PDA

View Full Version : Nerdiness and Geekiness: Is there a difference?

Pyromancer999
2012-03-30, 05:46 PM
Because I'm told there is. However, I'm not sure how being a nerd and a geek differ.

Kindablue
2012-03-30, 05:48 PM
Obligatory joke. (http://www.xkcd.com/747/)

Aedilred
2012-03-30, 06:18 PM
What he said. Yeah, I think there is a distinction. But the distinction I draw is not necessarily that drawn by someone else using or understanding those words, so it might as well not be there most of the time.

Kind of like the distinction between trolling and flaming. There used to be one, and there still is, really, but (enough) people use the words interchangeably, which isn't helpful.

Castaras
2012-03-30, 06:47 PM
Think one is that Geekiness is obsession with a hobby, whereas nerdiness is obsession with academia.

But then again, many people's hobbies are SCIENCE or maths and such.

So the line is blurred.

I call myself a geek, but nerd works also.

Savannah
2012-03-30, 07:09 PM
It's going to depend on who you ask. When I've heard them used, both tend to indicate obsessiveness with some interest, which is often a typically "geeky/nerdy" interest (D&D, Star Wars, etc), but "nerd" also indicates a lack of social skills. "Nerd" tends to be more of an insult, while "geek" is often a label people use for themselves.

Orzel
2012-03-30, 07:13 PM
I always went with...

Nerd- Obsessed or Knowledgeable with a socially popular subject to extreme levels

Geek- Obsessed or Knowledgeable with a socially unpopular subject or fringe aspect of a popular subject to very extreme levels

Nerd- Knows a lot about Acedemia
Geek- Knows a lot about a TV show

Football Fan- Knows a lot about football
Football Nerd- Plays Fantasy football seriously
Football Geek- Plays Fantasy football seriously and doesn't have to research their picks and trades

DeadManSleeping
2012-03-30, 10:13 PM
This topic comes up every couple months.

I throw in with the "who cares" crowd.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-03-30, 10:20 PM
I always went with...

Nerd- Obsessed or Knowledgeable with a socially popular subject to extreme levels

Geek- Obsessed or Knowledgeable with a socially unpopular subject or fringe aspect of a popular subject to very extreme levels

Football Geek- Plays Fantasy football seriously and doesn't have to research their picks and trades

In my personal usage, Nerd and Geek here are reversed.

AsteriskAmp
2012-03-30, 10:58 PM
Nerd is related to academic knowledge of certain fields.
Geek is related to obsession with a hobby and knowledge thereof of it.

absolmorph
2012-03-31, 02:09 AM
This topic comes up every couple months.

I throw in with the "who cares" crowd.
The difference in the usage of the words is negligible, so I would draw no distinction between them in general usage.

In my personal usage, Nerd and Geek here are reversed.
However, my personal usage goes with Gwyn's.

Coidzor
2012-03-31, 02:57 AM
Sometimes. Depends on the audience, speaker, and context.

That said, I believe Geek is shifting again due to being co-opted and getting mainstreamish'd.

kpenguin
2012-03-31, 03:56 AM
A geek's something you throw in the circus and a nerd's something you throw in the zoo, duh. :smallwink:

STsinderman
2012-03-31, 05:27 AM
Personally i have always gone by the guide(this was before geek came into fashion) that:

Nerds are ostracised for favouring academics and often lacking social social skills.

Geeks are ostracised for favouring an alternative culture based around games of various types and often have limited methods with which to be empathised with by those of the popular culture (this is not quite so much the case any more with the popular culture starting to accept the geek sub culture).

Ravens_cry
2012-03-31, 05:43 AM
Whatever you want to call yourself, go for it.
Except bronie.
I don't care if you like My Little Pony, it doesn't support my nautical transport, but it may yours, but bronie is just, ugh, it's just really an awful word in my opinion.
I generally associate nerd with more academic geekery, while geek is more of a pop-culture thing, but they are basically synonymous to me for causal usage.

Heliomance
2012-03-31, 08:25 AM
It's spelt brony, being a portmanteau of "bro" and "pony".

Ravens_cry
2012-03-31, 08:27 AM
It's spelt brony, being a portmanteau of "bro" and "pony".
However it's spelt (is the plural bronies or bronys?), it sets my teeth on edge.

