PDA

View Full Version : Epic Skills Pre-Epic?

Person_Man
2012-04-02, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know if you're allowed to use Epic level Skill uses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm) pre-Epic?

I don't own the Epic level handbook and the SRD does not mention it, but the SRD sometimes leaves out important rules. And I think it'd be pretty easy to hit DC 40-60ish on a variety of checks using pre-Epic magic and feats.

Thanks.

Chronos
2012-04-02, 12:00 PM
The only thing epic about them is the high DCs (and in some cases, not even that). And as you say, most of those DCs can be hit pre-epic with a bit of optimization.

Ormur
2012-04-02, 12:31 PM
I've never been in or run an epic game but we've quite often aimed for epic skill DCs since some of them are easily attainable pre-epic and quite useful. I haven't seen anything that indicates they are exclusively for epic characters. I assumed it was just like any other expanded use of a skill in printed in a splat-book that just happens to deal with epic levels.

W3bDragon
2012-04-02, 12:38 PM
I just read the section at the start of the epic skill uses in the book. It doesn't say anything about it being restricted to epic characters. It says that most of the skill uses are logical expansions of the current skills, with some being almost mystical in nature. But yeah, nothing about any restrictions. Seems fine.

Person_Man
2012-04-02, 02:00 PM
Cool beans.

On a secondary but related question, has anyone written a Guide or Handbook for Skills? There are additional Skills and additional Skill uses scattered throughout the splatbook. Epic level handbook, Complete Psionics, Comp Adventurer, Comp Warrior, most of the environment books, and probably others. It be nice to have them all in one place.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-04-02, 05:44 PM
Cool beans.

On a secondary but related question, has anyone written a Guide or Handbook for Skills? There are additional Skills and additional Skill uses scattered throughout the splatbook. Epic level handbook, Complete Psionics, Comp Adventurer, Comp Warrior, most of the environment books, and probably others. It be nice to have them all in one place.

Not that I know of, but I have considered compiling a list of skill uses like the Alchemical Items & Special Materials list in my sig. (I obviously have not done so yet, though.)

Person_Man
2012-04-02, 07:46 PM
If you want to take on the task, it would be handy, and I would be thankful. If not, I'll end up doing it when I find the time over the next few weeks or so.

danzibr
2012-04-02, 08:01 PM
If you want to take on the task, it would be handy, and I would be thankful. If not, I'll end up doing it when I find the time over the next few weeks or so.
Ooooh I'm looking forward to this. And to a good Bard handbook (at least, more comprehensive than the one google always shows me).