PDA

View Full Version : The Dusk Queen

The Walox
2012-04-01, 06:58 PM
Chapter 1. Welcome to Arulia

Gems, jewels, treasures, death, despair, poverty, all these are to be found under the dunes and deserts of Aruliea, or so the traveler once wrote. The sheiks and nomads of this dusty land of deserts and chaparrals were the stuff of legend. The towering minarets, sprawling palaces and vast colleges and wealthy cities were testaments to the high culture and worldly wisdom of the desert peoples.

Among the terra cotta and sand stone walls of their cites, the vibrant mosaics of their mosques and palaces the desert men made created their philosophies; as much a stand against the Polarian’s at the borders as the standing armies of the faithful. But that was a decades ago.

The righteous fervor wasn’t enough to keep the Polarian hordes at bay. They came, the tall pale northern men and women in a fury. It was too much and so it was that the gateway to the free Arabian nations fell. Today the grander of the old days serve as a bitter reminder of the Arulian’s days before colonial rule. The bazaars and suks of the city streets still teem with life, the colleges with studious activity; the prayers at the mosques still take place five times a day. Life goes on as it always had, uninterrupted yet the people still yearn for their freedom from the north men, if only to be free.
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Great Aunt Effie’s homemade gin had interesting effects on people. It made some laugh, some sing and for some reason it made hardy Rowyn black out. One time after a dare she had drank an entire bottle; only to wake up the next morning to discover that she had slain the local yeti and stole all of the Jarls chickens.

So really she shouldn’t have been surprised to regain consciousness in the middle of what could only be described as a massive beach spreading out in all directions. The sun shone brutally overhead; the great heat doing nothing to increase Rowyn’s fondness for the landscape of massive rolling hills of sand. A quick look around after some of the after affects of Aunt Effie’s fire gin wore off reviled that she wasn’t alone.

A massive worm, for lack of a better description, lay partially submerged in one of the dunes. Its rough segmented body nearly a mile long and so wide it could have swallowed the Jarl’s house whole. The beast was motionless as though dead and Rowyn’s instincts seemed to tell her she was correct. On the opposite dune there was a crowd of men dressed in identical flowing with robes and headdresses.

Two figures had departed the group and were moving with hurried patternless footsteps. They reached Rowyn and stopped. One of the figures, a man dressed in a white robe and headdress, fingered the Celtic sword in his sash. He was an Arulian, with a swarthy complexion and a neatly kept beard. His chocolate brown eyes apprised Rowyn with a mixture of pride and fear.
The other figure was the Arulian’s direct contrast. She was decidedly shorter than either Rowyn or the Arulian man. She wore an old Calvary jacket with a high collar, the black and gold fabric was worn and threadbare like the rest of her ensemble, the sleeves where truncated at the elbows and she wore several heavy bracelets of Bedouin origin that matched the large hoops of her mulit-pierced ears.

In addition to the jacket she wore thick heavy riding boots that covered the length of her legs and a pair of men’s trousers underneath. The laces of her corseted blouse where loosely tied. She crossed her arms and nodded approvingly. “Well done kid, but when I said that you had to ride the worm, I didn’t mean that you had to ride it to death.” Her deep husky contralto was a bit of a surprise issuing form her soft benevolent face with its young features and upturned nose.

She adjusted the sling that supported the battered old musket the she carried on her back. Her emerald green eyes sparkled with an unnatural glow and there were the faint beginnings of laugh lines at their corners. She had the healthy light brown tan of someone who spends plenty of time in the sun and her auburn hair was nearly bleached pink. The woman, or girl rather she seemed far younger than Rowyn, extended a hand to help. “Come on, you been on that monster for a week, let’s get you to some shade.” Which seemed like an odd thing to say, Rowyn felt fine.

IvoryAssassin
2012-04-12, 04:31 AM
Being a suspicious soul and quite a bit more intelligent than her cousins Rowyn decided not to let on that she had no fing clue as to 1) Where she was. 2) Who they were. or 3) What had transpired in the last week of her life.
"Shade would be good...and water." She attempted to say in a firm voice but since the only thing she had to drink in the last week was Aunt Effie's homemade gin all she managed was a croak. Following the strange man and woman Rowyn takes the time to size up the two people in front of her.

The Walox
2012-04-14, 02:52 PM
The woman obligingly led Rowyn over the nearest dune to a small circle of stark white tents. Her companion, the man in the flowing robe, shouted to his companions on the crest of the sand dune. The group of men rushed down the sand dune in a graceful flock; setting upon the corpse of the worm like so many white vultures.

The man caught back up with the women in a few strides. His body moved with the trained, sinewy motions of a feline predator; his chocolate brown eyes flashed with calculating intelligence as he summed up Rowyn and addressed the pink haired woman, ”Sitt, it appears as though fortune had smiled upon us when it sent the north woman into our company. Shaitan’s teeth will bring us a mighty price at the Suk.”

The woman acknowledged with a brilliant smile as she bowed Rowyn into one of the large tents. The man waited outside until the woman entered and then entered the tent himself. “I had no doubt about it Selim” her face was set in a genuine pleasant smile. She seemed honest enough but something was just wrong about her, it was difficult to explain but she was just, well, spooky.