Castaras
2012-03-31, 08:30 AM
Bronies.

I use it because it's better than Pegasisters. :smalltongue:

Faulty
2012-03-31, 08:30 AM
The difference in the usage of the words is negligible, so I would draw no distinction between them in general usage.

This. It's arbitrary and doesn't matter. Why people care so much is lost on me.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-31, 08:33 AM
This. It's arbitrary and doesn't matter. Why people care so much is lost on me.
Because there are two kinds of people in this world.
Those who think you can split people into two groups and those who don't.:smalltongue:

Heliomance
2012-03-31, 08:44 AM
Personally, I prefer to think there are two types of people - those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-31, 08:50 AM
Well, if you want to be really nerdy, I say there is 10 kinds of people this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.:smallwink:

grimbold
2012-03-31, 09:36 AM
I always went with...

Orzel is on point:smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2012-03-31, 09:54 AM
Bronies.

I use it because it's better than Pegasisters. :smalltongue:
But not all the ponies are pegasi . . .

Coidzor
2012-03-31, 12:18 PM
^: One small part of why it's not as good of a term, I imagine.

However it's spelt (is the plural bronies or bronys?), it sets my teeth on edge.

Got something against Bros, brah? :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2012-03-31, 12:44 PM
Got something against Bros, brah? :smalltongue:
The term? Yes.

DeadManSleeping
2012-03-31, 02:45 PM
Clearly you don't believe in brotherhood and fellowship, then :smalltongue:

Heliomance
2012-03-31, 06:52 PM
Clearly, we must love and tolerate Raven some more!

bloodtide
2012-04-01, 02:46 PM
Geek For the most part, if your reading this, your a Geek. A Geek likes 'counter culture' things like cartoons, anime, RPGs, fantasy novels, horror movies and other such things that the ''mainstream'' does not like. A Geek is more then 'just' a fan though, they are really in to what they like. Even a more causal Geek can tell you almost everything about things they like, things that no 'normal' person would ever know(for example, what race is Greedo from Star Wars or why did Captain Reynolds name his ship Serenity in Firefly).

A geek runs the spectrum from a:''I work down at the pizza pit, And I drive an old Hyundai, I still live with my mom and dad, I'm 5'3 and overweight. I'm a Sci-Fi/RPG fanatic, Mild asthmatic, Never been to 2nd base.'' To:''I'm married with two kids a mortgage and an SUV and all this responsibility.''

A geek can have just about any look, from the 'slightly overweight' to the 'work-out a lot', from the 'business casual' to 'Road Warrior from Bordertown'. They don't so much hide as they are just everywhere. That 6'3'' guy at the gym has a room full of every single Silver Surfer, that quiet hot secretary is "Thundara'' on the weekends in her D&D game and that mean, picky boss has tons of Star Trek stuff filling his house.

For the most part, A Geek 'fits' well into society, as most of the time you won't even know they are a Geek, unless you know them. But even the more obvious ones still fit. Most Geeks have at least some basic social skills and can interact with others. And while a Geek might stand out, as you notice the guy all in black with the Evil Dead T-shirt on, they only stand out as a 'normal counter culture' type.

NerdIs a very smart person with little or no social skills. Nerds lack things like volume control, social filters, the ability to read others and other such common skills. They are almost always nonathletic and wear glasses. They do not fit in to society at all. They always stand out and are always noticeable. A Nerd might be a fan of the same things a Geek likes, but they often lack the 'fun' and 'passion' part of it. A Nerd will often let their love of science and/or math over ride anything else(even common sense).

Coidzor
2012-04-01, 02:48 PM
Clearly, we must love and tolerate Raven some more!

At this point we may need to bring out the big guns. Embracing.

Don Julio Anejo
2012-04-01, 02:54 PM
Question, then: what do you call a person with an unhealthy obsession with academia (i.e. hard sciences like physics or biochemistry) but proper, well-developed social skills and well-groomed appearance?

inexorabletruth
2012-04-01, 02:57 PM
Looked it up.

Nerd:
* a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.
* an intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession.

