PDA

View Full Version : Best pokemon Tabletop Rpg?

GoblinGilmartin
2012-03-31, 01:13 PM
Can someone suggest a good pokemon pen-and-paper? I know that tons of homebrews exist, so i'm looking for a good one to play with my friends.

Bonus points for a large amount of stated out pokemon.
Thanks playgrounders!

dsmiles
2012-03-31, 01:18 PM
Here (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/pokethulhu.htm)'s my favorite. :smallbiggrin:

Arcran
2012-03-31, 01:21 PM
There's this. (http://forums.pokemontabletop.com/index/)

If you download the PDFs every Pokemon is statted as well as multiple PC classes. I've been using the system for awhile and like it so far.

The-Mage-King
2012-03-31, 01:23 PM

If you download the PDFs every Pokemon is statted as well as multiple PC classes. I've been using the system for awhile and like it so far.

Seconded. This is a good system.

Arcran
2012-03-31, 01:28 PM
If you swing by recruitment I'm starting a game up. It'll give you a chance to try the system out.

Link. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238068)

GoblinGilmartin
2012-03-31, 01:59 PM

can you send me straight to the main pdfs?

Greyfeld85
2012-03-31, 02:35 PM

I played with this system last year, and I got tired of all the imbalances and redundancies. Classes that trod on roleplaying, class abilities that ranged wildly from useless to must-haves, poorly-constructed trainer combat, worsely-constructed pokemon statistics...

And frankly, the entire system is a ridiculous cobbling together of video game crunch and anime cinematics, which just don't really mesh together that well.

I haven't looked at the system in quite a while so many of my complaints may have been fixed by now. But my first impressions stick with me.

Arcran
2012-03-31, 02:38 PM
I played with this system last year, and I got tired of all the imbalances and redundancies. Classes that trod on roleplaying, class abilities that ranged wildly from useless to must-haves, poorly-constructed trainer combat, worsely-constructed pokemon statistics...

I haven't looked at the system in quite a while so many of my complaints may have been fixed by now. But my first impressions stick with me.

It has been a year. Most features are useful now, Trainer combat is far better, and Pokemon have fairly good balance.

Greyfeld85
2012-03-31, 02:43 PM
It has been a year. Most features are useful now, Trainer combat is far better, and Pokemon have fairly good balance.

Did they fix how ability scores work? Previously, defenses and attacks were massively powerful, while Speed took a back seat. There was literally zero reason for dumping stat points into Speed.

Arcran
2012-03-31, 02:45 PM
Did they fix how ability scores work? Previously, defenses and attacks were massively powerful, while Speed took a back seat. There was literally zero reason for dumping stat points into Speed.

It now gives you Evasion that works on all attacks including ones such as Hypnosis that the Defenses don't effect. Going up in Initiative is useful as well, especially with the lighting battle speed.

Greyfeld85
2012-03-31, 02:51 PM
It now gives you Evasion that works on all attacks including ones such as Hypnosis that the Defenses don't effect. Going up in Initiative is useful as well, especially with the lighting battle speed.

So they implemented our Evasion idea, eh? Well ok, I can't say it was our idea, as the creators may have been toying with the idea on their own. But back when some people on Myth Weavers were toying around with the system last year, a few of us got together and started playtesting an Accuracy/Evasion home rule. I don't actually recall if we posted our test results on the official PTA website or not, but there was quite a bit of documentation on MW.

Pyromancer999
2012-03-31, 03:09 PM
Here (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/pokethulhu.htm)'s my favorite. :smallbiggrin:

Pokethulhu is good.

Currently gaining in popularity is the Pokemon Tabletop Adventures game, which originated in and was created by 4chan. You can find the documents easily online, and they're free to download. A good part of the system is that you aren't restricted to being a trainer like in the games. You can be a trainer, a breeder, even a Pokemon Ranger, amongst other things. I'd recommend giving it a shot.

chaosgirl
2012-04-02, 11:01 AM
I'm going to say Monsters: And Other Childish Things.

Once you strip the mind bending eldrich horror from the SETTING, the RULES are really good for "build your own murder pet".

eggs
2012-04-02, 02:12 PM
I'm going to say Monsters: And Other Childish Things.
That's hilarious. Now I really want to pick that game back up and give it that extra bit of a twist.

chaosgirl
2012-04-02, 03:15 PM
Truth be told, I've never USED Monsters for that, but its pretty good for making personalized murder critters, I have to assume it could do Pokemon pretty well

MesiDoomstalker
2012-04-02, 04:33 PM
If you swing by recruitment I'm starting a game up. It'll give you a chance to try the system out.

