PDA

View Full Version : toonami!

thubby
2012-03-31, 11:59 PM
probably an april fools thing, but it's on cartoon network right now. and it's showing the classics *squee*

Soras Teva Gee
2012-04-01, 12:15 AM
Awesome head's up, I'll never miss a chance to nab some classic anime, and this makes an already great April Fools all the better.

(So actual admission that CN has been junk since Toonami left the air?)

Dragonus45
2012-04-01, 12:17 AM
O god this had better not be a joke, i know it has to be. I know it must but i fear it is so. Its so cruel to taunt us and im O HOLY !@#$ ITS GUNDAM WING BYE NOW

Ganurath
2012-04-01, 12:20 AM
You already missed Tom doing a ME3 review, and the end of Gohan's fight with Cell. I'm hoping they're using this to test the waters for a full revival.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-01, 12:26 AM
I hope they show some Yu Yu Hakusho! Get some Dark Tournament action!

Soras Teva Gee
2012-04-01, 12:27 AM
Someone's obviously put together a docket of awesome episodes regardless. I totally support a full revival of classic Tom.

(Cripes is it wrong that even with dubious logic on the lines in Gundam Wing are so wonderfully voiced it becomes Audio Erotica)

OH yeah Space Bump.

Ganurath
2012-04-01, 12:28 AM
Don't Fear Failure is on. Hoping to see Mad Rhetoric tonight.

Coming Up: Tenshi Muyo
And Then: Outlaw Star

Dragonus45
2012-04-01, 12:32 AM
You already missed Tom doing a ME3 review, and the end of Gohan's fight with Cell. I'm hoping they're using this to test the waters for a full revival.

No thats what me my brother his wife and a buddy of ours came in on. But does anyone think the outlaw star episode might wind up being that hot springs episode that never got shown in the states. I know they had English voicing for it i think.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-04-01, 12:34 AM
Holy Crap guys this Tenchi is one that wasn't in the original run and only released many years later.

Jeraa
2012-04-01, 12:37 AM

If they were thinking of bringing Toonami back, and this was a test night to see how well it would do, wouldn't they of advertised it beforehand? People won't tune in to watch something if they have no clue it would be on beforehand.

Seraph
2012-04-01, 12:39 AM
No thats what me my brother his wife and a buddy of ours came in on. But does anyone think the outlaw star episode might wind up being that hot springs episode that never got shown in the states. I know they had English voicing for it i think.

that would be the perfect cap on it all, and that episode was hilarious as well.

Dragonus45
2012-04-01, 12:40 AM
Perhaps they wanted to test the speed of the word of mouth. Can someone explain where this episode was. Were all really confused.

The Tygre
2012-04-01, 12:46 AM
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS

God's in his heaven, and all is right with the world.

thubby
2012-04-01, 12:47 AM

i really hope not, that episode was a colossal waste of animation.

starwoof
2012-04-01, 12:51 AM
I am so jealous of you people with televisions. The chatroom at Toonami Aftermath is EXPLODING with excitement. Related: http://www.toonamiaftermath.com/

TheSummoner
2012-04-01, 12:52 AM
I'm having a hard time not crying tears of joy at this.

I switched over when Fullmetal Alchemist came on. Only it wasn't Fullmetal Alchemist. It was Dragonball Z. Not Kai, Z. This is all of my best childhood memories flooding back to me.

I really hope this is going to be a full revival. Even if it isn't though, I'm incredibly happy that they put it on even if only for a day.

I mean... The Mass Effect 3 thing shows that even if the shows they're playing are old, the bumps are new. They put some work into this... Maybe it's a sign of a possible full revival? Maybe? Please?

turkishproverb
2012-04-01, 12:55 AM
I thought you guys were making it up! TENCHI IS ON! :smallsmile:

On second thought.

:smile:

Dragonus45
2012-04-01, 01:05 AM
Ok so no one in the house has even the slightest idea whats going on. We keep remembering things from other series and its messing with us. What just happened?

Kindablue
2012-04-01, 01:05 AM
Very cool. Thanks for the heads-up.

turkishproverb
2012-04-01, 01:12 AM
Outlaw Star!

Ganurath
2012-04-01, 01:25 AM
Currently: Outlaw Star!
Next: Big O!
And Then: Yu Yu Hakusho!

Ah, if every night could be as such, with fond memories of youth and pleasant surprises.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-04-01, 01:46 AM
Let's Go Big O!

turkishproverb
2012-04-01, 01:47 AM
Let's Go Big O!

Tom giving Roger Smith's intro lines. So Meta.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-04-01, 02:14 AM
Well if you want a show for meta references into the nature of performance of a show...