ORIGIN: 1950s: of unknown origin

Geek:
* an unfashionable or socially inept person
* a person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest
* a carnival performer who does wild or disgusting acts.

ORIGIN: late 19th century: from the related English dialect geck 'fool,' of Germanic origin; related to Dutch gek 'mad, silly.'

There you have it ladies and gentlemen. :smallsmile:

bloodtide
2012-04-01, 03:14 PM
Question, then: what do you call a person with an unhealthy obsession with academia (i.e. hard sciences like physics or biochemistry) but proper, well-developed social skills and well-groomed appearance?

The type of person is not a Nerd or a Geek, they are an Academician. Or just a scientist.

AsteriskAmp
2012-04-01, 03:26 PM
Either Complex or Imaginary.

Coidzor
2012-04-01, 03:55 PM

How is there an unhealthy obsession then? Figure that out and you'll be on your way.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-04-02, 08:44 AM
Time ran a Venn Diagram very much like this one.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_hrvCBhtWhJ4/S785AwKjnfI/AAAAAAAACPY/MGsHYuLMWlw/geek-diagram%5B4%5D.gif

Riverdance
2012-04-02, 10:17 PM
I think "nerd" is more of a stereotype (although based in truth), but "geek" is almost a technical term, referring to, as has been previously stated, one with an obsession or obsessive hobby. I believe I once saw a shop with a name along the lines of "snowmobile geeks." The terms get confused when the aforementioned hobby or obsession is something that could be considered "nerdy."

Feytalist
2012-04-03, 02:14 AM
ORIGIN: late 19th century: from the related English dialect geck 'fool,' of Germanic origin; related to Dutch gek 'mad, silly.'

Geek comes from gek? Oh my, that is brilliant. I'll have to remember that.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-03, 06:00 AM
That's what the dictionary told me. :smallsmile:

Also, it's interesting to note that both words are fairly recent additions to the English language with no direct latin etymology, which means they are most likely just slang that, through popular use, have become indoctrinated into contemporary vernacular and consequently the modern English dictionary.

TBH, they're pretty much synonyms by their respective definitions, but the connotations seem to vary considerably even amongst the nerds and geeks of this board. Here in the D/FW metroplex, "nerd" and "geek" are used with their definitions swapped.

Nerds here in the Dallas area tend to have a fixated devotion to one particular interest (which is actually the definition of a geek)... usually some form of entertainment (gamer nerds, D&D nerds, sci-fi nerds), yet we refer to tech nerds, like computer nerds, as "geeks." Oddly enough, those who have a fixated interest on academia are referred to as "buffs" (history buff, math buff, grammar buff).

I suppose in the face of connotative preference, definitive values just lose their luster.

Kyberwulf
2012-04-03, 11:42 AM
Nerds = Lawful
Geeks = Chaos

'nuff said.

Castaras
2012-04-03, 12:24 PM
Nerds = Lawful
Geeks = Chaos

'nuff said.

I can get behind this definition. :smallbiggrin:

Joxer t' Mighty
2012-04-03, 12:29 PM
Yeah, there is a difference, and I discovered I cannot hold myself to either. I am neither a nerd nor a geek.

I am an intelligent individual who happens to like learning, but though I play D&D, I am not a nerd or geek, I just like 'writing' games as it were. I only play online.

I classify myself as a 'romantic', perhaps at most a 'misfit'. I.e. an artist.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-04-03, 12:35 PM
Nerds = Lawful
Geeks = Chaos

'nuff said.

What if you're neutral? :smallamused:

Ravens_cry
2012-04-03, 06:42 PM
Dork?
Interestingly, dork, until actually quite recently, was also a euphemism for male anatomy.
I have a hunch that "Don't be a dork" is one of the last remaining common uses of that definition, given that a very similar phrase also uses a euphemism for male anatomy as a pejorative.

DeadManSleeping
2012-04-03, 07:54 PM
And "tweet", up until recently, meant the sound that a bird makes. Language changes.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-03, 08:36 PM
And "tweet", up until recently, meant the sound that a bird makes. Language changes.
Yes, it's fascinating how branding can affect language. It's almost genetic engineering compared to biological evolution.
Sometimes, it can work too well, like when trademarks become generic terms, like Kleenex, Thermos, or Band-aid, instead of disposable handkerchief, vacuum flask or adhesive bandage.

