thats wierd, i never actually relized he was talking about Nale at all in there, figured he was talking about Tarquin the whole time

i gotta start reading things mroe carefully

rbetieh
2012-03-30, 05:43 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0789.html
Parody is protected speech

This isn't Parody, just like the use of the Mind Flayer wasn't parody. Unless you consider the idea of a giant ball of acid making a splooshing sound the parody...

Lynn
2012-03-30, 05:45 PM
Tarquin is going to be disappointed when he realizes, that the order hasn't found the MacGuffin yet.

Smolder
2012-03-30, 05:47 PM
everyone knows the evil king always succeds in conquering the country in one go

Exactly my point. Tarquin is not the evil king. He's the evil (queen)'s right hand man. Tarquin hasn't been the evil king since that first overthrow. He prefers to take the SAFER position behind the throne, rather than be in constant fear of assassination by enemies (or scheming underlings, like Nale). That's smart. But it also shows that he's not about to stand and fight to the death.

I forget what we were arguing about. Oh yeah. Tarquin looks awesome on any kind of dinosaur.

RMS Oceanic
2012-03-30, 05:50 PM
Tarquin is going to be disappointed when he realizes, that the order hasn't found the MacGuffin yet.

I suspect he's confident enough that now they've lead him to its approximate location, once he eliminates them and secures the site he can use the resources of the three empires to locate it and perhaps make use of it.

The Pilgrim
2012-03-30, 05:51 PM
Belkar considered the last one Round Three (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0792.html), so this is either a continuation of Round Three (like how Round Two was divided between Cliffport and Azure City) or Round Four.

It's not my fault if Belkar doesn't knows how to count, and has an INT score that rivals those of a Table. This is the fifth engagement with the Linears (after Dungeon of Dorukan, Cliffport, Azure City and Empire of Blood).

What I wonder is why Tarquin attacked so early, since the OOTS hasn't cleared yet the dungeon under the Pyramid.

Zubzub
2012-03-30, 05:51 PM
Empowered vitriolic sphere does avg 45 damage I think, even if first spell was one too, Roy and Durkon can handle it, probably Belkar aswell if he didnt evade it, Haley likely took no damage. Its a good thing Elan and V arent in the room though, that might have killed them both.

Boogastreehouse
2012-03-30, 05:53 PM
This is exciting(!), and I, for one, am greatly enjoying Nale's return.

Nale is petty, vain, and incompetent, but that's what makes him fun. Now we see him teamed up with a competent leader and rival, so his ego is going to explode. Also, the love and loyalty that he and Sabine share (well, we know that Sabine is loyal to Nale, at least) will be subjected to many trials and tests, possibly soon. Being evil characters, I feel that "love conquers all" is less guaranteed than in typical stories, so it really feels like anything could happen.

The suspense is killing me; I hope it lasts.

...and has an INT score that rivals those of a Table.

I think you may owe the tables of the world an apology.

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 05:53 PM
Exactly my point. Tarquin is not the evil king. He's the evil (queen)'s right hand man. Tarquin hasn't been the evil king since that first overthrow. He prefers to take the SAFER position behind the throne, rather than be in constant fear of assassination by enemies (or scheming underlings, like Nale). That's smart. But it also shows that he's not about to stand and fight to the death.

I forget what we were arguing about. Oh yeah. Tarquin looks awesome on any kind of dinosaur.
i wouldnt say that hes not willing to stand and fight but hed rather avoid the fight if it doesnt inconvenience him at all

Shatteredtower
2012-03-30, 05:54 PM

It could be worse.

He could uncover the reason Girard's line is dead, and reveal that to the Order.

RMS Oceanic
2012-03-30, 05:55 PM
It could be worse.

He could uncover the reason Girard's line is dead, and reveal that to the Order.

How could he do that? :smallconfused:

Turgon9357
This is starting to feel like Sweeney Todd, where everything happens in tandem so as to produce the worst possible outcome. The wizard is out, the Probably More Competent Linear Guild showed up and has the upper hand, and the dominated Kobold could break free and have his vengeance against Belkar and the Scruffinator.

I'm predicting a gut-wrenching Shoot the Dog moment, a murderous halfling (well, more murderous than usual), comedic Kobold mutilation, and a heroic last stand for the Belkstar (possibly along the lines of Boromir's end).

And don't forget that the clock is ticking until Xykon and Redcloak. From what Xykon said (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html), it looks like the two will only stay on the Astral Plane as long as it takes for Xykon to use all his scrolls and for Redcloak to select and cast his series of spells. Then it's off to the rift's exact location, thanks to Serini's diary (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0695.html).

MReav
Alright, battle is going to be a three-way battle between the Order of the Stick, the Linear Guild, and Team Evil.

And Yuk Yuk, after being crapped on both metaphorically and literally by all three sides (Xykon will likely do something to him to ensure his displeasure), will be the one who destroys the Gate to spite all three.

jere7my
2012-03-30, 05:59 PM
From this comic, we learn that the mastaba on top of the ziggurat is not much more than twenty feet across.

mastaba (n): a mudbrick superstructure above tombs in ancient Egypt from which the pyramid developed

And thank you for teaching me a new word!

rbetieh
2012-03-30, 06:00 PM
One more question....If Malack is so concerned with Durkons well being, why didnt he Macebook Durkon a warning?

RMS Oceanic
2012-03-30, 06:01 PM
One more question....If Malack is so concerned with Durkons well being, why didnt he Macebook Durkon a warning?

There's no signal in Windy Canyon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0837.html). Maybe he couldn't check his updates. :smalltongue:

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 06:02 PM
This is starting to feel like Sweeney Todd, where everything happens in tandem so as to produce the worst possible outcome. The wizard is out, the Probably More Competent Linear Guild showed up and has the upper hand, and the dominated Kobold could break free and have his vengeance against Belkar and the Scruffinator.

I'm predicting a gut-wrenching Shoot the Dog moment, a murderous halfling (well, more murderous than usual), comedic Kobold mutilation, and a heroic last stand for the Belkstar (possibly along the lines of Boromir's end).

And don't forget that the clock is ticking until Xykon and Redcloak. From what Xykon said (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html), it looks like the two will only stay on the Astral Plane as long as it takes for Xykon to use all his scrolls and for Redcloak to select and cast his series of spells. Then it's off to the rift's exact location, thanks to Serini's diary (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0695.html).

the perfect time to reveal that Soon and Girard shared at least one thing in common

rgrekejin
2012-03-30, 06:03 PM
1) Both Tarquin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html) and Nale have a long history of fleeing when defeated.

*citation added.

Well, I suppose in theory they could just run away every time and simply remain a loose end when the comic is done, but I find that unlikely. They're going to die (or be permanently defeated) sometime, and now's as good a time as any (and probably better than most). The Linear Guild aren't the Ultimate Bad Guys. They're the Penultimate Bad Guys. And what do the Penultimate Bad Guys always do? Die in the second-to-last big fight. With only Kraagor's gate remaining, this could very well be the end of the line for the Guild.

...of course, there could also be battles remaining on Snarl-world, Xykon's fortress, or any number of other perfectly plausible battle fields. So maybe I'm being a little premature in my declaration. But this just feels like the right place for them to go out to me.

edit: I suppose that this might imply that whatever play the IFCC is going to make will also occur soon, while Sabine is still on the board. That seems less likely to me. Maybe I am wrong. Eh. Time will tell.

Orzel
2012-03-30, 06:05 PM
Outnumbered and not ready

Queue Linear Guild

zimmerwald1915
2012-03-30, 06:08 PM
Outnumbered and not ready

Queue Linear Guild
The word is "cue". A queue is a line in which you stand to wait for something.

Landis963
2012-03-30, 06:08 PM
the perfect time to reveal that Soon and Girard shared at least one thing in common

:smallconfused: What, exactly, would that be? I don't see why any of the things they had in common would help the Order at this point.

DaOldeWolf
2012-03-30, 06:09 PM
KilKil is a great evil counterpart to Belkar due to being great using its mind.

I am happy to see that Malack cares about Durkon. At first, I though he didnt mind killing him and he only deserved better than to erish to the Linear Guild (due to the other comic lefting that ambiguous.) Still, I wonder why he hasnt argued that they promised to leave Durkon to him.

I also wonder who would Team Evil fight against when they arrive.

Gift Jeraff
2012-03-30, 06:10 PM
P.S- Today is the 20th strip anniversary (made by me) of Thanh's death and Declaring loss of Azure City.It also marks the 50th strip anniversary of Blackwing calling himself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur, the 100th strip anniversary of Hinjo's latest appearance, the 200th strip anniversary of Elan's first cure spell, the 600th strip anniversary of Haley's aphasia, and the 700th strip anniversary of the kitty umbrella's first appearance. :smalltongue:

zimmerwald1915
2012-03-30, 06:12 PM
mastaba (n): a mudbrick superstructure above tombs in ancient Egypt from which the pyramid developed

Happy to help! :smallbiggrin:

Smolder
2012-03-30, 06:14 PM
Well, I suppose in theory they could just run away every time and simply remain a loose end when the comic is done, but I find that unlikely. They're going to die (or be permanently defeated) sometime, and now's as good a time as any (and probably better than most). The Linear Guild aren't the Ultimate Bad Guys. They're the Penultimate Bad Guys. And what do the Penultimate Bad Guys always do? Die in the second-to-last big fight. With only Kraagor's gate remaining, this could very well be the end of the line for the Guild.

