PDA

View Full Version : Mimicking an Artificer

Zombulian
2012-03-31, 04:48 PM
Hey guys, so recently I have been looking into invocation classes a lot (ie: DFA and Warlock) and I have noticed that one of the best things going for a Warlock is their ability they share with Artificers of taking 10 on UMD checks. So apparently they can be decent crafters.
My problem with crafting in a class that doesn't have a crafting pool is well... it doesn't have a crafting pool :smalltongue:. So this is what was keeping me away from trying out a Warlock crafter.
Recently I have also looked into the Item Familiar feat. Now I realize that most DM's might not allow this, because well... it's pretty cheesy. But looking at it from a Warlock-wannabe-artificer perspective, it's a feat that gives me a crafting pool!
So if I were to try this out, what are feats I should focus for? What items should I go for? Dual-Wielding wands or casting off scrolls?
Advice!

Godskook
2012-03-31, 04:58 PM
Warlocks make sub-par artificers for a couple reasons:

1.They get no xp mitigation, putting them about on par with casters for this, instead of Artificers. Artificers get both retain essence and a craft reserve.

2.They get no relevant bonus feats, while artificers get most of the common crafting feats for free as well as a bonus feat list that gets most of the others.

3.They don't get their crafting ability until lvl 12, making them entirely useless as crafters till then.

My advice is that if you wanna play a crafter, actually build an artificer.

Zombulian
2012-03-31, 05:04 PM
Warlocks make sub-par artificers for a couple reasons:

1.They get no xp mitigation, putting them about on par with casters for this, instead of Artificers. Artificers get both retain essence and a craft reserve.

2.They get no relevant bonus feats, while artificers get most of the common crafting feats for free as well as a bonus feat list that gets most of the others.

3.They don't get their crafting ability until lvl 12, making them entirely useless as crafters till then.

My advice is that if you wanna play a crafter, actually build an artificer.

But that route involves logic and reason... wat.

Godskook
2012-03-31, 05:05 PM
But that route involves logic and reason... wat.

If you wanted an answer devoid of logic or reason, you posted to the wrong forum.

SirFredgar
2012-03-31, 06:39 PM
I am also wondering how a Warlock meets the spell prerequisites for crafting the items, since he lacks the artificer's ability to emulate a spell for crafting purposes.

Admittedly I don't know much about a warlock, so they may very well have a way around this I'm missing.

Tvtyrant
2012-03-31, 06:39 PM
The usual way to play a Craftlock is to get to level 12 as a Warlock, and then take 2 levels in Chamelon for the floating feat (which you can use to take crafting feats). You don't get the mitigation of an Artificer, but there are some obscure things you are good at. Frostburn has an item that is made of a skull that can act like a 9th level potion, meaning there is no UMD needed to get a 9th. Crafting those for your none-caster friends is nice.

Zombulian
2012-04-01, 01:04 PM
If you wanted an answer devoid of logic or reason, you posted to the wrong forum.

Well I dunno, I was just hoping that when I ask about Warlock someone would be kind enough to help me with Warlock and not just tell me I'm doing it wrong.

eggs
2012-04-01, 01:25 PM
Check out the experience (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.msg239191#msg239191) section of the cost mitigation handbook.

But the Chameleon trick is key. Otherwise, Craft Wondrous Item is the most versatile option, but many of the other creation feats are to niche to dedicate the feat slots for.

Snowbluff
2012-04-01, 01:57 PM
Well I dunno, I was just hoping that when I ask about Warlock someone would be kind enough to help me with Warlock and not just tell me I'm doing it wrong.

Don't worry. According to this forum Warlocks are more boring than Monks (!!!) to talk about. :smallannoyed:

Aegis013
2012-04-01, 05:43 PM
Extraordinary and Legendary Artisan are definitely good for any crafting focused character if you can swing them.

Godskook
2012-04-02, 03:32 PM

In that case, your best option is to take feat-boy as your sidekick(via Leadership), who's of any caster or artificer ilk(from Healer to Wizard). Use his willing natural feats to supply you with the actual feats while your class ability provides all the relevant pre-reqs. Way less cheesy than an Item Familiar and would actually make some sense fluff-wise for leadership.

Hell, make it another warlock, your 'student' of sorts, a pairing akin to that of Ace Hardware and Cubbins.

Tvtyrant
2012-04-02, 07:05 PM
The other option for crafting involves crafting scrolls to let you craft other things. How it works is as follows:

1. Play a Warlock to level 12. That can be a little painful, but your character isn't competing with super-magics yet at that point.

2. Get a hold of the Craft Scroll feat.

3. Make a Scroll of Polymorph (technically it can be done with a Scroll of Alter Self or a Scroll of Shapechange as well).

4. Use your scroll to transform into a Midgard Dwarf from the book Frostburn. These get the Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, and Forge Ring feats as an extraordinary ability, which also lets you make any of these items without an UMD check. The problem with this method is that you have to cast it a few times to have enough time to finish crafting, but its 3 crafting feats for the price of a few scrolls.

SirFredgar
2012-04-02, 07:26 PM
The other option for crafting involves crafting scrolls to let you craft other things. How it works is as follows:

1. Play a Warlock to level 12. That can be a little painful, but your character isn't competing with super-magics yet at that point.

2. Get a hold of the Craft Scroll feat.

3. Make a Scroll of Polymorph (technically it can be done with a Scroll of Alter Self or a Scroll of Shapechange as well).

4. Use your scroll to transform into a Midgard Dwarf from the book Frostburn. These get the Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, and Forge Ring feats as an extraordinary ability, which also lets you make any of these items without an UMD check. The problem with this method is that you have to cast it a few times to have enough time to finish crafting, but its 3 crafting feats for the price of a few scrolls.

How can a warlock craft anything? He has a CL, sure, but he doesn't have the spells he needs to meet the requirement for making items. How can he make a scroll of polymorph without having polymorph? I know artificers specifically gain the ability to do this through UMD, but I do not know of a similar mechanic for warlocks.

I don't have the class in front of me, however, so there could be something I'm missing.

Answerer
2012-04-02, 07:43 PM
How can a warlock craft anything? He has a CL, sure, but he doesn't have the spells he needs to meet the requirement for making items. How can he make a scroll of polymorph without having polymorph? I know artificers specifically gain the ability to do this through UMD, but I do not know of a similar mechanic for warlocks.

I don't have the class in front of me, however, so there could be something I'm missing.
Warlock 12 gets Imbue Item, which is an Artificer-like ability to use UMD to craft magic items.

Snowbluff
2012-04-02, 07:45 PM

At level 12 he gets Imbue Item, where a UMD check replaces knowing a spell.

SirFredgar
2012-04-02, 07:47 PM
Warlock 12 gets Imbue Item, which is an Artificer-like ability to use UMD to craft magic items.

Thanks, that really clears up my confusion.

Edit:

At level 12 he gets Imbue Item, where a UMD check replaces knowing a spell.
Double Thanks :)