PDA

View Full Version : Planescape: Torment HD

Trixie
2012-03-31, 10:21 AM
In case you haven't heard, company making HD remakes of old games expressed interest in updating Torment's graphics and possibly interface here (https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster/status/183904243772698625).

So, let me hear it, yay! or NMA? :smalltongue:

factotum
2012-03-31, 11:07 AM
Wait and see how the HD version of Baldur's Gate comes out, is what I say...if they do a good job of it, then YAY! Otherwise, leave the game well enough alone.

Zen Master
2012-03-31, 11:35 AM
A smoother, slicker, more up to date Planescape: Torment. Yes. Hells yes. Trouble is if they try to get creative. Or ... even if they decide they need to update the voice acting or some such.

I can still hear TNO when he says "What's the hold-up?" or "Don't let it end like this!"

If they decide to change anything much, they'll be messing with the atmosphere of the game, and they run a very real risk of ruining it.

Aotrs Commander
2012-03-31, 12:08 PM
As I said in the BG3 thread, a visually updated Torment is something I would be interested in... Though again, I would hold some measure of caution until it was revealed how much they'd altered and updated.

And getting the voice cast back would be a necessity if you were going to redo all the dialogue voiced; though that would be a monumental task, problably beyond the budget (seeing as how big some of the names are! I didn't realise TNO was whathisface from Pretender until my last playthrough.)

If they did pretty much the same ironing out of the bugs as the fan patches, new graphics, and maybe a rules system update (not necessarily needing to be to any edition, just some polishing of AD&D with some of the better aspects of the new rules, maybe - but if you added some of the obvious things like allowing a max hit point/level up like the later games, that would probably be enough to take some of the fiddle out if it), it would be fine. Adding a few more bits would be okay too (maybe a few new sidequest areas or something; it's not like that would skew the XP curve out any more, given it managed passably that one time I solo'd the game for maximum XP (having party members only long enough to farm their conversations for XP!) and finished the game at level 60. (The final boss couldn't actually kill me, I was regenerating so fast!)

hobbitkniver
2012-04-01, 03:13 PM
Just finished this game for the first time a few days ago. Coincidences eh? That said, this game really doesn't need good graphics to be good and they could easily botch it and ruin it's overall feel. If they really wanted to improve it, maybe they could add some things besides graphics like ranged weapons, more spells, or possibly more classes if they could make that work.

Trixie
2012-04-01, 03:40 PM
More classes? How? :smallconfused:

I'd be surprised to see them touch anything other than graphics and maybe GUI (I still want to murder the person who did that). I really don't see them touching writing or voice acting, maybe some minor additions, but that's all.

Morty
2012-04-01, 03:55 PM
Messing with the writing and voice acting would be an extremely risky move on their part - no matter what they'd do, someone would hate it - so I too expect mostly "technical" upgrades.

hobbitkniver
2012-04-01, 03:57 PM

I'd be surprised to see them touch anything other than graphics and maybe GUI (I still want to murder the person who did that). I really don't see them touching writing or voice acting, maybe some minor additions, but that's all.

Make an npc that teaches you to become a cleric is mostly what I meant by that. I don't think it'd be unreasonable to add some bows or crossbows since one character already used ranged weapons.

Weezer
2012-04-01, 04:23 PM

I'd love anyone who made Planscape have the same GUI as Baldur's Gate 2. Never understood why Planescape's was so horrid...

Gorgondantess
2012-04-01, 04:24 PM
I donno... updating Torment to HD graphics would have to be done very, very delicately. The game as is has a masterfully created atmosphere, and I could see updating the graphics in such a way only making things worse.

AgentKalim
2012-04-01, 06:07 PM
Remake Planescape Torment? Errr.... why? It's not the kind of game that gets played by people who can't get past the "dated" (not really, the backgrounds are still pretty fancy) graphics, and the interface is not THAT clunky. Everything in that game is delicately balanced, and unless they touch it up REALLY masterfully, they're gonna murder it. They should let our memories of the glorious interactive experience rest in peace.

Make an npc that teaches you to become a cleric

NO. The Nameless One cannot become a cleric. No god wants him. The Nameless One also doesn't use ranged weapons. Screw that.

hobbitkniver
2012-04-01, 06:13 PM
NO. The Nameless One cannot become a cleric. No god wants him. The Nameless One also doesn't use ranged weapons. Screw that.

Did that really upset you or something? Besides, what about Fall-from-Grace? She isn't a cleric of any particular Deity. In the Forgotten Realms, a cleric is required to worship a particular Deity but I didn't see anywhere that said this applied to the Planescape setting. And what exactly makes him not able to use ranged weapons? Does this also apply to all of his companions? He doesn't use ranged weapons because they aren't in the game not because of any good reason.

ex cathedra
2012-04-01, 06:21 PM
Considering that PS:T is literally the best game of its genre, anything that brings more attention to it is welcome. Strictly speaking, an HD rework (though, preferably, keeping in line with that beautiful hand-painted artstyle) with a new interface that ships with the implementation of all of the important PS:T mods would be just glorious.

Hell, just making it play nice with modern graphics processing would be a blessing. You have to jump through hoops to make it play nice on a modern machine, and PS:T's issues aren't even that bad, relative to other games from that time period.

Zombieboots
2012-04-01, 06:34 PM
Initiation reaction: YES!

After some thought: Oh. "WANT" to do PS: Torment. Well I'm no stranger to that industry to know how many times that word is used.

We'll see. Hope and see.