PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Monk Campaign: A Boot to the Head (OOC)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

inexorabletruth
2012-04-02, 12:38 PM
Please post your official character sheet and backstory here. If you linked to your character sheet in your sig, then just post your backstory here so I can reference the fluff.

Here's what you know about the campaign and setting. Warning... enormous text wall, but now it's out of the way.

First, here is a map of the area you live in. (http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Abbor-Alz_Hills)

You all reside in the Abbey of Azer's Flame, a monastery within a small city in the Abbor-Alz hills known as Durgeddinvale, so named after the famous dwarf who mined Stone Tooth Hill. Stone Tooth Hill, true to it's name, resolutely stabs the western horizon like a great incisor. Its reddish rock seems blood-stained by the wound it jabs each evening into the setting sun as flame-burst clouds trickle from it across the darkening sky like rivulets of boiling blood. But even the shadow Stone Tooth Hill casts shrinks away in deference at the glorious image of the burning monument of Grandmaster Fargrim Dóteagmháil the Flame-Hand, founder of the Abbey of Azer's Flame. Twenty feet tall and limned in an ever-burning fire, the monument greets all visitors and recruits at the foot of the cloister with its silent, stern visage and imposing form.

But once inside the courtyard of the monastery, it's easy to see that its glory has faded over the years. Grandmaster Fargrim left a legacy that was not matched by the two sequential successors of the title and the monastery has suffered greatly from the weak leadership. A new era has begun however, with a new Grandmaster, Brottor "Ironhead" Balderk, who has invigorated the strength, pride, and tradition of the Abbey and has begun to restore hope to the Monks who reside therein.

A History of Fargrim Dóteagmháil:
Nearly two centuries ago, Fargrim Dóteagmháil (LN Male Azer Expert/Monk) left his beloved home in the great City of Brass, in the Elemental Plane of Fire to lead an excavation team that would lay claim to a newly discovered mine, rich with exotic gems that could give the advantage to his kin in the trade war against the Efreet.

But the Efreet sought to claim the mine as well and had already sent their slaves to the site, where they met the Azer in battle before either could even begin setting camp. Fargrim and his team of miners fought heroically against the slaves' overwhelming numbers, and managed to gain ground in the skirmish, until he encountered one efreeti who cast a spell that sent him reeling through a fissure in the mine and hurling through the planes, where he came crashing down on the Material Plane of Oerth near the rolling hills of Abbor-Alz. Barely alive and shivering from the comparative cold of the Material Plane, he survived the night by sleeping on a bed of burning tinder, not knowing or caring that one day it would be the central altar of the temple that celebrated him.

His monastery fosters an ideology of toil, discipline, and self-sacrifice.

A History of the Abbey:
The abbey has lost much of it's former glory under the rule of the consecutive, weaker leadership of Grandmaster Engong "Nine Kicks" (Half-Orc Monk) who turned it into a den of mercenary thugs, and then Grandmaster Elchar Rothchild (Human Psion/Monk), who nearly destroyed its honored heritage of physical discipline in exchange for trade agreements and political treaties, running it more like his own personal piggy bank than a monastery. But with the ascension of the newest Grandmaster, Brottor "Ironhead" Balderk (Dwarf Monk), the Abbey is rising again in strength and influence, returning at last to its former glory. The Abbey is funded by its rich mining industry, due to the valuable gems and ore found within the Abbor-Alz Hills as well as the various military services it provides to the city that houses the abbey, Durgeddinvale. But this also puts the abbey under constant threat of invasion from raiding bandits, and enemy provinces, as well as usurpation or land seizure from Durgeddinvale itself.

Facts about Durgeddinvale:
Population: 1018 (Small City) integrated: 37% human, 20% dwarf, 18% gnome, 10% halfling, 7% elf, 5% half-elf, 3% half-orc
2 Days march south of Pontyrel in the Abbor-Alz Hills
Power Center: Conventional NN
Community Authorities:

Lord Jason Scott- (Human Aristocrat/Fighter) sustained an injury in combat against an orc raid when he fell off his horse, leaving his back stooped as if he were crouching. His face seems dark and brooding, but this is mostly due to the constant pain he is in due to his many injuries and increasing age. He is actually a good-natured man who seems to do what is best for his people.
Captain Landon Silverstream- (Half-Elf Warrior) A notoriously lazy and flippant soldier who, through charming flattery and well-timed demonstrations of bravery has afforded himself the comfortable position of Captain of the Guard. He is well liked among most of the influential citizens of Durgeddinvale, but not well-respected by his own men, though whether he is aware of this fact, or simply unconcerned remains unknown.

Legal Issues:
Standard laws in the city, as well as standard corruption. 10% tax for all residents not living within the confines of the abbey. Those that live in the abbey are expected to contribute to it's growth and development in some way though, either by tithing a portion of his/her found wealth when on missions for the abbey or by working the mines a certain number of hours per week. Failure to comply to tax laws could result in imprisonment. Failure to comply to monastic policy could result in reprimands of varying degree or excommunication from the order. Traitors or deserters from the monastery are put to death if captured.

Social Classes:
Upper Class- takes up the smallest percentage (less than 5%) of the population, since it's largely a mining town. Those with wealth prefer to live somewhere more cosmopolitan, like Pontyrel.

Middle Class- More than half of the population (55%) is middle-class and account for the most racial diversity in the city.

Lower Class- The second largest group of the population. Most of these people are miners or laborers

Slaves- a few citizens of Durgeddinvale keep orcs and goblins who attempted to raid the city as slaves as a way for them to repay their debt to society. This practice is also shared by the monastery who take in criminals or monstrous raiders as indentured servants as a method of reformation and restitution for crimes committed. Some fallen monks who disgraced the monastery serve as indentured servants in the mines below the abbey. Once they are deemed properly reformed, they are set free to live their lives as they chose.

Religion: diverse

Magic: uncommon in the region, but not unheard of. (Analogy: magic users are about as rare to the people of Durgeddinvale as Ferrari owners are to us. You see one once in a while, but it's not like there's one on every block.)