Anyways this is all a feeling a little elaborate for merely a nostalgia trip. They've got some original audio and all, maybe Steve Blum did it for cheap? And so help me that Tenchi episode never aired originally being made a fair bit later.

TheSummoner
2012-04-01, 02:18 AM
I don't recall this episode of Yu Yu Hakusho airing during the original run either. I don't think they got much further than the Dark Tournament back then...

Edit: Yep. I'm still awake. I shouldn't be, but I decided the moment I saw Toonami that I wouldn't be getting much sleep tonight.

I saw another toonami bump talking about next week's episode of Bleach. Now... I couldn't give two craps about Bleach, but the fact that it was a TOONAMI thing for it just gives me more hope that they're bring it back...

...please?

Togath
2012-04-01, 05:34 AM
While they probably wouldn't cancel bleach(both because it's fairly popular in the U.S., and because[at least as far as I know] they’re the only people airing the english dub. On the other hand, the final[or at least it was labeled as "final episode" on the anime site I noticed it on] episode of the anime for it came out in japan a few weeks ago, I think it was episode 356 or something, so their probably aren't that many more episodes to dub) but if the re-airing of some of the toonami stuff ends up being popular enough I could imagine them continuing to air some of the toonami stuff.

Devonix
2012-04-01, 06:32 AM
Wow just wow

TheSummoner
2012-04-01, 09:17 AM
While they probably wouldn't cancel bleach(both because it's fairly popular in the U.S., and because[at least as far as I know] they’re the only people airing the english dub. On the other hand, the final[or at least it was labeled as "final episode" on the anime site I noticed it on] episode of the anime for it came out in japan a few weeks ago, I think it was episode 356 or something, so their probably aren't that many more episodes to dub) but if the re-airing of some of the toonami stuff ends up being popular enough I could imagine them continuing to air some of the toonami stuff.

Who said anything about cancelling Bleach. I said that I saw an ad for next week's new episode of it, but it was a TOONAMI ad instead of an ADULT SWIM ad. That makes me want to believe that next week the new episode will air, but it will be on toonami instead of adult swim. That they'd bring back toonami for Saturday nights.

And really, if they move the non-anime to other days and cut the crap shows (the stupid live action stuff), they've got plenty of room to play some classic anime again. I can't imagine the feedback from last night being anything other than overwhelmingly positive, so it would be a good move for them as well.

Lord Seth
2012-04-01, 10:39 AM
I don't recall this episode of Yu Yu Hakusho airing during the original run either. I don't think they got much further than the Dark Tournament back then...No, they aired the entire series. It's just that midway through the Sensui arc they moved it to a graveyard Saturday morning slot without really advertising it (or at least no advertising that I saw, I only found out it was at that time by accident). Can't remember when it was on, but it was a ridiculous time like 3AM or something.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-01, 11:28 AM
So I went to bed around 2 last night. I know I missed Outlaw Star and Big O. What else didn't I see? Don't tell me they played an episode of Yu Yu Hakusho, and I didn't see it.

thubby
2012-04-01, 12:18 PM
So I went to bed around 2 last night. I know I missed Outlaw Star and Big O. What else didn't I see? Don't tell me they played an episode of Yu Yu Hakusho, and I didn't see it.

they did, and it was awesome.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-04-01, 12:23 PM
I gave up about halfway through Blue Sub No.6

What an awesome night. I'm probably going to be tracking down all these shows now to watch them again.

Jayngfet
2012-04-01, 12:30 PM

Oh they totally did. You also missed Blue Sub no. 6 and Trigun.

As is traditional, we capped the night off with Astro Boy and Gigantor.

...I have never been so happy in my life. This entire exact thing more or less both defined my childhood and inspired my adulthood. It literally stopped me right in the middle of final prep work for my application to an animation school that literally nothing else could have ever.

Four spots in twitters top 10 trends, tens of thousands of facebook likes to one status, over 60k views to the payachi stream and almost four thousand continual viewers at one time. This is big.

Considering this was completely unannounced and misleading until the last possible second and then it exploded to such a degree, there is no way even Stuart Snyder can ignore it, no matter how much he wants to. This probably doubled the ratings from his Hall of Game at the very least and was such a phenomenon they'll be talking about it for years to come, even if only talking about how CN is ignoring how that one block they clearly poisoned and killed beat out every show they've tried to build up in it's place.

What an awesome night. I'm probably going to be tracking down all these shows now to watch them again.

