PDA

View Full Version : Random Character Generator (WIP)

Snowbluff
2012-04-01, 08:48 PM
A short introduction: I was bored, so here's something I am messing with. A just for fun set of rules/tables for making a character from scratch. The idea is for people to have fun with silly builds while solving problems creatively with what they ended up with.

So far we have is:

1) For humour. Rolling a Wizard with Imp Unarmed

2)First set of roles with either be your Base Class Tier or your role (Arcane, ranged, etc). Still voting on this.

3)Your background will be assembled from the rolls you make. For example, you get Elven DFA, you grew up eating a lot of chili peppers and it inspired you. Silly stuff like that.

4) We seriously need a way to do feats. I'm thinking we number the books, you roll for which book. After that you roll d% for which feat you get in the book. If you don't qualify for the feat, roll again.

5) The idea is that you do it in 3 level packets (1 packet for each feat).

6) Rolling for traits + flaws? Yes? No?

Snowbluff
2012-04-01, 08:49 PM
Reserved for possible table nesting.

Grinner
2012-04-01, 08:52 PM
Let's start off simple by sticking to either the core rulebooks or the SRD.

Edit: Once we have a system established, we can add in material from supplemental books. On that note, we also need to find a list of WotC official books.

Snowbluff
2012-04-01, 09:03 PM
Let's start off simple by sticking to either the core rulebooks or the SRD.

Edit: Once we have a system established, we can add in material from supplemental books. On that note, we also need to find a list of WotC official books.

We'll just start by sticking to the PHB, as the DMG and MM have few options for players regardless.

The first set of categories I am thinking of is splitting it by mechanics, having Divine Casters (Cleric, Druid, Paladin), Arcane (Wiz/Sorc), Skill (Rogues, Monks?), and Bruiser (Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger, Monk?). Later, as we add material, Manifesters, Initiators, Invokers, Binder (does it need its own catergory?), and Meldshaper will be added.

Zombulian
2012-04-01, 09:25 PM
I am intrigued! Unfortunately I have no idea how to help with this. But I am happy to sit and watch :smallbiggrin:

Grinner
2012-04-01, 09:48 PM
The first set of categories I am thinking of is splitting it by mechanics, having Divine Casters (Cleric, Druid, Paladin), Arcane (Wiz/Sorc), Skill (Rogues, Monks?), and Bruiser (Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger, Monk?). Later, as we add material, Manifesters, Initiators, Invokers, Binder (does it need its own catergory?), and Meldshaper will be added.

Disagreed. The problem with this approach is that many classes tend to combine aspects of these categories. The Bard, Spellthief, and Swashbuckler come to mind immediately.

I would either go with the tiers idea, or create an alphabetized list of classes and divide it into separate lists as necessary.

Something like this:

Classes: Roll d10
1. Barbarian
2. Bard
3. Cleric
4. Druid
5. Fighter
6. Monk
7. Ranger
8. Rogue
9. Sorceror
10. Wizard

We don't really need an all-inclusive framework from the beginning.

Snowbluff
2012-04-01, 10:16 PM
I am intrigued! Unfortunately I have no idea how to help with this. But I am happy to sit and watch :smallbiggrin:

It's alright. To be honest, I like knowing you're onboard. :smallcool:

We don't really need an all-inclusive framework from the beginning.

You're right, I'm thinking in leaps and bounds. We'll start with your way then work our way up.

Madcrafter
2012-04-01, 10:31 PM
Just stumbled on this and thought you could possibly use this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_classes). Then again, you are focusing on core, so maybe not. I would think you might want to not bother rolling for tier and role, (unless you have some reason to), and just skip straight to class.

Rejusu
2012-04-02, 05:01 AM
If you get anywhere with this I could look into codifying it into convenient software form. The way I'm thinking about it the logic could be fairly simple, the only real grunt work would be creating the data needed to power it. I was actually thinking that such a thing could be a useful DM tool for quickly statting out NPC's and mooks.

Grinner
2012-04-02, 08:44 AM
If you get anywhere with this I could look into codifying it into convenient software form. The way I'm thinking about it the logic could be fairly simple, the only real grunt work would be creating the data needed to power it. I was actually thinking that such a thing could be a useful DM tool for quickly statting out NPC's and mooks.

Actually...quite a few programs like that already exist... :smallfrown:

The main draw of this is the intended background generation. You're also forgetting about UI design, extensible character options, and character sheets. I don't want to discourage you. I just want to put things in perspective.

