PDA

View Full Version : The Multiversal Guild: Dungeon Scrubbers; Headquarters

nersxe
2012-04-01, 11:43 PM
Saying the Guildplane is a strange place is a bit like saying lycanthropes and the Church of the Silver Flame don't get along, in that only a select subset of people will understand what you mean, but more like saying that meeting a divinity was overwhelming, in that anyone can understand exactly what you mean as soon as they experience it for themselves.

Guildplane is larger than any metropolis; finite and yet ever-expanding and ever-changing. Doors to everywhere and nowhere appear, disappear, move and label themselves without warning. All the main sections of the Guildplane are accessed through arches or see-through doors so that none of the rookie Guildmembers get lost, and many members are willing to redirect anyone who asks politely in Common.

The Dungeon Scrubbers of the Guild have their own, smaller dorm set off to the side of the main dorm, with single beds and footlockers keyed to their marks, instead of the bunk beds found in the main dorm. The majority of rookie members start here before paying the 50gp fee to get their own room, and unlike the main dorm, there's a low-grade silence spell cast over the entire room, to make sleeping easier.

Though the Guildplane has no concrete day or night, there is a time when most of the administrators and handlers seem to be awake and handling business, and that time is now.

Keara Nyas (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=385442), Subito Dryadsong (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=386030), Rudin Zethran (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=385482), Corwin Tischbourne (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=323245), and Vincent Karnez (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=385644) have all been individually notified that they are coming up very soon in the Dungeon Scrubber rotation, but are free until called on. Their marks will warm for six seconds to notify them of their summons, and then they are to report to the briefing room to be given their assignment. Other Guildmembers are free to do what they please.

Golden Ladybug
2012-04-02, 01:27 AM
Keara anxiously sat cross-legged on her bed, chewing on a stray strand of her long red hair absent-mindedly. It wasn't that she was worried, or at least that was what she tried to tell herself as she obsessed over the condition of her Bow and riffled through the content of her pack. She was just...

Okay, she was a little bit worried.

The Whisper Gnome began to pull out arrows, one by one, inspecting the wooden shafts for damage, and straightening the flights here and there. Bjorn had failed miserably at teaching her woodcraft, but everything he'd taught her about the bow, she had absorbed like a sponge. She scowled at the memory of their lessons; the old man had been a tough teacher.

She continued inspecting her arrows, but with less focus than she had before. Out of the corner of her eye, she looked out into the dorm shared by all the (junior, or so she assumed) members of the Multiversal Guild's "Dungeon Scrubbers". She grinned a little, a small sense of belonging filling her. There was a sense of camaraderie in this room, a band of brothers and sisters together against the terrors of the multiverse, ready to stand by each other and do what had to be done. And she was a part of it!

Well, once she worked up the courage to talk to someone she would be...and when she didn't use her Silence and run away when people tried to talk to her. The Whisper Gnome grimaced. In hindsight, she probably hadn't made a very good first impression.

But that would change, today! She was on duty today; time to go out on her first mission ever, with a team of people who could be from anywhere. They would become best friends, thick as thieves, and defeat any threats or challenges that stood in their way!

Yes, that is how it will happen she mused, cheerfully checking the last of her Arrows, just as the Mark on her foot began to heat up.

She grinned, and packed up her belongings. It was time.

OOC: Okay, a bit of insight into Keara's thought processes and personality to start us off.

This is going to be so much fun, I just know it :smallsmile:

nersxe
2012-04-02, 01:39 AM
OOC: That was cute. :) And I'll count this as your readycheck. Whenever you're prepared to enter the briefing room, there will be an NPC waiting for you and the other PCs.

Wolven86
2012-04-02, 08:20 AM
Rudin sits cross-legged on his bed, his eyes closed in quiet contemplation. Under his breath he murmurs a short prayer to Fharlanghn.

May all those who walk under your gaze find peace and solace in their journeys, Fharlanghn. Give me the strength to protect those under my care that we may wander further and seek new horizons.

Rudin opens his eyes and looks around the room glancing at each of his companions and smiling, these were the men and women with whom he'd explore the unknown, he was looking forwards to it.

Absently he scratched at his face, it took him a few moments to realise his face was getting warm, the smile turned into a grin, it was time there was not a moment to lose. Rudin quickly straps on his pack, scoops up his staff and places his hat firmly on his head.

Keara looked as eager as he did, a good change from the quiet gnome from earlier.

Shall we go then? Would be a shame to keep waiting when there is adventure to be had!

OOPWER
2012-04-02, 10:36 AM
Corwin is quiet, neither speaking nor being spoken to, and it suits him just fine. All that matters, everything that he has dedicated himself to, is in his own and before him: his swordcraft.

His rapier in the right hand, he slowly moved it through a practice routine, imagining how most normal opponents moved and how to move against them. The blade whispered through the air, and he could almost here it tell him what to do.

A parry here, a parry there. This next one will graze your hair. Here I was, but now where?