In case you didn't notice EVERY one of those shows just got a new DVD release that was advertised and they showed you where to buy them. That'll probably be the real test. A buisnessman won't do something that makes no money, and this is probably his main expectation as to how.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-04-01, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE]Considering this was completely unannounced and misleading until the last possible second and then it exploded to such a degree, there is no way even Stuart Snyder can ignore it, no matter how much he wants to. This probably doubled the ratings from his Hall of Game at the very least and was such a phenomenon they'll be talking about it for years to come, even if only talking about how CN is ignoring how that one block they clearly poisoned and killed beat out every show they've tried to build up in it's place.

It occurs to me, didn't they finally can Toonami for good not too far from when they tried that CN Real **** block, it really did mark a total decline. Or am I just shortening the last like 4 years too much? I was just glad I got to see that finale I nearly missed it at the time.

In case you didn't notice EVERY one of those shows just got a new DVD release that was advertised and they showed you where to buy them. That'll probably be the real test. A buisnessman won't do something that makes no money, and this is probably his main expectation as to how.

Oh I think that's how they played Steve Blum to give new voice acting. My fave was Outlaw Star's lampshading the censorship. Of course I already have that one on DVD but Big O and Gundam Wing if reasonably priced I shall look for. The latter I haven't seen since era when box sets ran you over a $100 bucks.

Jayngfet
2012-04-01, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=Jayngfet;12994101]

It occurs to me, didn't they finally can Toonami for good not too far from when they tried that CN Real **** block, it really did mark a total decline. Or am I just shortening the last like 4 years too much? I was just glad I got to see that finale I nearly missed it at the time.

You've basically got the right of it. Snyder and the CN execs pretty much forced the change to TOM 4.0(The original 3 were planned from the beginning), refused to lisence as much anime as before, slashed hours and moved everything around, and then pulled the plug after a while of this. They replaced it with You Are Here, a blatant rebranding that got rid of everything except one song that hadn't played in years. Then that failed eventually.

After that live action kept getting pushed harder and harder, despite the phenominal resistance.

Seriously, has anyone else seen the screencaps from the audience at this years Hall of Game? Literally there were shots where not a single audience member so much as smirked. One girl was outright crying in the middle of it!

Pokonic
2012-04-01, 01:33 PM
Oh god how did I miss this.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-04-01, 01:40 PM
Seriously, has anyone else seen the screencaps from the audience at this years Hall of Game? Literally there were shots where not a single audience member so much as smirked. One girl was outright crying in the middle of it!

Wait you watched that? What was it about I was never quite sure? On second thought if you don't answer that's fine too. And I need a seriously a legit reason to turn on CN these days, currently DC Nation is all that qualifies.

I would have figured they went around offering suckers $20 to fill seats or something.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-01, 02:57 PM

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't tell me it was an episode from the Dark Tournament or Maze Castle story arcs.:smallfrown:

The Tygre
2012-04-01, 03:05 PM
Very well, I won't.

But it was.

And it was GLORIOUS.

Best. April Fool's. Ever.

Seraph
2012-04-01, 03:23 PM
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't tell me it was an episode from the Dark Tournament or Maze Castle story arcs.:smallfrown:

it was the demon world tournament, yusuke vs. yomi.

Lord Seth
2012-04-01, 03:35 PM
This probably doubled the ratings from his Hall of Game at the very leastEven if this speculation is true, it's an irrelevant comparison. Adult Swim and Cartoon Network go for different demographics.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-01, 03:48 PM
it was the demon world tournament, yusuke vs. yomi.

Meh, The Three Kings Saga wasn't one of my favorite story arcs. The tournament at the end of it was good though. I mostly liked that story arc for the episodes that explored Hiei and his backstory. At least I didn't miss the Four Saint Beasts or Toguro Brothers.

Jayngfet
2012-04-01, 04:42 PM
Wait you watched that? What was it about I was never quite sure? On second thought if you don't answer that's fine too. And I need a seriously a legit reason to turn on CN these days, currently DC Nation is all that qualifies.

I would have figured they went around offering suckers $20 to fill seats or something.

I didn't watch it directly, didn't have the time. I caught video clips and screenshots and looked at the ratings numbers.

It's apparently about sports awards. With titles like "gnarliest newb" and the like for each award. Shaq hosted it in a Finn costume and they paid off the iCarly stars and some famous video game devs to show up and look bored.

They tried to spin it as this great sucess, but I went back after and compared it's ratings to an average Toonami night from about 2004-2006. Until the Justice League died they were roughly even.

Considering the advertising budget, that means Toonami probably won by a wide margin. On a weekly basis. For about four years.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-01, 05:10 PM
And I need a seriously a legit reason to turn on CN these days, currently DC Nation is all that qualifies.

I can think of a reason. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHjg6cTxmrQ) What time is it?

Lord Seth
2012-04-01, 05:15 PM
They tried to spin it as this great sucess, but I went back after and compared it's ratings to an average Toonami night from about 2004-2006.Hrm, where'd you find that? I've been wondering where I could find ratings from back then.
Until the Justice League died they were roughly even.