The bright light filtering in from outside gleamed dully off of the weathered sliver captains bar affixed to her shoulders. She was defiantly a foreigner in this land but how long she had been there Rowyn could only guess. She must have done something impressive to earn these men’s respect. The way Selim had addressed her, with reverence and respect meant something.

The woman spoke again as the man Selim pressed a cup of steaming tea into Rowyn’s hands.”I had my doubts when you stormed into the Suk like you did, shouting about the invincible Rowyn.” She shook her head giving a soft chuckle. “I tried to keep you from going out there but, after you knocked five men cold I figured any effort on my part was moot.” Her tone became a bit more business like, ”After what you did I suppose I can give a bigger share than we agreed to before, I think twenty percent should be more than fair.”

The man Selim made a quite choking noise, “It will come for my share Selim; you can stop pretending to choke now.”

IvoryAssassin
2012-04-14, 09:16 PM
Rowyn quickly drank the tea grateful for something to wet her parched lip and nearly gagged for her efforts. The stuff to Rowyn tasted like liquid grass. Very foul to a barbarian who prefers a good ale over any other drink. Rowyn not wanting to appear ungrateful decided it was best to thank the lady who gave her the creeps. "Thank you for your generosity it is most welcome and I am sorry if I caused any harm to your men."
I suppose since I only have knowledge nature I can't roll anything to see if I know where the suk is or what it is but I can roll to maybe to see if I know what that worm thing is and where it tends to live. So if I can my knowledge nature roll on the worm is 13.

The Walox
2012-04-15, 04:56 PM
The woman laughed a warm pleasant laugh that sounded faintly like the caroling of bells; she covered her mouth with her right hand as she did. “Don’t worry about it; I think you’ll find that it takes much more than a drunken brawl to cause any lasting damage to my men. They were impressed by your strength and your bravery; though I won’t lie many though it was pure suicidal stupidity that drove you to ride the worm.” Selim’s features spread in a knowing smile.

“But none the less,” The woman continued,” it works to our advantage. You have earned their respect and in the days to come it will be most welcome.” She stood and drew a familiar looking pack from behind a wooden chest, “Here are your belongings; you left them when you set out to catch the worm. I’m sure you will want to purchase some more commodities when we are in town tomorrow; it’s only a two hour walk form here but I want to get our affairs in order before we begin the expedition. So plan on a n early rise; you can sleep in this tent tonight we will purchase one for your personal use tomorrow.”

She made her way to the flap of the tent,”If you will excuse me I have some business to attend to; Selim will give you any assistance you require or answer any questions you may have.” And without further adieu she was gone with a rustling of canvas. Selim stroked his beard and fingered the Celtic sword in his sash, “Rowyn Effendi, I am at you service.” His tone was passive but something in his handsome face gave Rowyn the impression that he didn’t like playing the servant.

Even in the far north of Rowyn’s home stories are told of the fearsome sandworms of the desert lands. Shaitan or Satan as the Desert wanders call them are massive beasts capable of destroying entire cities. Sightless mindless creatures they rely on their hearing to detect vibrations n the sand and thus their pray. It is said that they only inhabit the dune seas as the rock formations of the cities and inhabited areas of the desert nations are impassible to these horrid leviathans. It is also said that water is fatal to these creatures and their teeth are treasured the world over as the sharpest of all cutting edges and blades made form these substances are worth more their weight in gold.

IvoryAssassin
2012-04-16, 03:27 AM
Rowyn knew the tone in Selims voice well for how many times had she and her brothers had the exact same tone when made to play servant to their Chief also known as father's guests. So not wanting to offend the man with the sword she only had one question perhaps the most important question to any barbarian. "Where can a girl get something to eat around here? You don't have to get me anything just point me in the right direction... Please."There were so many more questions she was dieing to ask like 'how did I get here' and 'how long have I been here' and of second most importance 'how far away am I from home' but she asks none of these questions because one thing a barbarian knows is you never let a potential enemy know that they have the advantage. Show no weakness no points of vulnerability if you wish to survive as your fathers heir had been pounded into her head since birth so she wasn't about to change her ways now especially in this strange land gods know how far from home with a strange man and a sword.
Just so I know about what time of day is it and do I know anything about where I am or who these people are or is my home land to far away for me to know anything about this culture?

The Walox
2012-04-16, 01:14 PM
Selim gave a genuine smile,” When one rides Shaitan for a week; ceasing only when the beast has died and then has the sense to ask for food. I can give that individual a great deal of respect.” His deep richly accented voice was thick with a genial tone.

“I will have to get the servant to bring you some. In the desert one does not leave food where it is readily accessible; and water is guarded with one’s life.” He stuck his head out of the tent flap with one fluid motion and shouted something; a bit too muffled to be understood inside the thick canvas walls.