No one wants to see Nale die more than me, but I'm positive that if he can still walk (or be carried by Sabine) when Xykon and RC show up, he'll give up on this gate in a heartbeat.

It remains to be see what Tarquin will do. I'm wondering if he's got a ring or something to protect him from energy drains... Doesn't matter. I'm sure he doesn't have a ring of protection from Implosion. Do you get a save for that? If it's fort, then Tarquin could very well go all O-chul on Xykon's ass.

Venturieffect
2012-03-30, 06:16 PM
It also marks the 50th strip anniversary of Blackwing calling himself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur, the 100th strip anniversary of Hinjo's latest appearance, the 200th strip anniversary of Elan's first cure spell, the 600th strip anniversary of Haley's aphasia, and the 700th strip anniversary of the kitty umbrella's first appearance. :smalltongue:

Clearly, this is a strip of monumental importance.

ti'esar
2012-03-30, 06:17 PM
I wasn't caught quite as off-guard as most people seem to be, thanks to Roy's suspicious wording in panel 2, but this still was a pleasant surprise. Well, sort-of-pleasant surprise - I've eagerly anticipating the "final battle" for this arc, but having it start with V once again out of commission does not bode well. And they haven't even found the Gate yet...

Also, is Tarquin riding a zombie pterosaur? The man has style (nice to see the helmet return, too).

:smallconfused: What, exactly, would that be? I don't see why any of the things they had in common would help the Order at this point.

I believe he's referring to the theory that Girard "went archlich" or is otherwise defending the Gate in posthumous form.

rbetieh
2012-03-30, 06:18 PM
No one wants to see Nale die more than me, but I'm positive that if he can still walk (or be carried by Sabine) when Xykon and RC show up, he'll give up on this gate in a heartbeat. It remains to be see what Tarquin will do. I'm wondering if he's got a ring or something to protect him from energy drains...

Doesn't matter. I'm sure he doesn't have a ring of protection from Implosion. Do you get a save for that

Since when do fighters care about energy drains? Its not like they lost access to 9th level spells. Yes you get a Fortitude save for implosion which raises the question of just who is the higher-level character here....

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 06:19 PM

taht both of them set it up so even after death they could defend there gate

ZLotMors
2012-03-30, 06:19 PM
No one wants to see Nale die more than me, but I'm positive that if he can still walk (or be carried by Sabine) when Xykon and RC show up, he'll give up on this gate in a heartbeat. It remains to be see what Tarquin will do. I'm wondering if he's got a ring or something to protect him from energy drains...

Doesn't matter. I'm sure he doesn't have a ring of protection from Implosion. Do you get a save for that? If it's fort, then Tarquin could very well go all O-chul on Xykon's ass.

Yes, Implosion allows a Fort save to negate, but the DC's probably 24 or 25. There's also a minor chance that he had a scroll of spell turning, and RC will fire implosion at exactly the turn before it fades, and Nale rolled 3 or 4 and will turn implosion.

zimmerwald1915
2012-03-30, 06:21 PM
I wasn't caught quite as off-guard as most people seem to be, thanks to Roy's suspicious wording in panel 2, but this still was a pleasant surprise. Well, sort-of-pleasant surprise - I've eagerly anticipating the "final battle" for this arc, but having it start with V once again out of commission does not bode well. And they haven't even found the Gate yet...
:roy: to :vaarsuvius: That, or I don't think there is any possibility you could positively influence this battle anyway.

EDIT: whose bright idea was it to make emoticons case-sensitive?

Also, is Tarquin riding a zombie pterosaur? The man has style (nice to see the helmet return, too).
Nah, that's its natural color.

ti'esar
2012-03-30, 06:25 PM
:roy: to :vaarsuvius: That, or I don't think there is any possibility you could positively influence this battle anyway.

EDIT: whose bright idea was it to make emoticons case-sensitive?

Nah, that's its natural color.

I'm not talking about the color so much as the way how you can see its skull - reminds me of Xykon's dragon from Azure City.

zimmerwald1915
2012-03-30, 06:26 PM
Yes, Implosion allows a Fort save to negate, but the DC's probably 24 or 25. There's also a minor chance that he had a scroll of spell turning, and RC will fire implosion at exactly the turn before it fades, and Nale rolled 3 or 4 and will turn implosion.
If Redcloak's wisdom's remained at 20-21 since his fight with the High Priest of the Twelve Gods, the Fort DC of his Implosion would indeed be 24. Tarquin's got at least a +7 to his Fort save, and his modifier's probably higher than that. Not enough to be comfortable actually rolling a save, but not "only succeed on a 20" material either.

rbetieh
2012-03-30, 06:27 PM
I'm not talking about the color so much as the way how you can see its skull - reminds me of Xykon's dragon from Azure City.

It does feel like a slightly gimped version of Xykons entrance, but then Fighters can't control their mounts with their minds...oh well.:smallbiggrin:

zimmerwald1915
2012-03-30, 06:28 PM
I think those dark patches are shadows where its eye sockets, nasal cavity, and the extended orbital that forms its horn recess.

Smolder
2012-03-30, 06:30 PM
*gasp* Just thought of something...

Roy was looking for V when he discovered the Linear Guild. He's likely to assume that V was somehow dispatched by the LG before he got there. As far as he knew, V had run outside, and had been gone a long time, so it's natural to reach the conclusion that V is already dead and that searching the traps and pits in the ziggurat for hir would be a waste of time.

Gift Jeraff
I think those dark patches are shadows where its eye sockets, nasal cavity, and the extended orbital that forms its horn recess.See also: the allosaur (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0778.html).

Although an army of undead dinosaurs/pterosaurs/ancient reptiles would be badass, I get this feeling that Tarquin & co. don't use undead.

Forikroder
I think those dark patches are shadows where its eye sockets, nasal cavity, and the extended orbital that forms its horn recess.

i agree, its definently not an undead pterodon, i mean think about it, dead flesh? hot desert day? not the proper way to make an entrance

*gasp* Just thought of something...

Roy was looking for V when he discovered the Linear Guild. He's likely to assume that V was somehow dispatched by the LG before he got there. As far as he knew, V had run outside, and had been gone a long time, so it's natural to reach the conclusion that V is already dead and that searching the traps and pits in the ziggurat for hir would be a waste of time.

as conceivable as that is, remember the linear guild literally jsut arrived when Roy saw them so unless he thinks that V decided to charge at them without letting anyone know its unlikely hed think V was dead

also i doubt hes gonna go

"oh know, V must be dead, lets not look for the body to ressurect lets jsut keep going

and dont bother searching for traps or pits or anything im sure were safe"

ericgrau
2012-03-30, 06:32 PM
It's a 10' radius spell, I dunno how that'd even hit more than 2 of the order.

Looking forward to the impending action though.

ti'esar
2012-03-30, 06:38 PM
See also: the allosaur (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0778.html).

Although an army of undead dinosaurs/pterosaurs/ancient reptiles would be badass, I get this feeling that Tarquin & co. don't use undead.

Now that you mention it, it does remind me of the allosaurus as well. And I agree that undead don't really seem like Tarquin's style, even letting aside Malack.

also i doubt hes gonna go

"oh know, V must be dead, lets not look for the body to ressurect lets jsut keep going

and dont bother searching for traps or pits or anything im sure were safe"

I don't think Roy's going to jump to the conclusion that V is dead either, but if he did do so, then I have to say that he probably wouldn't go looking for the body immediately. Generally, resurrections are done after battle, not during it.

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 06:40 PM
Now that you mention it, it does remind me of the allosaurus as well. And I agree that undead don't really seem like Tarquin's style, even letting aside Malack.

I don't think Roy's going to jump to the conclusion that V is dead either, but if he did do so, then I have to say that he probably wouldn't go looking for the body immediately. Generally, resurrections are done after battle, not during it.

well ya of course were talking about after the battle

Canisius
2012-03-30, 06:41 PM
Game on. Cue the cellos.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-30, 06:42 PM
Was anyone else listening to epic metal music when they saw the last panel?

LordofNaught
2012-03-30, 06:42 PM
People keep speaking of how there's an epic battle coming up. I certainly hope so, we've been lacking in those since the battle at the palace, if not further back. People also keep saying that Malack is going to double cross Tarquain. I wouldn't count on that happening, loyalties of the kind between old adventuring friends are very hard to break.

St Fan
2012-03-30, 06:48 PM
Damn, Haley certainly wanted a bath after searching Girard's tomb, but she surely didn't expect an acid shower.

Nale is just as hilariously psychophatic as ever. :smallbiggrin:

"Eight percent? I've seen hospital with worse mortality rates."

Troodos
2012-03-30, 06:54 PM
My first reaction to this: HOLY CRAP!!! Tarquin has a pteranodon!!! And its realistic too!!!