The conclusion of his little poem left the blade in its sheath and his shoulder growing warm. The fellow with the staff seemed cheerful enough to invite everyone along. Corwin thought that he could care less. In his years as a petty thief turned duelist, adventures always turned into danger with little to no reward. Maybe the Guild's "adventures" would be different. Maybe.

"I'm going."

Tegannie
2012-04-02, 10:52 AM
Naliana looks at those around her with jealosy as her mark stays cold.

"Good luck!" she says to those leaving, and lays down to sleep, disappointed that she doesn't get to go yet, but relieved that she has more time to prepare...and sleep.

ChaoticBroth
2012-04-02, 03:41 PM
I'll be using this as Vincent's color.

Vincent as awake and fully dressed, but was lying on top of his bed, and stared at the ceiling. Slowly, he felt his mark warm up, clearly indicating that he should probably leave for the briefing room.

Hmm, I suppose I could bind one of them right now, but I doubt it would help. I mean, the mark's warm, so I guess I'll have a mission today. Looks like I'll probably have to pull out Savnok today, but that probably depends on my team...

After stretching and hoisting himself off the bed, Vincent slipped on his boots, fastened his cloak over his leather armor, and slipped his haversack over it. He picked up his morningstar from the footlocker by his bed, leaving practically no trace that anyone was using this particular bed, aside from the man-shaped crease in the bed.

Since Vincent didn't know any members of his new squad particularly well - he had only heard their names mentioned once or twice - he decided to head straight for the briefing room, without too much delay.

Villskap
2012-04-02, 05:12 PM
Having made sure that all his equipment was checked and adjusted, Subito walked out into the common room with a parchment envelope in his hand. Sealing it with the tiny mark which the postman had ensured him would see it safely to the right place on the right plane, he gave a polite nod to everyone as he passed through.

"We begin our day of work together, companions." he said in his own tongue without thinking.

"Eh, good morning." he amended after a brief pause.

Common was not a language he was used to speaking before he joined the guild. He walked out the door and found the mailbox, dropping his letter in the appropriate part. He only just stepped back inside, resigning himself to wait until he was called, when his hand suddenly felt warm, and everyone was standing up to go.

nersxe
2012-04-02, 06:33 PM
The energy in the Dungeon Scrubbers Guild is almost a tangible thing, an electric current darting between five Guildmembers, a lesser version jumping to their brothers- and sisters-in-arms.

As the five marks heat, reminding their bearers that it is time to gather their party and venture forth, Swiftrunner, a catfolk woman who has been in the Guild much too long to be staying in the dorms by anything but choice, smiles knowingly. "Good luck on your venture," she offers, "and stay together. You never know what lurks beyond the road's next fork."

Subito's letter disappears with a tiny puff of smoke into the mailbox, the sight going unremarked as the five adventurers emerged into the dorms proper.

The main dorm of the Guild bustled with people coming, going and trying to sleep. Most tried to be considerate of their sleeping fellows - the most visible example being a half-ogre literally tip-toeing through the aisles - but with as much motion as was currently in sight, it was lucky the Guild also sold earplugs, or most people in the main dorms wouldn't get much sleep.

Hallways in the Guild were busy as always, full of people entering and exiting the many doors, discussing, arguing, and a few performing, hoping to get a few coins from their fellows. It was only a short distance to the maze of briefing rooms, and the two rooms clearly marked "Dungeon Scrubbers Briefing Room" shortly came into view.

One of the briefing rooms is dim, the translucent door showing no one inside, and the other is lit to a level deemed comfortable to most sentient races, with a broad-shouldered human male standing at the briefing table, awaiting his charges.

Golden Ladybug
2012-04-03, 03:49 AM
Waving nervously at the other four whose marks had called them into action, and waiting for them all to exit before following them, Keara trailed behind the group, sticking in the shadows as much as possible

what are you doing, Keara? I thought you wanted to make friends? She mentally berated herself. She steeled herself to step forward and introduce herself to the rest of her group. Before she could, however, their walk had taken them to the entrance to the briefing room.

She'd introduce herself to the others later, she decided. But might as well use all that courage she'd gathered for something...

"Um, hi, our Marks started to heat up and, um, they told me that meant we had a mission, so we should come here" The Gnome stuttered nervously to the Human, with a half-smile on her face.

Wolven86
2012-04-03, 04:20 PM
Rudin walks into the briefing room alongside the others and stands against the wall. He is about to speak and stops surprised as the gnome speaks up nervously.

We are all here aren't we?

Rudin looks around.

Might as well get started.

Villskap
2012-04-03, 04:22 PM
Subito entered along with the others and held up his left hand as he passed the Gnome. "Same thing." was all he said with a slightly awkward smile, showing that he wasn't really certain how to address the man.
Hanging his bow over the back of a chair, he took a seat at the table, and waited.

ChaoticBroth
2012-04-03, 06:44 PM
Vincent was already seated at the table by the time the others arrived, given that he had left the dorms before them. He glanced around at his new companions, taking a brief note of each of them before glancing back at the man who was probably going to brief them.

