PDA

View Full Version : Insanity in its most lawful form [3.5, PEACH]

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-01, 11:02 AM
When I see the Xenotheurgist and Ozodrin I see two awesome classes, but they lean toward chaos, there is nothing wrong with this, and it’s only natural sense the far realms are fairly synonymous with chaos. What I wish to accomplish in this thread is the lawful side of things. To have law is to have rules and structure, but this can also drive people insane, for example with OCD you create rules for yourself to fallow even when they serve no purpose. This is just the beginning of a few homebrews I am thinking of making on this topic so there will be more than this, but possibly in different threads if this one dies.

The following three class variants are roleplayed much like they would be normally, except they are more paranoid and always trying to make arbitrary rules regarding things that don't concern them.

OCC (Obsessive-compulsive Clergyman)
The OCC is a variant cleric, the class is as normal except as follows.
Requirements: Must be Lawful. You must abide a code of honor similar to a paladin however it is stricter. No part of your code can be contradictory and your code must include all that witch your deity commands, but you must come up with 3d2 more rules from the following list and reroll anything that does not fit the characters deity.
• You must not lie or cheat.
• You must not speak loudly or run.
• You must not cast spells or turn undead on a particular day of the week or during certain hours of the day.
• You must 1d4 times per day perform a short inexpensive ritual that looks suspicious or is socially awkward.
• You must 1d3 times per week perform a ritual that involves the sacrifice of a masterwork item.
• You must 1d2 times per month perform a long ritual that involves the sacrifice of a member of your race.
• You must perform several different minor tasks that a person with OCD person might do.
• Your DM may decide something.
If you ever break this code you lose all class abilities and can no longer progress in the cleric class until you receive the atonement spell and perform an abnormally task hard task to repent and from then on add 1d3 more laws to your code of honer.
Skills: On the clerics lit of class skills replace diplomacy with bluff or intimidate your choice.
Class Features
Obsesser: You believe that the commandments set forth by your god are bare minimums, and you are the only disciple in your order going beyond the call of duty. Starting at 1st level you gain a +1 bonus to your caster level, but whenever you are given the opportunity to outshine another worshiper of the same deity you must take it and if you don’t or are bested you receive a -1 penalty to caster level checks and turning checks for the next 24 hours.
Compulser: You now are driven mad whenever someone disobeys your rules especially you’re your party members. Each time you convert a party member or person of great importance to your religion and also make them live by your code you get a +1 bonus to caster level checks and turning checks for the next 48 hours.
The Laws of Intervention: At 15th level your extreme devotion will impress their god. Once per week your god will grant one miracle, but if you use it they must add 1d2 additional laws to there code of honer.
Self-justification: You gain a +10 bonus to will saves and sense motive checks resist spells or arguments that compel you to break your code or prove to you that it does not make sense. If you ever take the leadership feat your followers must live by your rules which gives you a -1 penalty to your leadership score.
Insane Paladin
The Insane Paladin is a variant paladin, the class is as normal except as follows. This may stack with the paladin of tyranny variant.
Requirements: You must abide a code of honor far stricter than normal. No part of your code can be contradictory and your code must include all that was in you normal paladin code, but you must come up with 4d2 more rules from the following list and reroll anything that does not fit the characters alignment.
• You must not speak loudly or run.
• You must not fight on a particular day of the week or during certain hours of the day.
• You must 1d4 times per day perform a short inexpensive ritual that looks suspicious or is socially awkward.
• You must 1d3 times per week perform a ritual that involves the sacrifice of a masterwork item.
• You must 1d2 times per month perform a long ritual that involves the sacrifice of a member of your race.
• You must not be late for any event you wish to attend.
• You must not enter inhabited buildings without permission or a gift (worth 10 gp or more) for there owner.
• You must not throw away, give away, or sell an item that still could provide some slight bit of usefulness (even as a paperweight).
• You must perform several different minor tasks that a person with OCD person might do.
If you ever break this code you lose all class abilities and can no longer progress in the paladin class until you receive the atonement spell and perform an abnormally task hard task to repent and from then on add 1d2 more laws to your code of honer.
Class Features
Overwhelming Law: You believe that the commandments set forth by your order are bare minimums, and you are the only warrior in your order going beyond the call of duty. Starting at 1st level you gain the ability to smite chaos as well as good or evil.
Binding Laws: At 10th level your lawfulness binds others to obey certain rules. If you attempt to smite a chaotically aligned foe with less hit dice than you, you may chose to change the attack to a touch attack if so instead of dealing damage your foe must make a will save (10+your level+your cha mod) or follow one of your laws for a whole year
Self-justification: You gain a +10 bonus to will saves and sense motive checks resist spells or arguments that compel you to break your code or prove to you that it does not make sense. If you ever take the leadership feat your followers must live by your rules which gives you a -1 penalty to your leadership score.
Strict Samurai
The Strict Samurai is a variant samurai, the class is as normal except as follows.
Requirements: You must abide a code of honor far stricter than normal. No part of your code can be contradictory and your code must include all that was in you normal samurai code, but you must come up with 4d2 more rules from the following list and reroll anything that does not fit the characters emperors alignment.
• You must meditate a total of 4 hours a day.
• You must not fight on a particular day of the week or during certain hours of the day.
• You must not be late for any event you wish to attend.
• You must not enter inhabited buildings without permission or a gift (worth 10 gp or more) for there owner.
• You must not let anyone of lower rank then yourself influence your decisions unless they have signed documents from someone of higher rank then yourself.
• You must create a haiku once per week, normal haiku rules apply (5 than 7 than 5 syllables).
If you ever break this code you lose all class abilities and can no longer progress in the paladin class until you receive the atonement spell and perform an abnormally task hard task to repent and from then on add 1d2 more laws to your code of honer.
Class Features
Shinning Blades of Law: You believe that the commandments set forth by your emperor are bare minimums, and you are the only warrior in your order going beyond the call of duty. Starting at 1st level you gain you gain the ability to smite chaos once per day, and once more every five levels. At the beginning of a day you may meditate for 10 minuets and spend one of your smite chaos attempts to gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls on chaotic opponents for the entire day.
Spells
Minor Compulsion Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Pal 2, Clr 3, Wis/Sor 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Short (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One creature in range
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
When the spell is cast think of some easily accomplished task, if the target of your spell fails the save they will try to accomplish this task with every moment they can within reason. Whenever the target has a moment and they are not eating, sleeping, working, or in some sort of danger they must make a will save with a -2 penalty for each time they have previously failed a save from this spell or they are compelled to work on the task you gave them. This spell can be removed with a Remove Curse or greater magic.

