PDA

View Full Version : Uncapping spells and Reserves of Strength

Alleran
2012-04-02, 01:49 AM
I've been browsing around the internet looking at a few shapechange-related spells and spell boosts, and have noticed a few times that people cite the Dragonlance feat "Reserves of Strength" as being able to break the CL cap for shenanigans like a Great Wyrm Force Dragon. I took a look at the feat, though, and it only seems to allow up to +3 to your CL, and the shapechange spell includes a hard level cap of 25 HD for assumed forms.

While I could potentially see Reserves of Strength as being capable of taking the level cap for shapechange up to 28 HD (with the +3 CL from the feat, per the note that you can boost your CL by 1, 2 or 3 and thus uncap the spell), how does it let you break the cap beyond that to the sort of levels needed for Great Wyrm Force Dragons and their ilk?

Hirax
2012-04-02, 01:55 AM
It can be read in such a way that the increase in CL that the feat grants and removing of the CL cap are independent things. While it's technically a plausible reading, I cringe any time I see it suggested. It's probably one of the most outrageous TO things in existence, right up there with the chaos shuffle.

Alleran
2012-04-02, 02:03 AM
It can be read in such a way that the increase in CL that the feat grants and removing of the CL cap are independent things. While it's technically a plausible reading, I cringe any time I see it suggested.
Er... how? I'm looking at it, and I don't see how it could be interpreted that way. The feat's benefit is just that it allows you to uncap spells by either 1, 2 or 3, and that this particular boost can bypass the normal level cap.

Hirax
2012-04-02, 02:10 AM
It's due to the uncapping portion being its own separate sentence. I agree 100% that's it's an absolutely horrendous reading of the feat, hence why I said it's only technically plausible. That technical plausibility emerges if you're willing to bend the context in which that sentence is placed over and torture it badly enough to warrant an appearance at The Hague.

The Mentalist
2012-04-02, 02:13 AM
On the other hand the feat ABSOLUTELY SUCKS if it just raises CL by up to 3, if it hadn't gotten such a bad TO rep it would be perfectly acceptable and I personally have always read it as:

1. Raises CL by X
2. Uncaps your CL for the spell