"So, what's our first assignment going to be?"

All I'm hoping is that it's going to be something where I get some good fun. Maybe bind Savnok and call it a day.

nersxe
2012-04-03, 11:32 PM
OOPWER didn't post with Corwin's action, so the DM controls him for this turn.

Corwin slouched into the room last, leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed over his chest.

The human snorted at the comments directed toward him, muttering something derogatory under his breath that none of the five understood. He fell heavily into a seat, stretching out his long, greaved legs in front of him and taking a piece of parchment out of a pouch at his waist.

"Keara Nyas, Subito Dryadsong, Rudin Zethran, Corwin Tischbourne and Vincent Karnez," he glanced at each of them from over the parchment, his head bobbing as he counted to make sure there were five of them, "you are hereby assigned to investigate and cleanse an underground structure in Donjon." He looked at them all again, his eyes lingering on the gnome. "Go to Heimdall, tell him you're going to Donjon, and the waystation attendant will have a map for you."

"Any questions?" He asked, leaning back in his chair, bare chest glistening slightly in the light.

Golden Ladybug
2012-04-04, 01:05 AM
"Y-yeah, I have a question" The Whisper Gnome replied, putting up her hand nervously "What sort of things are we likely to, you know, find in the dungeon?"

Realising that the others were looking at her, she tried to make herself seem as small as possible and blushed "S-sorry for the s-stupid question, I've never done this before"

nersxe
2012-04-04, 01:29 AM
I'm counting my last post (at the 32 minute mark; I know I can't say what time exactly since we're all in different time zones) as the benchmark, meaning all five players have to respond within 24 hours of that, but I'll be handling questions as individually as I can. If that was confusing, please ask and I'll clarify.

The human rolled his eyes, throwing the parchment to the side without looking. It combusted in a flash, going up in smoke without leaving a single trace of ash behind. "You're rookies. We're not going to send you up against a lich. On assignments at this level, you'll probably come up against rats and kobolds and that."

Giving her an appraising look, he glanced around at the rest of the room, sizing up the people in it. "You're one of them bow types. You're going to want to stand well behind the guys in real armor, and especially behind him," he nodded at Vincent, "since he's got a shield. Oh, and I hope you've got a dagger in that get up somewhere, because if something gets too close to you, it's all you're gonna be able to use."

Wolven86
2012-04-04, 03:05 PM
Rudin looks shocked.

That wasn't a stupid question little one, far from it in fact.

He turns to the man,

You really have no idea what is in this place at all? Any knowledge about the dungeons denizens and its hazards could spell the difference between success and a very grisly end.

He thinks for a second,

Also how far is this place from the nearest civilized settlement?

OOPWER
2012-04-04, 03:38 PM
Corwin had no intention of speaking before, but foolishness is foolishness. The halfling was almost growling as he spoke.

Don't bother askin' him for anythin'. Either he ain't high enough on the ladder to know, or he knows and he ain't gonna tell us because we ain't high enough on the ladder to know.

ChaoticBroth
2012-04-04, 03:43 PM
Vincent nodded in agreement when one of the others supported the gnome on this matter.

Looks like I'll be binding Savnok once we get there. A shame, really. I was hoping to bind Naberius and have a little fun with fooling people, but I guess I could do that after the job's done...

"I agree. We can't just walk in there without knowing what we're up against. Sure, we won't be fighting dragons or a lich, but there's a lot more that we could know that'll help us. Knowing what we're up against is a start, but I'd like to know what sort of 'underground structure' we're exploring. "

Villskap
2012-04-04, 09:39 PM
Subito glanced sideways and stayed silent while the human addressed his companion's questions. He didn't wish to seem rude, but it seemed that the human had already given them all the information available about where they were going.
He did say that investigating the structure was part of our mission, didn't he?
Once they were done, he asked "I do have a question, in case we wind up working together often. What's your name?"
As he asked his question, he decided that he would be satisfied with whatever answer he received, and that he would do as told and go speak to Heimdall afterward.

Edit:I meant this post to say that Subito would be heading out of the room once the human told him his name. I don't really have anything else I want to add for him to do on his way out. Please consider this my post for the day.

nersxe
2012-04-04, 11:06 PM
The man snorted at Rudin's question. "No, nothing. The whole plane has basically nothing in it thanks to that mad wizard that lived there. Just a bunch of holes in the ground, and in mountainsides, that lead to dungeons."

"That said," he continued, cracking his neck, "there aren't any settlements we know of. Your best bet is to 'port from the ground level back to Guildplane, if you're looking for supplies."

At Corwin's growl, he rolled his eyes. "If we knew exactly what was in there, we wouldn't be sending you in there. All we know right now is that there's nothing too holy, unholy, axiomatic, chaotic, or natural in there for Guildmembers at your skill level to handle. We got better things for the scouts to do than look into a hole full of kobolds or what have you. Like, I don't know, tracking down the Nine-Tongued Worm since it got free lately?." He looked balefully at the group. "I don't know about you, but I'm a lot more worried about the mad divinity haunting the multiverse."

