PDA

View Full Version : Using helm of brilliance as a nuclearbomb

unundindur
2012-04-01, 09:58 AM
Am I reading Helm of Brilliance right.

Can I send a skeleton equipped with a Helm of brilliance at my enemy, then target the helm with a scorching ray and have the skeleton fail its will save on purpose, setting of the helm?

The effect would be pretty retarded even for 125.000gp

Prismatic spray*10, 20 walls of fire and 300d6 fire damage (save for half) fireball...

This have got to have applications :smalltongue:

Panda24
2012-04-01, 10:23 AM
Well, it requires the user to speak a command word, so you need a talking minion, and the helm does damage to any undead nearby, so maybe not a skeleton?
And you have to get through the fire resistance 30.

I would love to see someone roll 300d6 of damage.:smallbiggrin:
http://www.widedesktopwallpapers.net/misc/images/atomic_explosion.jpg

ericgrau
2012-04-01, 10:25 AM
An old similar trick is fire immunity + necklace of fireballs + fireball self and intentionally fail save. Though I like the helm better for the pretty colors.

unundindur
2012-04-01, 10:46 AM
Well, it requires the user to speak a command word, so you need a talking minion, and the helm does damage to any undead nearby, so maybe not a skeleton?
And you have to get through the fire resistance 30.

I would love to see someone roll 300d6 of damage.:smallbiggrin:
http://www.widedesktopwallpapers.net/misc/images/atomic_explosion.jpg

From the SRD: "If a creature wearing the helm is damaged by magical fire (after the fire protection is taken into account) and fails an additional DC 15 Will save, the remaining gems on the helm overload and detonate. Remaining diamonds become prismatic sprays that each randomly target a creature within range (possibly the wearer), rubies become straight-line walls of fire extending outward in a random direction from the helm wearer, and fire opals become fireballs centered on the helm wearer. The opals and the helm itself are destroyed."

The skeleton has to do nothing as far as I can see, and everyone takes damage, and only my useless skeleton gets fire-resistance (even that is debatable, since the helm ceases to exist when it goes of). :smallsmile:

Panda24
2012-04-01, 11:17 AM
I was just thinking of the part under activated properties:
"It emanates a bluish light when undead are within 30 feet. This light causes 1d6 points of damage per round to all such creatures within that range."
But I guess if it's never activated then it's fine.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-04-01, 11:31 AM
A 20 foot radius super explosion is more like a tatical nuke than a regular nuke. What you want is an army of such skeletons each wearing a Helm of Brilliance (preferably hand crafted) spaced the furthest distance from the next skeleton to still be in that skeleton's AoE to trigger that skeletons Helm. That means that any given square is gets 600d6 fire damage, more if you space them closer. With this setup (using mass Invisibility to get into position) you can start a chain reaction to turn a small city into slag. Though a spawning undead would be smarter as you can replenish your supply of undead cheaply while you gather more xp and gold to make another batch of helms.

SetArk
2012-04-01, 11:52 AM
Well.. I dont remember exatly but.. I think there's an way to put an spell inert on the skel... I dont remember if its an metamagic of contigence or i dkn.. But u could make something like an "Fireburst" spell inverted(that affects only the skel and the helm) with the max metamagic and just program it to active when all the other skels got on position..

Draco Ignifer
2012-04-01, 11:52 AM
It'd take somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 helms to blanket a city even a mile in diameter with these bombs. At 125,000 gold per helm, you're looking at over 6 BILLION gold in purchase price, or 3 billion and 250 million XP to make them yourself. Admittedly, that doesn't consider the damage the prismatic sprays and walls of fire are going to do, so you could spread it out some. Even if you only put one every 120 feet (60' range for prismatic sprays), though, it's going to be over 5,000 helms, for over 600 million gold or 300 million and 25 million XP. If you've got that kind of capital lying around, I think you can probably come up with significantly more cost-effective ways of obliterating a city. Like advancing to level 223 and legitimately casting Verdegris Tsunami a couple dozen times.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-04-01, 12:16 PM
It'd take somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 helms to blanket a city even a mile in diameter with these bombs. At 125,000 gold per helm, you're looking at over 6 BILLION gold in purchase price, or 3 billion and 250 million XP to make them yourself. Admittedly, that doesn't consider the damage the prismatic sprays and walls of fire are going to do, so you could spread it out some. Even if you only put one every 120 feet (60' range for prismatic sprays), though, it's going to be over 5,000 helms, for over 600 million gold or 300 million and 25 million XP. If you've got that kind of capital lying around, I think you can probably come up with significantly more cost-effective ways of obliterating a city. Like advancing to level 223 and legitimately casting Verdegris Tsunami a couple dozen times.

Screw the rules! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GC_ylRHtZs)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll go to the corner now.

SetArk
2012-04-01, 12:17 PM
Well what Draco said is true... If u have the money to build that.. Its more likely to spend it making an doomsday weapon!
Or preparing a badass ritual<discussing with DM> with tons of havoc and cataclysmic effects controlled by yah...
And even if ur DM is crazy enogh to give the players an reaward of tons of gold worth in helms, its more useful to sell then and use the gold for something bigger xD

navar100
2012-04-01, 12:44 PM
In another country a spellcaster is trying to gain levels fast enough to learn the feats to cast a Locate City nuke.

This sounds like an interesting Cold War soon to become Hot between two nations campaign the party find itself in the middle meant to stop.

ericgrau
2012-04-01, 01:49 PM
It could become a scry + teleportation circle ICBM. Bonus points if your foe has anticipate teleport and tries to surround the incoming skeleton.

Aharon
2012-04-01, 02:24 PM
While dealing far less damage, both Earthquake and Shadow-Apocalypse from the Sky are cheaper. I also like boulders dropped from great height above your intended target through teleport object.

OracleofSilence
2012-04-01, 02:36 PM
Falling damage caps (max 20d6 falling, 20d6 weight).

But anyway, it seems like using portable holes and bags of holding is cheaper. and the Anti Obdurium bomb is cheaper still.

This has rainbow though. I guess its all a matter of style.

Answerer
2012-04-01, 02:49 PM
Falling damage caps (max 20d6 falling, 20d6 weight).
The damage that a falling object can take for hitting the ground caps.

The damage that a falling object does to whatever it lands on, however, does not.

OracleofSilence
2012-04-01, 02:52 PM
Huh. Never say that part. Well that makes some spells even worse then i had remembered...