PDA

View Full Version : Vader's hand block

An Enemy Spy
2012-04-01, 02:38 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but when Dath Vader blocks Han's blaster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEJbk7zrxs0), is that a force power or a property of his suit?
I know that in the EU, some Jedi can do that, but that was all written years later, and the original conception could have been different.
If that's a common thing, then how come Luke or any other Jedi in the entire series never display the ability to block lasers with their hand? Or is Vader's Vadersuit able to do that by itself?
Don't mock me.

Siosilvar
2012-04-01, 02:58 PM
I think in I, Jedi (the EU book where Corran Horn becomes a Jedi) it's described as specifically Vader's power (and Corran's). I don't have the book any more, but it's something along the lines of absorbing the energy and using it to do something else immediately, like pulling the blaster out of Han's hand.

Weezer
2012-04-01, 03:15 PM
I don't think it's a force power, in Vader's case at least. Corran's ability applies to all energy attacks (including things like lightning and lightsabers) and this isn't seen in any other time when Vader is attacked. I've always just thought he had an armoured suit, or at the least up-armoured hands that he then blocked blasters with.

Thrawn183
2012-04-01, 03:18 PM
I think in I, Jedi (the EU book where Corran Horn becomes a Jedi) it's described as specifically Vader's power (and Corran's). I don't have the book any more, but it's something along the lines of absorbing the energy and using it to do something else immediately, like pulling the blaster out of Han's hand.

In I, Jedi the Horn family line Jedi are incapable of using telekinesis but they are especially good at absorbing energy. If they absorb the energy from something like a blaster or a lightsaber, they become temporarily very powerful at telekinesis (though the ability is extremely painful).

As for Darth Vader, it is described as a force ability, not a technological marvel.

Dr. Roboto
2012-04-01, 03:24 PM
I know that in one of the Star Wars: Saga Edition books (I think it was the Core book) the Absorb Energy force power was illustrated with a screencap of Vader blocking the shot, so I think it's a force power.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-04-01, 04:33 PM
While a quick glance doesn't find anything persay mentioning it specific to the case in question other being obviously created to explain it...

This seems to be what you are looking for. (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Absorb_Energy)

Closet_Skeleton
2012-04-01, 05:25 PM
Pretty sure this has been explained twice, once as a force power once as a property of Vader's glove (http://web.archive.org/web/20110629022049/http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/darthvaderssuit/index.html). Vader had some funky tech in his glove but the force can deflect energy bolts.

So whichever you prefer.

Flickerdart
2012-04-01, 09:34 PM
It could've been a combination - Vader's force powers are used to nullify the blast's destructive capabilities while the suit absorbed the now harmless energy.

shadow_archmagi
2012-04-01, 10:32 PM
Also there's the fact that his arms were metal so being shot wouldn't really do much to them anyway.

Flickerdart
2012-04-01, 10:37 PM
Also there's the fact that his arms were metal so being shot wouldn't really do much to them anyway.
Stromtrooper armor kills the user when shot at, so, you never know.

Tavar
2012-04-01, 11:45 PM
There is another book where Luke absorbs energy. It's described as extremely draining, and there is some prep work. Which may explain why it isn't used often.

Trixie
2012-04-02, 02:07 AM
Stromtrooper armor kills the user when shot at, so, you never know.

You mean stops kills, yes? :smallconfused:

Aside from harsh environments, the armor also protected the troopers from projectiles and impact weapons. Although it could be penetrated by a direct blaster bolt, the armor was capable of reducing the damage from the absorbed bolt. Blast energy sinks were distributed around the armor to absorb energy from a blaster bolt.

In all sources I'm aware of, you very specifically need military grade heavy blasters to even disable a Stormtrooper, to kill one with a shot you pretty much need light anti-materiel gun.

Knaight
2012-04-02, 02:17 AM

In all sources I'm aware of, you very specifically need military grade heavy blasters to even disable a Stormtrooper, to kill one with a shot you pretty much need light anti-materiel gun.

All sources other than the original three movies. In those, shooting them once seemed to kill them, while people without armor routinely got shot and suffered mere minor burns in some cases.

