PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Leadership chumps

Squidfist
2012-04-02, 11:40 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for information about acquiring chumps or 'cohorts' as they prefer to be called, pre-leadership levels.

If I recall correctly, there is a feat to acquire an animal companion, and one to get a familiar, but I'd like to find some info about getting a bodyguard if it exists.

I'm writing up a backup character for my current one, and was thinking of playing an aristocrat because it's silly, but I'd like a semi competent bodyguard so I'm not entirely useless in combat.

Any ideas?

Telonius
2012-04-02, 12:10 PM
Well, trained hirelings (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#hirelingTrained) include "mercenary warriors." The minimum wage for that entry is 3sp/day. "Significantly higher pay" would probably apply to higher-level (read: has a few levels in Warrior or a PC melee class) bodyguards. Check with your DM for actual prices.

Oscredwin
2012-04-02, 12:12 PM
Get one of the other players in the party to make a fighter?

Squidfist
2012-04-02, 12:23 PM
Get one of the other players in the party to make a fighter?

I'd like a guard I can boss around, and find it unlikely anyone in the group would want to play a character that would have to listen to everything I say.

I could go the wild cohort route, and get a guard dog or something, but that's not nearly as good as a guy that can wear armor.

Coidzor
2012-04-02, 12:34 PM
What, your DM is one of those weird ones that ban barding for animals? :smallconfused:

Loren
2012-04-02, 12:43 PM
one could try to make the arguement that a person of an equal CR to an animal would be mechanically the same, but flavourwise much ore suitable. Also, if you just shell out the bones and pick up a couple of grunts, since one body guard is likely to be insufficient if your character expected to be going about dangerous business.

Squidfist
2012-04-02, 12:51 PM
What, your DM is one of those weird ones that ban barding for animals? :smallconfused:

Nope, it's just super expensive, and this campaign is level 3 at the moment, meaning I'd probably not have the cash to gear up my dog. A hired goon on the other hand would presumably have his own gear.

nedz
2012-04-02, 03:09 PM
Get one of the other players in the party to make a fighter Monk ?

FTFY