PDA

View Full Version : D&D tutorial one shot adventure. Help requested, please!

Toy Killer
2012-03-30, 07:59 PM
I have a friend on base starting up a D&D game. we have a good group of folks participating, but three of them have never played before. we have a large group and I'm helping the DM make the world and we decided it would be nice to give the three new guys a chance to learn the actual inter-workings of the game by letting them play through a higher level one shot game. I'm going to DM this session and I want it to start relatively straight forward and then get more and more in depth in each phase of the adventure.

the new guys have been guided through making characters and have picked it up pretty fast. so I'm going to glaze over character creation in the new adventure by making 15th level core-only base classes, feats, races and such, and then create pre-set 15th level magic items for their classes based on what they're playing. The fourth player is experienced and will help out answering questions and giving second opinions and just helping covering bases with our newbies.

----Adventure concept---

a dwarven kingdom has held tournaments to determine who will be king after each king passes away. The current king has deviated that tradition very radically, especially for a dwarf. Insisting that the status-quo is more important then tradition, he has embraced undeath and will be, at least hypothetically, king forever. Many exiled themselves before this decision due to his unusual tolerance to magical augmentations and ancient foes. Even more after he chose to become undead. Neighboring territories have abandoned his lordship over them, and a nearby clove of sea-folk have commented on an alarming rise of unnatural abberations plaguing the coast. Their hunters have tracked them back to the Kingdom's sewer system...

The prior general of the Dwarven kingdom is afraid that the mind of the king has been corrupted long before his 'controversial' decision to lichdom. Assembling forces to reclaim the lost kingdom, he has called apon an adventuring group to serve as a strike force into the keep to help disable the defenses and allow his army access into the nigh-impenetrable keep.

first the party needs to defeat a monstrous spirit of the dwarven city keeping the city safe, despite who ever may be in charge. The resistance doesn't have the expendable troops nessicary to charge them forward while the fore-father is standing at it's gate. The City itself is equiped with siege weapons that can fire indiscriminately at the rebellion.

Once they have done that, they can go into the sewers, and find an entrance into the city itself. while they are down there, they should see if they can find the source of the monstrosities that have been flooding the area.

Once they have made it in the city, they will need to disable the cannon's and open the gates, which will allow the rebellion to enter and help hold off the weaker opposition.

then they can move into the keep itself, find the king and remove him from the throne, where they will learn that he's been under the control of a kraken's minion. The dwarven king helped defend the shoal of sea-elves from the kraken before, and is simply trying to remove resistance before attempting again.

--------

So, i'm fixing the adventure into 4 parts, first will be the outer gates guarded by the kingdom's fore-father (a Kaiju templated zombie, however, with out spell resistance) and out-lying forces to teach them about basic combat (AC, energy resistance, Damage reduction, AoO and such), when completed, the army will be able to ride in when the siege weapons are removed and the gate is opened.

the second part will be going into the sewers of the city, fighting oozes (which have nice immunities here and there, but not ones that make anyone particularly useless), abberations and learning about darkvision, darkness in general, cover, water combat, along with other things.

The third part will be in the city itself. I'd like to bring in spell resistance, but not sure how exactly to do so, and what exactly else to bring in to it, what they should be facing against, etc.

the final part, I want to introduce traps, constructs, golems and possibly 'encounter traps' as they siege the kings throne room.

as for the run of the mill baddies, I'm kinda at a loss. I don't want them fighting loyal dwarves, because it just feels wrong. I've been thinking about throwing down psudonatural templated dwarves, excusing it as experiments done by the second mini-boss in the sewers, (removing the bones, so they can better adopt the image of their kraken-overlord) but it's still not very filling to me.

any 'basic' (or at least regularly occurring) rules that I've missed, ideas to help fill each 'phase' of the adventure out or just anything else really is much appreciated! Thank you all in advance!

JonRG
2012-03-31, 11:29 AM
An aboleth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/aboleth.htm) could play the aberrant dominator and would-be overlord all rolled into one.

If you don't mind fiddling with Pathfinder material, gillmen (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/gillman) are a pretty quick way to make +0 LA fishman mooks. Plus they have an inherent weakness/connection to the aboleth. I can't find any psuedonatural template beside the epic one, so not sure how they'd compare.

Spell-resistance, dwarven kingdom, seems only logical to bring in the drow. Maybe they're exploiting the dwarves' upheaval to destroy them once and for all. Or, given the campaign's level, they're more likely servants/slaves/expendable allies to an adult shadow dragon (Draconomicon 191).

I'll post more ideas as I think of them. This sounds really cool!

Yora
2012-03-31, 11:31 AM
I would rather have them play a lower level adventure at first. D&D 3rd Edition is an incredibly complex system with lots of rules which are far too much for new players. Let them learn the basics firsts before getting to the advanced stuff.

Seatbelt
2012-03-31, 11:35 AM
3rd is ideal for new people. Simple, but resilient enough that your lucky half-orc won't 1-shot anyone.

JonRG
2012-03-31, 11:40 AM
D&D 3rd Edition is an incredibly complex system with lots of rules which are far too much for new players. Let them learn the basics firsts before getting to the advanced stuff.

There is that. I've been dropped into 10-13th level play before, and it's confusing as heck. Some people might enjoy it though.

If you do go the lower level route, just make the king a necropolitan and forget what I said about the dragon. :smallbiggrin:

Toy Killer
2012-03-31, 08:27 PM
Were all in the navy, and the Kraken is a bit of a nod to a particular spice rum that we seem to run out of regularly, but an aboleth could appear in the sewers.

Drow work, I could figure this into a capitalizing alliance for various evil folk around...

Haven't seen/heard of gillmen, but i'll look into it. psuedo-natural comes from complete arcane (Mage? i always get them confused, the one with a rat familiar on the cover), they at least reference it with the alienist PRC.

I plan on starting things off relatively simply and slow mix in complications, you know, kinda like progressing a character... only... in fast forward...

they do run a risk of TPK, but their not characters they will put a lot of work into, and it's no hard feeling for anyone involved. their just getting a feel for the game. so if the fighter does decide to leave the party behind and learns quickly of the dangers of a random encounter, when we play the actual game, he'll see that it's not as having armor =/= nigh unkillable.