Recurring NPCs:

Master Caramip:Gnome Female Sorcerer/Monk, LN: Taught the group in this campaign.
Grandmaster Brottor: Dwarf Male Monk, LG: Headmaster of the Abbey
Master Yama: Human Male Monk, LG: Next in line to be Headmaster of the Abbey
Libby: Human Female [Class Unknown], [Alignment Unknown]: Mysterious girl dropped off by a mysterious armored man.
Kevin: Human Male, Commoner, [Alignment Unknown], Farm boy, and possibly last surviving member of the quaint village of Cliffside Vale
Ur-Agal: Human Male Wildshaper Ranger/Monk, LN: A strange recluse from a distant land, possesses extensive wilderness survival knowledge and special training against fey types. Struggles with a narcotic addiction to a rare alchemical wine.
Rassaphore Godwin: LG Half-Elf Expert/Monk: Shopkeeper and bookkeeper of the monastery's equipment and other tools.
Raime Momaan: A powerful wizard residing within the halls of the abbey to help them enchant their weapons and defenses.

If you have any other questions, please ask. I'm willing to assume that since you live here, you have a pretty in depth knowledge of the layout of the Abbey and Durgeddinvale as well as its residents.

lostsole31
2012-04-02, 01:13 PM
Coanacoch (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=58445), who like an emerald boa of his home will be SeaGreen.

Combined Backstory for the Amedians
Necahual (22) and Coanacoch (19) are brother and sister monks that served a temple to Quetzlcoatl in their home of the Amedio Jungle. They were trained at an early age. Their family has long served the Feathered Serpent, and was blessed many generations ago with the ability to survive without air or need of breath. Though not an evil deity, there was a feud at the time between Quetzlcoatl and Cihuacoatl (N goddess of earth, birth, and death), and the latter cursed their family with weakness against any of her minions or of the power of earth itself.

Necahual is built entirely unlike a woman. She is 5’8", and a very stocky, burly 181 pounds. She is very strong and hardy, and her martial focus takes advantage of her high stamina and ability to endure punishment. She always had to protect her little brother and help him along. Coanacoch, though a little better than the average person or warrior, didn’t really show any incredible talent as a temple warrior. Though taller than his sister, he is slighter of build (5’11", 170 lbs). For such a combat-focused profession as temple warrior, the relatively weak young man studied under those that focused on a much more mobile fighting style, for fear that he me might be laid low too easily.

Both of them have spent many, many long hours training together to be better in hand-to-hand combat than a like member of their peers. Necahual, specializes in standing firm and giving brutal, crushing assaults, though when she is planted her keen mind actually helps her fend off attacks, and to deny advantages sought by multiple skirmishers. Coanacoch is an extremely defensive combatant, focusing on quick strikes. He moves past the enemy deftly, and strikes a middle or back line, often setting up a more fluid but equally capable defensive wall. When the opportunity presents itself, he will then move out of line to a different target. Where his sister focuses on powering through defenses, Coanacoch uses the speed of a flying serpent to bypass an opponent’s skill to strike its target.

PSinger
2012-04-02, 01:17 PM
The enduring power of the earth, Necahual (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=58439) will be Sienna.

zever
2012-04-02, 03:38 PM
Han Chun Li (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=385817) reporting for duty. He will be blue.

Background:

Han was the only son of 2 ruthless merchants. His parents were really in it for the money, and always tried to squeeze the last Bronze piece out of their clients. As a young child, Han already knew he didn't want to be this way. As he grew up, he became more and more repulsed by the way of working of his parents. And at the age of 16, he fleed his home, swearing off his life of luxury he was living in for the last 16 years, and becoming a beggar in the streets.

After a few months, he became intrigued by the monks who sometimes visited the village to get some supplies. At first, he didn't dare to approach them, but a few months later, they saw him looking at them and they came up to talk with him. Soon after, he joined the monastery, where he learned the ways of the monk.

Now, 9 years later, he has grown up and is ready to explore the world, while still keeping the promise he made when he was 16 to swear off all kinds of luxury and to help the poor and innocent in the back of his mind.

Man on Fire
2012-04-03, 07:14 AM
Vir-Sashi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=385822) will take Dark Orange

Backstory.
He was once a young man with weak psionic powers, who was kidnapped by Yuan-Ti and undergona failed transformation, losing his memory and becoming a Broodguard. Having new name, Vir-Sashi, given to him, he had become one of many front line warriors. After group of adventurers destroyed their nest, his masters ran away and he got separated from them and left alone in alien and strange land. He spend some time wandering around, attacking farms to steal food, until one day he was found by travelling master monk, Yago, who had beaten him effortlessly. Vir was sure he is going to die, but Zon started talking to him. He asked if he lives a good life. Does the service of his snake masters made him happy? Does hiding in the forest and terrorizing people to steal a chicken? Master Yago explained to him, that he won't find happiness in his life, until he will embrace the justice. He felt a psionic talent in him, just like his only weaker and undeveloped. If he would sharpen his skill and willpower, he could become real hero - a "Friend of Justice", living to bring order and happiness to the world. Having convinced Vir-Sashi to change his life, Yago had send him to a monastery managed by Yago's old friend, where he can seek help on his path to surpassing his violent nature and becoming true "Friend of Justice".

Azoth
2012-04-03, 08:59 AM
Li...reporting to whoop butt.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=386228

inexorabletruth
2012-04-03, 05:27 PM
It looks like we're all in, so let's begin.

IC here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13008926#post13008926)

inexorabletruth
2012-04-03, 05:36 PM
Oh... btw.

I'm a mapper, so they'll come up a lot in relevant situations. Combat will be done on a numbered grid, which is the closest thing I can get to a map and miniatures. If you have a nifty avi you'd like me to use to represent the starting point of your character in a combat grid, please send it to me, and I'll use it.

Keep it simple so that it's easily visible on the map. Images like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_ss2sIdshBo/TWXNljDPo2I/AAAAAAAAADI/xkeM2Kqxm_M/s1600/shihengjun3a.jpg

may look cool, but a lot gets lost in translation when I have to fit it into a 1"x1" square.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-03, 10:07 PM
Quick question, did anyone else's version of the map I sent glitch out when you download it?

For the map of the abbey, I stole a floor plan of an already existing irl abbey and over-wrote my own names. Oddly, the old names re-appear unless you attempt to scroll down, wherein the new names pop up. At first, I thought it had printed two pages, but it's showing up as a 1 pg document.