Elemental
2012-04-02, 09:24 AM
The only problem I see so far is that there are eleven classes in the Player's Handbook.
So, the list should look like this:

Class: Roll d12:

Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Wizard
Roll again (or something)

Grinner
2012-04-02, 10:23 AM
The only problem I see so far is that there are eleven classes in the Player's Handbook.

:redface:

Anyway, here's the core races and base classes. I've also done the skills, but I'm just not up to tabling them at the moment.

Races:
{TABLE=head]Chance|Race|Description

1-14|
Human|
--|

15-28|
Dwarf|
--|

29-42|
Elf|
--|

43-56|
Gnome|
--|

57-70|
Half-Elf|
--|

71-84|
Half-Orc|
--|

85-98|
Halfing|
--|

99-100|
Reroll|
--|
[/TABLE]

Classes:
{TABLE=head]Chance|Race|Description

1-9|
Barbarian|
--|

10-18|
Bard|
--|

19-27|
Cleric|
--|

28-36|
Druid|
--|

37-45|
Fighter|
--|

46-54|
Monk|
--|

55-63|
Paladin|
--|

64-72|
Ranger|
--|

73-81|
Rogue|
--|

82-90|
Sorceror|
--|

91-99|
Wizard|
--|

100|
Reroll|
--|
[/TABLE]

Rejusu
2012-04-02, 10:42 AM
Actually...quite a few programs like that already exist... :smallfrown:

The main draw of this is the intended background generation. You're also forgetting about UI design, extensible character options, and character sheets. I don't want to discourage you. I just want to put things in perspective.

Don't take this the wrong way but software development is what I do for a living, I'm fully aware of what such a tool might entail and I already have some ideas about how I might approach it. I think I've got plenty of perspective on the matter already. Creating a simple and effective UI design is easy enough, character sheets are so simple they can be done using the most basic functions of Microsoft Excel, and character options are mainly just grunt work.

Implementing the decision logic for such a tool is relatively straight forward as I said before. But the real effort lies in the fact in converting all the data needed to power it into a format that can be parsed and easily understood by the software. Because of how many character options there is, it's no simple task.

I mean just as an example something like "Improved Trip" could be expressed as:

<Feat>

<Name>Improved Trip</Name>
<Type>General</Type>
<Category>Melee Combat</Category>
<Prerequisites>

<AbilityScores>

<Int>13</Int>
</AbilityScores>
<Feat>Combat Expertise</Feat>
</Prerequisites>
</Feat>

When looking for feats to add the software might random this, examine the prerequsities, see that the character doesn't meet them and look for another feat. Similarly it'd be a simple bit of logic for the generator to follow feat chains as well. But again the real work is converting everything into a format that the software knows how to examine.

Grinner
2012-04-02, 10:59 AM
Don't take this the wrong way but software development is what I do for a living, I'm fully aware of what such a tool might entail and I already have some ideas about how I might approach it. I think I've got plenty of perspective on the matter already. Creating a simple and effective UI design is easy enough, character sheets are so simple they can be done using the most basic functions of Microsoft Excel, and character options are mainly just grunt work.

I'm just reminding you that software projects, especially ones done solo, are never as simple as they seem at first.

By character sheets, I meant something a little more formatted. Like the one featured in the PHB. SDL or SFML will probably be able to handle that well enough.

Implementing the decision logic for such a tool is relatively straight forward as I said before. But the real effort lies in the fact in converting all the data needed to power it into a format that can be parsed and easily understood by the software. Because of how many character options there is, it's no simple task.

If you're using XML, a good AutoIt or Perl script can do wonders.

Snowbluff
2012-04-02, 02:05 PM
I'm glad this is taking off ^^

Yeah, I was thinking about it being programmed or not, but I only know a tiny amount of python (Read: Hello World!). Dice should suffice, especially considering not all tables are playing with computers out all the time like mine.

Side note, silly descriptors need. Nothing NSFW, as per the rules of the site and the last campaign I played involved the BoEF and might have damaged my ability to have relationships. XD

Larkas
2012-04-02, 02:39 PM
We'll just start by sticking to the PHB, as the DMG and MM have few options for players regardless.

Aw, shucks... It would be priceless rolling a Commoner with Multiattack! Though Multiattack does require 3 or more natural attacks... Okay, then, a Half-green dragon forest gnome commoner with Multiattack!

...Hmmm, okay, maybe that's WAY too silly :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, great project, can't wait to see where this is going!

Snowbluff
2012-04-02, 08:07 PM
Aw, shucks... It would be priceless rolling a Commoner with Multiattack! Though Multiattack does require 3 or more natural attacks... Okay, then, a Half-green dragon forest gnome commoner with Multiattack!