Forum Explorer
2012-04-02, 02:23 AM

Nope it kills its wearer with a quick burst of deadly neurotoxin once danger is detected so that the corpse will be in perfect condition for the funeral :smallwink:

Anarion
2012-04-02, 02:33 AM
Guys, guys, it's important to remember that most of those shots were from Han's blaster and that thing was a souped up piece of overpowered tech. In theory, stormtrooper armor protects just fine against anything not fired by a protagonist.

hamishspence
2012-04-02, 06:38 AM
Remember the "cannon fodder" rebels as the troopers board Leia's ship? At least one shoots a stormtrooper dead.

shadow_archmagi
2012-04-02, 08:01 AM
Guys, guys, it's important to remember that most of those shots were from Han's blaster and that thing was a souped up piece of overpowered tech. In theory, stormtrooper armor protects just fine against anything not fired by a protagonist.

unless it's a rock

Gnoman
2012-04-02, 03:12 PM
Remember the "cannon fodder" rebels as the troopers board Leia's ship? At least one shoots a stormtrooper dead.

Yes, with direct hits. In the meanwhile, unormored characters were benig slaughtered by impacts on the walls around them. In other words, it's not that stormtrooper armor is bad, it's that everyone is carrying a sidearm that out-powers grenade launchers.

Knaight
2012-04-02, 03:37 PM
Yes, with direct hits. In the meanwhile, unormored characters were benig slaughtered by impacts on the walls around them. In other words, it's not that stormtrooper armor is bad, it's that everyone is carrying a sidearm that out-powers grenade launchers.

These would be the unarmored characters that didn't get shot in the soldier, right next to the neck and head. Those characters briefly lost arm functionality. Stormtrooper armor was aesthetic in the original trilogy, and only picked up a use (other than being a disguise for rebels) in the EU.

Jayngfet
2012-04-02, 04:43 PM
Can't it be both? I mean it's possible to endow objects with force power to give them additional properties, and this is well established as being able to affect how it takes energy.

It's entirely possible Vader put some kind of dark side enchantment on his suit in order to make himself more powerful.

Reverent-One
2012-04-02, 04:52 PM
These would be the unarmored characters that didn't get shot in the soldier, right next to the neck and head. Those characters briefly lost arm functionality. Stormtrooper armor was aesthetic in the original trilogy, and only picked up a use (other than being a disguise for rebels) in the EU.

No, the unarmored characters Gnoman is referring to are ones that are unnamed and thus die. You're talking about a named, unarmored character. Really, it's not that Stormtrooper armor didn't have a use, it's just that blaster weapons were heavily affected by the power of plot.

Anarion
2012-04-02, 04:59 PM
unless it's a rock

Okay, I admit the rock is a bit ridiculous and I am in no way trying to justify the whole Ewok thing. However, armor designed to absorb thermal energy, especially very rigid armor like the stormtroopers seem to wear, actually would not take blunt impacts very well. If the blunt impact was hard enough (say a large mace or flail) it would either cave in the armor or just transfer the force directly to the person and send them flying as well as probably causing some internal injuries.

No, the unarmored characters Gnoman is referring to are ones that are unnamed and thus die. You're talking about a named, unarmored character. Really, it's not that Stormtrooper armor didn't have a use, it's just that blaster weapons were heavily affected by the power of plot.

Pretty much this. It just wouldn't make a good story if that grazing shot took off Leia's entire arm.

Flickerdart
2012-04-02, 06:42 PM
Pretty much this. It just wouldn't make a good story if that grazing shot took off Leia's entire arm.
It worked out all right for Luke.

Knaight
2012-04-02, 09:24 PM
Okay, I admit the rock is a bit ridiculous and I am in no way trying to justify the whole Ewok thing. However, armor designed to absorb thermal energy, especially very rigid armor like the stormtroopers seem to wear, actually would not take blunt impacts very well. If the blunt impact was hard enough (say a large mace or flail) it would either cave in the armor or just transfer the force directly to the person and send them flying as well as probably causing some internal injuries.
I'd buy the blunt impact being hard enough if it wasn't a rock, thrown by someone who weighed maybe 1/6 as much as the target. Even without armor, that should have done next to nothing.

leafman
2012-04-02, 09:44 PM
Didn't Luke get shot in his robo-hand in RotJ and he pretty much just shrugged it off and kept fighting? I remember him wincing with pain, but the damage didn't seem to stop him from fighting, maybe Vader is just BA enough he didn't notice it hurt or his prosthetic hands didn't have pain sensors.

Marnath
2012-04-02, 09:58 PM
Darth Vader's right glove is an indestructible sith artifact. Later on in the EU a guy named Trioculus went looking for it in the death star wreckage because he thought it would help his claim for leadership of the remaining imperial forces. He also thought it let you force choke people but that turned out to be a thing Vader learned how to do on his own.

hamishspence
2012-04-03, 06:29 AM
It actually got modified so it could choke people- I think by manipulating energy frequencies.