Selim seemed satisfied and sat cross-legged across form Rowyn on the ornate rug of the floor.“I hear that your people have an affinity for fermented drink, I am sorry to say that we have none among us as our creed forbids it.” He continued in a bitter tone, “Though the north men occupying the town keep a great deal with them, perhaps The Sitt Sahara can barter some for you.” A gawky adolescent boy pushed his way in to the tent holding a tray of spiced meats and exotic fruits Rowyn had only seen in her father’s most lavish banquets.

Selim’s countenance brightened considerably,”Thank you Aliid that will be all.” The spotty youth excused himself and exited the tent in an awkward motion. Selim’s eyes sparkled with inquisitive light, ”I hope you do not mind my asking Rowyn Effendi, but what brings you to Arulia, the land of a thousand burning sands?”

Alirighty, this is everything Rowyn might have haerd about wherever she is.
Every man and woman, from the time they are children, has heard stories of the sands and chaparrals of Arulia. The Arulians are prolific traders and their exotic wares and tall tales are common sights in the noble’s halls and markets of the world.

The people are Muslims and as a whole as devote as their rugged lifestyle allows. It is a culture dominated by men, women are usually assigned to domestic tasks the sole exception being the mystic priestess that roam the deserts; remnants of the old pagan religions. Aurlia is also a land of antiquity; the land is dotted with ancient temples and vast monuments. Today however most people live near the Bokra, Arabic for “tomorrow”, river, which is extremely fertile and floods twice a year, or the massive sandstone cliffs and basins, as the open dunes of the deserts are home to the monstrous sandworms.

The country is currently occupied by the vast Polarian Empire which also threatens the boarders of Rowyn’s homeland. If the legends are to be believed, as the sinking feeling in Rowyn’s gut suggests, she is thousands and thousands of miles away from home.

Oh, and it is the late afternoon, by the way.

IvoryAssassin
2012-04-18, 07:12 AM
When Rowyn hears the words Aurlia and burning sands her heart plummets to the bottom of her feet because she has just realized that she is not going home anytime soon. If she were not a barbarian borderline sociopath she would be curled up in a corner crying in deepest despair, but the only indication of her feelings is a brief frown. There is but one thought in her head. It would take me months to get this far from home and months to get back but I don't have enough gold to afford a second journey. By time I reach home father could be dead and one of my brothers will be wearing the armband of Chieftain. Actually two thoughts are running circles around each other in Rowyns head the other being. If I get home in time to still be Chieftain I swear by Vatun I will never drink Aunt Effies Gin again.

"What brought me here you ask. Well in all honesty it was some of Aunt Effies famous gin and it would seem Nathair Sgiathach."Rowyn said while taking a bite of meat. Making the last bit kind of garbled but Selim should get the gist of it. While Rowyn eats she ponders something that strange woman mentioned earlier. Something like it works to our advantage. You have earned their respect and in the days to come it will be most welcome."I must confess I find myself a bit...uneasy at something that woman said...that earning the mens respect will come in handy soon. What precisely did she mean by that?

Just for your reference Vatun is the god of barbarians and all things cold like winter and such uh here is what it says in the deities book.
Vatun is the god of Northern Barbarians, Cold, Winter, and Arctic Beasts. His symbol is the sun setting on a snowy landscape. Vatun appears as a massive Suel barbarian dressed in the skins of polar bears. His beard is made of snow and ice, and his breath is a frozen fog. He wields a mighty battleaxe called Winter's Bite, made completely of ice. Vatun teaches that winter is an opportunity to cull the weak from the strong, and that cowards should be covered by snow and forgotten. The Great God of the North also speaks of a "Great Winter" which will cover the land, allowing the northern barbarians to inherit the Oerth. Vatun's priests are charged with aiding their tribe in battle, helping their people survive winter, and healing the injured members of their community. The most capable priests seek the legendary Five Blades of Corusk, which will free Vatun if the five are united. Their favored weapon is the battleaxe.Vatun's priests preach that cowardice is to be despised, and that Telchur's faith( telchur is the god who imprisoned Vatun and those sword things are part of a spell that will break the prison of ice that Vatun is in) is to always be opposed, preferably with violence. They are also foes of devils and those who serve them.
Basically that is all there is to really know about him some people think that
Odin is another face of Vatun because they are so similar. I was thinking if that if you didn't already have a land made up for Rowyn to be from she could be from uber far north in the land called Suel well actually its a little peninsula north of the place called Suel. Anywho another thing if you needed some more material I could cross class Rowyn as a cleric of Vatun and it could be her quest that she needs to do not just to become the
Chieftain of her tribe but the Chieftain of the whole barbarian nation is to find all five swords of Corusk. Thats just some more info for you if you run out of things to do I don't want you to do it...well what I mean is its just background on her culture if you need it I am not asking you to add it to your story. Meanwhile back at the ranch the other dude I referenced is Nathair Sgiathach. He is a fey critter that is an equivalent of a god he is in charge of mischief and pranks not unlike the greek guy Puck remember him from a midnights summer dream. I don't know if he actually had anything to do with Rowyn landing that far south but its the only thing she could think of happening to her because her people don't really believe in luck good or bad.