He looked taken aback at Subito's question, blinking down at the table before answering, solemnly, "Aaron. Of Graveshire."

Wolven86
2012-04-05, 05:01 AM
My thanks, Aaron

Rudin turns to the rest of the group,

I see no reason to delay any further then, lets be off!

Rudin turns shifts the weight of his pack and leaves the room.

Golden Ladybug
2012-04-05, 07:48 AM
After being towered over by the imposing Human, Keara had a brief moment of panic. She didn't remember being this meek around others, but perhaps it had something to do with being around so many Humans (and, for that matter, many other Races that she''d never really had the opportunity to spend any time with). Its easier to stand up for yourself when you're one of the tallest Gnomes around, but not so much when you barely go past someone's waist.

She grabbed hold of her Bow, and felt the nervousness creeping up on her. It was the only weapon she had; she'd never liked being close to people if they were fighting, it just made it more likely that she'd be hurt. The Whisper Gnome hoped that she wouldn't have cause to regret not carrying a dagger in the near future...

"Um, thank you, Mr Aaron of Graveshire, sir. We'll, um, go to see Heimdall now" She said, embarrassed both by her nervousness and her stammering, "I hope that you manage to catch that Worm you were talking about"

With that, she timidly headed off towards the door, but hesitated before leaving the room, and looked back to make sure that none of the others had any other questions they wanted to ask.

OOPWER
2012-04-05, 03:48 PM
Corwin simply shrugs his shoulders, and walks out of the room, a simple "I'm going." being his only comment to its occupants.

As he follows the human and gnome out, he allows himself one last thought as to Aaron's little speech: So it's the same here as everywhere else. Many to reap the set-up, a few to take the fall. And it's about as subtle.

ChaoticBroth
2012-04-05, 05:35 PM
Vincent sighed and got up from his seat, grabbing his wooden shield with one arm and heading out the door. Truth be told, the longer he was stuck in here with this insufferable Aaron of Graveshire, the more aggravated he would be. At least he decided to leave as soon as possible. Since he was the fourth one to leave the room, he simply decided to follow his other squadmates in there.

Hmm, now I'm actually curious about the plane we're going to. I wonder if it's like home. Except without the settlements and people...

nersxe
2012-04-06, 02:03 AM
Leaving the handler behind, the party headed toward the gateroom.

Two walls, the ceiling, and the floor of the gateroom are covered in runes. The language of the ruins ranges from Celestial to Terran to Draconic to Dwarven. To anyone who spoke all of those, the runes seem disjointed and seemingly disconnected, but the individual parts make up a cohesive, dizzying whole.

On one of the other two walls, there are names of planes written clearly. The more prominent planes (Eberron, Faerun, Greyhawk) are written larger, with less well-known planes written smaller. The other wall is entirely taken up by a portal, colors swirling and dancing inside it.

Against the wall of names leans the tall, muscular blond Guildmember known as Heimdall. Little is known of Heimdall beyond his near-singular status as Gatekeeper for the Guild; he keeps the portals running, and thus, is one of the cornerstones upon which the Guild is built.

Heimdall raised an eyebrow, waiting for one or more of the party to address him.

Golden Ladybug
2012-04-06, 02:16 AM
Gathering her meagre courage once again, still trying to do the best she could, Keara stepped forward to speak to the imposing figure of Heimdall. The Man towered over the Gnome, who was only slightly taller than his Knee, and Keara wrung her hands nervously, before forcing herself to speak to the Gatekeeper

"Um, we'd like to go to Donjon, if that's okay"

Wolven86
2012-04-06, 12:10 PM
Rudin stands behind Keara and smiles at Heimdall.

Yes that's right. Transport to Donjon please! I understand you have a map for us as well, is that right?

Villskap
2012-04-06, 11:31 PM
Subito walked in without speaking, staring around the room in a bit of awe at the runed walls and the portal. He took up position behind Keara as well, wondering if the additional backing would help her feel more confident.

nersxe
2012-04-07, 02:42 AM
Nothing from Chaotic or OOPWER.

Corwin and Vincent came in last. Even Corwin's world-weariness and Vincent's experience with unusual magic didn't shield them from a certain sense of awe at the obvious power contained in the room, and both took a few seconds to look around at the varied runes within.

Heimdall shook his head at Rudin's question, saying blandly, "maps are given by waystation attendants. I'm sending you to the Donjon waystation now."

His eyes scanned the wall. After a few seconds, he reached one muscled arm up to touch the word "Donjon", then touched the border of the portal. The portal itself whirled madly, gaining more colors and swirling in even more random colors as he attuned it.

"There," he said dismissively, blue eyes already on the lookout for the next group.