I guess I'll convert future maps to jpg before uploading to eliminate hidden layers. In the meantime, if your map has page numbers written on it under the name of each room, you're looking at the wrong layer. Try scrolling down until the text is replaced with story-relevant names like "Stairway to Dóteagmháil Mines and such.

lostsole31
2012-04-03, 11:58 PM
Downloaded ... what?!

zever
2012-04-04, 12:23 AM
I think he means the map in the IC thread.

It seems fine for me. With the statue and the stairwell pointed out as expected.

lostsole31
2012-04-04, 12:33 AM
Yup, figured that out when I got there, but thank you.

I usually check the OOC before the IC when there have been updates on both.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-05, 02:23 AM
Ok. I've put together some images that fit the description of your character as well as I could. Please note, none of this artwork is original. I don't deserve the credit, I just edited color and size where appropriate.

I apologize for the cheesy coloring job on the Air Humans. It's my first time using GIMP. :smallfrown: Still, let me know if you approve, and it'll be your character on the combat grid.

I was intending to test it out in ritual, but I see we've gone past that while I was busy making pictures. No biggie. Its your sandbox; play as you please. :smallsmile:

Anyway, in order of appearance in the OOC:
Coanacoch:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Monk%20PbP/Coanacoch.jpg
When searching, I emphasized the pouty pretty boy look to play up the inferiority complex he seems to suffer from.

Necahual:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Monk%20PbP/Necahual%20Avi.jpg
You've no idea how hard it is to find a mannish woman on the internet... especially one drawn for fantasy themes. This is the closest I could get that wasn't in a battle-bra and chain mail thong.

Han Chun Li:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Monk%20PbP/Han%20Chun%20Li%20Avi.jpg
Easiest one to find. The imagery of your character just screamed Shaolin Monk. The hard part was finding one with a simple enough background.

Vir-Sashi:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Monk%20PbP/Vir-Sashi%20Avi.jpg
I've got to say... that is one ugly character you are playing. I thought you were playing the guy behind him with the snake. This opens up a whole new avenue for RP that I never even considered.

Li:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Monk%20PbP/Li%20Avi.jpg
I feel that, of all the PCs, I failed you the most. I found this guy, who was cool looking, covered in scars, and fit your stealth based fashion sense and grim motif, and then I found another guy who actually was a Monk with a long braided ponytail, but was a bit of a flashy pretty boy. I went with this one, because I thought it covered more bases than the other guy.

If you already have an image in mind that you'd prefer me to use, please link to it here. If you don't like anything that you've found or anything that I've found, then I'll just use your GITP avi for simplicity's sake.

Azoth
2012-04-05, 04:30 AM
Dude... I dig that picture and support it fully

odigity
2012-04-05, 09:39 AM
Description

Average height and weight (for a halfling), but better toned than the typical happy-go-lucky members of his species. Dressed in a green robe with yellow trim, he carries no other objects - not even shoes. His only adorment is a tattoo on his right shoulder of a green shield depicting a ram's horn filled with fruit.

Personality

Through both natural disposition and years of training, Ulyono has a cautious and considering curiosity rather than the impulsive curiosity of most halflings. He is, for the most part, not very social or quick-witted, and though slow to form relationships, the bonds formed run deep. Nothing is more important to him than protecting his family - especially halflings, but also including his adopted family at the monastery.

Backround

Ulyono lost his blood family to disease during adolescence, and was only saved himself by the just-in-time arrival of a Wayard Warden (a halfling priest of Yondalla, a wanderer dedicated to the protection of halfings) named Pelfin. During the recovery process, the priest took the time to get to know Ulyono and noted that his personality, while not comfortably fit for the care-free life of the typical halfling, was ideally suited fit for the role of protector.

After his recovery, Ulyono was ready to swear his life to the service of Yondalla and the protection of other halflings, but Pelfin, in his wisdom, decreed that he was not ready, and that he should first seek peace of mind and purity of body in preparation for receiving and channeling the divine spirit of Yondalla. He brought him to the Abbey of Azer's Flame, where Unyolo swore a vow of poverty to avoid all distractions beyond the joy of the moment and the potential for future happiness for others.

His one trait that could be considered a vice (though he does not see it so) is his love of food. Though the disease that ravaged him left him with a sensitive stomach, he delights in preparing delicious meals from even the simple ingredients found in the monastery - occasionally to the stomach-grumbling annoyance of some of his fellow monks who perceive the enjoyment of good food as a distraction on par with that of wealth accumulation, an association that has never quite struck Ulyono as sensible.

He also delights in gift-giving, seeing his vow of poverty as an opportunity to better the lives of others more than as a charity obligation or form of self-sacrifice.

odigity
2012-04-05, 09:56 AM
With regards to my comment about turning invsible in the IIC thread, since ya'll have been training with me in the monastery, you're all aware that I can actually do this. It's an alternative class feature for Monks from the 3.5 sourcebook Exemplars of Evil called Invisible Fist. Instead of getting Evasion at 2nd level, you get the ability to become invisible for one round as an immediate action, but then must wait three rounds before doing it again.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-05, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the party, odigity! :smallbiggrin:

I was worried that you dropped out, and I was particularly excited about a poverty halfling, so I'm glad you're here.

Anyways, to all of you, I should confess that my knowledge of eastern monastic traditions is limited to what movies would tell me, so I'm blending my more in depth knowledge of western orthodox monastic traditions and rankings with cinematic interpretations of eastern traditions as I see fit. Why not? It's fantasy. For ranks that fit somewhere between Novice, Master, and Grandmaster, I'm using Rassaphore and Stavrophore.

At level 3, you guys are at the tail end of Novice, and ready to become Rassaphores. Basically, after Stavrophore, you become a Master. From there, there is only Grandmaster in the hierarchy of this temple.

And it's cool, odigity. Her actions were kind of supposed to be interpreted that way. She's a weird cross between keenly focused and not-all-there, which is part of what has made her ascension to Master a bit of a mystery to many monks in the Abbey. She is effective and highly talented though, but no Monk in their right mind would want her to become a Grandmaster. She takes more pleasure in life and in her job than is typically acceptable in the perceptions of the typically stoic, even solemn, monks of the temple.