The Walox
2012-04-18, 01:16 PM
Selim raised a dark shapely eyebrow, “The Sitt Sahara?” his countenance shifted from jovial to thoughtful as he stocked his neat beard, “Yes, I see, a very good question. Well Rowyn Effendi, in Arulia women do not often share the privileges if men; especially in regards to the hardships of the desert. The men of our company (while good men) are uncertain of bringing a woman along for the expedition; excepting the Sitt Sahara of course. When you rode Shaitan in the desert forcing him into eternal slumber in the sands from whence he came, the men saw that you where worthy of their respect, and will follow your command if necessary.” Selim gave a sly smile and grabbed a small tea pot from the try, pouring himself a cup.

”Effendi, we are going deep, deep into the desert to one of the tombs of the old kingdoms. Disturbed only by the Djinn for a thousand years or more; a place ancient and unknown to mortals. A place discovered by the Sitt Sahara in one of her vision quests to the land where Shaitan rules.” He took a long pensive sip at the hot steaming tea, “Legend speaks of the treasures and riches of such places, temples to the old pagan gods, tombs of their cults; dead cities lost in the sands. It will by a trying journey Effendi and before it is over command of the men may be in your hands.”

He drained the small teacup in a long sip, “I personally don’t think it shall be so dramatic as that, but the Sitt Sahara has seen and said it shall be.”Selim set the delicate cup pack on the silver food platter, “If you do not wish to come along merely give the word, though I would act otherwise. The temples may not be as dangerous as the legends say, but they are certain to be rich.”

Thanks for the background on Vatun and Nathair Sgiathach! I defiantly like the idea of Suel in the far north, I was wondering exactly where Rowyn was from, and that fills in the gap nicely. As for the Swords of Corusk, I think it would be a good plot hook but I like the idea of Rowyn making her way home to be chieftain better. But we shall see what happens, feel free to take whatever course of action you see fit, I’m very flexible!

IvoryAssassin
2012-04-19, 05:45 AM
Rowyn finishes the food before her then pours herself some tea and reluctantly drains it in one gulp and makes a face. "No offense to you or your people but I shall never care for the taste of boiled grass."
Again Rowyn finds herself pondering the words of others. A strange thing for a barbarian indeed but she needs to think this over because her people may make unforgettable weapons. Such as swords, battleaxes, knives, and pretty much anything with an edge they are not a rich people. This is because the people of Suel have no use for blades oh sure a few guards might buy but bladed objects offended the sensibilities of the nobles and mages and of the peasants what did they need a blade for it could not mine gems. So they sold to the only people who had need of blades other barbarian tribes and only for traded goods that they could not make themselves never gold. If she could go on this new quest and gather riches untold not only would she have enough gold to get back to her people but enough to buy some essential things they could not barter for.
Now to find out how long this proposed journey would take." Before I say yes or no to this offer there are a few things I must take into consideration first. Such as how long is this expedition going to last? And what is your peoples stance on magic? If it is positive do you have a mage's college near by or a mage of enough power to cast some of the greater spells? And finally who all is going on this expedition? Before you ask no I don't particularly care what type of critters we run into as long as they bleed and aren't see through.
In case you are wondering she means she can't kill anything incorporeal. Even if I cross classed into cleric I still can only hit corporeal critters. She doesn't say incorporeal because she is a barbarian of average intelligence and it isn't in her vocabulary. So I though I might warn you that you need some kind of person who can hit a incorporeal critter or someone with a magic sharp thing before you throw any of those Djinn our way. Of course I am referring to the original D&D Djinn that are air elementals also known as genies immortal bastards that can't be killed with a simple pointy object. Then there those none D&D Djinn from like the clash of the titans that are made of charwood or something IDK which ones you are talking about. Also just a fun little fact I feel compelled to tell you that really has nothing to do with D&D one of the characters in the book I am reading is named Effie just thought you should know. Oh and getting back on topic is Effindi my surname or is it some sandy peoples slang for crazy white girl? oh and one more thing I needs to tells you. I am having sooooooo much fun! I get home from work and read your post and then think like 3 hours of what to write in mine and then at work I gets the email saying someone POSTED yay! and read it and all I think about the rest of the day is my reply and I gets no work done. HEHE! SO YAY! ugh sorry I got kinda wordy there.

The Walox
2012-04-19, 02:07 PM
Another raised eyebrow followed Rowyn’s question, “A sorcerer you mean?” Selim shook his head, “I am afraid that my people do not suffer such beings to live, their magic’s and ways are but one of the tools of Shaitan. However, in this land, there are those chosen by Allah to wield the forces of the world for good. Sitt Sahara is one of these people; she shall protect us from the Djinn and demons of the desert.”

He took a small pocket watch from the sash of his robe flipped open the cover and nodded to himself, ”Where we are going I can only guess, we may spend days if not weeks traveling to the deep desert. The spirits shall not bother us as long as Sitt is with us, though the bandits may be nuisance.”

