PDA

View Full Version : A Very Important Question about Battle Blessing...

Getsugaru
2012-03-31, 02:19 PM
Battle Blessing effectively quickens a paladin's spells. After reading the feat, this thought came to mind. "Hey, it says paladin casting. I wonder if it also works on a Prestige Paladin's casting too."

So I've come to ask you, Playground, does Battle Blessing apply to a Prestige Paladin's casting?

tyckspoon
2012-03-31, 02:21 PM
No. Prestige Paladins do not have Paladin spells. They have Cleric or Ranger or Druid or whatever class they entered with- that's what "+1 existing class" advancement means. You don't have Paladin spells from Prestige Paladin any more than you have Arcane Trickster Spells or Mystic Theurge Spells.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-31, 02:27 PM
RAI, definitely not. Even though you lose about 2/3 of your casting (assuming you follow the entire class through), all your spells are quickened.

It's even worse if you only dip PP for divine grace/TU, because then you only lose a single caster level (again, assuming that you'll progress in a full casting PrC) for quickening all of your spells, including your high level ones. Quickened Holy Word, anyone?

RAW, it'd depend on your DM.Battle Blessing specifies Paladin casting, and in the Prestigious Clases section of UA, it mentions that the DM should consider letting the player access spells only available to that base class. As seen here;

Unique Spells

The bard, paladin, and ranger spell lists contain a number of spells that don't appear on other classes' spell lists. In general, any character who enters one of these prestige classes should gain access to spells unique to that class's spell list, at the same levels indicated for the standard class. At the game master's discretion, spells unique to that class's spell list found in other books may also be available, but on a case by case basis. The game master may require such spells to be researched or learned specifically by the character, rather than simply making them freely available.

If they let you take Paladin spells, I'd probably say this is legal by RAW. Otherwise, no.

Ernir
2012-03-31, 02:28 PM
This requires a definition of what a "Paladin spell" is. I'm not sure we have one.

Big Fau
2012-03-31, 02:30 PM
RAW? Maybe.

RAI? I'd allow Battle Blessing to only apply to spells that are actually on the Paladin class' spell list. So Cure Light Wounds would work, but Bestow Curse wouldn't.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-03-31, 02:48 PM
While I'm in the middle of playing a Paladin, I should ask.

How does this interact with Sword of the Arcane Order and preparing Wizard spells in your Paladin slots?

tyckspoon
2012-03-31, 03:02 PM
RAW, it'd depend on your DM.Battle Blessing specifies Paladin casting, and in the Prestigious Clases section of UA, it mentions that the DM should consider letting the player access spells only available to that base class. As seen here;

If they let you take Paladin spells, I'd probably say this is legal by RAW. Otherwise, no.

If your DM feels like being generous, Battle Blessing *may* apply to and only to those spells that are unique to the Paladin list, since you only have access to them because you are a (Prestige) Paladin, and hence they are arguably Paladin spells. They can just as well be argued to be an addition to your entry class list, however, and Battle Blessing still wouldn't apply to them in that case. Battle Blessing will *never* apply to your entire spell list; trying to make it do so is at best wishful reading and at worst a deliberate act of munchkinry.

Coidzor
2012-03-31, 03:03 PM

How does this interact with Sword of the Arcane Order and preparing Wizard spells in your Paladin slots?

I believe that's in "Have fun asking your DM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3VxOqHI-4)" territory.

Godskook
2012-03-31, 03:04 PM
RAW? Maybe.

RAI? I'd allow Battle Blessing to only apply to spells that are actually on the Paladin class' spell list. So Cure Light Wounds would work, but Bestow Curse wouldn't.

I'd either say no or go with Big Fau's approach too.

Siosilvar
2012-03-31, 03:08 PM

Take your pick:
1) Works on Paladin spell slots.
2) Works with Paladin spells but not with Wizard spells in those slots.

Psyren
2012-03-31, 03:28 PM
"A Paladin spell" is a spell on the Paladin spell list.
It will affect PrC Paladins, but only for those spells that are on the Paladin list.

It doesn't - they're still Wizard spells, you just get access to them. They're not on the Paladin list.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-31, 06:43 PM
Now that I've had more time to think about it (and actually reread the feat in question), it likely would only apply to spells on the paladin list.

FMArthur
2012-03-31, 06:58 PM
It's still a bit of a trick because you're getting those Paladin spells faster than a regular Paladin regardless.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-04-02, 05:41 PM
It doesn't - they're still Wizard spells, you just get access to them. They're not on the Paladin list.

Yeah honestly after I took five seconds to listen to what I just asked, this is definitely correct. SotAO is good enough without infinite Sudden Quickens.

Wings of Peace
2012-04-02, 05:49 PM
RAW I like to believe yes but it's debatable as this thread has shown.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-04-02, 06:15 PM
Say you have a feat or class feature which applies to your Wizard spells. Say you take levels in both Wizard and Sorcerer. You learn some spells via Wizard, and you learn other spells via Sorcerer. That effect which applies to your Wizard spells does not apply to any spell you learn or cast via your Sorcerer class, because those are your Sorcerer spells, not your Wizard spells. You didn't learn them as Wizard spells, and despite being on the class spell list, you do not cast them as Wizard spells.

"Benefit: You can cast most of your paladin spells faster
than normal."

Similarly, it is completely irrelevant what class spell list a given spell appears on with regards to Battle Blessing. If you're only capable of casting spells as a Cleric, then all of those spells are YOUR Cleric spells, regardless of what other class lists they appear on. Battle Blessing only benefits YOUR Paladin spells, so if you are not capable of casting spells as a paladin, then you have no paladin spells. How other characters of different classes treat those spells has absolutely nothing to do with your character or your class spell lists.

Regarding Sword of the Arcane Order, you prepare Wizard spells in your Paladin or Ranger spell slots. You're using a Paladin spell slot to prepare and cast the spell, so it's cast as a Paladin spell for that casting, regardless of what class list it's on. There are exceptions, such as using your Int score for the DC, but it's still a Paladin spell slot and that casting is still as though it were a Paladin spell. Battle Blessing will apply in this case.