Considering the advertising budget, that means Toonami probably won by a wide margin. On a weekly basis. For about four years.Not necessarily a great comparison due to the years between them. Trying to compare absolute ratings that are more than one year apart tends to be dangerous due to differing standards. This is more true for broadcast than cable, but I think it's something worth considering even for cable.

Though I still would be interested in seeing the source for these ratings so I can see them more precisely.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-04-01, 05:28 PM
I can think of a reason. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHjg6cTxmrQ) What time is it?

Nope, I don't mind Adventure Time and even enjoy it but I've precisely zero desire to seek it out either.

Hrm, where'd you find that? I've been wondering where I could find ratings from back then.Not necessarily a great comparison due to the years between them. Trying to compare absolute ratings that are more than one year apart tends to be dangerous due to differing standards. This is more true for broadcast than cable, but I think it's something worth considering even for cable.

Though I still would be interested in seeing the source for these ratings so I can see them more precisely.

I'd also be interested in the source of this info.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-01, 06:18 PM
Nope, I don't mind Adventure Time and even enjoy it but I've precisely zero desire to seek it out either.

But it's awesome.

Tanuki Tales
2012-04-01, 06:48 PM
Nevermind, fixed it.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-04-01, 08:05 PM
But it's awesome.

Yes but its just not quite... sane... enough for my tastes.

Also a touch of that sort of primitive gross out factor I've always loathed, not enough to really ruin things but enough that its not a show that does more then amuse me with some of it gags.

thubby
2012-04-01, 08:28 PM
Yes but its just not quite... sane... enough for my tastes.

says the peppermint colored unicorn. :smalltongue:

Soras Teva Gee
2012-04-01, 09:24 PM
says the peppermint colored unicorn. :smalltongue:

Well yeah I mean "Finn the Human" I'm not one for Lyra's crazy theories about Ancient Humans.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-01, 09:37 PM
I'm tempted to now find and download the Toonami promos and whenever I watch anime I own I'll play the promos in between anime episodes.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-04-01, 09:40 PM
I'm hoping they're using this to test the waters for a full revival.

I would think so. This is too much work for something they're just doing as a one time joke.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-01, 09:52 PM
I would think so. This is too much work for something they're just doing as a one time joke.

We can't say for certain. I'd be more than happy for a comeback, but it's hard to say. This wouldn't be too much for a one time thing.

Lord Seth
2012-04-01, 09:56 PM
I would think so. This is too much work for something they're just doing as a one time joke.Was there really that much work involved, though? The Tom footage was mostly if not entirely recycled (easy to do when he has no mouth). In terms of work, I don't think it really entailed more than coming up with a few things for Tom to say, having Steve Blum record his lines, and putting together the Mass Effect 3 review.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-03, 12:36 PM
Apparently there's a Twitter page asking the fans if they want it back (http://twitter.com/#!/adultswim/status/187004036824834049). You know what you must do.

Jayngfet
2012-04-03, 05:18 PM
Hrm, where'd you find that? I've been wondering where I could find ratings from back then.Not necessarily a great comparison due to the years between them. Trying to compare absolute ratings that are more than one year apart tends to be dangerous due to differing standards. This is more true for broadcast than cable, but I think it's something worth considering even for cable.

The Toonzone forums are usually good about this sort of thing. They take ratings from press releases and usually have them up within a day or two and they'll tend to stay up for a looooong time. A few minutes searching will probably reveal additional sources.

CN released an article on it's ratings from the Hall of Game. If you click around you can find it quickly.

Lord Seth
2012-04-04, 02:22 AM
The Toonzone forums are usually good about this sort of thing. They take ratings from press releases and usually have them up within a day or two and they'll tend to stay up for a looooong time. A few minutes searching will probably reveal additional sources.

CN released an article on it's ratings from the Hall of Game. If you click around you can find it quickly.I already know of the ratings of the Hall of Game. However, looking at the Toonami ratings...I'm confused as to how you could claim that they were "roughly even", considering that Hall of Game had noticeably higher ratings than the Toonami ratings I saw.

irenicObserver
2012-04-07, 02:26 PM

Man, I missed Blue Sub...

Jayngfet
2012-04-07, 05:32 PM
I already know of the ratings of the Hall of Game. However, looking at the Toonami ratings...I'm confused as to how you could claim that they were "roughly even", considering that Hall of Game had noticeably higher ratings than the Toonami ratings I saw.

Would you mind posting the ratings you found? I mean there was a slight bump in HoG's favor, but it wasn't all that noticible compared to the nights I was looking at.