He clasped his hands in his lap giving Rowyn the benefit of his undivided attention, “Though the North Men, the Polarians as the call themselves may be the greatest threat of all. They have claimed Arulia for their own and set about with solders and archeologists, digging through the deserts searching. Searching for the great treasures of the sands, taking them away, using them for their own means; leaving us with nothing. Though of course if you come along it is only fair that you get a share to use as you see fit, I may sound like a hypocrite but understand, what my men and I will get from this one site is more than the Polarian North Men have ever given to us, and that is the truth Effendi.”

Hey! I’m glad you are having fun! I’m really enjoying myself as well, it’s nice to get play! So, to answer your question about the word Effendi, Effendi is an Arabic word that has much the same meaning as sir. It is a formal title given to show respect. So when somebody calls you Rowyn Effendi they do it as an honorary; giving you the respect demanded by your station or achievements. On a side note Efendim means my master. Also Sitt is Arabic for lady, Bokra means tomorrow and Hakim is Arabic for doctor; and now you know some Arabic!

IvoryAssassin
2012-04-20, 04:09 AM
"Well damn magic features heavily in my strategies for getting home." Rowyn's heart if it could sinks further. She has to go on this trip regardless to gain enough gold to get home. Unfortunately with magic unless divine being taboo her first plan of buying a scroll of greater teleport takes a sickle to the gut. So that leaves her last and least favorite plan. To buy a camel to get out of the dessert then sell or trade it for a horse to get back to Suel then sell or trade the horse for a sleigh and a few reindeer to take her the rest of the way to her village. While plan #2 is cheaper it takes months and months to get back. Rowyn much rather get the scroll and be there... well to be quite honest she didn't know much about magic ,just what the mages in Suel were selling at their shops on her trips with her father to the market, which was that greater teleport would get you anywhere quick.

" Bandits, Polarians whatever they call themselves they still bleed when stabbed so they should be no problem unless its only the 3 of us going then there will be problems. Since I'll need lots of gold to get back to my people you can tell your friend the Sitt that I'll be joining you on this little outing."

"But fist I need to go to your market and get some supplies. For starter I am dieing of heat stroke in these clothes and all my other clothes are made for harsh winter not harsh summer."

The Walox
2012-04-20, 12:39 PM
“Awya,” Selim replied as he stood, straightening the folds of his robe as he did so, “That would be very wise Effendi. We will be going to town early tomorrow morning before the heat of the day. The journey is not a long one, but if you would like to go earlier I would be glad to accompany you; I prefer to travel by the moon’s light anyway. It is much cooler under the stars.” He pulled a large coin purse form his sash; it was sewn from some crude heavy cloth and jingled noisily.

With a deft underhand toss he passed it to Rowyn,”This this Baksheesh, the currency of our people. There is enough in that purse to purchase whatever you need; it is a gift from the Sitt Sahara. Use it in good health; you are no use to us dead Effendi. And do not worry about going into the desert with only the Sitt and myself to accompany you. My men are coming with; to travel in the deep desert unprepared with not but three people would be suicide” He smiled good-naturedly, “Is there anything else you require?”

IvoryAssassin
2012-04-21, 02:29 AM
Rowyn catches the bag.
"Thanks, and no I don't think I have anymore questions as of right now. If I think of anything else I wish to ask you I'll do it tomorrow on our way to the marketplace."

The Walox
2012-04-21, 01:53 PM
“Sleep well Effendi. We rise early tomorrow; I shall have Aliid wake you when it is time to make our preparations. ” Selim ducked his way out of the tent with his supple feline grace, leaving Rowyn alone. The vague sounds of the camp at rest filtered through the thick canvas walls which were covered in lavish oriental tapestries and maps of the desert. The furnishings included a western style writing desk, which was swamped with papers, low tables of Arulian make, many, many rugs, an antique divan upholstered in thick red silk, several battered wooden chests, a collapsible potbellied stove and a lone cot made-up with fine linen sheets.

The immediate effect was cozy and secure, though perhaps a bit cramped as the stove required quite a bit of clear space causing the rest of the furnishings to reside against the walls. Tarnished silver lamps hung from the ceiling and as evening approached their light and warmth increased the homey feeling of the tent. The warm glow from the lamps gave a golden hue to the furnishings and artifacts; which sat about like so many ancient ornaments.

Around dusk a servant boy ushered himself in and took the highly polished coffee pot out to be filled. The smells of the desert permeated the walls as the red sun set; a musty sent of cooling sand and wood smoke from the men’s fire. Out in the distance the howl of jackals warbled through the air, ghostly haunting cries kept at bay by the sound of crackling fires, the jovial laughing of men and the occasional grumpy grunting of a camel. Other than the soft breeze and the rustling of sand all was peaceful.