Golden Ladybug
2012-04-07, 02:50 AM
Feeling much more sure of herself with the others backing her up, the Gnome perked up a little and gave a genuine smile.

"Thank you, Heimdall" She said, before hurrying through the portal.

Wolven86
2012-04-07, 04:17 AM
I'll see you soon Heimdall

Rudin steps through the portal.

ChaoticBroth
2012-04-07, 06:19 AM
Vincent nodded, offering a silent thanks to Heimdall before stepping through the portal.

At least this Heimdall is less bothersome than that damn guy from Graveshire.

OOPWER
2012-04-07, 12:34 PM
Sorry about not posting there. Nice execution of my character's disposition. The edit is just a grammar check and this sentence telling you I edited.

Again, Corwin shrugged, having dealt with his shock at seeing real magic. Not doing a good job hiding his fear, he carefully put his hand through the portal and withdrew it. Seeing it unchanged, he shook himself and stepped through, offering a single line to the portal's guardian, "This is a lot diff'rent than what I used to do."

nersxe
2012-04-08, 04:48 AM
Nothing from bluefuzzyfish.

The group stepped forward one by one, each disappearing into the color maelstrom of the portal. Pulled through the vast reaches of the multiverse, each saw snatches of other worlds (a clockwork city, an ocean of lava, a world made entirely of labyrinthine forests and foreboding stonework), the adventurers were shown snapshots of the worlds they could one day travel to. With such a grand scale set in front of them, it was almost impossible not to expect something grand when they emerged to see-

A room with wooden walls and a single wooden door; the only furniture a wooden desk with a human woman sitting at it reading a book.

Despite the sound of the party arriving being loud enough for anyone to hear (especially the metallic tinkling of Rudin's chain shirt), the dark-haired woman didn't look up, instead licking her finger and turning a page in the book.

Wolven86
2012-04-08, 06:41 AM
Rudin looks around a sense of wide eyed wonder on his face.

That was amazing, so many worlds so many possibilites! Thanks be to Fharlanghn for granting these opportunities to all of us.

He checks to make sure his companions have passed through then seeing the woman for the first time Rudin turns to her,

This would be Donjon I presume and you would be the waystation attendant, yes?

nersxe
2012-04-08, 06:56 AM
Going to handle these as individually as possible for a bit, since I'm pretty sure you all want the same basic questions answered. Players have 24h from the DM post ending in 48 mins.

Rudin felt a warm rush through his body as some divine entity acknowledged his short prayer, and Fharlaghn's symbol appeared in his mind for a second, inspiring him.

Bless effect on Rudin for 24h (+1 morale bonus to attack rolls and on saves v fear).

I occasionally give bennies to people for consistent roleplaying (especially divine agents who actually roleplay their devotion to their patron appropriately), but they will by no means be regular.

The woman heaved a long-suffering sigh and snapped her fingers, a paper bookmark appearing in her hand. She carefully marked her place in the book and stored it under the desk, looking up at Rudin with a bored expression.

"Yes and yes," she answered flatly, clear green eyes boring into him.

Golden Ladybug
2012-04-08, 09:24 AM
Before entering the portal, Keara had been nervous and shy, all out of courage from trying to project the image of a self-confidence and social competence.

After going through the Portal, however, and seeing those amazing glimpses of faraway places and strange things, the Whisper Gnome was positively beaming. She'd left home to travel and see amazing things (and maybe to rebel against her parents a little).

What a way to start?

This job is awesome she thought to herself with a grin as she exited through the Portal.

After Rudin began to talk to the Waystation Attendant, Keara moved forward and, shyness (mostly) forgotten, spoke to the bored looking woman "Um, Aaron told us you would have a map to where our Mission is?"

"Oh, and my name is Keara" The Whisper Gnome added hopefully, still smiling from the amazing experience of travelling through the Portal.

Villskap
2012-04-08, 06:14 PM
Edit:Oops, sorry about that. For some reason I thought it was still yesterday, rewriting post.

Subito got over his awe quickly as he stepped out of the portal, only to meet the woman who seemed more interested in her book than with them. He frowned a bit. Why is everyone else from the guild being so dismissive and rude to us today?
He fell into place behind the others and listened, starting to get the feeling that perhaps they weren't expected to do well on their first mission.

OOPWER
2012-04-09, 02:52 AM
Feeling a little dizzy from the swirl of lights from his trip through the portal, Corwin comes through with his head barely settling down. Seeing the rest of the party arrived before him and the human speaking to a woman behind a desk, he joined them and reminded himself to remain silent, lest his tongue act before his brain.

nersxe
2012-04-09, 10:23 AM
Nothing from ChaoticBroth.

"Aaron?" The woman raised an eyebrow, glancing at the arrival of three more people through the portal. "It's a big Guild, honey, you're going to have to be more specific than that." Giving it a second of thought, she held up a hand, forestalling any elaboration on anyone's part, "no, don't get more specific. I don't know who Aaron is, I don't actually know who you are, and I don't care. You're the only ones assigned to this backwater plane right now, and you're on the only active assignment in the entire Donjon'verse."

