PDA

View Full Version : The Demon King (Special Monster)

Morithias
2012-03-31, 11:51 PM
As I have stated in other threads I am working on a campaign called "Quest of the Demon King" which revolves around trying to find a way to save the PC's childhood friend, a 16 year old girl from either being killed or turning into the Demon King.

I am trying to figure out what special powers to give her along her six-step process to becoming the "Demon King". I want to actually have rules and such that the PC's can reference.

So far this is what I have.

Stage One: Innocence and Purity

The Demon King's blood flows through her veins. She has the following powers.

+2 enhancement bonus to ALL ability scores, +10 speed bonus, +2 to skill checks that involve the hells, -2 to skill checks that involve the heavens, +1 resistance to all saving throws, +1 natural armor, low light vision, Regeneration 1/magic, immunity to death and mind affecting powers. She also gains 2 outsider HD.

In addition the Demon King may instantly summon any demon/devil via their true name with a truespeak check (she must be reading or know the name off by heart, she can't make up the name on the fly and hope a demon shares it). She can use a standard action to command the demon with a similar truespeak check. Regardless of circumstance no devil or demon may attack her, even if said demon is not aware of who she is.

Her mind is not altered in this state. She must may weekly will saves versus DC 15 to avoid going to the next state. She must also make a will save if she falls below 50% HP, or one of her allies is severely injured. She can avoid the weekly will save if she eats a lemon or spends time in holy ground resting. She must also make a will save anytime she summons a fiend via it's true name.

Stage Two: The taint begins.

The Blood bond with hell grows stronger. She reaches later stages via stress, repeated callings upon her dark powers, or just via long periods of time in tainted or vile areas. Spending time in holy areas, eating blessed or sacred foods, or certain special foods like lemons can reduce her taint. 7 successful diplomacy checks (see redemption BOED) can calm her down and push her back a level as well. A sanctify the wicked spell, pushes her back to stage one, but cannot remove the taint of the demon king from her bloodline, (meaning given enough time she WILL become tainted again).

Stage two has the following powers.

+4 enchantment bonus to all ability scores, +20 bonus to speed, +4/-4 on all checks involving the hells/heavens, +2 resistance bonus to all saving throws, +2 natural armor, darkvision, regeneration 2/magic and silver/cold iron (either one works), immunity to death and mind affecting powers. She also gains 2 outsider HD (in addition to the ones she already has)

In addition she may now command up to two demons/devils she summons with a standard action, as if she were a 9th level fiendbinder. She still must have called them via their truenames. She still does not possess the power to command demons/devils she does not know the truenames of (although they still can't attack her).

She is slightly tainted in this state. Despite being good-aligned she acts more Neutral with good tendencies, she sees no trouble with looting dead bodies or killing enemies, where before she reacted to death as any Healer would. Her will saves are to resist taint are now versus DC 20. Things like diplomacy checks, lemons, and holy ground require a DC 25 will save to go back. (I.e If she spend eats a lemon she gets a DC 25 will save to go back a level). She cannot use the same technique to go back a level more than once a week.

Stage Three: Half-way there

The taint is getting worse, and she is beginning to be corrupted by the Demon King's blood. From now on she is treated as "evil" aligned for any spell, ability or special attack that affects evil creatures. However due to her aura being so powerful, effects that harm good-aligned creatures do not work on her anymore (smite evil will succeed for example, while smite good will fail, even though she is a good-aligned creature).

+6 enchantment bonus to all ability scores, +30 bonus to speed, +6/-6 skill bonus, +3 resistance to saving throws, +3 to natural armor, Regeneration 5/Magic and silver/cold iron, immunity to death and mind affecting powers. She also gains 2 outsider HD (in addition to the ones she already has)

In addition she no longer needs to make truespeak checks to command the fiend she summons. After summoning a fiend via a truespeak check, she may simply order it around as if was under a dominate monster spell. She still cannot command fiends she has not summoned (although they cannot attack her).

Will saves to advance, DC 25. Will saves to go back DC 30. The taint is corrupting her mind. She now acts True Neutral, looking out for her own well being and having no sense of protection towards opponents and civilians.

Stage Four: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET ME SOME LEMONS.