IvoryAssassin
2012-04-24, 06:04 AM
Rowyn was glad Selim decided to leave because she was feeling really tired.
"I guess it's time to prepare for bed."Being in a possibly hostile environment and unable to set up a watch being alone Rowyn takes a few basic precautions. First she moves one of the small tables infront of the tent flap, cursing herself for not packing her caltrops, hoping to trip up any intruder giving her a few seconds warning to wake up to fight. Second she dons her armor even though it's hot enough to boil her because rule number 1 while on campaign or in hostile territory always sleep in your armor so that when something happens in the middle of the night you are ready to fight. Third she moves the lanterns hanging in the center of the tent to hanging right infront of the tent flap because when an intruder trips over the table he'll knock the lanterns flying cause an unholy racket sure to rouse her even in her deepest sleep. Lastly she grabs her axe lays down on the cot with it (axe) laying on her chest both hands folded over the handle. Sure if she was the type to toss and turn this could be very dangerous but she wasn't planning on going into a deep sleep she was going into a battle ready trance that would give her just enough rest to be ready to go to the marketplace at dawn. Though it wasn't as good as a full nights sleep at home she wasn't about to trust these people enough to get a good nights sleep.
Ok here are the stats as according to the players hand book. What I am doing is considered an extended rest and has to last at least 6 hours long with no interruptions to gain the benefits which are any hit points I have lost I recover the healing surges doesn't count for me cause I am not a paladin or a cleric. I recharge all my rages and action points. Now I still need to sleep at least 8 hours in the next 24 hours or I become fatigued which means character who are fatigued cannot run or charge and suffer an effective penalty of -2 to strength and dexterity. Doing an action that would cause fatigue causes exhaustion. exhaustion leads to moving at half speed and -6 to strength and dexterity. Also for future reference if I rage I become fatigued as well until I rest for 8 hours. These are 3.5 rules though I couldn't really find the fatigued rules under 4.0 though the rest and sleep rules are under 4.0. If that makes any sense to you sorry I am really tired I had to get up early today it's final season and for someone who doesn't go to sleep till 6 am getting up early is a bitch and now I am half asleep so if this doesn't make sense I apologize.

The Walox
2012-04-24, 11:43 AM
Chapter 2: The Suk

“Effendi? N,N,North Woman Effendi?” A timid adolescent voice wafted through the open tent flap wakening the light sleeper that was Rowyn. A few seconds passed and the whole tent erupted in a cacophony of sound as the spotty young servant came tumbling into the tent, upsetting the small table in front of the flap, knocking the lamps from the ceiling and finally came to a loud shuddering stop with his face planted on the potbellied stove. He was out cold.

An instant passed and Selim burst into the tent; Celtic sword in hand. He gave a bewildered pause and started to laugh a deep, deep chuckle as he thrust the sword into its scabbard. “It was only Aliid; I thought it was robbers here to cut your throat. Some of them attack at dawn as to catch one off guard.”

He stuck his head out the flap and called for men to care for the unconscious Aliid. “Effendi I trust you slept well? I am sorry you had to endure such a rude awakening. The Sitt waits for us, we shall set off when you are ready; the men shall pack up camp while we are away.” He turned his attention to the small group of men that laid Aliid out upon one of the fine rugs; giving directions, genuinely concerned for the boy.

Congratulations! Thanks to your early bedtime, the week of exhaustion in the desert and a good meal you slept a little over eight hours and are fully rested for the trails of the oncoming day!

IvoryAssassin
2012-04-26, 04:10 AM
Rowyn rose with axe in hand roaring a battle cry peculiar to the ice barbarians of Suel. Noticing that is was the young boy from earlier she cuts off and goes to examine the boy when Selim bursts in. "Actually it is I who should be apologizing for I am the one who having similar thought about bandits set a noise making trap infront of the tent flap as to awake me should anyone try to enter before dawn. I truly thought I would wake up well before anyone came for me and had the trap taken down. Poor kid I hope he doesn't have an injury."
Rowyn then puts her axe in the sheath on her back picks up her pack that inclueds the gold and slings it over her shoulder. "I have everything here in this pack. So I am ready to go when you are."

The Walox
2012-04-26, 12:11 PM
The men where bringing the boy around when Selim stood, “Awya Effendi, let us be off then.” He held the tent flap open for Rowyn as the chilly, for this place anyway, morning light wafted in through the opening. Men where bustling two and fro; disassembling tents, packing bundles, loading camels and otherwise making a racket.

Selim lead Rowyn to the edge of the camp, where more men were tending to the animals under the brilliant purple and gold sunrise. The Sitt Sahara was seated on top of a dune; fastening the many buttons of her tall boots, muttering something about inconvenient North Man fashions. A palomino Arabian horse nuzzled the sand as she finished and stood to great Selim and Rowyn.

She made her way gracefully down the dune and gave both Rowyn and Selim an energetic greeting. “Good morning! I see our guest has made it through another Arulian night without incident.”

“Not entirely Sitt,”Selim interjected, “It is a small matter involving Aliid, he is now the wiser for it; I shall tell you later.”

She raised an eyebrow, regarding Rowyn with barely concealed amusement, “Is that so? Well he shall never learn if he doesn’t encounter the odd accident. I suppose as long as he isn’t dead there is no problem.” She nodded to Selim who gave a curt bow as reply and went off to the makeshift stables.

The Sitt bade Rowyn to follow and lead her to a pen with several grumpy looking burrows.”I’m afraid that they won’t be as exciting as a sandworm but are much more forgiving than a camel. I’ll have one of the men saddle one up for you.” And with that she was off before Rowyn could comment.