Talya
2012-03-30, 06:58 PM
Empowered vitriolic sphere does avg 45 damage I think, even if first spell was one too, Roy and Durkon can handle it, probably Belkar aswell if he didnt evade it, Haley likely took no damage. Its a good thing Elan and V arent in the room though, that might have killed them both.

I believe the basic spell is 6d6 in the first round, and 6d6 more for each of the next few rounds if you fail your save. It's in spell compendium.

Empowered would then be 9d6. That's 31.5 average damage. (This round.)

Also, when empowered, that's a level 7 spell. Zz'tdri just cast two of them. That puts him at at least level 13, probably higher. (since if he's 13, he has to have 24 INT to cast two of them, and then he just used up his two highest level spell slots with two less than versatile choices.) I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest he's 15th level...with one more 7th level spell slot and an 8th in reserve. But, he' s drow. If he's 15th level, that makes him an ECL17 character...which...well...wow.

zimmerwald1915
2012-03-30, 07:00 PM
I believe the basic spell is 6d6 in the first round, and 6d6 more for each of the next few rounds if you fail your save. It's in spell compendium.

Also, when empowered, that's a level 7 spell. Zz'tdri just cast two of them. That puts him at at least level 13, probably higher. (since if he's 13, he has to have 24 INT to cast two of them, and then he just used up his two highest level spell slots with two less than versatile choices.) I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest he's 15th level...with one more 7th level spell slot and an 8th in reserve. But, he' s drow. If he's 15th level, that makes him an ECL17 character...which...well...wow.
As Oceanic pointed out in the C&LG thread, the first Vitriolic Sphere need not have been empowered.

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 07:00 PM

he probably has the same amount of total levels as V with 2 being monster levels so i dont think hed be more then a lvl 14 wizard

MeanMrsMustard
2012-03-30, 07:08 PM
Holy. Freaking. Crap.
That was awesome. First, new comic came up just when I happened to check. Second, the strip itself. I hadn't been expecting the LG to show up so soon, but they're certainly already showing how TOTALLY AWESOME they are. *squee*
Anyone else think we need smilies for them? I mean, we have an emoticon for the Demon Roaches.

TheBST
2012-03-30, 07:10 PM
Well, someone's jumped the gun on the whole 'let the heroes find the gate for us' plan... Wonder what the IFCC will make of yet another of Nale's blunders.

homeslice
2012-03-30, 07:30 PM
I have to admit, with the new additions, it is kind of interesting to see the linear guild show up.

ti'esar
2012-03-30, 07:35 PM
well ya of course were talking about after the battle

Really? Because the original concern seemed to be that Roy, if he assumed V had already been taken out, would not waste any time searching for her right now (which is when it would make a difference).

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 07:43 PM
Really? Because the original concern seemed to be that Roy, if he assumed V had already been taken out, would not waste any time searching for her right now (which is when it would make a difference).

im pretty sure the concern was that roy wouldnt be checking the traps they passed to find him

Karoug
2012-03-30, 07:45 PM
This is a very powerful change of rythm. I was afraid the OOTS was going to be stuck on a pointless puzzle, but this changes everything. This is good storytelling. Having endured a whole campaign stuck in front of a custom-made-unsolvable puzzle with no clues, I kind of envy them: we didn't have super-strong opponents appear to move the plot and make things interesting.

-Also: the pteranodon is frickin kewl!

Holy_Knight
2012-03-30, 07:46 PM
The word is "cue". A queue is a line in which you stand to wait for something.
Fitting pun, then? :elan:

Smolder
2012-03-30, 07:52 PM
im pretty sure the concern was that roy wouldnt be checking the traps they passed to find him

Correct. Thank you. They could resurrect V, but they have to fight off the LG first, before they can search for hir. And until then, they may not look hard enough for V, even if they run right past the trap.

On a different topic, if they had enough warning, they could have jumped into the base of the statue with the skeleton, to avoid the acid damage. It doesn't look like they had enough time to do that to me, but it's a remote possibility.

suszterpatt
2012-03-30, 07:57 PM
8% is certainly not a one-in-a-million chance. The Order's fine. Haley probably rolled so high on reflex she actually got healed.

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 08:00 PM
8% is certainly not a one-in-a-million chance. The Order's fine. Haley probably rolled so high on reflex she actually got healed.

i think Belkar has evasion too so hes probably completely fine, so only durkon and roy could have gotten hit and they can probably shrug it off anyway

Particle_Man
2012-03-30, 08:00 PM
Well at least V is safe from the Vitriolic Sphere in that trap V fell into. :smallsmile:

Oddly, I think Roy would have been safer outside the building.

t209
2012-03-30, 08:02 PM
Does "Dropping the Ball" have to do with Rich's old hometown of New York (New York's Newyear Ball Drop)?
So the gate or the gate key does not lay in his Ass bone?
It will be either his assbone used as a key to the Rift Room.
or The gate is located beneath where his buns lay.
Edit: Order will not die but they will be laid with suppressing fire from Z while the Linear Guild moves in for a kill.
I hope Nale's death will be more tragic if we were shown that Sibine is pregnant with his child.

The MunchKING
2012-03-30, 08:04 PM

1d4 per level (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-arcane--55/vitriolic-sphere--481/) according to that site. Empowered would be 1.5d4 per level.

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 08:09 PM
Does "Dropping the Ball" have to do with Rich's old hometown of New York (New York's Newyear Ball Drop)?
Edit: Order will not die but they will be laid with suppressing fire from Z while the Linear Guild moves in for a kill.
I hope Nale's death will be more tragic if we were shown that Sibine is pregnant with his child.

im pretty sure when the hole reason for your existance is to have sex, its pretty hard to get pregnant

JCarter426
2012-03-30, 08:14 PM
im pretty sure when the hole reason for your existance is to have sex, its pretty hard to get pregnant
Actually - at least in mythology - the point of a succubus is to get pregnant.

t209
2012-03-30, 08:25 PM

Let's narrow my question to this.

RNGgod
2012-03-30, 08:28 PM

I would guess it's about "dropping the ball"- failing in a task in such a way that you were not meant to do.

"to make a blunder; to fail in some way."

"to make a mistake, especially by doing something in a stupid or careless way."

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 08:30 PM

its an inconsequentail pun probably based on a couple things, maybe aprtly there lack of any scouting, perhpas more literally since Z dropped a ball of acid on them, perhaps referencing that Tarquin wasnt stopping Nale from attacking Durkon, perhaps that nale is having Z attack again

its just the comic title its jsut a bonus joke thats not really important

t209
2012-03-30, 08:32 PM
Thanks for Clarification. I though Rich was showing off his inner Brooklyn rage (well, he's from queens) with this comic title.

teratorn
2012-03-30, 08:47 PM
How could he do that? :smallconfused:

The imp is part of the linear guild, he'd guess what happened, although I wouldn't expect him to reveal everything. Probably he'd just inform Tarquin and the others that Girard and his whole family are goners and the place is undefended except for the order.

Edit: or the acid could erase all relevant evidence.

AvangionQ
2012-03-30, 08:56 PM
Always did love that spell ~ its so broken. A 9th level caster could do 18D6 acid damage over the course of three rounds.

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 08:57 PM
The imp is part of the linear guild, he'd guess what happened, although I wouldn't expect him to reveal everything. Probably he'd just inform Tarquin and the others that Girard and his whole family are goners and the place is undefended except for the order.

Edit: or the acid could erase all relevant evidence.

i dont think the imp is with the linear guild anymore im pretty sure he wasnt sent back after reporting to the IFCC what happened since as he left Z was defeated and dragged away so most likely they had better things for the imp to be doing

also i doubt the IFCC would want the imp to be flapping its gums about anything unnesecary, they seem smart enough to know that who knows what you know is as important as knowing it in the first place

Mantine
2012-03-30, 09:00 PM
And so it begins another encounter.
Let's just hope that the outcome of this battle will be decided by the various character's worth, rather than, say, arbitrarial or sudden out-of-control elements.

Mantine
2012-03-30, 09:01 PM
*ignore it

t209
2012-03-30, 09:25 PM
Does the Draketooths have Flak gun equivalents before they got familicided?

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 09:27 PM

the most techonologically advanced thing weve seen is a crossbow pretty sure the draketooths arent rocking flak guns

Emperor Flumph
2012-03-30, 09:33 PM
*ignore me*

Emperor Flumph
2012-03-30, 09:35 PM
I really like how Rich handles the Linear GUild's divine spellcasters. In the same way Durkon seems to have the least involvement with the rest of the Order, being the guy who keeps mostly to himself and is only really friends with Roy, his equivalents in the Linear Guild seem to have the weakest ties to the team.

Hilgya didn't like the other members and didn't care much about their mission. She was only there on orders from her god, very similar to how Durkon ended up in the human lands.

Leeky was never seen to interact with the other Linear Guild members outside one panel with Pompey, and had goals entirely separate from the rest of the Guild, namely the liberation of trees.

And now Malack who doesn't seem to care about the gates at all, actively loathes Nale, and is only here because of his loyalty to Tarquin. A nice mirror of the Roy-Durkon friendship.