The taint is getting worse, and her powers are nearly fully awakened. The PCs must hurry and remove some taint from her, or the whole world is doomed. Her aura is so tainted it can be seen without a detect evil spell. In addition any good-aligned magic cast upon her must make a DC 25 caster level check or fail.

+8 enhancement bonus to all ability scores, +40 speed bonus, +8/-8 skill checks, +4 resistance saving throw, +4 natural armor, Regeneration 1/Good, immunity to death and mind affecting powers. She also gains 2 outsider HD (in addition to the ones she already has)

The voice of evil is not only in her head, but also in her bloodstream. A creature that drinks her blood must make a DC 20 + Constitution mod fortitude save, or gain the unholy scion template (without the commanding the mother power) instead it is bonded to the Demon King, and is treated as a fiend for the Demon's kings command ability.

Will saves to advance, DC 30. Will saves to go back DC 35. She now acts like an neutral person with evil tendencies. Willing to steal, kill, and harm others to aid in her mission. She has not quite lost her will to resist the Demon King and still seeks to aid it, but in her bloodlust she has basically lost the line between "aggressive negotiator" and "killed cause the person had something I want"

Step 5: We're Doomed...DOOMED

She is tainted beyond belief. If the PCs do not reverse it soon, they will either have to kill her (not easy with all her bonuses), or the world will end.

+10 enchantment bonus to all ability scores, +10/-10 to skill checks, +5 resistance to saving throws, +5 Natural armor, Regeneration 5/Good and (Silver or Cold iron), immunity to death and mind affecting powers. She also gains 2 outsider HD (in addition to the ones she already has)

She can now command any fiend as if it was under a dominate monster spell. This includes the PC's if they have been tainted by her bloodstream. She does not need a common language to command a creature, she can command a fiendish dire shark, just as easily as a Balor.

Will saves to advance, DC 35. Will saves to go back DC 40. Is pure evil now, must be restrained and held back to avoid murdering opponents. Is tempted by the dark side, and will willingly offer the PC's her blood in order to corrupt them to her side.

Step 6: Game Over

The Campaign is over. The Demon King has awoken. The Demon King can now summon a fiend as a standard action simply by stating it's type. For example she can simply say "Pit Fiend" to summon a Pit Fiend. In addition Diplomacy checks, and lemons will no longer work on her. Nothing short of a sanctify the wicked spell can reverse her taint, and even that will now only set her back one step instead of all the way. She also gained the Demon Lord template as described in the following link: http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=79

Cannot advance, and cannot go back. You need either a sanctify the wicked spell, epic magic, or someone's true love (yes it's cliche but I like it) to make her go back. Lemons and diplomacy checks no longer work. She has embraced her dark destiny, and seeks to unite the demons and devils under her rule to conquer the multiverse.

Any comments and help is greatly appreciated!

Varil
2012-04-01, 02:16 AM
Maybe use 'good' instead of the somewhat ambiguous 'holy' in her regeneration? Or are you referring specifically to the Holy enchantment(which makes a weapon count as good for the purposes of overcoming DR).

Does this girl have any class levels? It sounds like she's supposed to be mostly harmless, aside from the whole "RAR DEMON" bit. If not, maybe give her a few Outsider hitdie as she advances in taint? Otherwise all her stat bonuses are going to be more-or-less cosmetic, as she'll have like 1d4+5 hp at stage 5(when the bonus will probably give her around 20 con).

You don't describe any personality changes as she advances, either. Having her need to make scaling will saves to maintain her self-control would make sense. Not constantly, but maybe any time she sees blood or gets stressed or hurt.

Calanon
2012-04-01, 02:33 AM
I like your template... how about finishing it up with this?

Kill them with this (http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=79) :smallamused:

Morithias
2012-04-01, 02:36 AM
(1) Maybe use 'good' instead of the somewhat ambiguous 'holy' in her regeneration? Or are you referring specifically to the Holy enchantment(which makes a weapon count as good for the purposes of overcoming DR).

(2) Does this girl have any class levels? It sounds like she's supposed to be mostly harmless, aside from the whole "RAR DEMON" bit. If not, maybe give her a few Outsider hitdie as she advances in taint? Otherwise all her stat bonuses are going to be more-or-less cosmetic, as she'll have like 1d4+5 hp at stage 5(when the bonus will probably give her around 20 con).