...Hmmm, okay, maybe that's WAY too silly :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, great project, can't wait to see where this is going!

YEah, part the inspiration is hilariously bad chars, as well as class-salads like my avatar, who's a Swordsage/Warblade/UrPriest/Crusader/RKV etc...:smallwink:

Rejusu
2012-04-03, 07:31 AM
I'm just reminding you that software projects, especially ones done solo, are never as simple as they seem at first.

Once again, well aware. :smalltongue:

I don't think it'd be a walk in the park, but I don't think it'd be incredibly difficult either. Since it'd be a system based largely on random chance the decision logic would be relatively straight forward. The challenge is providing the data for it to make decisions based on. Also if we were talking about a system to generate characters that are actually playable (as opposed to the technically playable truly random generated characters) that ups the complexity a bit.

If you're using XML, a good AutoIt or Perl script can do wonders.

Automation can only do so much sadly. You'd be able to parse out the obvious things like ability score requirements, name and type. But you'd need a more complicated script to sift out the other prerequisites.

Larkas
2012-04-03, 08:04 AM
YEah, part the inspiration is hilariously bad chars, as well as class-salads like my avatar, who's a Swordsage/Warblade/UrPriest/Crusader/RKV etc...:smallwink:

Hahahaha, awesome! Love the avatar, by the way :smallbiggrin:

playswithfire
2012-04-03, 10:54 PM
I don't think it'd be a walk in the park, but I don't think it'd be incredibly difficult either. Since it'd be a system based largely on random chance the decision logic would be relatively straight forward. The challenge is providing the data for it to make decisions based on. Also if we were talking about a system to generate characters that are actually playable (as opposed to the technically playable truly random generated characters) that ups the complexity a bit.
One idea I had that I think should be effective, fairly simple, and easily extensible the last time I kicked around ideas for (pseudo-)randomly generating characters that make sense and are playable (never actually got too far into the code) would be to have Adjectives and Professions.
Adjectives (sneaky, clever, tough, pious, etc) would be associated with classes, feats, and skills
Professions (bartender, soldier, politician, priest) would also be associated with classes, feats, and skills
Not sure whether to associate Adjectives with Professions or vice-versa; probably the latter, each Profession having some number of Adjectives that stereotypically apply to members of that profession.

You could then have a Character class with four constructors (I'll be speaking in Java-ish pseudocode since Java's most of what I do)
Character(){
this(getRandomProfession())
}
Character(Profession profession){
this(profession, profession.getAdjectiveSubset())
}
Character(Collection<Adjective> adjectives){
this(Profession.chooseByAdjective(adjectives),adje ctives)
}
Character(Profession profession, Collection<Adjective> adjectives){
//generate character name using Random seeded with time
//establish a random seeded with name.hashCode()
}
and then the choice of classes/feats/skills will be weighted both by what's possible and what is consistent with the character's profession and adjectives.
Any time you need a new adjective or profession, you just have to associate it with the classes/feats/skills that seem appropriate. Though, each addition will result in characters with the same inputs not being the same result as they did before the change, since it will affect the probability distribution for each pseudorandom choice.

Empedocles
2012-04-03, 10:58 PM
Just want to say I'm watching this idea intensely. I know a teeny bit about spreadsheets and programming, but I don't really have the time to help out more directly. Good luck!

Grinner
2012-04-04, 01:15 AM
Skills are up. In case it's not obvious, if you roll Craft, Perform, or Profession, you need to reroll on their respective charts to determine the exact variety of the skill you receive.

Also, we are in need of funnymen and funnywomen. I'm afraid my comedy kills.