LadyEowyn
2012-03-30, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty sure Malack's going to end up changing sides. We haven't seen him do anything evil (other than simply being a part of the Empire of Blood's rulers) and Tarquin's been treating him overly dismissively.

50Copper
2012-03-30, 10:06 PM

Has anyone ever told you that you ask a lot of really unfortunate questions?

t209
2012-03-30, 10:29 PM
the most techonologically advanced thing weve seen is a crossbow pretty sure the draketooths arent rocking flak guns

"Flak Guns" as in something to blast them from the skies.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0240.html
Actually we saw a pistol, which is useless in D&D (I wish 5e make them more effective since i like putting guns in fantasy).

silvadel
2012-03-30, 10:29 PM
And thus goes any evidence that the draketooths were familicided -- good job linear guild -- you are living up to your reputation.

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 10:36 PM
I'm pretty sure Malack's going to end up changing sides. We haven't seen him do anything evil (other than simply being a part of the Empire of Blood's rulers) and Tarquin's been treating him overly dismissively.

i dont get at all why people seem to think this

i think jsut becuase he got along with Durkon people equate him as being good and completely ignorant of the atrocities commited by Tarquin, Malack is as much a conspirator of whats happening as Tarquin is he has as much invested in the scheme as any of the other members

And thus goes any evidence that the draketooths were familicided -- good job linear guild -- you are living up to your reputation.

the family tree was on the level above which isnt shown very well in the comic but if you look above roy youll notice the bottom of a window which is completely acid free, plus i doubt one acid bath would completely scrub the walls clean

Dracarot
2012-03-30, 10:41 PM
Well at least V is safe from the Vitriolic Sphere in that trap V fell into. :smallsmile:

Oddly, I think Roy would have been safer outside the building.

*Starts to sweat a little* Um, uh, oh geeze, well V may actually be in jeopardy. While I don't know much about Vitriolic sphere, empowered or otherwise, The Giant has shown that the rules are only guidelines so I'm concerned about something that involves a certain real life tragedy that might come into play here.

On 9-11 at least in the North Tower of the World Trade Center after the first plane hit some of the jet fuel raced down the elevators reaching the bottom of the twin towers. (I have two sources for that info one a book the other a number of eyewitness acounts from firefighters that went in as shown in a film, sadly the title of both elude me). This means that if that acid lingers, the not so air tight trap door that holds V will start to pool with the acid, turning the elf into a acidic stew.

Smolder
2012-03-30, 10:53 PM
*Starts to sweat a little* Um, uh, oh geeze, well V may actually be in jeopardy.

You mean because the acid should in fact flow down the stairs into the basement and through cracks in the floor into the pit where the unconscious V is still trapped? I don't know if fluid dynamics apply to magic. Maybe the acid evaporates after a round?

On 9-11 at least in the North Tower of the World Trade Center after the first plane hit some of the jet fuel raced down the elevators reaching the bottom of the twin towers. (I have two sources for that info one a book the other a number of eyewitness acounts from firefighters that went in as shown in a film, sadly the title of both elude me). This means that if that acid lingers, the not so air tight trap door that holds V will start to pool with the acid, turning the elf into a acidic stew.

That wasn't jet fuel they found burning in the basement. It was thermite.

Gift Jeraff
2012-03-30, 11:01 PM
Hmmm, am I looking at the 5th panel wrong, or does it seem like there's someone else there who isn't in the last panel? The big left-most figure is Malack + Tarquin + Tarquin's mount, the little one to the right of that is Kilkil, to the right of that is Nale + Sabine, and the lower right-most one is Zz'dtri. That leaves the one to the upper right. I suppose it might be Malack, and he moves near Tarquin between panels.

I doubt it's Qarr. Too big, unless he's moving in closer for some reason. My other guess would be that they captured Ian after Kilkil got his file, and are going to hold him hostage, but I think there are better ways to do that than to have him floating on his own (such as Baleful Polymorph, which we know Z has).

Dracarot
2012-03-30, 11:04 PM
You mean because the acid should in fact flow down the stairs into the basement and through cracks in the floor into the pit where the unconscious V is still trapped? I don't know if fluid dynamics apply to magic. Maybe the acid evaporates after a round?

That wasn't jet fuel they found burning in the basement. It was thermite.

Ah my apologies, guess my memory was even fuzzier than I thought, my apologies. I could have sworn though, well if I can find the books again I'll try and actually cite myself. In any case my apologies for the confusion.

Edit: Managed to find one of the sources, the film which is just called 9/11 Directed by Jules and Gadon Naulet as well as James Hanlon (The first of these was actually with the firefighters in the lobby of the North Tower so if It's just my memory failing me will be evident there). I've also managed to narrow down the book I was citing to one of Two: Lawrence Wright, The Looming Tower or William Langewiesche, American Ground. I do apologize for not being more specific but I took 9/11 Fact and Fiction as a course at college 2 years ago so we actually saw and read this. WIth the fact I sold my books back to the bookstore here, I can't really give you page numbers, but I hope it can prove or disprove what I said.

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 11:12 PM
Hmmm, am I looking at the 5th panel wrong, or does it seem like there's someone else there who isn't in the last panel? The big left-most figure is Malack + Tarquin + Tarquin's mount, the little one to the right of that is Kilkil, to the right of that is Nale + Sabine, and the lower right-most one is Zz'dtri. That leaves the one to the upper right. I suppose it might be Malack, and he moves near Tarquin between panels.

I doubt it's Qarr. Too big, unless he's moving in closer for some reason. My other guess would be that they captured Ian after Kilkil got his file, and are going to hold him hostage, but I think there are better ways to do that than to have him floating on his own (such as Baleful Polymorph, which we know Z has).

it probably is Malack keeping an eye on Nale then flying over to Tarquin to complain about the spell

perhaps he was over there trying to get Z to stop the spell or something

i think the order is Tarquin on his mount, KilKil, Nale on his mount, Zdtri and Malack if you look closely the farthest black splot looks long and squiggly compared to the other dots

silvadel
2012-03-30, 11:34 PM
Actually that could be purposeful if the fiends gave instructions on what to do but not on why. It would definitely be in their interest to cover up what V did.

Forikroder
2012-03-30, 11:42 PM
Actually that could be purposeful if the fiends gave instructions on what to do but not on why. It would definitely be in their interest to cover up what V did.

but noone but V has any idea that the spell Familicide exists, Roy never even saw Haerta shackled to V, the only people in the world who know that V cast familicide (aside from the onlooking demons) is Vs family and the black dragon

there is absolutely no way for anyone to know he cast familicide unless someone Haerta gets shackled to someone else and lets them know or if the demons start flabbing there gums

FujinAkari
2012-03-31, 12:15 AM
there is absolutely no way for anyone to know he cast familicide unless someone Haerta gets shackled to someone else and lets them know or if the demons start flabbing there gums

Yeah, I mean, it isn't like this is a world with Oracles or Divination Spells that would let people learn the truth behind a mystery.

Forikroder
2012-03-31, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I mean, it isn't like this is a world with Oracles or Divination Spells that would let people learn the truth behind a mystery.

oh ya cause Tarquins gonna spend tons of resources trying to figure out who killed some random redheads he doesnt care about at all

and divinations and oracles arent that easy, in Dnd its very hard to get specific information with magic

Subzero008
2012-03-31, 01:27 AM
Tarquin and Malack are a higher level, Z doesn't have V to counter him, the LG had a preemptive strike, and lastly the OotS is outnumbered.

This would be a perfect time for V is come back when the OotS is fighting, cast detect magic, and discover a macguffin to save their asses.

Forikroder
2012-03-31, 01:34 AM
Tarquin and Malack are a higher level, Z doesn't have V to counter him, the LG had a preemptive strike, and lastly the OotS is outnumbered.

This would be a perfect time for V is come back when the OotS is fighting, cast detect magic, and discover a macguffin to save their asses.

the real wild cards are Belkar and the 2 kobolds, if the flying guy is as worthless as we all think then that means Belkar can fight Z, but if the other kobold gets found the spell on him might break so then hed be fighting belkar

t209
2012-03-31, 01:56 AM
This is getting worse.
1. Azurite Resistance are wiped out (except poor Niu).
2. Draketooths are dead (thanks to V's vendetta on Ancient Black Dragon).
3. Now attack by linear guild.
What's next?
- either Hinjo and Azurites exterminated or turned into Lord of the Flies, or O chul and Lien's death at the hands of Xykon and Redcloak (Shark fin soup, anyone?)

Wayac
2012-03-31, 02:04 AM
Second straight comic with Elan not appearing in a single panel. Is it now safe to say he's up to something? Or at least separated from the Order?

My guess is he's either going to find V or bail out the Order at the properly dramatic moment.

Or both.

ti'esar
2012-03-31, 02:07 AM
You're right - Elan is still missing. I noticed he was gone last comic, but it's a bit more puzzling now.

I just realized, incidentally, that V's absence is doubly bad for the Order, since it leaves Yukyuk unable to take orders. Guy still strikes me as a wild card - if freed from the Domination, it seems pretty much a toss-up as to who he'd go after.

