PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 D&D] Bard help for Return to the Tomb of Horrors

Tyrantsbane
2012-04-01, 12:19 PM
My group is getting together again and we are running 3.5 ed Return to the Tomb of Horrors. I originally decided on a bard, cause I love em oh so much. I started to struggle for a build concept though. Then I found out the rest of the party and I really started to struggle.

Party consists of:

Paladin, Focused on tanking
Paladin, focused on DPS
Druid, Support/Healing
Ranger, focused on long range
Fighter, Focused on DPS

And then me, the bard. As you see we lack any true arcane caster, but no short on DPS. So I am looking for a bard that will help us fill that arcane void while still being able to support. DPS isn't a MUST but usefulness is. As my last few bards I have rolled for other campaigns have been...worthless.

My DM suggested both Master Harper as well as Sublime chord. But I just can't decide what route to go...

We are using only official 3.5 books. No home brew at all. Starting at level 14 with a 36 point buy

So, what ideas do you have fellow bards have?

Mari01
2012-04-01, 12:32 PM
That group screams Inspire Courage optimization. Throw in some Dragonfire Inspiration and your party will be the one singing songs about you.

I'd recommend a Silverbrow Human. Use your first feats on DFI and then Song of the heart. The good thing is that if you're pumping your IC, your spellcasting doesn't have to lag behind. If you want to get into Sublime Chord I'd say a build like Bard 8/Virtuoso 2/SC 2/Virtuoso X will do you good.

Tyrantsbane
2012-04-01, 01:27 PM
Those feats seem like a great choice.

Any other ideas?

eggs
2012-04-01, 01:32 PM
You're doing a Tomb of Horrors spinoff without a Rogue? :smalleek:

You're seriously going to want trapfinding.

You *could* use two feats to do that without losing caster levels via the Thief's Gloves soulmeld, but dipping a level in Factotum/Spellthief/Rogue would add Search, Spot and Disable Device and to your list of cappable skills, so is probably a better option overall. If you go Sublime Chord, the dip won't slow your casting in any appreciable way.

EDIT:
Master Harper makes cool filler for certain gishes, but it doesn't do a whole lot for a Bard that levels in Bard or Bard-specific PrCs wouldn't do, and it loses out on Bardic music. This isn't a situation where I'd use it.

kulosle
2012-04-01, 02:30 PM
So I think this exact same problem happened in a thread a week ago and i'll reiterate what I said there. First question is are you set on bard are would you be willing to take sorcerer into prestigious bard. Either way I'll give you the two builds.

Kobold (and related shenanigans)
Major bloodline 3
Sorcerer 5/ prestigious bard 2/Crusader 1/war weaver 5/seeker of song 2/uncanny trickster 2/ Incantrix 3

This version is a little feat intensive and require that you DM let you get 2 non core bard spells added to your list (prestigious bard only guarantees core spells). But you end up with DFI (sonic), 9th levels spells, the ability to weave 9th level spells into your tapestry, effective bard level of 10 for music (higher with items and feats), combine song, and persisting shenanigans. First turn activate tapestry, sing two songs, cast arcane fusion inspirational boost and creaking cacophony

Silverbrow human
Major bloodline 3
Bard 7/crusader 1/war weaver 1/uncanny trickster 1/Sublime chord 2/War Weaver +4/Uncanny trickster +1/Incantrix 3

Far less feat heavy more bard centered, and a lot simpler, but slightly less power.

If neither of those are you cup of tea then I'd go with the simple
Bard 8/Virtuoso 2/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso +8.
Short, sweet, and to the point. A very good caster. Better then Sorcerer 20.

Tyrantsbane
2012-04-01, 02:57 PM
Hah. We have a rogue going skill monkey. I forgot to add that to my original list.

Great ideas. Loving them so far.

hex0
2012-04-01, 06:19 PM
Trapsmith eats any Tomb of Horrors or similar module. You'll need one in your party!

Edit: If you can fit Trickster Spellthief in, you can be a boss Trapsmith!