PDA

View Full Version : Q: Can 3.5 warlock blast underwater?

Clovis
2012-04-02, 09:59 AM
Our D&D 3.5 adventure is taking us underwater to salvage a sunken ship. There are sahuagin around. Question is, does the eldricht blast work underwater? Thank you for any input.

Siegel
2012-04-02, 10:02 AM
Why shouldn't it? it's magic

Boci
2012-04-02, 10:53 AM
By the rules, yes, there are no verbal components, sonomatic components can be performed underwater, and it isn't an energy type that water interfere's with. If your DM known for invoking rule 0 on things like this?

Dr Bwaa
2012-04-02, 10:59 AM
As Boci said, it should work (unless possibly if your DM is of the school of thought that water blocks line of effect).

Yora
2012-04-02, 11:00 AM
Somatic components underwater may require a concentration check, as casting spells in a storm or on a ship in rough weather counts as a distraction that makes it neccesary. Being underwater could be regarded as similar circumstances, since you don't stand on firm ground while waving around with your arms.

Clovis
2012-04-02, 12:00 PM
Thank you for your comments. Our DM does sometimes invoke rule 0 if we get too innovative (=abusive) in our interpretations of the rules. I hadn't seen anything about this previously, hence the question. My character has darkvision so that should help in the depths. Ring of free action would help with the somatic components but at this level it's beyond us. Though our Mr Johnson did lend us some nifty underwater equipment: Drawmij's Undersea Apparatus. I would've preferred a ring of water breathing but hired help can't always choose :smalltongue:

killem2
2012-04-02, 01:41 PM
I would say concentration check is in need if it needs focus, but nothing more.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-04-02, 02:02 PM
See if a Wand of Freedom of Movement isn't out of your price range, if you are worried about somatic components.

Also, a much easier and cheaper method of breathing underwater is a Necklace of Adaptation. At only 9k, and making you immune to airborne toxins... it's a real steal!