LuPuWei
2012-03-31, 02:09 AM
I suppose it's a testament to Xykon (cause I really like Tarquin) that I said "Ohthankgod" when it turned out to be the Linear Guild attacking.

I think a fight between Tarquin and Xykon would depend heavily on how well-prepared Tarquin is, and right now he does not seem to have that advantage :smalleek:

Goddammit, those guys.

I did not notice that. Now that you mention it, they seem to have located the pyramid fairly quickly as well! (And without the help of a nose)

t209
2012-03-31, 02:15 AM
I suppose it's a testament to Xykon (cause I really like Tarquin) that I said "Ohthankgod" when it turned out to be the Linear Guild attacking.

I think a fight between Tarquin and Xykon would depend heavily on how well-prepared Tarquin is, and right now he does not seem to have that advantage :smalleek:

I did not notice that. Now that you mention it, they seem to have located the pyramid fairly quickly as well! (And without the help of a nose)
I hope Tarquin didn't end up like bloody mush in 826 of OOTS.
I kinda hate V (For Murdering Draketooths) as much as Draketooths (Who are still jerks in dead). If Draketooths weren't dead, this wouldn't have happened since Draketooth are good illusionists (and sorcerors if they manage to break in).

zimmerwald1915
2012-03-31, 02:35 AM
Tarquin and Malack are a higher level
We don't know that. Tarquin's probably of a higher level than Roy, but that's not a high bar. Roy since his resurrection probably has the lowest level in the party. Similarly, Malack hasn't done anything an eleventh-level Cleric couldn't do. What we know is that they are unshakably confident and that Tarquin talks a big game.

Euodiachloris
2012-03-31, 04:13 AM

*citation added.

This might explain Elan's disappearance better than anything. His drama-sense was all a-tingle, maybe. :smallsmile:

Which is interesting: his dad missed a trick... While V's lack of presence is very much a tactical advantage, it is, however, a dramatic misfire. The Order finding out about Familicide/ finding the Gate, then suddenly being drowned in acid? Several times more of a dramatic entry than a last-second successful spot-check by Roy. :smallamused:

Still: that is offset quite a bit by the pteranodonic entrance. :smallcool:

Hmmm... maybe taking that level in Dashing Swordsman has actually allowed Elan to surpass his father in the plot-spotting stakes? :smallbiggrin:

ti'esar
2012-03-31, 04:26 AM
We don't know that. Tarquin's probably of a higher level than Roy, but that's not a high bar. Roy since his resurrection probably has the lowest level in the party. Similarly, Malack hasn't done anything an eleventh-level Cleric couldn't do. What we know is that they are unshakably confident and that Tarquin talks a big game.

Nale's freakout upon being confronted by Malack does suggest some things about their level gap, though, and since the "normal" Linear Guild is most likely equivalent to the order, it seems safe to assume that Tarquin's team is a couple levels above that.

hamishspence
2012-03-31, 04:34 AM

I'd have put it as around 40 ft across, based on the assumption that Roy is about 6 ft tall and the distance from the side of the mastaba to the middle of the middle doorway being over 3 times Roy's height.

kickassfrog
2012-03-31, 04:57 AM
KilKil is a great evil counterpart to Belkar due to being great using its mind.

I am happy to see that Malack cares about Durkon. At first, I though he didnt mind killing him and he only deserved better than to erish to the Linear Guild (due to the other comic lefting that ambiguous.) Still, I wonder why he hasnt argued that they promised to leave Durkon to him.

I also wonder who would Team Evil fight against when they arrive.

And KilKil is an administrator, where Belkar is a psychotic killing machine. KilKil is going to die quite quickly.

ManuelSacha
2012-03-31, 05:01 AM
I am a Dungeon Master, and I approve these tactics. :smile:

Boogastreehouse
2012-03-31, 05:13 AM
or the acid could erase all relevant evidence
That is an interesting thought. The acid could wipe out a lot of information the Order might want to keep for the Linear Guild.

Actually we saw a pistol, which is useless in D&D (I wish 5e make them more effective since i like putting guns in fantasy).
Pathfinder (the continuation of 3.5D&D) incorporates pistols and other firearms in a pretty cool way, and their system is, in my opinion, superior to 4E.

kickassfrog
2012-03-31, 05:22 AM
I think the order is Tarquin on his mount, KilKil, Nale on his mount, Zdtri and Malack if you look closely the farthest black splot looks long and squiggly compared to the other dots

by Nale and his mount I assume you mean Nale and Sabine?

I figured the order was Tarquin on his mount, KilKil, Nale and Sabine, Z with Malack in the top right away from the others largely because the acid ball seems to be coming from the one not far away from the others.

Or maybe the top right shadow is someone else, but behind the LG, so they can't see them. Especially since Malack is flying very close to Tarquin, so they could be in the same shadow.

Finagle
2012-03-31, 05:29 AM
Out of the sun! A classic move.

(*sigh* I know someone's going to ask...you can't assume knowledge like this any more)

Attacking from out of the sun is an air combat maneuver. When you know where your target is, you maneuver such that your aircraft is between the sun and them. Then, you streak towards them, they can't see you until the last second because of the sun glare. Hopefully they can't react until you've already shot them down. Even in the modern age of jet aviation, out of the sun is still a good tactic. Radars can be jammed, the human eye still works.

King of Nowhere
2012-03-31, 05:38 AM
sorry roy.
the plot decided that V should not partecipate in this figh. So no matter how much trouble you go through to get him back, he will not be able to partecipate.
there goes the "I want to have a full team when we meet them".

Being outnumbered and already low on hp, I say the best chance for the order is to go down into the dungeon and try to hide. If they figth in the open now, they are dead.

Kish
2012-03-31, 05:39 AM

No, of course not. It has to do with Zz'dtri dropping a ball (a vitriolic sphere) on the ziggurat.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/joke?s=t

Because Nale would be such a good father.

Omergideon
2012-03-31, 06:31 AM
Well I know what I want to happen. I know exactly what I wish to happen. It involves a sudden appearance from an Epic Level Lich and Tarquin being so completely destroyed and beaten down he retires in shame and disgrace after realising he is not the main story but instead a punk with delusions of grandeur.

(I am not a massive Tarquin Fan, and want to see him destroyed. Good character thing for a villain I think but makes people praising him something that annoys me)

But as for the main comic itself, it was well written, well designed and overall well done. Good tension, art, humour and the like. Plus the promise of things to come. I would go into more detail.......but I think I will actually.

The Good:
1) I always like the art in the desert as the colour scheme is one I love the look of. More than that though the shot of the LG flying out of the sun is a very cool and powerful one. It adds to the mounting excitement the moment of attack builds. Finally the high quality of emotions and the image of the acid splash is greatly done.
2) Pacing. As a strip this one has excellent pacing. It starts with a simple joke that rounds off the previous strip. This the builds with small panels and multiple shots to the building excitement. The big panels are greatly placed. And finally, our final panel flows very well left to right in comment with a dynamic tone that keeps things going and finishes on the promise of great action to come. Excellent work.
3) The jokes also work very well indeed. Nale is funny as all hell at the end there and the LG dynamic has been established in one dialogue so clearly we can imagine many potential plot developments that could all make sense, but still suprise us. Kudos.

No bad things to say really. I do have a personal antipathy for the amount of praise Tarquin gets. He is a good villain but his so far unbacked up smugness, the endless priase on him and the way he waltzes in this far into the comic to be said to be centre stage.......grrr. I like the character as a character, hate him as a person (as one should with a type of villain) but think he is praised too make. I personally hope for an eventual Melee A Trois with Xykon crushing all beneath his heels at this point. But this is a good moment and the simple nature of this attack leads me to suspect that a twist is coming, and I cannot wait. **** for this strip in my mind.

Kaurne
2012-03-31, 07:19 AM
People keep speaking of how there's an epic battle coming up. I certainly hope so, we've been lacking in those since the battle at the palace, if not further back. People also keep saying that Malack is going to double cross Tarquain. I wouldn't count on that happening, loyalties of the kind between old adventuring friends are very hard to break.

See, the thing is, when the murderer of your children turns up, you should expect your old adventuring friends to help you kill them, slowly and painfully. You don't expect them to make a deal and then have your old friend tell you to move on and forget about your children being killed. Then you find that this deal involves the brutal murder of someone you consider a friend, even if not a particularly close one. When you try and help this friend, your leader ignores your advice.

That is the kind of stuff that can piss someone off REALLY, REALLY, BADLY.

Malack might defect not to support the order, but to oppose Tarquin - there is a subtle difference.

Also, as a cleric of a god of death, Malack is most likely LN. He may well only support Tarquins plan because he sees it as the best way to bring order to the Western Continent. He may not like Tarquin much personally, but see him as a necessary evil - whereas he does seem to like Durkon personally.

In other words, there is no reason why Malack should not defect. Whether he might is still up in the air, though.

Aun-shi
2012-03-31, 07:26 AM
Didn't I say probably liniar team will turn up.
I bet next comic will show team evil will show some where,
And oots will go hiding or fall into same trap as v in being concealled in a secret room oots will probably abide their time till either or both teams are gone. Since dourken can cast create food

rbetieh
2012-03-31, 07:52 AM
And KilKil is an administrator, where Belkar is a psychotic killing machine. KilKil is going to die quite quickly.