Man on Fire
2012-04-05, 12:37 PM
I may be unable to post during Ester, sorry for inconvinience.

PSinger
2012-04-05, 10:10 PM
lostsole31 is super-sick, and even called out of final dress/ preview. Don't know for how long. We're both opening a show tomorrow.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-05, 10:28 PM
Sounds fine, Man on Fire. Holidays should be spent with family. Enjoy! We can take a small break and I can work a bit on the campaign.

I'm sorry to hear that PSinger. :smallfrown: I hope he gets better soon. If he's too sick to play, then I'm holding the campaign over the weekend anyway so those who have plans don't have to worry about getting left behind. If he's still not feeling well after that, then just PM me with some instructions. Either you can post for him, I could post for him, or we can have his character be working the mines, or off fasting on a mountain for enlightenment, Guatoma-style.

I hope the show goes well. :smallbiggrin: If it's allowed, I wouldn't mind it if you posted pics, or a link to the pics on the OOC! I used to have the worst stage fright back when I performed live with my band, so I'm a little jealous that you two can be so professional about it. Perhaps we would've gone further if I could've just calmed down and gone through the motions. Que sera, life on the stage isn't for everyone, I suppose.

PSinger
2012-04-06, 03:30 PM
Ha! Life on the stage is not for me. LOL! No lost is the performer. I'm the lighting designer. Nope, not a performer. (That's what my last boyfriend said, too! .... Oh, no he di-n't!)

Talking with lost, we didn't know what to think about blue skin ... seemed more water for us. We were thinking that we're actually pale-skinned, like a cloud. I like Necahual's pic, though ... no (or at least minimized) fantasy sexism.

lostsole31
2012-04-06, 04:32 PM
I didn't think of Coanacoch as a pretty boy ... but CHA 9 can be represented as attractive but not very good with people.

Yeah, I was thinking pale skin like a cloud, not crazy deep blue. I like the picture other than that, though.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-06, 10:26 PM
Ah... another case of What I saw, what the DM saw, and what I played.

Yeah, I re-read the Air thingumy in the book and wondered how a got so way off base. For some reason I was picturing the whole attribute as blond hair, blue skinned, like Baywatch, Smurf Edition. But after re-reading it I realize it is pale skin, white hair. Easy fix. My wife is super good at GIMP and may be able to help me redo the images tonight. Also, if your character to be unattractive, then that's an option. Pretty people can be socially awkward (low CHA) too, but it's all in how you want him interpreted.

I can look for a more plain (homely) looking character, this time one with lighter hair, if you'd like.

lostsole31
2012-04-06, 10:31 PM
That's okay. He can be the attractive, unsure introvert that doesn't have a lot of faith in himself.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-07, 07:38 AM
Ok. As agreed, I'm going to halt campaign progress for Easter weekend. I'll still post in OOC, and if you want to, you can post in IC and I'll RP any NPCs you choose to encounter at the Abbey, but I don't want anyone getting left behind just because family is in town, so the plot won't progress any further until Monday.

At any rate I hope everyone has a great weekend and finds lots of eggs... or chocolate. Or both. :smallamused:

zever
2012-04-08, 03:27 PM
Ok, just came back from my easter celebrations, happy easter everyone from Belgium, Europe

lostsole31
2012-04-08, 04:01 PM
Thank you, and Happy Passover week to you ... from Santa Fe, NM.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-08, 04:43 PM
Back atcha, friends! From Irving, TX.

My son made out like a bandit on the Easter Egg hunt. We painted his belly to look like an easter egg as a reward. We had lots of fun, and are still going at it. I love Easter. Then again, I also really love eggs.

We're having eggs benedict with a side of scrambled eggs for breakfast. For lunch, deviled eggs and for dinner fried egg sandwiches with a side of boiled eggs. Toss a steak in there somewhere and I will confuse this place with heaven. :smallbiggrin:

Then tomorrow, the diet, I suppose. :smallfrown:

Man on Fire
2012-04-08, 05:24 PM
I assume I hve all my equipment already and don't have to borrow anything, right?

By the way, would it be a problem if I would change Vir-Sashin's Character Alignment to Lawful Good? Game haven't really started yet and I realized that the way I play him fits more LG than LN.

Oh, and good to know you had a happy Easter. Mine was meh and last day doesn't seem to be any better.

PSinger
2012-04-08, 05:30 PM
Inex, lol! How old is your son? Mine is 11.

The eggs are killing me. I love everything you mentioned ... but all in one day is more egg-cholesterol than a person should have in 2-3 weeks. Wow. But, yes ... steak makes everything better. (Porterhouse is my favorite cut.)

odigity
2012-04-08, 06:49 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone about the Obsidian Portal wiki, as it's a great place to store/organize information - such as a list of supplies we requisition as a group:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/gitp-all-monks/wikis/main-page

PM me your email address if you want to be added to it, after which you'll be able to edit wiki pages, post on the adventure log, etc.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-08, 06:56 PM
Man on Fire: I'm assuming you have what is on your character sheet when you rolled up your character. If you go to Rassaphore Godwin and request extra equipment, then take anything on the approved list you want for free. The rest you'll have to pay for. If you want to keep equipment that is on the free list, then pay for that as well, using the price list in the PHB. I'll RP it out later, but this is only a quick post, since my wife is taking a nap. We have an early start in the morning. I work tonight until 4:30 am, then we're up again at 6 am to head out to Ft. Worth, because the wife has early derby practice. And BTW, I'm not that much of an alignment nazi. You can be LG if you want. If you started playing your character as a different alignment, then I won't stop you, I'll just issue alignment ping warnings, or an actual alignment ping. Alignments, imho, serve more as guidelines to help you RP, and are subject to change based on character development. However, I remain steadfast to RAW in the concept of alignment restrictions. Those who start acting chaotic could lose their ability to gain levels as a Monk. Those who end up like that may be counted as a fallen Monk in the eyes of the Abbey and treated accordingly if their new behavior patterns are discovered.