Skills:
{TABLE=head]Chance|Skill|Description

1-2|
Appraise|
--|

3-4|
Balance|
--|

5-6|
Bluff|
--|

7-8|
Climb|
--|

9-10|
Concentration|
--|

11-12|
Craft() *|
--|

13-14|
Decipher Script|
--|

15-16|
Diplomacy|
--|

17-18|
Disable Device|
--|

19-20|
Disguise|
--|

21-22|
Escape Artist|
--|

23-24|
Forgery|
--|

25-26|
Gather Information|
--|

27-28|
Handle Animal|
--|

29-30|
Heal|
--|

31-32|
Hide|
--|

33-34|
Intimidate|
--|

35-36|
Jump|
--|

37-38|
Knowledge(Arcana)|
--|

39-40|
Knowledge(Architecture and Engineering)|
--|

41-42|
Knowledge(Dungeoneering)|
--|

43-44|
Knowledge(Geography)|
--|

45-46|
Knowledge(History)|
--|

47-48|
Knowledge(Local)|
--|

49-50|
Knowledge(Nature)|
--|

51-52|
Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty)|
--|

53-54|
Knowledge(Religion)|
--|

55-56|
Knowledge(The Planes)|
--|

57-58|
Listen|
--|

59-60|
Move Silently|
--|

61-62|
Open Lock|
--|

63-64|
Perform () **|
--|

65-66|
Profession () ***|
--|

67-68|
Ride|
--|

69-70|
Search|
--|

71-72|
Sense Motive|
--|

73-74|
Sleight of Hand|
--|

75-76|
Speak Language|
--|

77-78|
Spellcraft|
--|

79-80|
Spot|
--|

81-82|
Survival|
--|

83-84|
Swim|
--|

85-86|
Tumble|
--|

87-88|
Use Magic Device|
--|

89-90|
Use Rope|
--|

91-100|
Reroll|
--|
[/TABLE]

Craft*:

1-5|
Alchemy|
--|

6-10|
Armorsmithing|
--|

11-15|
Basketweaving|
--|

16-20|
Bookbinding|
--|

21-25|
Bowmaking|
--|

26-30|
Blacksmithing|
--|

31-35|
Calligraphy|
--|

36-40|
Carpentry|
--|

41-45|
Cobbling|
--|

46-50|
Gemcutting|
--|

51-55|
Leatherworking|
--|

56-60|
Locksmithing|
--|

61-65|
Painting|
--|

66-70|
Pottery|
--|

71-75|
Sculpting|
--|

76-80|
Shipmaking|
--|

81-85|
Stonemasonry|
--|

86-90|
Trapmaking|
--|

91-95|
Weaponsmithing|
--|

96-100|
Weaving|
--|
[/TABLE]

Perform**:

1-11|
Act|
--|

12-22|
Comedy|
--|

23-33|
Dance|
--|

34-44|
Keyboard instruments|
--|

45-55|
Oratory|
--|

56-66|
Percussion instruments|
--|

67-77|
String instruments|
--|

78-88|
Wind instruments|
--|

89-99|
Sing|
--|

100|
Reroll|
--|
[/TABLE]

Profession***:

1-4|
Apothecary|
--|

5-8|
Boater|
--|

9-12|
Bookkeeper|
--|

13-16|
Brewer|
--|

17-20|
Cook|
--|

21-24|
Driver|
--|

25-28|
Farmer|
--|

29-32|
Fisher|
--|

33-36|
Guide|
--|

37-40|
Herbalist|
--|

41-44|
Herder|
--|

45-48|
Hunter|
--|

49-52|
Innkeeper|
--|

53-56|
Lumberjack|
--|

57-60|
Miller|
--|

61-64|
Miner|
--|

65-68|
Porter|
--|

69-72|
Rancher |
--|

73-76|
Sailor|
--|

77-80|
Scribe|
--|

81-84|
Siege Engineer|
--|

85-88|
Stablehand|
--|

89-92|
Tanner|
--|

93-96|
Teamster|
--|

97-100|
Woodcutter|
--|
[/TABLE]

Snowbluff
2012-04-04, 07:09 PM
Woodcutters are lumberjacks, and they're okay.

Rogues stole the guard's sweet roll.

If we ever get the Factotum class, the Factotum spent 6 years in college before choosing his major: Everything.

Zale
2012-04-04, 07:23 PM
Rogues stole the guard's sweet roll.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/blogs/thenextgreatgeneration/arrowtothekneeflowchart.png

Snowbluff
2012-04-04, 07:39 PM
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/blogs/thenextgreatgeneration/arrowtothekneeflowchart.png

Sorry, I had to make at least one. I'm not fond of Skyrim references, but we're desperate here. Do you have a more serious silly comment, something timeless like the lumberjack song?

Zale
2012-04-04, 07:48 PM
Serious?

http://media3.teenormous.com/items/ih3.redbubble.net/work.2954331.1.fc-550x550-white.v3.jpg

Grinner
2012-04-04, 08:37 PM
Right...How about this. Instead of making jokes, each roll will provide a biographical detail about the character. With any luck, players will roll Fighters with law degrees.

Snowbluff
2012-04-04, 09:45 PM
Serious?

http://media3.teenormous.com/items/ih3.redbubble.net/work.2954331.1.fc-550x550-white.v3.jpg

Your hipocrisy has been noted!

As for the jokes, the idea was to put a little humor behind this. The lumberjack thing is fine by itself, but many things don't have to be made into a joke to be humorous. The juxtaposition of being a lawyer along with most things is good for laughs without the lawyer profession given its own silly description.