And KilKil can fly whereas Belkar can only jump. Belkar is going to fall very large distances, into soft fluffy sand.

ghoul-n
2012-03-31, 07:59 AM
Can't wait to see Tarquin's face full of Roy's fist.

El_Chupacabra
2012-03-31, 08:44 AM
Wow, Z's aim is pretty damn good for a shot from that distance -- in a Windy Canyon, to boot -- to nail that opening.

Oh, and it still kinda bugs me that the crypt had nothing of import. Why have a hidden switch for a crypt?

Smolder
2012-03-31, 08:53 AM
See, the thing is, when the murderer of your children turns up, you should expect your old adventuring friends to help you kill them, slowly and painfully. You don't expect them to make a deal and then have your old friend tell you to move on and forget about your children being killed. Then you find that this deal involves the brutal murder of someone you consider a friend, even if not a particularly close one. When you try and help this friend, your leader ignores your advice.

Yes, Malack will get his revenge eventually, but it will be when Tarquin has no further use for Nale and the LG splits back up into 2 groups of 3.

At that point, Malack will decide to inflict upon Nale a fate that is, according to this forum, far worse than death... forcing him to eat one handful of cat poop. Malack will be satisfied that his children were avenged.
:nale:

(I am not a massive Tarquin Fan, and want to see him destroyed. Good character thing for a villain I think but makes people praising him something that annoys me)

That's kinda sad that you have a grudge against Tarquin, and everyone who praises him, just because he's popular and cool. He might be a bit overrated, but he's fully capable of going O-chul on Xykon's ass. The Giant has made clear that while Tarquin was only recently introduced, he was planned from the beginning. (Well, the beginning of the planning, anyway) So he's not just going to die like a redshirt in the first battle.

Didn't I say probably liniar team will turn up.
I bet next comic will show team evil will show some where,
And oots will go hiding or fall into same trap as v in being concealled in a secret room oots will probably abide their time till either or both teams are gone. Since dourken can cast create food

While hiding might guarantee their survival, it does nothing to protect the gate.

rgrekejin
2012-03-31, 09:01 AM
You know, something occurs to me. Xykon and Redcloak, if Girard's desert illusion is to be believed, have the Gate's exact coordinates. We last saw them wandering off to cast defensive spells on Xykon's Astral Fortress. We know that Niu was going to cast sending to let Hinjo know that the phylactery had been found, and the Team Evil was on the march. The Order hasn't received a sending from Hinjo yet, so we assume that it hasn't been that long since it happened. But we don't know how much of a gap in time exists between comics #833 and #834. If Hinjo was delayed in sending to the Order, Xykon and Redcloak could be done with the warding by now. Anyway, my point is this: could there be a chance that Team Evil is already at the gate? Sure, there are some working traps, but there are also multiple sets of stairs up in to the Ziggurat. This seems unlikely, as I'm willing to bet that, closer to the gate, Girard would have installed some permanent magical defenses, but it might be an interesting twist.

Gusion
2012-03-31, 09:18 AM

+1 for this.

Also, I wonder if the Order gets a bonus to their reflex save due to Roy's warning. I would, if I were the DM, probably give them a +2.

I have to agree that all these battles without V is getting old though.

As for why they're able to fly in Windy Canyon, my guess is they're just still far enough away. They're easily over 500 ft away. Maybe the spell will go into effect as they get closer... ooh, falling damage sucks!

Thagorn
2012-03-31, 10:17 AM

Tarquin: The flying carpet I gave your brother has a tiny rune stitched on the underside. With the right spell, it should be child's play to track Elan. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0822.html)

Eiremauve
2012-03-31, 10:23 AM
Um, think we need :vaarsuvius: right now. :smalleek:

Forikroder
2012-03-31, 10:25 AM
Malack might defect not to support the order, but to oppose Tarquin - there is a subtle difference.

Also, as a cleric of a god of death, Malack is most likely LN. He may well only support Tarquins plan because he sees it as the best way to bring order to the Western Continent. He may not like Tarquin much personally, but see him as a necessary evil - whereas he does seem to like Durkon personally.
or we could not make baseless assumptions jsut because hes a buddy of Durkon and use what the story pretty mcuh saids

Malack wants the plan to succeed as much as Tarquin becuase it gets him as much power as Tarquin so since Nale is the fastest way to get it done hes burying the hatchet until hes not needed anymre

zimmerwald1915
2012-03-31, 10:30 AM
Um, think we need :vaarsuvius: right now. :smalleek:
Well, she's unconscious at the bottom of a shaft the location of which none of the Order knows. You're not getting her. Deal with it.

thepsyker
2012-03-31, 10:32 AM
And KilKil is an administrator, where Belkar is a psychotic killing machine. KilKil is going to die quite quickly.He is also apparently either a half dragon of some sort or a dragonwrought kobold. I think he is going to turn out to be surprisingly competent and perhaps even illustrate why his name sounds like Kill Kill.:smallwink:

Omergideon
2012-03-31, 10:36 AM
That's kinda sad that you have a grudge against Tarquin, and everyone who praises him, just because he's popular and cool. He might be a bit overrated, but he's fully capable of going O-chul on Xykon's ass. The Giant has made clear that while Tarquin was only recently introduced, he was planned from the beginning. (Well, the beginning of the planning, anyway) So he's not just going to die like a redshirt in the first battle.

I know Tarquin's appearance was likely planned long ago, very long ago. And that he has some cool qualities. And hating a person in a certain sense is pretty much a great thing for a villain. But going O'Chul on Xykon's ass? 2 things.

1) What does that even mean? (O'Chul vs Xykon = one dead O'Chul) and
2) What has he done to indicate, hint or suggest that he is capable of doing anything to Xykon except get his robes messy from the bleeding? I ask seriously as the amount of praise he gets by some fans seems to me to be disproportionate to what he has done in comic. e.g I have seen many people proclaim him as obviously Epic level. He may be, but nothing we have seen suggests this.

But it is not a grudge so to speak. I think he is a perfectly servicable character, though one over praised outside the comic. But his Ego is such a massive part of this character, and his desire to be a legend, it would be a brilliant piece of writing and a potential story arc available if he were to meet Xykon and realise how relatively insignificant he and his friends are.

Gift Jeraff
2012-03-31, 10:42 AM
Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if Tarquin seeming to favor Nale over Malack has less to do with blood ties, and more to do with the fact that Nale has had more screentime, is related to a main character, and the people Malack is avenging are nameless and unseen characters. And as Tsukiko would tell you, trying to bring your personal drama into a villainous plotline that predates your very existence is hardly a good idea.

Seems like Tarquin-style thinking.

Mr. Pants
2012-03-31, 10:43 AM
What's with Tarquin and dinosaurs? :smallconfused:

sims796
2012-03-31, 10:43 AM
I pray that we don't have another fight where the Order escapes by the skin of their teeth. It's starting to become stale. Last fight was pretty exciting, though.

Forikroder
2012-03-31, 10:54 AM
Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if Tarquin seeming to favor Nale over Malack has less to do with blood ties, and more to do with the fact that Nale has had more screentime, is related to a main character, and the people Malack is avenging are nameless and unseen characters. And as Tsukiko would tell you, trying to bring your personal drama into a villainous plotline that predates your very existence is hardly a good idea.

hes onyl siding with him because he needs to nale to point out the gate, as soon as he has hell probably push him into it to test the defenses especially once Tarquin realises Nale doesnt actually have any bonds with team evil

Aquillion
2012-03-31, 11:48 AM
Oh, and it still kinda bugs me that the crypt had nothing of import. Why have a hidden switch for a crypt?Speak With Dead, etc. There's various things you can do if you can find his body.

ti'esar
2012-03-31, 11:49 AM

Except Tarquin views himself as being at the center of the story. And from that perspective, Malack and Nale are probably equally important "characters".

LordRahl6
2012-03-31, 11:59 AM
If Malack doesn't want to kill Durkon, then why is he there?:smallamused: Isn't malack role going to be cleric vs cleric, if we go back to linear guild vs order of the stick format.:smallconfused:

Also I have to wonder what good the detect magic would be if true seeing can't pick up a gate hidden by high level illusion. I mean isn't true seeing better than detect magic?:smallbiggrin:

Forikroder
2012-03-31, 12:03 PM
If Malack doesn't want to kill Durkon, then why is he there?:smallamused: Isn't malack role going to be cleric vs cleric, if we go back to linear guild vs order of the stick format.:smallconfused:

Also I have to wonder what good the detect magic would be if true seeing can't pick up a gate hidden by high level illusion. I mean isn't true seeing better than detect magic?:smallbiggrin:

his role is to kill Durkon personally, he considers it rude for anyone else to get in the way of there Cleric VS Cleric battle

true seeing would pierce any illusions in the crypt but wouldnt tell of them of any magic in the crypt aside from any illusion magic, the crypt culd have tons of spells cast on it or there could be magical items hidden in it and true seeing wouldnt find those but detect magic would

Frog Dragon
2012-03-31, 12:04 PM
True Seeing... sees through illusions. It'll do absolutely jack to actually detect ongoing spell effects. Essentially, if it's a non-illusion (True Seeing helps against some transmutations too but anyway), True Seeing won't help, whereas Detect Magic will.