PSinger: Mine is a year and a half. He is busy chewing on all his plastic eggs right now... spoils of war. :smallsmile: He also seems to be putting all the eggs in his basket, and them taking them back out, then repeating. I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish, but he is being quiet, so I'm happy. :smallbiggrin: How about you and your son? Did you have a nice Easter together?

Azoth: BTW, I'm enjoying the "not it" banter. I didn't say so earlier, but I found it quite amusing. I nearly fell out of my chair when I read the uncle-brother-daddy comment. Clearly, Azoth, you have been reading my campaign notes. :smalltongue:

To All: Incidentally, for the sake of game flow, I'd like it if all things in the IC thread remained in character. If you want to talk about game strategy, carrying capacity, or what-have-you, please either post it in the OOC or from the perspective of your character.

Things that meld well with with IC stuff (like attack rolls and skill checks) are fine, but please put them in Spoiler tags with a heading so it doesn't break the flow. 4th wall stuff, like inner monologue can go in IC, if you'd like to give away inner thoughts and motivations, but I'm ok with you either leaving that out or putting it in Spoilers as well.

Do checks and such like this:
Diplomacy Check:
78,922 (To see if I can haggle with Rassaphore Godwin)

And don't forget to RP your skill checks or attacks. You can do it before or after your roll; however is best for you.

Hint: Good RP might give you a circumstance bonus to your checks or attacks or it might give you RPXP. :smallwink:

zever
2012-04-09, 12:14 PM
I was wondering about the whole "let's put everything on a mule for the whole group" thingie. I mean, I have taken a vow of poverty so I can't have any magical items and such. Now, if we have a mule for the whole group who carries magical items e.g. potions CLW, does this then mean I lose my vow because of being co-owner of these magical items, since they are a "group acquisition"?

lostsole31
2012-04-09, 12:28 PM
Inex, one of the problems with sharing my computer with my roomie is that sometimes one of us doesn't log out/ in. So, the PSinger post that mentioned some 11 year old child is funny ... because he's in his early 20s and is as gay as the day is long. :smallamused:

No, I apologize. I didn't log out of his account when I got onto the computer. LOL! Though I think the idea is kind of funny. :smallwink:

zever, I can't see that affecting you like that. Just because we mention "community property" doesn't mean that you should automatically be hit because we have a common-use item. However, use of those items is a problem for you, just as it's always been. You can benefit from the light of someone else's candle or lantern burning .... but you shouldn't handle or hold it yourself. And it's super-BS to hit the rest of us with a whammy that we can't have a community set to satisfy your vow.

Hopefully, Inex just has you "accompanying" the rest of us, the rest of us having community property.

Azoth
2012-04-09, 06:46 PM
I will snag a bit of gear when I have time to look over the books. I kind of wish we could have bought healing belts...but they are MIC.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-10, 12:44 AM
zever: First of all, the stuff that is borrowed from the Abbey is not your property, so I don't see how your vow would be broken. And there's nothing in RAW against a Vow of Poverty Monk having loot... just about them keeping loot. In fact, I believe you're required to take your share so that you have something to donate to whatever selfless cause you see fit.

lostsole31: Oh! :smallsmile: My wife and I do that too, since she posts on here as well, as missmvicious. My apologies. I just assumed that you two were a couple and one of you had a kid from a former marriage. That kind of situation is fairly common around here.

Azoth: Help yourself to magic items, alchemical items, and mundane items as listed in the DMG and PHB for now. The abbey isn't fully stocked enough for MIC contents, but it's well supplied. Max value of a single item is 800gp.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-10, 01:43 AM
I've decided to use "$" as the term for GP, to keep it simple. But I worry that it breaks character, and is a little too U.S.-centric for a worldwide forum. Does anyone have a better idea? I'm thinking of doing this:

Using Coanachoch's total as reference:

112.04g
GP 112.04

Thoughts? In IRL campaigns, we just say 112 gold and 4 copper, but that looks so wordy and weird when it's typed.

lostsole31
2012-04-10, 02:15 AM
GP is the standard GSE/ OSE (Greyhawk/ Oeridian Stock Exchange) notation for the international unit of currency known as a "gold piece." :smalltongue:

inexorabletruth
2012-04-10, 02:30 AM
Ok. We'll just use GP then, like GP 112.04.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-11, 09:43 PM
Ok, so we're ready to go then? I need someone to add all the "Group item" stuff to their character sheet. Who wants to take the lead on that?

For the one who does, please try to make note of what is on the mule, if you decide to bring one. Obviously, in order to pull items from the pack mule you must be standing next to the mule and still able to expend a move action.

Also, please establish a basic marching order. It doesn't have to be mathematically precise, unless you want it to be, at which point, here is a battle grid, for you.
BATTLE GRID! (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Monk%20PbP/BattleGrid.pdf)
But you may play it fast and loose if you want with things like, "I want to cover the right flank and stay in or near cover when possible," or "I take the point and center myself where I can get the best unobstructed view of the terrain."

Keep in mind that if you play fast and loose, then I will position you on the battle grid to wherever I can that best suits your request, within reason. I won't try to screw anyone with battle positioning, but I may not be able to read your mind. If you end up in a square that you were expecting, then just play it off as if you were getting into position when said encounter popped up and roll with it.

Also, not all encounters have to be battle scenarios. I give XP for successfully completing an encounter, whether that involves kicking the creatures butt, or coaxing valuable information from it. Of course whether you put your boot to everyone's throat or not is up to how you want to play, though you may notice alignment pings toward evil or possibly chaotic if you start turning all encounters into blood fountains full of XP.

lostsole31
2012-04-11, 10:13 PM
Now, now, bloodthirstiness is not limited to chaos ... plenty of paladins in the world with itchy pommel-fingers. :smallwink:

I'll (Coanacoch) will take the lead on the mule. I'll also walk it. My charisma by mechanics would make me a terrible ranger, but hopefully my lack of better talent and somewhat inwardness will give me something in common with the varmint. Looking for items to put on the mule ....

Mule and pack saddle (Obviously, this is the mule ... I don't want to burden the poor bugger by putting a mule with a saddle on top of him.)
Tents (2)
Firewood
Hammer
Writing Implements for Log (ink, inkpen, 5 sheets parchment)

Anyone else have ideas ... I don't want to be frivolous, nor do I want to get into classic "boy scout/ adventurer/ Batman" mentality. One of the things I want the mule to still be able to carry ... is one of us if things were dire and we needed to ferry a fallen member back to the monastery.

lostsole31
2012-04-11, 10:15 PM
Update subscription, dammit!