Grimacing, the woman rummaged around behind the desk for a few seconds before pulling out what appeared to be a wooden crate with various pieces of paper in it. She grabbed a piece of paper with what looked like a map on it, laying it flat on the desk. A second, blank sheet of paper appeared next to the first, and she placed one hand in the air just above the map, then one hand in the air just above the blank sheet of paper.

A few mumbled words under her breath later, and the hand over the blank sheet of paper started to move, copying over the map much faster than a hand transcription would have been. "Here," she said when she was finished, holding the copied map up for whoever was going to take it.

Subito and Rudin, you can make Spellcraft checks to figure out what she just casted, if you like.

Wolven86
2012-04-09, 10:50 AM
[roll0]+1

Gives me 18! An auspicious start!

It is Amanuensis is it not?

Rudin reaches out and takes the map.

My thanks

Rudin peers at the map, his face thoughtful.

I'd like to know from the map if possible what is the distance to where we are heading, and what terrain we are likely to encounter on our journey there?

nersxe
2012-04-09, 11:16 AM
It is indeed.

The map in Rudin's hands was almost suspiciously plain; no borders or flourishes, no cities marked or natural features placed. It had exactly two dots, a single line, and an estimated travel time at the bottom. The dots were labelled "Waystation" and "Dungeon", the line led directly from one to the other heading due North, and the estimated travel time was three days.

ChaoticBroth
2012-04-09, 05:03 PM
Vincent was just standing around right now, looking rather bored by the whole place. Being left to do the only job in this entire plane of existence left little to be desired, but it did make him curious as to what precisely was left behind in this part of the world. Hopefully, there wouldn't be too much trouble before they got to their destination.

"As soon as we're done with the map, I'd suggest leaving. We don't want to waste too much time. I'll need to do some binding, but I prefer to do that outdoors. It's far easier that way."

Wolven86
2012-04-09, 05:15 PM
Rudin looks up from the map.

Yes absolutely. The map seems clear enough, my thanks for your assistance my lady, but if I could ask one final favour from you, could you perhaps tell us which way is north? I hate to assume that this plane works the same as where I hail!

Rudin smiles and rolls the map up placing it in his pack.

Villskap
2012-04-10, 12:50 AM
"Yes, I suppose we should be going." Subito agreed, stepping toward the door. He paused for a moment to think about Vincent's words. Binding, hmm?
"We should probably actually discuss just what all of us can do on the way. We'll want to be able to work together in a fight without stepping on each other's toes."

If everyone (or the DM) would prefer to just say that said discussion happens, and is the reason that we can all know each other's basic abilities in character, I'm okay with that. But if other's would like to play it out, I don't object to that either :smallsmile:

OOPWER
2012-04-10, 02:41 AM
This is starting to sound like a big set up to me. And here I thought I quit thieving and become a duelist to avoid that. And then I quit dueling and joined the Guild to avoid that... Am I cursed or something?

Corwin looks at the elf, and ponders his suggestion a moment. A slight frown colors his face, and he simply taps his sword's hilt, and stalks out into the waiting world outside.

Golden Ladybug
2012-04-10, 04:29 AM
"Oh, um, I'm sorry. I didn't...Sorry" Keara mumbled apologetically, before leaving the Waystation Attendant, and returning to the others. After glancing at the map that Rudin held, Keara sighed. Three days was a lot of walking.

"Well, um, I'm pretty good with my Bow, and I'm really good at not being noticed," Keara said in answer to Subito's question, a hint of pride in her otherwise quiet voice "Um, when I'm trying not to be noticed, that is"

She swung her longbow over her shoulder and drew back the string with a grin. From the second she had the weapon in hand, she seemed like an entirely different person, completely at ease and supremely confident "I can show you, if you'd like?" she said, her voice suddenly self-assured and just a little cocky.

nersxe
2012-04-10, 09:16 AM
Since I've got everyone's responses, I'll post this a bit earlier than the deadline.

"You'll be facing north as soon as you walk out," the attendant said dismissively, putting the wooden crate underneath her desk and going back to her book.

When the party stepped outside of the waystation, they were greeted by what appeared to be endless plains in front of them, broken up by neither tree nor hill nor road. A quick look behind revealed that the waystation was built into the base of a very steep mountain, one so large as to reach up beyond sight of even the keenest eyes among the group.

A brown-spotted rabbit started to hop by, spotted the party, and froze, nose twitching.

Wolven86
2012-04-10, 06:50 PM
My thanks, have a pleasant day!

Rudin steps over the threshold, looks to the horizon and smiles.

Watch over us and protect us on our journey Fharlanghn, may we reach our destination safely.

Rudin turns to the others,

Let us be off then, as for abilities if you haven't guessed I am a priest, and Fharlanghn provides to me certain powers that I might better help and protect my travelling companions.

