PDA

View Full Version : help with new campain

zigato
2012-04-02, 07:57 AM
im going to be starting a new campaign with my friends and i was going to give them a free ability for the chars im just having a hard time for example give the powerful build trait what are some other ability or even spells that would equal the same bonus

Whammydill
2012-04-02, 08:48 AM
You could always allow them to take a template say a +1 LA or +2 LA for free if you need to broaden what they can have.

As far as specific spells or abilities like Powerful Build...I'm not quite sure.

Ranting Fool
2012-04-02, 09:50 AM
Never used the Powerful Build trait that those Goliath types get, Though I've been meaning to slip that race into my world at some point.

Well in the new game I'm running I've given the players a bonus feat and told them they could/will earn new feats as they level all based on the actions their character and picked by me.

E.g
The Barbarian who power attacked every goblin and made a rather large mess ended up getting Cleave as a free bonus feat.

The Rogue/Swashbuckler who failed 4+ tumble checks in a row and fell in a 6ft goblin pit by just having really bad luck gained Acrobatic

The Druid who spent almost every encounter trying to stop the fighting / find a non violent way around it though Diplomacy gained the Skill Negotiator feat (not sure if it's called that)

My aim is to try and get them to role-play a bit more rather then just number crunch (and it seems to be going down well :smallcool:)

Rejusu
2012-04-02, 10:00 AM
If in doubt: bonus feat. But really you could just give everyone a "free" LA+1. Although honestly it's not much different than starting the campaign at an ECL 1 higher than normal. Only difference is you're putting a cap on how many class levels people can take starting out.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-02, 05:18 PM
There's always Regional Feats.

Used mainly in the Forgotten Realms, they're first level-only feats that reflect where you grew up. Some are pretty potent, actually (one turns you into an outsider [native]).

But keep in mind that they all have racial/regional requirements for a REASON. It'd probably be best to adjudicate on a case by case basis.