Unfortunately for Trioculus- the process ended up permanently damaging his hand- and he had to stop using it.

Saph
2012-04-03, 06:47 AM
The Star Wars RPGs have usually had "Energy Absorption" as a specific Force power, which nullifies hits from blasters, etc. The Star Wars Saga version even works on all energy attacks . . . including lightsabers. And if you spend a force point, you actually gain vitality from the hit.

So by RPG rules it's quite possible to take a lightsaber to the face and not only shrug it off, but heal your wounds in the process.

Unsurprisingly this is one bit of game mechanics that doesn't seem to have made it into the films or books, probably because they didn't like the mental image of Jedi shooting themselves to self-heal. :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2012-04-03, 11:23 AM
Corran in I. Jedi seems to have it- the bad guy's trap (set up by his treacherous lieutenant) goes off, blaster bolts go everywhere, a great many hit Corran, but he absorbs them, and channels it into creating a large illusion.
He can't protect his clothes though- leading to an embarrassing moment.

His grandfather was stabbed by a lightsaber, and while not able to heal the damage, he absorbed enough of the energy that the blade simply went out- and he used that power to Force Crush his Dark Jedi enemy (normally as a non-telekinetic, he couldn't do that).

Anarion
2012-04-03, 11:36 AM
Corran in I. Jedi seems to have it- the bad guy's trap (set up by his treacherous lieutenant) goes off, blaster bolts go everywhere, a great many hit Corran, but he absorbs them, and channels it into creating a large illusion.
He can't protect his clothes though- leading to an embarrassing moment.

His grandfather was stabbed by a lightsaber, and while not able to heal the damage, he absorbed enough of the energy that the blade simply went out- and he used that power to Force Crush his Dark Jedi enemy (normally as a non-telekinetic, he couldn't do that).

And this is why time spent in study is a good idea, even when you have force powers that let you jump 50 feet and pick up X-wings.

DMfromTheAbyss
2012-04-03, 12:37 PM
As mentioned the Absorb/dissipate energy trick is not unheard of for jedi/sith/force users. It is generally not a sure thing though, depending on the user's ability and concentration (roll?) it doesn't ALWAYS work.

However Vader is also "stat"ed to have DARK ARMOR in several sources. A better than normal armor force imbued to make it more resistant to damage.

So the likely answer is Vader blocked with his hand with the absorb dissipate force power, and even if it might not work, counted on the glove/cybernetic arm/armor to reduce or negate the damage.

Vader being a cononical master of the dark side, we would expect it to have worked, however from the amount of sparks thrown off by the shot he may not have been entirely successful, possibly suffering some minor scorching on his glove, which between being a cyborg, armored with technologically superior armor, infused with the power of dark side he then entirely ignored.

In combat it's not neccessarily about 1 single attribute or fact, but several that make up the total picture of what happens.

Anarion
2012-04-03, 12:48 PM
Vader being a cononical master of the dark side, we would expect it to have worked, however from the amount of sparks thrown off by the shot he may not have been entirely successful, possibly suffering some minor scorching on his glove, which between being a cyborg, armored with technologically superior armor, infused with the power of dark side he then entirely ignored.

Perhaps he had to use a fair amount of effort to make sure that the shot actually went towards his glove, rather than his face or breather controls, so he didn't have as much focus to put toward dissipating the shot and knew that his glove could handle it anyway?

Xondoure
2012-04-03, 01:18 PM
It's been awhile but I thought he deflected the shot more than absorbed it. Is that wrong?

hamishspence
2012-04-03, 01:19 PM
I don't recall there being big craters in either wall after Han's shots- but it's been a while since I watched.

Leecros
2012-04-03, 01:32 PM
There's a few scorch marks, but nothing major.

hamishspence
2012-04-03, 02:47 PM
Considering how powerful Han's blaster is in A New Hope (chunks of material falling out of the walls- though at least in the novel it's a dirt pit so the walls aren't that tough)

and the scene where Luke and Boba exchange fire in Cloud City, leaving big holes in the walls- "Vader absorbed some of it" doesn't seem that silly an EU extrapolation.

Abies
2012-04-03, 07:08 PM
Keep in mind when discussing the effects of rocks on Stormtrooper armor: Ewoks are Kryptonian. Or at least the trees are.

For the effects the tree trunks had on that one AT-ST, those trees would have had to be 1000 times heavier and more dense than any tree in existence on Earth (Or dropped from orbit). And that is assuming modern-Earth based metallurgy was used to make the AT-ST frame (one can assume far more advanced materials were used).