(3) You don't describe any personality changes as she advances, either. Having her need to make scaling will saves to maintain her self-control would make sense. Not constantly, but maybe any time she sees blood or gets stressed or hurt.

(1) I will make the alteration. What the regeneration was meant to mean was that you basically need a holy avenger or similar weapon to break her regeneration. No using a +5 flaming burst greathammer to do so.

(2) She will have levels in healer, with max ranks in truespeak. I will take your outsider HD idea to help the idea. Thank you very much.

(3) I'm mostly going to be playing it by ear, but mostly from taint to taint she does become more evil, but ultimately stays under the PC's control due to their close friendship. For example she'll stop suggesting that they spare the paladins who attack them, and instead suggest they murder them. I will put these details in.

I like your template... how about finishing it up with this?

Kill them with this (http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=79) :smallamused:

Holy crap. That is useful. I will certainly consider it. I mostly just stole ideas from the Ravenloft Darklords. That makes a great idea if she does go rogue, in case they still want to try and stop her.

Thanks for all your help!

Calanon
2012-04-01, 02:40 AM
Holy crap. That is useful. I will certainly consider it. I mostly just stole ideas from the Ravenloft Darklords. That makes a great idea if she does go rogue, in case they still want to try and stop her.

Thanks for all your help!

Ahh... Dicefreaks... is there nothing you cannot accomplish? :smallbiggrin:

Morithias
2012-04-01, 02:55 AM
Ahh... Dicefreaks... is there nothing you cannot accomplish? :smallbiggrin:

Note to self. Bookmark this site.

Also edits have been made, any more comments will be appreciated, but this looks very good so far! I think my players will enjoy this.

Calanon
2012-04-01, 04:28 AM
Note to self. Bookmark this site.

Also edits have been made, any more comments will be appreciated, but this looks very good so far! I think my players will enjoy this.

Don't even bother, they don't update to often... Pretty dead forum unfortunately...

Varil
2012-04-01, 05:16 AM
One more thing occurs to me as I reread the list...her will save is probably going to be pretty good. Outsider HD is going to be a pretty good boost to her saves, and she gets another bonus from the taint, and even more from the stat boosts. She'll have +5 to all saves at rank 1 taint, and +18(!) at rank 5. Plus I bet she has decent wisdom as a Healer, and Healer has a strong will save, so I'd peg her 1st rank will at ~+9 and her rank 5 at ~+22.

It's not super important, but I thought I should point it out, in case it affects your DCs any. DC 35 sounds scary, but she'll actually make that a little more than 1/3 of the time, and the DC 30 more than half the time. Better odds if her wisdom is more than 14, or her Healer level is higher than 1.

If the PCs pitch in and buy her a Cloak of Resistance or something, these odds look even better, though they can't improve her stats with items since those are enhancement bonuses. Of course, the easy solution to that is to declare the save bonus a resistance bonus as well, but it might be nice to leave the players a way to improve the odds with a little foresight.

Anyway, the players probably won't know the DCs anyway I assume(don't know how transparent you plan to be with the straight mechanics) which leaves you room to work, but make sure you factor in just how awesome her saves are going to be when you decide on the DCs.

Morithias
2012-04-01, 01:53 PM
Snip

I will keep this in mind while I recalculate the save DC's. I will also make the save bonus resistance.

Main problem with making the saves too high is I don't want the campaign to end in 6 weeks after she she rolled straight 13's or something like that. It needs to be threatening enough to always be a possibility of failure, but not so high that there's no possible way for her to fail it. I'll do some math and get back to you.

Edit: Okay did some calculations, the campaign starts with both the PC's and the Demon King as level 6 characters. So her starting will save will be, +5 (healer), +3 (17 wisdom), +1 (resistance), +3 (outsider HD). For a save of 11. Which means I should probably make the will saves to fall a level 15, and the will saves to go back a 20. Then I'll increase by 5 each taint level, cause it becomes much harder to raise saves at such a rate in 3.5 which will make it more desperate for them to get her to holy ground or to start force feeding her lemons. The edit has been made, all saves DC's were raised by 5.