Man on Fire
2012-04-12, 07:28 AM
I'll take the right flank and watch for all dangers.

zever
2012-04-12, 01:23 PM
I'll go up front when we are in civilized areas, since I'm the spokesperson when we meet npc's. When we are in the wild, I will be more at the back, or still at the front if no one else wants that.

Azoth
2012-04-12, 03:28 PM
Since I have the bow and am stealth speced I will take the advanced scouting position if no one objects. I can also jump my AC up to a respectable number incase someone gets the drop on me.

Azoth
2012-04-12, 03:29 PM
Also please add rope and the manacles to the mule. Never know if we will need to detain/arrest someone.

Also while not phb or dmg may I buy spools of candle whick? They cost 2sp each and come in 50' rolls. I was thinking to use them as timers and trip lines since it takes a measured time to burn a set length of it and it is thin enough to thread through bells and such.

lostsole31
2012-04-12, 06:35 PM
Also please add rope and the manacles to the mule. Never know if we will need to detain/arrest someone.
Inex, my sheet ("Other Notes") is updated with the list on my post above, and with these items.

Automonks, roll out ...

inexorabletruth
2012-04-12, 07:00 PM

Also while not phb or dmg may I buy spools of candle whick? They cost 2sp each and come in 50' rolls. I was thinking to use them as timers and trip lines since it takes a measured time to burn a set length of it and it is thin enough to thread through bells and such.

I can't think of a single abbey on any planet that wouldn't have candle wicks. You may have them, but as they are not a mission approved item, you will need to purchase them. In the interest of moving the plot forward, we can just say you went to Rassaphore Godwin, bought the amount you need, and he took the appropriate amount from you. Go ahead and deduct the value of what you purchased from your sp stash and log the corresponding amount of wick onto your character sheet.

Incidentally lostsole31, don't sweat it too hard on the alignment pings. Long before I issue an alignment ping I ask what your character's motivations are for acting out of alignment... especially if the alignment ping can affect your ability to take levels, like a chaos ping would for a monk. If I'm not sold on your explanations, then I give you a heads up that further similar actions could result in an alignment ping. If you totally disagree with the ping and can find a RAW reason why I'm wrong, then I'll take it back and give you an internet for doing your homework. :smallwink: But for the record, I've never given an alignment ping that a player thought was unjustified. I try to respect the spirit of RP as much as humanly possible.

lostsole31
2012-04-12, 08:26 PM
Does Coanacoch know what types of birds these things might be?Arcana & Religion are same modifier [roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-04-12, 08:42 PM
Does Coanacoch know what types of birds these things might be?Arcana & Religion are same modifier [roll0]

You are fairly confident that they are not constructs, dragons, or magical beasts, nor do you have any reason to believe that they are deities or undead monsters.

You do feel a strange affinity towards it, however.

lostsole31
2012-04-12, 08:56 PM
Now, I understand the concept of Knowledge skills and 10/15 + CR and all that, but there are some things that just make sense regardless of the monster type.

If they are couatls, then there would be no reason how two people that grew up in a culture dealing with countless motifs of these things shouldn't recognize them ... we might not know "creature type" ... we might not know game-mechanics data, even though we might know a mix of real/false legendary data concerning them.

But to say that they are unrecognizeable is like saying a Bushman on the Serengeti doesn't recognize a lion because he doesn't have K: Nature ... he might not understand a D&D-nomenclature of what it is ... but he still knows what it is.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-12, 09:32 PM
I take stuff like that into consideration. I assume that you have common knowledge (at least the name and perhaps whether or not it is dangerous) of all things indigenous to the region, except for rare things, like what is flying above you. These birds are abnormal, which is why they warrant some degree of attention. However, by RAW, anything that requires a Knowledge check that you don't have ranks in is based on common knowledge only and requires an INT check DC10 to get even that common knowledge. Which in this case, is mostly what you see. I've taken into account that these birds are flying high in the air as well. If the distance between you and the birds were reduced, you may be able to deduce more facts about them.

Still, that doesn't mean the house-ruler in me doesn't begrudgingly agree with you. :smallwink: I was interested in trying a RAW exclusive campaign, but if we'd all prefer, we can adopt an old house rule that I used for all of my campaigns back when I DM'd regularly.

Here is an excerpt from it, called the knowledge tree, based on the concept that some knowledge bleeds well into others:

Knowledge Tree (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Monk%20PbP/Knowledge%20Tree.pdf)

The rule is quite simple. You perform a Knowledge check, and if it is at least close to the type of knowledge check needed to make the guess, then you take a -5 penalty to your check and compare the results as if you'd made the correct check. For instance, someone who knows a lot about architecture and engineering would be able to apply his knowledge of pulleys and levers well enough to understand many types of constructs... especially warforged and effigies.

However if the connection between your knowledge check and the monster you're trying to understand is only vaguely related, like Arcana is to Geography, then you may be able to piece together that there are some regions that are known for construct exports, or tend to be run (or are overrun) by a certain type of construct. So the information you'd be able to provide would be far less useful in combat. You'd take a -10 to your check.

Thoughts?

inexorabletruth
2012-04-12, 09:34 PM
If they are couatls, then there would be no reason how two people that grew up in a culture dealing with countless motifs of these things shouldn't recognize them

LOL! I missed that. Fine, I'll give away this much. They aren't Coautls... keep your shirt on. It's a bit too early to tie in your cultural background to the campaign. :smallamused:

lostsole31
2012-04-12, 11:59 PM
Post #1

I didn't study it, I merely glanced over it ... but I like the idea of the knowledge tree. I imagine there would be times when there might be a closer tie than -5, but also that different knowledge gives different information about something. (For example, many outer planar creatures might be known in different ways depending on if you are using K Planes or K Religion.)

Makes sense. In my campaign, there are times where the confluence of something's rarity is such that you need two or more types of Knowledge or the ability to piece together everything is rare.