Villskap
2012-04-11, 09:59 AM
Subito looked over and saw the rabbit. "No, that's quite alright, unless we need to hunt for food on the way." he answered Keara. "I'm an archer myself, and the way you hold your bow shows you know what you're doing with it." I've only got 2 days of rations... and we'll be 3 days on the road.
After thinking a moment, he mumbled "And I at least will need to hunt or forage a bit on the way if this is a three-day trip."

"I thought it better not to assume, when working with people from other planes." he answered Rudin, turning toward Vincent. "For example, I've never even heard of 'binding,' so I'm afraid I haven't the faintest idea what it means in this context."

nersxe
2012-04-11, 11:25 AM
Not entirely sure why I only got two responses in the last 24h, but if everyone could move to the new IC thread for Donjon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239395), that would be fantastic.

All accepted but not active Scrubbers, feel free to rp it up here. I can provide NPCs if you wish to interact with them.

Malrone
2012-04-12, 04:02 PM
Sirric rolled out of bed, landing lightly (though not especially so) on his feet. He shook his hair out of the mess sleep had tangled it into, and made his way to the chest situated in the corner.

My first day as an adventurer! And with my own room, too. Good thing, while I appreciate the new people to meet, I'm don't appreciate the new smells. Sirric wrinkled his nose at the thought.

Getting dressed in his typical finery, Sirric continued his contemplations.

Hmm, my mark didn't warm. Shame, I'm ready for some real excitement. Oh well, they say the Guild is it's own plane. There must be much to explore! I barely saw much of the whole when I was brought in, and just that was a lot!

He finished straightening up by hand-combing out his hair via his mirror.

Always good to start the day with a quality meditation. Who better to help me see all there is than the Watcher?

With thoughts of Chronepsis on his mind, Sirric stepped out of his private quarters in search of sights to see and a bite to eat.

Meditation on Chronepsis: Exploring the Guild- +1 Listen

nersxe
2012-04-12, 11:13 PM
While another "city" might be laid out in front of a resident that stepped outside their front door, the Guildplane did what it pleased, and what pleased it today was lying coiled about itself, convoluted passageways folding in and radiating out in no discernible pattern.

Much to its distaste, someone long ago had forced certain parts of it into a static order: the Commons, the Briefing Rooms, the Dorms, and the Gateroom. All this lay to Sirric's right, with a single tempting, winding hallway to his left.

Tegannie
2012-04-12, 11:57 PM
Naliana awoke to the sounds of someone leaving. Hey, are you going to explore the headquarters? Can I come with you? I'm Naliana.

Malrone
2012-04-13, 08:12 PM
At the sound of the voice calling out to him, the quiet contemplation on Sirric's face melted away. Curious to see who would care to bother with him (everyone looked rather busy), he turned to see- a girl.
One which was older than he was, a full head taller than he was, and pretty to boot, decked out as she was in clearly elven gear.

I, uhm. Sirric quickly gathered himself together. He was to be a great mage after all! No time for embarrassment. Of course! Call me Sirric. Yea, I was just seeing the sights the Guild had to offer. This hallway looks promising. . .

He turned and took a step towards the left hall, before remembering his manners. I would, uh, enjoy the company, yes.

Tegannie
2012-04-14, 09:47 AM
Great! Naliana says, following Sirric out. We may not have to called for scrubbing, but I bet we can make our own adventure, just exploring this place. I remember when I first came to the Elven Capital, the place was big and everything was so new and different compared to my village, just walking down the street was an adventure. I bet this place is like that, too, except for even more so.

nersxe
2012-04-14, 09:54 AM
The hallway meandered for a good bit, with doors that winked in, then winked out before Sirric and Naliana could reach them. Finally, a wooden door appeared, and stayed in place when they reached it.

The door had no sign, as most of the ones in the Guild proper did, instead it had a series of vines carved into the surface, crossing over and over one another in a mesmerizing pattern.

Tegannie
2012-04-14, 09:57 AM
Well, Sirric, shall we go in?

Malrone
2012-04-14, 04:15 PM
Sirric flashes a quick grin to Naliana,
Of course!
and opens the door.

nersxe
2012-04-15, 10:23 AM
The wood of the door is pleasantly warm under Sirric's touch, pulsing gently under his hand. It swings open with a whisper, revealing the room beyond.

Or rather, the arboretum beyond.

The arboretum was overflowing with life: flowers of every hue visible to the eye, with vines in dark greens and reds threading their way up trees that reached up beyond the limit of vision. Somewhere inside, the call of exotic birds could be heard, and every so often a flurry of wings would break the calmness of the leaves.

Tegannie
2012-04-16, 10:08 AM
Naliana walks in, enjoying the colors around her. This is better than any of the gardens the elves had, except for the druids' groves. Turning to Sirric, she calls: You coming?

Malrone
2012-04-16, 11:44 AM
Sirric shakes the wonder off his face. Oh yes.