Link. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238068)

I've been reading the PH and it looks really interesting. Some of the wording is a bit confusing though.

GoblinGilmartin
2012-04-05, 01:34 PM
I've seen Pokethulu and M&OCT, and they look interesting, at least M&OCT, but for my purposes i mean explicitly pokemon. Not just a Mons Game

Fouredged Sword
2012-04-05, 08:45 PM
Mutants & Masterminds could be used if you have a group that feels at home with the DnD style dice mechanic. Mecha and Manga has a whole chapter about playing a pocket monster style game. You could stat out generic starters and let your players train them to have whatever stats they want, or let your players create their own monsters and wing it for NPC's.

Lock your players at PL 5 and let the monsters start as a PL 5 summon device. As the players level the pokemon gets most the points and the player himself advances slowly.

GoblinGilmartin
2012-04-06, 12:30 AM
I wasnt very impressed by the hit system in M&M, I'd like to try it again at some point, maybe with the next edition rules. I didn't realize it needed so much DM input to stay balanced.

Fouredged Sword
2012-04-06, 04:23 PM
The hit system isn't the best I have seen, but I once made a toughness->hp/Power->damage conversion that worked fairly well and turned the system back to a DnD light system.

But yes, Dm control is needed to maintain balance. All you need is one summon loop and the game will break.

DewodahS
2014-05-28, 10:04 AM

I've been looking for the game system on there for about 10 minutes and haven't found it. I'm sure I'm just over looking it but where is it?

Grod_The_Giant
2014-05-28, 10:56 AM
Pokemon Tabletop Adventures exists, as does a spin-off, Pokemon Tabletop United. Someone more familiar can tell you the difference, although I think they're pretty similar at base. I've heard that PTU is more streamlined, though.

M&M could also work, though I'd say it depends a lot on your familiarity with things. If you know it pretty well, it could work with some tweaking. If you're going to have to learn a new system, you might as well pick one that was made for Pokemon.

Advantages of M&M, as I see them:

Great trainer-pokemon transparency.
Flexibility in building means that two of the same pokemon could play fairly differently, adding variety.
Trainers can have meaningful abilities, if desired. Or not.
Dat M&M character building fun.

Disadvantages:

You'd have to build every pokemon you wanted to use from scratch. Wild ones would probably have to be to PL, too.
No set builds for pokemon mean that two of the same pokemon of the same type might be radically different, possibly damaging verisimilitude.
You'd have to kludge together a capture mechanic. (Ranged Affliction X (blank, blank, "captured"; resisted by PL), limited: only on wild pokemon, feature: toughness penalties apply to the save)?

Note: assuming M&M 3e/DC Adventures here.

I wasnt very impressed by the hit system in M&M, I'd like to try it again at some point, maybe with the next edition rules. I didn't realize it needed so much DM input to stay balanced.
I houseruled it to work in other direction, so that you make a Damage check against the target's Toughness+5. Combined with rolling 2d10 for said checks, to reduce swinginess, it works pretty well. It feels more natural to roll damage, and there's a lot less back-and-forth.

The hit system isn't the best I have seen, but I once made a toughness->hp/Power->damage conversion that worked fairly well and turned the system back to a DnD light system.

But yes, Dm control is needed to maintain balance. All you need is one summon loop and the game will break.
You mean the same Summon power that explicitly says "A summoned minion...cannot have minions of its own, either from this effect or the Minions advantage"?

The game certainly requires a degree of DM oversight and input, but I'd argue that it needs less than, say, D&D. After all, as long as everyone's hitting their PL caps, everyone's going to be able to contribute to combat relatively evenly. And it's pretty easy to tell when you're building a munchkin character in M&M (continuous Concealment+Subtle 2 attacks?), as opposed to something like D&D where your Sublime Chord gish might be fine for one game and hideously overpowered for another.

geonova
2014-05-28, 12:23 PM
another vote for PTU, it's the best pokemon system i've found

jbarron81
2015-01-27, 12:53 PM
There's a Pokemon like RPG right now on kickstarter.com called MajiMonsters

segedi
2015-05-04, 04:57 AM
Can someone suggest a good pokemon pen-and-paper? I know that tons of homebrews exist, so i'm looking for a good one to play with my friends.

Bonus points for a large amount of stated out pokemon.
Thanks playgrounders!

Hey guys their is a new Pokemon Role Playing Game coming out called Pokemon Origins - Pen and Paper roleplaying game.

Check out the link it seem to be a very good game.
www.pokemon-origins.tk

Haruki-kun
2015-05-04, 10:14 AM
The Winged Mod: Thread Necromancy.