I allow Aids on Knowledge checks ... two colleagues chatting about some conundrum together, but I RARELY allow a third. I use Complete Adventurer's expanded skill useage for Aids to be higher bonuses depending on the aid roll (including for AC or attack bonuses, but we see those more rarely than for skills). What I don't like is when a whole adventuring party ... especially when only two, for example, have any competency ... and we have the Aid train. If it were that easy, kingdom's would never need that one guy who's The Sage ... everyone with half a rank would Aid each other into the mysteries of the Universe in no time. But, I digress.

I like it. I won't put too much notice in it, though, honestly ... because neither of our characters really have much Knowledge .... just a baseline amount to cover monastic traditions and monastic philosophies.

Post #2

Yeah, sorry ... that was reactionary ... but mainly cause I just dealt with something like this in another game. (Though that was resolved.)

Honestly, had it been couatls this soon and so far away .... I would've felt cheated somehow, that it would've been a very bad nod to go "yes, they're exotic, that's it, let's move on" kind of feel. It would've been sooo sleazy, so I'm quite glad it isn't .... that, and couatls? four? here? at their power level? Yeah.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-13, 12:48 AM
To be specific, it's 2 birds... each with 4 wings.

As for Aid Another, I forgot that bit. My house rule has an addendum that eliminates Aid Another with Knowledge checks in the strictest sense of the term, since that would effectively break the game. Instead, I secretly tell each person what they know about a creature, and they have to confer that info in-character with the other players. It works a bit more smoothly in IRL campaigns due to my ability to just highlight what they know, show it to them, and then pull the info away, but I suppose a PM will suffice in this situation.

However, by RAW, I have no issue with as many people using Aid Another with Knowledge checks as long as it's by RAW, which is to say, they have to have ranks in the appropriate Knowledge category in order to Aid. Since almost all of you have ranks in religion and arcana that means you will be able to discuss amongst yourselves quite astutely in all matters magical and theological but may here crickets chirp when trying to have a stimulating conversation about dungeons, nobility, history, etc.

All things said, I'm enjoying the RAW approach heretofore, and unless everyone (or at least the majority) wants me to use my house-rule, then I'd like to keep it that way.

lostsole31
2012-04-13, 01:20 AM
Looks good to me!

And, yeah ... NOBODY shold ever be able to Aid another when dealing with a skill that can't be used untrained, anyway.

zever
2012-04-13, 01:54 AM
I'm fine with whatever rules you want to play with, I'm not much of a "oh, but the rules say this..."-player anyway. I most often just ask the question and leave the decisions about what can or can't be done to the DM's discretion.

odigity
2012-04-13, 11:09 PM
I'll take up the rear since I'm better in a support role. Also, my Spot's pretty good, so I can keep an eye out for anyone following us.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-14, 11:15 AM
BTW, I changed "skulking" to "sulking." I just noticed that typo and fixed it, since that does change the image somewhat.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-14, 01:08 PM
BTW, I was reading Murphy's Law, and compared the "riding dog" joke with the one on OoTS, and can't help but agree. Riding dogs seem kind of like a silly idea.

If you'd like, I'm prepared to add this
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-v2CQx3f73bI/TYElS7Cf12I/AAAAAAAAArY/ugt1Z7XuE5s/minihorse.jpg
as a playable option for a pint-sized mount if it should ever come up in the game. I'm not very good at down-sizing creatures, so if someone has a black-belt in build mechanics, you're welcome to put together some stats on them. I believe Dungeonscape covers the rules on miniaturizing normal sized creatures.

PSinger
2012-04-14, 02:51 PM
Ulyono whispers: "I am the most non-threatening member of the group, being small and carrying no weapons. If I present myself and they attack, we will know their intentions and can respond accordingly. Shall I put them to the test?"

I have great AC, init, and can turn invisible. I'm not good offensively, but I should be able to avoid their initial attacks safely.
You'be been ninja'd ... but if others hang back and you shadow Necahual, you can just as easily get a feeling for how things are going to be.

And, no, she doesn't stop ....

inexorabletruth
2012-04-15, 12:33 PM
Ok kiddies, here's the overhead. I can't really call it a battle grid, since it isn't battle, but it'll help give us a feel for what's going on.

I'm sorry that it's patchy and lo-fi. I'm using freeware stuff here, and struggling with it immensely. It's a learning process... shrug.

Anyways, here it is:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Monk%20PbP/Battle%20Grid/BattleGrid.jpg

PSinger
2012-04-15, 09:04 PM
Necahual's Initiative: [roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-04-16, 12:21 AM
PSinger: :smallamused: Is that a typo or are you stating that you would like to enter initiative? All I need right now is an Intimidate check, but if you plan to attack, then we'll start rolling Init.

PSinger
2012-04-16, 12:43 AM
Ugh. Sorry, typo. It was an Intimidate check ... I have a +1 on Initiative. I just got home and it was 2nd tech/ 1st dress.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-16, 01:14 PM
As you can see, I did the map on a spreadsheet because it has built in coordinates. If you wish to move to a specific place, feel free to call it like bingo.

For instance, if Necahual would like to have a sit on the log near the fire PSinger could say "I move to L10."

Unless someone knows a better way to do PbP mapping, this is the best I've got. :smallredface: But I'm open to suggestions.

PSinger
2012-04-16, 01:26 PM
Honestly, because we're not in battle, I'm not defining squares right now ... only intentions.

Necahual waits for the others to catch up, and she'll leader her brother (who is leading the mule) around the southern side of the fire on the road and towards the bridge ... and beyond .... unless something else happens.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-16, 11:57 PM
BTW, I'm so amused by the Versace reference. :smallamused: Especially since his flesh is effectively reptilian leather.

But I'm starting to feel sorry for little Vir-Sashi. He's trying so hard, but he's such a scary, ugly looking thing. You've all made some really fun characters. :smallsmile:

lostsole31
2012-04-17, 12:52 AM
Don't worry, Vir ... if you die, we won't turn you into shoes so people can walk on you.

We'll make you into a pouch and have it enchanted with an extradimensional space for magical accessories.