My mother is an alchemist, so I've seen some rare plants before, but this. . .
He reached out to brush some of the flowers as he walked past, feeling the petals and admiring the color.

nersxe
2012-04-16, 03:18 PM
The arboretum opened before them, embracing the two explorers as they ventured forth. As they walked forward, warmth made itself known, the temperature decidedly pleasant for both of them.

The ground was soft under their feet, cushioning each step without allowing them to sink in so deeply as to impede their movement. The only sounds they made were the whispers of leaves brushing against their clothing, quickly swallowed up by the rustling of vegetation and birdcall.

Some time later, they emerged into a clearing, grass growing tall as filtered sunlight shone down. A ring of trees with a distinctive dark hue bordered the clearing, extending (as most of the trees in the arboretum did) well past their field of vision.

Back facing Sirric and Naliana, a humanoid figure moved slowly through the trees, stooping every so often to pick something up.

Malrone
2012-04-17, 03:53 PM
Remembering just who was donning his blessing today, Sirric walked off along the edge of the clearing. He kept a curious eye on the figure, but the odd bark of the trees beckoned to him.

Tegannie
2012-04-18, 08:49 PM
Tempted to call out to the strange figure, Naliana follows Sirric.

As they walked, Naliana decided to strike up some conversation. Curious about his skin color, she says So, I've never seen someone like you before. If you don't mind, may I ask what you are?

Malrone
2012-04-20, 10:40 PM
Sirric turned towards Naliana, puffing himself up with all his 13 years of pride.
I'm a Spellscale, so they say. Born to dragon touched blood rich with sorcery. I can understand if you've not seen one like me before.

nersxe
2012-04-22, 02:18 AM
There have been two dropouts in the Donjon thread. I will be PMing both of you, but this is your in-game notification.

As Sirric and Naliana continued to explore and speak between themselves, they found their marks heating in a way that was unmistakeably a summons. "Briefing room, twenty minutes." They both heard in their ears.

Tegannie
2012-04-22, 10:17 AM
Naliana felt her mark burn before she had a chance to respond to Sirric. Impressive, but it seems like are exploration has been cut short, I've been summoned. Are the others done already? Or did someone die?

Malrone
2012-04-22, 11:34 PM
Funny that, I have been as well! Let's make our way there, then.
Sirric was far too excited at the prospect of adventure to ponder what left him an opening.

nersxe
2012-04-23, 06:12 AM
Assuming there's nothing you guys want to do along the way, feel free to just say something like, "Jonsey grabbed his equipment and ran for the briefing room".

Tegannie
2012-04-23, 09:03 AM
Naliana grabbed her equipment and headed for the briefing room

Malrone
2012-04-23, 04:16 PM
*generic exposition that furthers the plot*

nersxe
2012-04-23, 04:46 PM
Malrone: Oh, you.

The way to the briefing room was chaotic. Normally, new members of the Guild saw one or two senior members a day, if that, but now they all seemed to be out in force and all running toward the portal room.

Members in full-plate, with glowing gear, flaming weapons, iced weapons, shields that followed along behind them at a short distance, monstrous humanoids, and even one member who was unmistakeably a medusa all ran past Sirric and Naliana toward the portal room at full tilt.

When they arrived at the briefing room, a dwarf awaited them. His hair, beard, and tunic were all in disarray, and he stopped the futile task of trying to fix it when they came in.

"We're transporting you directly to Donjon," he said gruffly, crossing his arms, "I don't have time to tell you what's going on down there, so ask the agents on the scene."

He started to move his arms in an obvious incantation, not even bothering to ask them if they were ready.

Malrone
2012-04-23, 07:52 PM
What's going on? Everyone is running about willy-nilly! Aren't we supposed to go through Heimdall?
The aura of excitement (or was it panic) had clearly rubbed off on Sirric.

Tegannie
2012-04-24, 12:31 AM
Naliana shrugged, I dunno, but I'm ready for some adventure! all previous ponderings were gone, now that her first adventure was so close.

nersxe
2012-04-24, 05:38 PM
The dwarf finished his spell, and a ray of red light hit Sirric and Naliana. They began to disappear bit by bit, slowly fading out of the briefing room.

I would normally let you guys roll a Willsave if you so chose, but the DC is too high for either of you to get, even with a nat20.

Please migrate to the Donjon thread.

Wolven86
2012-04-24, 07:21 PM
Sorry I'm going to be annoying here. A natural 20 is always a success regardless of DC, why give them the option of a save only to then say don't bother?

nersxe
2012-04-24, 09:39 PM
There are neither critical successes nor critical failures with saves or skill checks. I mentioned the save because I won't ever DM-string-pull and have things happen to players without a chance to react or resist, but in this case they've already chosen not to react negatively, and it is too late to resist mentally, as the DC is too high to be beaten by a first-level character.

ETA:
Apparently, in RAW DnD you can crit saves, but not skill checks. The way it was explained to me, you could only crit attack rolls. I apologize. However, I will also be adopting this house rule, so the only crits in my game will be attack rolls.