PDA

View Full Version : Will Durkon die in this arc?

Crisis21
2012-03-31, 08:28 PM
So many people are speculating over Belkar's death that I wanted to throw this one out there.

Could it be that Durkon will die in this arc?

Reasons I think he might:

1) The oracle's prophecy that he will return home posthumously.
2) The dwarven lands are pretty snowed in, a trait shared with the general area around Kraagor's Gate. The Order might take Durkon's body home on their way.
3) The prophecy in On the Origin of PCs that says when next Durkon returns home he will bring Death and Destruction with him. I think Team Evil would qualify nicely.

t209
2012-03-31, 08:46 PM
So many people are speculating over Belkar's death that I wanted to throw this one out there.

Reasons I think he might:

1) The oracle's prophecy that he will return home posthumously.
2) The dwarven lands are pretty snowed in, a trait shared with the general area around Kraagor's Gate. The Order might take Durkon's body home on their way.
3) The prophecy in On the Origin of PCs that says when next Durkon returns home he will bring Death and Destruction with him. I think Team Evil would qualify nicely.

What if
The prophecy use word twist and it was actually Malack, Priest of the god of Death and Destruction, and thus bringing "Death and Destruction" to his homeland.
or what if "Post humously" is for other people than Durkon.

ti'esar
2012-04-01, 11:49 AM
I don't think it's at all out of the question that both Durkon and Belkar will die in this arc, with the latter staying dead and the former being raised at some point.

Winter
2012-04-01, 11:57 AM

I have been couting on this for a long time (for the reasons you stated).

And I agree: Belkar could die in addition, as could Vaarsuvius (who would be brought back by Durkon before he gets it).

Kalrany
2012-04-02, 11:33 AM
What if
The prophecy use word twist and it was actually Malack, Priest of the god of Death and Destruction, and thus bringing "Death and Destruction" to his homeland.
or what if "Post humously" is for other people than Durkon.

I like this. And it feels right for how The Giant treats prophesies.

Crisis21
2012-04-02, 01:44 PM
I like this. And it feels right for how The Giant treats prophesies.

I doubt it. The wording is all wrong for it to refer to anyone other than Durkon.

Remember he asked "How will I finally be returnin' ta me beloved dwarven homelands?"

"I". The answer of "posthumously" cannot, therefore, refer to anyone other than Durkon.

t209
2012-04-02, 02:31 PM
I doubt it. The wording is all wrong for it to refer to anyone other than Durkon.

Remember he asked "How will I finally be returnin' ta me beloved dwarven homelands?"

"I". The answer of "posthumously" cannot, therefore, refer to anyone other than Durkon.

Sometimes, prophet can make it even less specific by secretly ignoring "I".

Kish
2012-04-02, 02:38 PM
...If you're assuming the Oracle randomly answered a question he made up instead of answering Durkon's question, I see no reason not to jump all the way to "Durkon got the answer to 'how did Xykon first meet Roy?'"

Mr. Pants
2012-04-02, 03:14 PM
I believe Malack's going to fight Durkon himself...

Talvereaux
2012-04-02, 03:19 PM
Sometimes, prophet can make it even less specific by secretly ignoring "I".

The Oracle is insolent, however he is not a liar (at least, not when he's making his prophecies). He can be cagey, pointedly vague, and just plain not helpful in how he chooses to answer his questions, but he always answers the question honestly and to the letter of the law. Secretly rewriting Durkon's question without telling him would be a flimsy justification pulled out of nowhere for lying about his Prophecy, which is simply not how the Oracle operates.

Kalrany
2012-04-02, 03:46 PM
*Scratches head….* Errr, yeahhh…. Ummmmm…..
Actually, the prophecy I was thinking of was in the spoiler box, since it was from (I believe) the Origin's book and not the Oracle. ....I didn't even notice the posthumously line was still included in my quote box. Which has lead to some misunderstanding, it seems, to my comment.

For clarification....
... this is what I was referring to with "I like this. And it feels right for how The Giant treats prophesies."

I agree that the change of question or ignorning something is not the way the Giant Presents prophesies and/or their resolution. Using the most obscure meaning possible is, and it was that bit I was looking at.

Sorry for the confusion.

t209
2012-04-02, 03:59 PM
What if we combine Durkon's death and Malack?
Durkon died and Malack brought Durkon's corpse to his homeland, thus briging "Death and Destruction" to his homeland as in Priest for God of Death and Destruction.

martianmister
2012-04-02, 04:24 PM
It's really simple:

1. Belkar will die ("not long for this world") in the hands of Tarquin's mongolian dragon forces: Tarquin will manipulate Nale, Nale will order Sabine, Sabine will manipulate IFCC, IFCC will control V, V will control Yukyuk, Yukyuk will kill Belkar.
2. Malack will create some kind of undead from Belkar's corpse and baptise him as "Death and Destruction", (names of his killed children) and treat him as an adopted son.
3. But Malack soon understands the meaninglessness of his necromantic adoption policy: Durkon will tell him how D&D is not his real child and he shouldn't adopt him as a real son. Undeads are not real people after all. Malack will understand and leave Tarquin's party in a quest to find the woman of his dreams and his next wife.
4. In a quest for vengeance, Tarquin and D&D tracks Durkon and follow him to the secret gate of Dwarven Kingdom.
5. D&D and Tarquin will kill Durkon in the gate, and began to kill other dwarves. D&D will carry Durkon's dead body to Dwarven Lands. Soon, with help of Tarquin's forces, they will start the genocide of Dwarf Nation.