PDA

View Full Version : Search and Memberlist Temporarily Disabled

Rawhide
2012-03-31, 01:06 AM
I've had to disable the search and memberlist temporarily. It will be back in a few days. Please use Google, Bing, or your search engine of choice to search the forums in the meantime. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Dark Elf Bard
2012-03-31, 08:03 AM
Out of curiosity, why?

LeSwordfish
2012-03-31, 08:49 AM
Oh, is this why i don't have permission to search my own post history? Fair enough.

Hexalan
2012-03-31, 10:10 AM
Who uses bing?

In case you do not know, you can google:
site:giantitp.com/forums [insert whatever it is you are searching here]

Agent 451
2012-03-31, 12:30 PM
Thanks for that tip Hexalan!

No brains
2012-03-31, 12:37 PM
I've had to disable the search and memberlist temporarily. It will be back in a few days. Please use Google, Bing, or your search engine of choice to search the forums in the meantime. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the heads up. I was worried a joke went too far and I was getting punished. :u

Chess435
2012-03-31, 01:02 PM
10 gold says that this is in preparation for an April Fool's joke. :smallamused:

Rawhide
2012-03-31, 01:08 PM
10 gold says that this is in preparation for an April Fool's joke. :smallamused:

Actually, no. Search (including memberlist) is the single most resource intensive function of the site. I am loathe to disable search, as it is such a valuable feature, but I couldn't access the forums today in 10 min chunks. This is bad enough when you're not trying to prepare for an upgrade.

Mutant Sheep
2012-03-31, 04:21 PM
I haven't felt any of the error messages or busy server things, so I'm all for the lack of search until you can take all your temporary adjustments (The hide sidebar thing is awesome Rawhide, but I miss destroying the universe and I cant find that page anymore:smallredface:) and turn the Playground into like, some kinda place where you DON'T trip over the sides of the sandbox and fall flat on the toy truck and get a big bruise. (metaphorically speaking I guess, in the terms of error messages and stuff, I'll shut up now.:smallwink:)

Haruki-kun
2012-04-01, 10:33 AM
Is this why I can't access the threads I made from my profile, or is that a different issue?

Snowbody
2012-04-01, 04:02 PM
Yes, that uses search. Google yourself.

martianmister
2012-04-03, 03:25 PM
Any progress? :smallfrown:

Kalrany
2012-04-03, 04:53 PM
Thank you for the notification! Since I am still new to the board, I had assumed that I miss-clicked and somehow rid myself of the function! :smalltongue: Good luck with your upgrade and soforth....

Castaras
2012-04-04, 06:27 AM
Yes, that uses search. Google yourself.

That sounds so wrong.

Talya
2012-04-05, 07:24 AM
Is this at all related to why several forums seem to have had their history severely truncated? Seeing only 3 pages on media, for instance, or 4 on the comic forum.

Zherog
2012-04-05, 09:24 AM
No, that's caused by the default filter. Scroll to the bottom of the forum page, and you'll see the filter. The default is to only show threads from the last 30 days, but you can change it via the drop box.

Tulya
2012-04-06, 12:34 AM
Any progress? :smallfrown:

Unless there's a sudden exodus of forum-goers or a costly server upgrade, you shouldn't expect any significant changes. This is a fairly normal stage in the life of a very active forum without some external source of financial support. Each forum tackles the problems of the massive resource use differently, but they all share the same fundamental challenge.

You might consider temporarily replacing the search function with an add-on that integrates Google searching into the forum. I believe there are also vB add-ons that allow you to automatically switch search modes as a function of server load, swapping out the built-in search for an alternative search (like the Google site: search) when the servers are taxed.

Kish
2012-04-06, 07:41 AM
Unless there's a sudden exodus of forum-goers or a costly server upgrade, you shouldn't expect any significant changes.
The OP says "It will be back in a few days."

If it needs to be offline for longer or even permanently, then it needs to, but I don't think it's out of line for martianmister to want to know.

Cyborg Mage
2012-04-06, 11:24 AM
Sorry, but "a week" is not my typical definition of "a few days". If the forums are getting an upgrade, fine, but I'd at least look forward to a little bit more accurate ETA. This is kinda throwing me off.

Roland St. Jude
2012-04-06, 01:42 PM
Sorry, but "a week" is not my typical definition of "a few days". If the forums are getting an upgrade, fine, but I'd at least look forward to a little bit more accurate ETA. This is kinda throwing me off.
Sheriff: Okay, Search and Memberlist are indefinitely disabled. They're features that we all rely upon, so we'll make them available again as soon as we are able. We apologize for any inconvenience; it's an inconvenience we share.