Euodiachloris
2012-03-31, 12:08 PM
Well, this isn't really the Linear Guild, as such, so the usual rules on opposites don't really apply.

Tarquin is just using this little hang-up of his son's for his own reasons, so roped Malak and Kilkil in for effect. They don't have to subscribe to the whole LG schtick, but just look close enough to mollify Nale to jolly him along.

If anybody but Nale actually believes he's in command, I'll eat any assorted hat you give me. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Upon reflection... for the first time ever, the "Guild" actually looks more like foils than they ever have before. With Nale's obsession with opposites modified somewhat, we actually have good foils.

LordRahl6
2012-03-31, 12:23 PM
Ah thanks a lot guys with the technical issues of those spells, and the Malack issue.:smallwink:

Forikroder
2012-03-31, 12:34 PM
Well, this isn't really the Linear Guild, as such, so the usual rules on opposites don't really apply.

Tarquin is just using this little hang-up of his son's for his own reasons, so roped Malak and Kilkil in for effect. They don't have to subscribe to the whole LG schtick, but just look close enough to mollify Nale to jolly him along.

If anybody but Nale actually believes he's in command, I'll eat any assorted hat you give me. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Upon reflection... for the first time ever, the "Guild" actually looks more like foils than they ever have before. With Nale's obsession with opposites modified somewhat, we actually have good foils.
Tarquin and Malack really wat to fight one on one, so the only people who wouldnt want a 1v1 duel would e Kilkil and possible Nale and Sabine but they most likely want a 1v1 duel with there opposite too

maybe Haley will finally fgure out which arrow hurts sabine

Euodiachloris
2012-03-31, 12:41 PM
Tarquin and Malack really wat to fight one on one, so the only people who wouldnt want a 1v1 duel would e Kilkil and possible Nale and Sabine but they most likely want a 1v1 duel with there opposite too

For Tarquin, yes: he's certainly stated that as a goal. But, if you think that's his only one, well... you deserve the shock. :smallwink:

With Malack, I'm not sure at all, despite the impression he's given his boss. We'll only know when we know.

Kilkil will likely fight Belkar 'cos he's been told to.

Gift Jeraff
2012-03-31, 12:46 PM
Except Tarquin views himself as being at the center of the story. And from that perspective, Malack and Nale are probably equally important "characters".I've seen diferent people say Tarquin acknowledges that he's not the center of this particular story, and others say he thinks he's the center of it all. I'm not quite sure which argument I'd subscribe to.

Kilkil will likely fight Belkar 'cos he's been told to.He might also want disproportionate revenge for being pushed on the dinosaur express. :smalltongue:

ZLotMors
2012-03-31, 12:48 PM

Forikroden answered this well, and I agree that is the reason is to have the ULTIMATE DUEL BETWEEN CLERICS! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0456.html)

multilis
2012-03-31, 12:55 PM
i dont get at all why people seem to think this

i think just because he got along with Durkon people equate him as being good and completely ignorant of the atrocities commited by Tarquin, Malack is as much a conspirator of whats happening as Tarquin is he has as much invested in the scheme as any of the other members
I think it is possible because of "Malack hates Nale...", though many other things are possible as well. On invested in scheme, we don't know what "side" Malack really belongs to.

Lots of options, eg OOTS could become prisoners for a while (mystery not solved so they are useful), X and redcloak could show up forcing OOTS to work with linear guild, various backstabs between evil sub factions, etc.

rgrekejin
2012-03-31, 12:59 PM
I've seen diferent people say Tarquin acknowledges that he's not the center of this particular story, and others say he thinks he's the center of it all. I'm not quite sure which argument I'd subscribe to.

Really? What are the arguments for Tarquin thinking he's at the center of the storyline? He's always seemed to me to acknowledge that he's an antagonist in someone else's storyline rather than the main character of his own. Anything else seems like a tough sell.

KoboldRevenge
2012-03-31, 01:06 PM
Why are they flying over Windy Canyon where nothing is supposed to be able to fly?:smallconfused:

Also Malack show us your darn Legs!!!

Forikroder
2012-03-31, 01:09 PM
Really? What are the arguments for Tarquin thinking he's at the center of the storyline? He's always seemed to me to acknowledge that he's an antagonist in someone else's storyline rather than the main character of his own. Anything else seems like a tough sell.

ya he pretty much straight said to Elan, this is your story and im the main villain

crit_process
2012-03-31, 01:10 PM
What's the range of vitriolic sphere?
Someone mentioned AoE. The spell seems to be filling an enclosed area of perhaps 40 feet? (The doorway is about twice as tall as Roy, something to take as a point of reference.)
Why doesn't Nale just share a ride with papa? Would seem more comfortable and even more safe.
Can Sabine even carry him long haul?

Except that a mastaba is built over an underground tomb. Mastabas rest upon the surface of the ground, with the burial chamber below. At least those I've read of and those I've seen in person. I've not heard of mastabas above ground, except the "stacked" mastabas making Imhotep's structure, but those are only mastaba-like, as they do not each contain a burial chamber.

It also marks the 50th strip anniversary of Blackwing calling himself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur, the 100th strip anniversary of Hinjo's latest appearance, the 200th strip anniversary of Elan's first cure spell, the 600th strip anniversary of Haley's aphasia, and the 700th strip anniversary of the kitty umbrella's first appearance. :smalltongue:
And the 846th strip anniversary of the first strip?

Euodiachloris
2012-03-31, 01:22 PM
Except that a mastaba is built over an underground tomb. Mastabas rest upon the surface of the ground, with the burial chamber below. At least those I've read of and those I've seen in person. I've not heard of mastabas above ground, except the "stacked" mastabas making Imhotep's structure, but those are only mastaba-like, as they do not each contain a burial chamber.

The Great Pyramid (and others) actually do have underground chambers, you know. Them's just very, very big, pointy mastabas. :smallwink:

crit_process
2012-03-31, 01:28 PM
The Great Pyramid is not a big mastaba, and its burial chamber is above ground, near the center toward the top end of the pyramid, really.

Euodiachloris
2012-03-31, 01:41 PM
The Great Pyramid is not a big mastaba, and its burial chamber is above ground, near the center toward the top end of the pyramid, really.

I very carefully didn't say "burial chamber" for a darned good reason... :smalltongue:

I also added that winky for a reason... :smallsmile: I could go into their developement into pyramids... but, won't. 'Cos I know very well you know. :smallbiggrin:

crit_process
2012-03-31, 01:50 PM
Oh sure thing, I guess the point there was that, as it seems to me, the structure atop the ziggurat in the comic is not a mastaba.

Now it was so many pages back I can't even remember clearly. But I believe that's how it all came up in the first place.

Come to think of it, a ziggurat is a temple site for making sacrifices -- no burrial of anything involved -- is that right?

Edit: The subject, being mixed into the comic's discussion, attracted my attention, as the Great Pyramid is visible through the windows of the meeting room in the building I currently work in.

Forikroder
2012-03-31, 01:50 PM
Why doesn't Nale just share a ride with papa? Would seem more comfortable and even more safe.
Can Sabine even carry him long haul?

doesnt look like the Pterodon has room for two

and when it comes between a small dinosaur and a demon, id say the demon has more strength

crit_process
2012-03-31, 01:58 PM
Hmm, don't have my good olde D&D books with me, but I don't know about that, a succabus' str. compared to one of those flying dinosaurs? As well, there's encumbrance value. Carrying something on your back while flying vs. holding onto the weight with your hands while flying. And as I said, there's what's more comfortable for the rider as well.

Gift Jeraff
2012-03-31, 01:59 PM
Really? What are the arguments for Tarquin thinking he's at the center of the storyline? He's always seemed to me to acknowledge that he's an antagonist in someone else's storyline rather than the main character of his own. Anything else seems like a tough sell.Probably stuff like the "go finish up your little plot (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html)" line. I can see that meaning the scenery-chewing villain bent on world conquest is but a little subplot in his own storyline, or he considers himself sequel-worthy.

But for me, it's the whole getting involved in the Gate conflict. He has to view himself on the same level of importance (or higher) as the scenery-chewing villain if he thinks he stands a chance. Unless he actually does plan on helping the OOTS, like some people have speculated.

LuPuWei
2012-03-31, 02:12 PM
You know, something occurs to me. Xykon and Redcloak, if Girard's desert illusion is to be believed, have the Gate's exact coordinates.

This raises a totally different question for me. Its probable that Team Evil doesn't know about the Draketeeth being wiped out. Up until this thought I'd assumed we'd have a similar entry for Team Evil, sailing in out of the sky or teleporting from out of nowhere. But they chose to go to Azure city before Girard's gate, so chances are teleporting to the gate isn't their strategy- they think Girard's defenses are formidable enough to make that a bad idea. Then what Is their strategy? And how long will caution keep them from figuring out the field has changed drastically?