IvoryAssassin
2012-04-27, 01:57 AM
Rowyn eyed the burrows warily not because she couldn't ride, she could but in her neck of the woods they rode sleds attached to reindeer not burrows, and these burrows looked like some temperamental old bastards. "Oh well I am sure one of you and I will get on just fine." So Rowyn stood by the pen waiting to be told which animal was hers.
I do have ride and handle animal if you wish me to role either check just let me know.

The Walox
2012-04-27, 12:29 PM
Selim arrived a moment later with a stable boy and saddle. The boy fastened the contraption to one of the more placid beasts; it eyed Rowyn temperamentally, as though accusing her for the saddle. Selim led the disgusted burrow to Rowyn while the stable lad saddled his black Arabian.

“For you Effendi our most gentle Burrow, “it looked murderous, “I do hope for all of our sake that the two of you get along.” He handed Rowyn some carrots, and gave her a chance to make friends with the grumpy creature.

When the stable attendant arrived with Selim’s horse he mounted it in one fluid, graceful motion. “Effendi, I trust you need no aid, yes?” The burrow seemed to be daring Rowyn to climb into the saddle.

Its alright, I won’t make you roll a riding check unless you have to do something fancy or unless you are in the middle of combat. Which I guess would also be something fancy.

IvoryAssassin
2012-04-28, 03:50 AM
Rowyn takes the carrots and hands one to the burrow."Okay listen you. I don't want to ride you and you don't want to be ridden so we're even. I don't like you and you don't like me so we're even again. That carrot you just got is your pay for taking me to this Suk a second one to be received upon flawless completion of your duties which are as follows. 1) You do not attempt to dislodge me in anyway shape or form. 2) you keep up pace with the rest of the party no lollygagging or head long sprints. 3)You carry me to and from the Suk along with anything I may or may not purchase while I am there. That is all. Now failure to comply with my demands will result in 1 of 3 results. 1) I eat your damned carrot myself. or 2) I bash you between the eyes. or 3) a combination of 1 and 2. Agreed?" Rowyn shows the burrow the second carrot and then stuffs it in her pocket. "Good"

Rowyn then mounts the burrow in one fluid motion. " Alright Selim I think sir burrow and I have come to an agreement so let us be off."

Just because this is the only time I will ever get to use this useless skill I roll a handle animal check and get a 22 to calm and possibly befriend mr. grouchypants. Also I had a question I just thought of are these people speaking my native tongue or do I know theirs or is everyone just speaking common? It is mildly important because if we are speaking their language or common the whole conversation with the burrow is in Rowyns native language. Also unless it's common I will probably need a translator in this marketplace place. Ooh and one more question is the currency standard D&D currency as in 1 Platinum piece
= 100 gold pieces and 1 gold piece = 10 silver pieces and 1 silver piece = 10 copper pieces and gems are worth approx. 275gp but can be more or less dependent on quality/size and must be appraised? Oh and btw since in my pm to you it says craft unknown I would like you to know I changed that to craft weapons. Crafting rules are no where to be found in 4.0 books so I'm looking at pages70-71 in the players handbook 3.5 But basically I what it boils down to is I need a fire(like a forge) and raw materials. Raw materials cost 1/3 of the items price uh well actually it all is rather complicated and requires lots of math and dice rolling so if you want to know the full length version of it I'll just copy it and email it to you if you don't have a 3.5 book. So if I don't make enough gold I can sell weapons assuming I can buy the materials in the Suk and get a hot enough fire going.

The Walox
2012-05-12, 12:59 PM
The small grey burrow rather grumpily condescends to Rowyn’s wishes and sets off after Selim and the Sitt in an agreeable trot. The morning desert sun shines overhead and the slight breezes that stir the sands are still cool to the skin; though their arid touch still dries the skin.

The Sitt takes point remaining silent while Selim tells Rowyn all about his home. The ride takes two hours and by the time the small party arrives at the blue tiled walls of El Wadi Pasha the sun had regained its blistering fire.
El Wadi Pasha was a country town of considerable size. Tall buildings and pointed minarets are just visible over the wall. Cutting through the city is the mighty Bokra River; feeding the fertile valley and farms that surround the city walls.

Once through the mighty gate the small band of travelers is engulfed by the heavy stream of traffic flowing through the streets. These thoroughfares are the arteries of the city and here and there and everywhere, someone was trying to sell something.

Soon though, after an hour of fighting traffic the small claustrophobic streets opened up onto a massive street. This particular alley has roofed with countless awnings, giving its visitors shelter from the sun. Like all streets in El Wadi Pasha, it was packed with people. People buying people selling. The selection of goods for sale in this street was staggering, jewelry, swords, bows, fruit, cotton and silk robes, meat –though it was swarming with flies, something that didn’t seem to bother the shoppers- fine leather sandals and of course slaves of all descriptions.

Amidst the cacophony of shouts and braying animals Selim and the Sitt dismounted near the awninged front of what looked to be a large hotel. After a few words with Selim in private the Sitt departed into the crowd. He turned his attention to Rowyn, “Here we are the suk! Anything you could ever want and more! Would you like my company while you browse Effendi?”

