PDA

View Full Version : How much is enough?

Zach J.
2012-03-31, 11:08 AM
My current character, a NG Human Cleric of Pelor, is currently en route with the rest of his party to his former home, a mostly LE empire that is largely dedicated to Asmodeus. Unknown to the rest of the party, my character has family in Azrael, the capital in this empire. Nothing wrong with that except that they are slaves. My character would like to free his family and since I may soon have an opportunity to do so I would like to make sure that I have thought things through.

I was planning to first attempt to buy the slaves and free them and, if that does not work, resort to less legal methods of extraction. The character has a little over 2000 gp to spend on ship fare, living expenses for his family, etc. I don't want to sound greedy, but I would like to keep at least a 1000 of that for my character to spend on scrolls and potions for the party. (I'm sure the character would spend whatever it takes to see his family to safety, but out of game I need to make sure the party stays healthy. ;))

What I've got so far:
About 100 gp for ship fare
400 gp for a Nondetection spell cast by a journeyman wizard on the sister and nephew in case my character has to hide them for a short time.
500 gp for misc. expenses

How does that sound?

rollforeigninit
2012-03-31, 02:27 PM
Not knowing the economics of your campaign setting I'd have no idea where to start. A little more background might be in order.

Omegas
2012-03-31, 03:22 PM
It sounds like you have put a lot of though into this.

rollforeigninit is correct without knowing the game economy it is hard to advise you, but and equally important factor is your DM.

As a DM I dont spend a great deal of time tracking their wealth but I do keep in mind how much they have bought or sold when it comes to expendables. (like scrolls or potions)

If they have bought more then they have sold back and they are under par for their character level wealth then they will occasionally run into a treasure chest or item worth 1/2 their expendable expediences for the last level.

On the other hand if they are hoarding expendables some monsters will not drop as much as normal. A general rule of thumb is that your expendables should not exceed 20% or your wealth below level 10 or 10% of your wealth for higher levels. It falls under the same category as having a magical item worth more then 1/4 your characters wealth. In my campaigns a thief would see you as an easy mark.

Reasonably sacrificing your loot to buy expendables provides you with a minor benefit that should not seriously harm your future income or wealth per level. If you have a good DM they should compensate for this, the same way they compensate for a major equipment loss to the party.

Being a cleric you already take a 10% hit to your loot, so what I guess I am saying is that you should not be afraid to invest in expendables that help your party, but the sum of your loot should not be dedicate to that purpose. Even as a cleric, your character has needs as well. If your party can not survive without you then they need to rethink their tactics.

Slipperychicken
2012-03-31, 04:22 PM
How does that sound?

Could we get details like:

Level?
Other Characters (builds/classes) in Party? For example, your fullcaster buddy might be able to cast Nondetection for free, or even teleport you guys in and out.
Total wealth?

Kol Korran
2012-04-01, 12:57 AM
as said, there are three major factors that makes estimating the needed amount impossible:
1) the economics of the setting
2) the possibilities of getting your family to safety
3) perhaps most important- how much your DM is going to mess with you. :smallamused:

the DM might inform you one of your family has commited a crime, and is about to be hanged and now you need to rescue them and can't just buy them.

you may need to arrange a hefty bribe.

Perhaps your family are marked with some sign which alerts ship captains not to take them aboard

and so on and so on. any DM worth his/ her salt will turn this into an adventure.

P.S: alert the other party members of your family and plans. if you guys risked your lives for each other, they should know, and might help you as well.

Zach J.
2012-04-01, 08:49 AM
The rest of the party includes a Human Paladin of Saint Cuthbert, a Halfling Rogue (with no Use Magic Device), a Drow Sorcerer (who looks like a surface elf thanks to a Hat of Disguise) and a Half-Orc Warmage (who used to be an elf). We are all effectively level 6. The only reason I have not told the rest of the players about my plans is because I joined the game only recently and thought they would be more willing to help after I had healed them through a couple of battles. :smallwink:

I am afraid I do not know much about the economics of the setting. I believe the DM normally makes things like that up on the fly, but I will ask him to be sure. My total wealth is near 3000 gp (Unless you meant I should include items?).

So far the DM has been fairly nice and hasn't messed with my character too much, but I am trying to keep my mind open to all possibilities. I do not think it too unlikely to expect something bad to happen to my character's family as we approach the possibility of their rescue.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-01, 12:28 PM
Some ideas:

Hold out 4 levels till the Sorcerer can learn Teleport (and s/he better learn Teleport. Awesome spell, that), and save cash on ships. If you got the Travel domain, you can learn it yourself.

Recalculate shipping costs, knowing that it's only 1sp/mile? (100gp means 1,000 miles. That might be farther than you need).

Send in someone you trust with a Bluff/Disguise score to buy the slaves (friend of the church? repentant sinner? party member?). If the slavers identify you as family, they'll be able to squeeze more cash out of you. And you don't want that. Maybe you can be wrapped up head-to-toe so no one can identify you, stand silently next to the friend, to nod your head and point when you see your family so he buys the right ones.

Not officially release them until you're out of Slaver Country, so that, if anyone steals them again before that, you have the law on your side to get them back (they're my PROPERTY).