Tarquin: The flying carpet I gave your brother has a tiny rune stitched on the underside. With the right spell, it should be child's play to track Elan. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0822.html)

Thanks :smallsmile: I forgot. Even so, is it surprising that Girard's pyramid is so easily visible from above, or do we assume those particular illusions have worn off by now?

Forikroder
2012-03-31, 02:16 PM
Probably stuff like the "go finish up your little plot (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html)" line. I can see that meaning the scenery-chewing villain bent on world conquest is but a little subplot in his own storyline, or he considers himself sequel-worthy.

But for me, it's the whole getting involved in the Gate conflict. He has to view himself on the same level of importance (or higher) as the scenery-chewing villain if he thinks he stands a chance. Unless he actually does plan on helping the OOTS, like some people have speculated.
when it comes to evil villains, there all generally placed on the same level the evil guy trying to take over the world and the evil guy trying to take over a country are generally treated as being on the same level, its not the level of the aspirations its more about how evil and suave the villain is, how well planned out his plan is and things like that

if anything Tarquin is more of a villain then Xykon, Xykons like the Joker he doesnt actually care that much about the end result he just likes being evil and working on some evil plan, realistically his day to day activities wont be that much different if he takes over the world then if he had just settled for gobtopia hes more interested in the idea of him ruling the world then he is in actually ruling it

IMO Tarquin has better potential to be the "final boss" then Xykon does

This raises a totally different question for me. Its probable that Team Evil doesn't know about the Draketeeth being wiped out. Up until this thought I'd assumed we'd have a similar entry for Team Evil, sailing in out of the sky or teleporting from out of nowhere. But they chose to go to Azure city before Girard's gate, so chances are teleporting to the gate isn't their strategy- they think Girard's defenses are formidable enough to make that a bad idea. Then what Is their strategy? And how long will caution keep them from figuring out the field has changed drastically?

they didnt teleport to Girards gate before becuase they had the horde and wanted to use it so redcloak came up with a target taht the horde could be used, since Girards and Kraagars gate are not inside a major city guarded by an army it is much less neccesary to bring an army to fight them

so in short as soon as Xykons content with how his "phylactery" is defended theyll teleport right there, probably with some quippy one liner that will only lead to dissapoitment when he learns everyones already dead and noone heard it

Thanks I forgot. Even so, is it surprising that Girard's pyramid is so easily visible from above, or do we assume those particular illusions have worn off by now?

the OoTS dispelled the illusion on it before they entered

rgrekejin
2012-03-31, 02:23 PM
Probably stuff like the "go finish up your little plot (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html)" line. I can see that meaning the scenery-chewing villain bent on world conquest is but a little subplot in his own storyline, or he considers himself sequel-worthy.

Ah. Yes, I can see the argument for Tarquin thinking that he's the main villain of the story. I took your original comment to mean that Tarquin thinks that he is the main character of the story, when by either metric he considers that to be Elan, not himself. My mistake.

Gift Jeraff
2012-03-31, 02:24 PM
Ah, I did word that rather poorly.

Aun-shi
2012-03-31, 02:56 PM
the devil only borrow vs soul for a few mins each by the time has gone past its easly gone past
vs might wake up with a new deal and own team liniar lol

QuakeIV
2012-03-31, 03:08 PM
The next comic will be four hundred strips since this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html) happened.

Kaulguard
2012-03-31, 03:08 PM
I'm having trouble with the architecture. They went up the steps, into the building, and there on the first floor, was the statue of Girard. They then went UP stairs into the dining hall. Now, the dining hall probably isn't on the top floor, one would think. V fled DOWN from the dining hall, we see the statue again, then DOWN another flight to the hall where the trap was. So, now the Order is searching the statue (a flight of stairs DOWN from where the dining hall is), and Roy steps out onto a balcony? On the top of the Ziggurat? No sign of the stairs up to the dining hall, or down to the trapped hallway? I don't get it. I mean, great strip, love the tension, but... I don't get where the heck they are.

jmucchiello
2012-03-31, 03:14 PM
Do you even follow the comic? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0822.html):smallwink:
That's a rude thing to say. That comic is 3 months old (12/20, I looked it up). Excuse me for forgetting it.

Forikroder
2012-03-31, 03:17 PM
I'm having trouble with the architecture. They went up the steps, into the building, and there on the first floor, was the statue of Girard. They then went UP stairs into the dining hall. Now, the dining hall probably isn't on the top floor, one would think. V fled DOWN from the dining hall, we see the statue again, then DOWN another flight to the hall where the trap was. So, now the Order is searching the statue (a flight of stairs DOWN from where the dining hall is), and Roy steps out onto a balcony? On the top of the Ziggurat? No sign of the stairs up to the dining hall, or down to the trapped hallway? I don't get it. I mean, great strip, love the tension, but... I don't get where the heck they are.

theres 3 floors we know about, the main floor with Girards toom is the room they originally entered, then they go up one level to the dining room and down one level to where V is

*thats down one level from the main floor

Kaulguard
2012-03-31, 03:25 PM
^ Yes, you have nicely re-stated what I just said. Um, thanks.

Forikroder
2012-03-31, 03:32 PM
^ Yes, you have nicely re-stated what I just said. Um, thanks.

i dont get how the gerography of the building is confusing since you said you understand it

brionl
2012-03-31, 03:40 PM

I'm pretty sure I could come up with some self-loading ballistae using medium level magic.

Snurk
2012-03-31, 03:56 PM
Empowered Vitrolic sphere?

Well atleast they have a few turns now debating over the dmg and the saving throws each round... that spell is so weird...

Great strip and I love the Pterodactylus.

Riverdance
2012-03-31, 05:04 PM
Why can I never predict what's going to happen anymore? Out of the last 15 strips or so I've been thoroughly surprised by plot twists and such about 8 times (I may be exaggerating).

Never heard of "vitriolic sphere" before. sounds like a fun one.

zimmerwald1915
2012-03-31, 06:38 PM
Why can I never predict what's going to happen anymore? Out of the last 15 strips or so I've been thoroughly surprised by plot twists and such about 8 times (I may be exaggerating).

Never heard of "vitriolic sphere" before. sounds like a fun one.
It's in the Spell Compendium.

EDIT: oh, and isn't it a bit early to put an April Fool's prank into action?

Bastian
I am sure Ponies have something to do with it

rbetieh
Silly question, wheres the correct thread to post congratulatory messages on the current April Fools Gag?

MeanMrsMustard
2012-03-31, 06:40 PM
And the 846th strip anniversary of the first strip?

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0ym22TIJw1r0w3hpo4_500.jpg :smallwink:
Also, nice April Fool's trick. Except I actually thought there was a pony thread.

Crisis21
2012-03-31, 07:32 PM
And in comes the Linear guild. Very nice way to have them show up.

teratorn
2012-03-31, 08:50 PM
Why are they flying over Windy Canyon where nothing is supposed to be able to fly?:smallconfused:

A wizard did it, someone just had to cast control winds.

Mr. Pants
2012-03-31, 09:16 PM
They finally show up, huh? :smallamused:

rgrekejin
2012-03-31, 09:46 PM

That's why I mention that we're not sure how much time has elapsed between when Xykon and Redcloak left to go ward the fortress and when we pick back up with the Order. Maybe Redcloak and Xykon beat them there by a fair margin. Perhaps Xykon and Redcloak did teleport in with some plan for dealing with Girard, found the gate lightly defended, and went on inside. Admittedly, I would assume in this case that they would have already dispelled the illusions that the Order found in place, but maybe they didn't need to (with Rings of True Seeing crafted by Xykon in preparation for dealing with an illusionist or some other method... I really don't have much call to ever deal with Illusion magic, so I'm unfamiliar with workarounds).

But now that I think about it, I like your idea better. You pose some very interesting questions, and all in all, I think it is more likely that Redcloak may have Team Evil hold their fire, so to speak, longer than he needs to as a result of the confusion. Because you know Xykon is liable to charge in guns blazing unless Redcloak convinces him otherwise. I'm interested to see how Team Evil is going to approach this.

Chess Tyrant
2012-03-31, 10:01 PM
Still expecting some spectacular turn from Tarquin... The guy is way too genre-savvy to seriously try a world-domination-via-superweapon plan like this.

Forikroder
2012-03-31, 10:05 PM
Still expecting some spectacular turn from Tarquin... The guy is way too genre-savvy to seriously try a world-domination-via-superweapon plan like this.

good thing thats not what hes gonna do, his plan is still to take over the continent hes just going to use the Gate to sublty enhance the power of an army so they can take over a country faster

perhaps hell give it to the rebels so instead of having years of of a struggling rebellion the rebellion can jsut break out guns blazing and win on a matter of weeks

hes still following his original plan hes jsut found a way to knock a few years off it

Chess Tyrant
2012-03-31, 10:39 PM
good thing thats not what hes gonna do, his plan is still to take over the continent hes just going to use the Gate to sublty enhance the power of an army so they can take over a country faster

Not sure how this would work... A world-destroying, soul-devouring omnicidal abomination can't exactly be used subtly.