PDA

View Full Version : What System Should I Use?

Edog
2012-04-01, 06:33 AM
First of all, if anyone from my DND group is reading this--that means you, S N, J W, D M, and N...don'tknowyourlastname--stop right now. This thread has spoilers for the campaign. I'd really hate to ruin the surprise.

With that out of the way...
I've decided to run a Touhou game for my next campaign. Obviously--for those of you who've played the game, at least--DND 3.5 really wouldn't work for it, and it's the only system I've ever used. There isn't a working system designed for it, so I'm going to have to make my own. By which I mean I'm going to pull an existing one apart, and stitch it back together for my purposes.

The problem is, I don't really know where to start. I have no idea which system to use, so that brings me here. Please, fellow playgrounders, any suggestions on a system I could get to work for me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Also, if this thread would be better off in a different forum--Roleplaying General, maybe, or Homebrew--move it there instead. I didn't think it really fitted there, but I'm not sure.

Aidan305
2012-04-01, 06:43 AM
FATE (The system used in Dresden Files and Spirit of the Century) is a good one, simple to learn and simple to play, based as much around narrative circumstance as rolling dice.

Edog
2012-04-01, 07:15 AM
FATE (The system used in Dresden Files and Spirit of the Century) is a good one, simple to learn and simple to play, based as much around narrative circumstance as rolling dice.

Thanks! Nice to get a response so quickly :smallsmile:

I'll look into it. Although I'm not familiar with either of those examples...Still, that sounds like exactly what I need.

DeadManSleeping
2012-04-01, 08:31 AM
1. This should be moved to Roleplaying Games general (you can report your own post to have it moved)

2. Big Eyes Small Mouth is a generic anime-style RPG, which is capable of mimicking nearly any popular media thing that has come out of Japan to a certain extent, as well as many non-Japanese things. If you can get past the aggressively mediocre artwork of the book, you should find it to your liking.

3. If you don't, Strands of Fate is a generic FATE system, which is very much capable of modeling anime/JVG stuff.

Edog
2012-04-01, 08:39 AM
1. This should be moved to Roleplaying Games general (you can report your own post to have it moved)

2. Big Eyes Small Mouth is a generic anime-style RPG, which is capable of mimicking nearly any popular media thing that has come out of Japan to a certain extent, as well as many non-Japanese things. If you can get past the aggressively mediocre artwork of the book, you should find it to your liking.

3. If you don't, Strands of Fate is a generic FATE system, which is very much capable of modeling anime/JVG stuff.

Thanks. I've just started reading FATE, and I really like the look of it. I'll take a look at your suggestion too, though--maybe it provides for some of the crazy stuff FATE just won't cover.

And I'll report this to get it moved. Thanks.

Hehehe... "Big Eyes Small Mouth." That title made me laugh.

SMEE
2012-04-01, 08:43 AM
This fits better at Roleplaying games.
Thread moved.