DeadManSleeping
2012-04-03, 08:50 PM
Somewhat of a tangent, I think. Mostly what I was trying to say was that modern words which used to mean different things can arrive at their new meanings by quick and nearly-illogical leaps rather than gradual evolution (how is a twig related to a gay man?). I have a feeling that the evolution of "dork" might be a bit less coherent than you made the case for.

Or maybe I'm just being argumentative.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-04, 12:43 AM
Oh, I agree.
In fact, I wonder if it might simply be a case where two words of different origin happen to share the same spelling and sound, like ass as in donkey and the other meaning. Dork as in male anatomy could have a very different origin than dork as a kind/synonym of geek.

Raistlin1040
2012-04-04, 01:02 AM
A Geek likes 'counter culture' things like cartoons, anime, RPGs, fantasy novels, horror movies and other such things that the ''mainstream'' does not like.Geeks are uncool hipsters.

Your words, not mine, brah.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-04, 01:40 AM
Yes, but a Geek doesn't care about irony, they are honest enough to admit to themselves they like something in itself, though nostalgia can play a part.

Moff Chumley
2012-04-04, 01:41 AM
Geeks are uncool hipsters.

Your words, not mine, brah.

Oh no no no. You're the one who invoked the H word, don't pawn off responsibility onto someone else. :smalltongue:

Raistlin1040
2012-04-04, 01:43 AM
Oh no no no. You're the one who invoked the H word, don't pawn off responsibility onto someone else. :smalltongue:Psh. I was being ironic. Duh.

Kyberwulf
2012-04-04, 11:09 AM
Well, if your neutral. You are neither Lawful, nor Chaotic. Ergo you are neutral. i.e. A normal person.

Karoht
2012-04-04, 01:54 PM
I personally view both words as arbitrary labels. It's another example of how we as a society have a need to label everything rather than just accept something for what it is. The negative stereotyping is just society pointing at something different and making fun of it without understanding it first.

Felicia Day just put out a video that I think expresses my feelings on the subject rather well. Check out on the tube of you's, "I'm the one that's cool."

Astrella
2012-04-04, 02:12 PM
I personally view both words as arbitrary labels. It's another example of how we as a society have a need to label everything rather than just accept something for what it is. The negative stereotyping is just society pointing at something different and making fun of it without understanding it first.

Felicia Day just put out a video that I think expresses my feelings on the subject rather well. Check out on the tube of you's, "I'm the one that's cool."

The thing is, labelling in itself isn't a bad thing and very likely a necessary thing in understanding the world. It gets problematic when people reduce others to only their labels and the associated stereotypes. Labels are shortcuts, but they're just that, "shortcuts".

Karoht
2012-04-04, 02:53 PM
The thing is, labelling in itself isn't a bad thing and very likely a necessary thing in understanding the world. It gets problematic when people reduce others to only their labels and the associated stereotypes. Labels are shortcuts, but they're just that, "shortcuts".I have to agree here. My issue then is the usage of the shortcuts and not the shortcut itself. Still seems arbitrary, and after a while starts to have less and less meaning to me.

DeadManSleeping
2012-04-04, 03:35 PM
The thing is, labelling in itself isn't a bad thing and very likely a necessary thing in understanding the world. It gets problematic when people reduce others to only their labels and the associated stereotypes. Labels are shortcuts, but they're just that, "shortcuts".

So you're one of those "label-rejecting" types, huh? :smalltongue:

inexorabletruth
2012-04-05, 02:52 AM
De-labeller. :smallamused:

Moff Chumley
2012-04-05, 09:30 AM
So you're one of those "label-rejecting" types, huh? :smalltongue:

I see what it is you did there.
http://i.qkme.me/10p1.jpg

Madara
2012-04-05, 08:32 PM
The difference is that you must choose the word wisely depending on the person interpretting it. Two people with the same levels of interest in something...ect, even go to Cons, and one will prefer "geek" and the other "nerd". Personally, I don't care as long as it comes from a fellow geek/nerd(Read as: "Enthusiastic Hobbyist"), which makes it acceptable and not offensive.