Okay! The rules for currency work just dandy for me! And I like the smiting idea too; though I imagine that no smith is going to let you use their forge so you’ll have to get creative. As for languages I figure that Rowyn learned fluent Arabic while she was in her drunken coma; just so as not to disrupt the flow of the story, I figured it would just be easier this way.

IvoryAssassin
2012-05-15, 04:22 AM
Rowyn just stares and stares she has never seen anything this big the market in Suel is only about half this size. ""Uh... Yeah I'd really appreciate someone on the lookout for cutpurses and such someone who knows this place better than I do. If you don't mind."Rowyn slowly turns taking this big scene in and emits a low whistle " This place sure is big... I guess we should start with clothing a little more suited to this cursed hot weather, then so weapons all I have for weapons is my axe I could use some caltrops yes indeed caltrops is what I need. Some more rations would probably be good as well. Ah hell... I just realized that this is a new axe I haven't taken into town yet to have it enchanted or blessed...and me being somewheres they don't allow magic...Damn! As she says this Rowyn slaps herself on the forehead.
Ah it is times like these I miss Skyrim most. No free forges and no enchanting tables.

The Walox
2012-05-15, 12:17 PM
“Of course Effendi! That is a wise first choice; I would hate for you to develop heat stroke.” Selim sets off on a confident course to one of the more crowded areas of the Suk. He pauses here and there moving people out of his way with a deft touch; taking his time so Rowyn may keep up.

The shop, and the stall in front of it, is among the largest in the marketplace. Heavy white robes, filmy vales sandals, boot and airy garments of every description hang from the rafters and lay in orderly stacks on the available surfaces. Tailors rush to and fro attending to their customers, who outnumber them ten to one.

Master of the scene is an absurdly corpulent fellow in shining blue robes, wearing the trappings of his trade as ornaments. “Abdullah!” Selim shouted over the cacophony of the Suk, “See Effendi? This is Abdullah the finest tailor in Aruliea. He does his work well but don’t let him bully you.”

The fat man waddled over to Selim and Rowyn and embraced the former in a tight hug. Once he released Selim he appraised Rowyn frowning. His voice was high and breathy and one had to strain their ears to hear him. “Selim who is this, a new wife certainly not?” His nostrils quivered,” North Woman I thought so.”

“Abdullah!”Selim shouted anger leaving dangerous dark shadows across his well cut features, “She is our guest in this land, we must treat her with courtesy and respect. She rode Shiatan to death in the scorching wadis of our homes forlorn sands, she is more man that anyone in this market, YOU WILL be polite to her; it is only proper courtesy. Now, as you can see Effendi is ill equipped for our climate you must see to it that she gets what she wants.”

At the mentioning of the sandworm the color drains from Abdullah’s face. He stutters a bit and regains his composure, “Of course, of course, what you like me to make for you most revered Effendi?”

IvoryAssassin
2012-05-17, 02:48 AM
" I would like a tunic for starters. Actually it is easier to tell you what I don't want. I don't want skin tight anything, none of these flimsy veils either, nothing bulky it has to fit under my armor, and for the love of whatever god you find holy do not make it warm! As for color I don't particularly care if you could make it blend in with the sands great if not I am not going to complain. The same rules for the tunic apply for the trews. I hope I am not demanding to much everybody pretty much wears the same thing at home fur lined leather tunic with over coat and fur lined leather trews otherwise you'd freeze. Oh and if you could I'd like at least 2 pair if the price is right 3." Rowyn then proceeds to grab the pouch of gold from inside her haversack ready to pay the man once he names his price.
AIE! MY EYES THEY BURN! No but seriously that yellow is really really hard to read if you could refrain from using that color mine eyes would smile upon you. hehe kinda lika pun there. Sorry. :)

The Walox
2012-05-20, 05:52 PM
The corpulent tailor nods as gives his hands a single clap. At this call four young assistants rush forward from the depths of his stalls and politely begin to take Rowyn’s measurements. After ten minutes of waiting the young crowd returns with the requested garments.

“As you no doubt noticed my tailors are the fleetest in the land,” Abdullah’s chest was puffed out with pride,” as well as the finest of all seamsmen. My wares area fit for a Sheik!”Upon Rowyn’s inspection of the lightweight yet durable and practical garb wrought by the hands of Abdullah’s men’s nimble hands she found his claims to be true.

For simplicities sake let’s just say that the new cloths you bought offer the same protection as the old. Oh! and the yellow hurt my eyes too!

IvoryAssassin
2012-05-31, 04:52 AM
Rowyn examines the clothes and finds them to be to her taste. " Alright I see that you make a fine product but can you give me a fine price as well?" Rowyn who often went on trading forays with her father likes this part best, getting the best price possible without leaving the merchant feeling cheated.
How much gold is in that pouch they gave me? Sorry for not posting sooner my puppy hurted himself and he had to have surgery so I have been working double shifts to pay for the way to expensive medical care and even though I don't do anything physical when I get home I am bushed and didn't feel like thinking up a new post.