While this is the most reasonable explanation, this is 99.99% joke, if you can not see that, I'm sorry

Weezer
2012-04-03, 08:04 PM
Keep in mind when discussing the effects of rocks on Stormtrooper armor: Ewoks are Kryptonian. Or at least the trees are.

For the effects the tree trunks had on that one AT-ST, those trees would have had to be 1000 times heavier and more dense than any tree in existence on Earth (Or dropped from orbit). And that is assuming modern-Earth based metallurgy was used to make the AT-ST frame (one can assume far more advanced materials were used).

While this is the most reasonable explanation, this is 99.99% joke, if you can not see that, I'm sorry

Well it seems obvious that the AT-STs were constructed from explosives to prevent them from falling into Rebel hands and while this explosive is not ignited by blaster fire (Empire engineers aren't complete idiots), it is set off by severe shocks, something that obviously backfired, both due to the fact that it's not wookie-proof and susceptibility to booby traps.
Obviously this is complete BS

Anarion
2012-04-03, 09:21 PM
Well it seems obvious that the AT-STs were constructed from explosives to prevent them from falling into Rebel hands and while this explosive is not ignited by blaster fire (Empire engineers aren't complete idiots), it is set off by severe shocks, something that obviously backfired, both due to the fact that it's not wookie-proof and susceptibility to booby traps.
Obviously this is complete BS

That doesn't really explain how the square cockpit got totally crushed in before the explosion.

Obviously Endor trees are made of one of the most dense materials in the galaxy and the fact that the Ewoks can lift and maneuver them suggests they also have the Herculean strength necessary to throw rocks hard enough to take out stormtroopers.

Xondoure
2012-04-03, 10:37 PM
That or Endor has a higher gravity than most planets, so the woks are shorter but comparatively much stronger than other creatures, hence the rocks. And the AT-ST frames were already under a considerable amount of stress.

Additionally, its possible the AT-STs were built with a relatively weak alloy, that happened to be pretty good at resisting energy, but not brute force.

Knaight
2012-04-04, 12:55 AM
Additionally, its possible the AT-STs were built with a relatively weak alloy, that happened to be pretty good at resisting energy, but not brute force.

They're decent, yes, but that can largely be attributed to scale. However, there's an alternative - they are designed with weak materials, because weak materials are cheap. The Empire is fond of more over better for the most part (See: TIE fighters), and quantity has a quality all of its own.

hamishspence
2012-04-04, 05:59 AM
I figure this is the best explanation. And that energy absorption is far more important to the Empire than shock resistance.

Think of AT-ATs and AT-STs as basically made of shuttle-style heat shielding- it'll soak up blaster fire like anything but crumples under hard hits. Kinetic energy weapons may have gone out of style for a few thousand years.

As for Endor- there are giant humanoids (the Gorax) on the planet, which may hint that its gravity is slightly lower than normal.

Its size is very small (in The Essential Atlas it is 4500 km in diameter- about the size of the planet Mercury)- suggesting extremely high density. This may apply to organics on the planet as well.

Traab
2012-04-04, 07:43 AM
No, you fools have it all wrong. The answer is so obvious that it is staring you in the face. The moon of endor once went by another name. Cybertron. The ewoks are the last faded remnants of the great transformers. Those trees? They are solid super dense metal that has taken on the form of a forest. Those ewoks are actually compactly designed robots. Thats the real reason they worshiped c-3po as a god. It had been so long since they last saw a robot that actively acted as a robot that they couldnt help themselves.

Its why their "sticks and stones" did so much damage to stormtroopers. They were super dense and strong metallic alloys designed to look like rocks and being thrown by arms capable of hurling 200 pound lumps of metal like fastballs. Those trees probably weighed at least 600 metric tons each, and had enough mass and momentum to reduce anything caught between them to pancake status.

thubby
2012-04-04, 11:22 AM
my inclination is to say a little of both.

his suit is fairly tough in the bits that arent an iron lung. using the force to enhance that would be simple, especially for vader.

Kairaven
2012-04-04, 12:04 PM
couple other examples:

Yoda abosorbed Dooku's force lightning barehanded in AotC

In the republic opening cutscene of SW:TOR, Satele Shan deflected a lightsaber thrust barehanded.

Mewtarthio
2012-04-04, 12:26 PM
You're all wrong. Endor is really the home of an unbelievably ancient and powerful thing. The horrors it inflicts on the Stormtroopers are too terrible to comprehend. When any mortal human attempts to watch, their mind snaps under the strain and expunges the memory, replacing it with images of cute little Teddy bears dancing around waving sticks.