Compulsion Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Pal 3, Clr 5, Wis/Sor 5
When the spell is cast think of some difficult task, if the target of your spell fails the save they will try to accomplish this task with every moment they can within reason. Whenever the target has a moment and they are not in some sort of danger they must make a will save with a -4 penalty for each time they have previously failed a save from this spell or they are compelled to work on the task you gave them. This spell can be removed with a Lesser Wish or greater magic.

Major Compulsion Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: pal 4, Clr 7, Wis/Sor 7
When the spell is cast think of some near impossible task, if the target of your spell fails the save they will try to accomplish this task with every moment they can within reason. Whenever the target has a moment and they are not in some sort of danger they must make a will save with a -8 penalty for each time they have previously failed a save from this spell or they are compelled to work on the task you gave them. This spell can be removed with a Wish or Miracle.

Halberd
2012-04-22, 09:46 AM
The extra requirements on the code are too harmful for the bonuses listed, especially the rituals (masterwork and sacrifice), and the I am useless at certain times of the week/day. Smite chaos sounds pretty cool.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-22, 01:32 PM
Which classes are you saying the code is too harmful for? And you can pick less harmful parts for your code if you want, you don't get the entire list.

Story Time
2012-04-24, 07:58 AM
There are some interesting ideas here! :smallsmile: I haven't been able to read it all. The last section, specifically, but I like the lists. Can they be extended?

I...um. I also thought of a suggestion?

Samurai: Must compose one haiku ( poem ) per week; it must be exactly seventeen syllables?

...I think that they also had a custom about powdered rouge in the sleeve... :smalleek:

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-24, 09:41 AM
Sure I'll think of some ideas.

EDIT: Ok I'll add your ideas, but where is this powdered rouge.

Story Time
2012-05-03, 06:47 AM
Where is it? I don't understand the question? ???:smallconfused:???

Dr.Orpheus
2012-05-03, 12:58 PM
Oh I thought there was a powdered rouge class or something? I guess that was not what you were saying.

Story Time
2012-05-04, 02:02 AM
No-no! :smallbiggrin: Rogue is a class. Rouge is a make-up. The reference comes from a samurai who lived through his service to his ruler. The samurai then started living at a temple or monastery. He wrote down his thoughts at some point about samurai life and the powdered rouge comment was one of them.

It's...probably not the greatest piece of literature about the subject. But reading your material made me think of that.

Mechanically? It's probably a small expense. But it strikes me that adhering to a principle can be viewed from the point of obsession, and also insanity. So that's why I mention it. :smallsmile:

Thanks...for incorporating my ideas. :smallredface: I um... Yeah, just thanks in general. :smallsmile:

Dr.Orpheus
2012-05-04, 10:02 AM
Your welcome.