Azoth
2012-04-17, 10:42 PM
Can I turn his head into a hat...and use his teeth/claws to make a necklace? It will be tastefully done and look quite nice...I promise.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-18, 01:13 AM
You want to dress like Paul Hogan?

http://www.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Entertainment/2010/CrocDundee.jpg

inexorabletruth
2012-04-18, 01:59 AM
BTW, please let me know if I'm pacing this too slowly. I'm trying to give some time for character building and other RP. If we want to get on to the action, I can begin the fast-forwarding process.

PSinger
2012-04-18, 04:26 AM
It's all good. Necahual is stoic and not particularly chatty. That doesn't mean don't bother with RP for everyone else ... that IS part of her RP.

Azoth
2012-04-18, 05:11 AM
Giving time for RP is good man. Helps us learn about one another, and gives chances for comedy and such to ensue.

odigity
2012-04-18, 08:42 PM
My die roll (for cooking) didn't work. Anyone know what I might have done wrong?

Azoth
2012-04-18, 11:15 PM
Chang the = to a ]

lostsole31
2012-04-18, 11:39 PM
We've spiraled way out of IC on the IC ...

Coanacoch...
Grapple: [roll0]
Concentration: [roll1]

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHA!!!

So, all I can think of is a scene from MULAN, when the one person is trying to fish by grabbing quickly at the water, and ends up pulling another person in by accidentally grabbing their foot.

Sorry, Vir, I guess we got too close, huh? :smalltongue:

zever
2012-04-19, 12:53 AM
My rolls for the wood searching:
Spot:[roll0]
Survival[roll1]

inexorabletruth
2012-04-19, 01:55 AM
LMAO! I was tempted lostsole31... soooo tempted. :smallamused: But I wanted to see Vir-Sashi's roll before I pull out the heavy slap-stick-shenanigans artillery.

PSinger
2012-04-19, 02:44 PM
And with Zever's rolls above.

"Oh, look! A sinkhole. Hey, check out this Waaaahhhhhhhhhhh......"

inexorabletruth
2012-04-19, 07:21 PM
lostsole31, Man on Fire, I hope you don't mind, but I had to make some of your rolls for you based on your character sheet stats. If you wish to make your own rolls for the grapple checks, please refer to the steps listed on pg. 156 of the PHB. I always feel weird doing other people's attack rolls (it feels a little like god-moding to me), so if you didn't like your results, you're welcome to re-roll them.

Also odigity... I don't care if you use the forum dice roller. For realz... I hate the dice roller, tbh and never use it unless a DM makes me. You can take 10 on making dinner if you'd like, but if you want to take on a DC challenge and risk a roll, I'm prepared to offer bennies for making particularly hearty or particularly delicious meals.

DC 5 = Simple meal
DC 10 = Hearty meal
DC 15 = Special (rare, delicacy, or family secret) recipe

RPXP if you describe it well enough to make my mouth water. :smallwink:

The rest... carry on. I'm enjoying watching you all get into the character. :smallbiggrin:

inexorabletruth
2012-04-19, 11:08 PM
For a reptile, Vir-Sashi handles cold water like a boss. :smallcool: You passed your Fortitude save.

lostsole31
2012-04-20, 12:37 AM
Quite alright, Inex ... I do the same as a DM so as not to waste ridiculous amounts of time.

New roll set...
Fort save [roll0]
Concentration [roll1]
Grapple [roll2]

lostsole31
2012-04-20, 12:39 AM
Update subscription ...

lostsole31
2012-04-20, 12:49 AM
Update subscription ... again.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-20, 12:53 AM
Update subscription ... again.

:smallconfused: What do you mean "Update subscription?" Is there something I should be doing?

inexorabletruth
2012-04-20, 12:55 AM
Quite alright, Inex ... I do the same as a DM so as not to waste ridiculous amounts of time.

New roll set...
Fort save [roll0]
Concentration [roll1]
Grapple [roll2]

Great Fort Save!

You still lose the 1 point of CON damage, but will stabilize the next time it comes up, which will be in one hour.

lostsole31
2012-04-20, 03:58 AM
"Update subscription" ...

A lot of times I will get server timeouts when I post. When I go back to the thread, it will show my post, but the subscription page will not have updated. I usually just repost and then go back and delete the extra (or extras, as sometimes I have to do this several times). The problem is that when I make a roll, unless I duplicate making the rolls, then I can't simply "redo" that post. "Update subscription" is just an extraneous double-post that I make to ensure that the subscription is updated for everyone else to see.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-20, 11:42 AM
Ohhhhhhhh. Yeah, those "500" errors or whatever. :smallannoyed: Hate those. That's a clever way of dealing with it. Perhaps I'll try that next time the server farts out my post.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-20, 12:23 PM
@ Man on Fire (Vir-Sashi): I'm going to say that a fish on land is stunned, prone and drowning for the AC effect (-6 to AC).

I'll post your grapple results here.
1. No AoO (Improved Grapple and opponent's size category = Tiny)
2. Melee Touch Attack to grab: 23
3. Hold (the Grapple Check you rolled): 9
4. Attack while grappling (I think that's going to be a Coup de grace in this case)

inexorabletruth
2012-04-21, 12:56 AM
Lostsole31... I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at your last post. :smallredface:

Poor guy. I wanted him to catch a fish so badly. Que sera. The dice giveth and the dice taketh away. In this case, they gaveth your character a cold and tooketh away your character's dignity. :smallwink:

On the other hand, the wife and I thought Vir-Sashi's side of the story was adorable.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-21, 01:00 AM
Update... subscription?

The forum is eating my posts. :smallconfused:

Rawhide
2012-04-21, 02:51 AM
Sometimes the forum will not update the thread correctly and you will not see the new post, despite knowing that it is there. Do not panic, it is still there and you can view it.

This is a known issue and we ask the following two things:
Do NOT post again in order to make it visible.
Do NOT post again in order to make it visible, then delete your post.

If you would like to view the post, you can hit reply, without actually replying, then scroll down to the Topic Review area, below the Reply to Thread input box. But, do not reply just to fix the bug, not even if you delete it.

The problem will fix itself on its own.

lostsole31
2012-04-21, 05:19 AM
It's not just about being able to view a post ... which seems simple enough ... but about being able to update the subscriptions page. Unless it shows "green" then there's a good chance ... even with the post updated ... that the thread will be ignored because members of that thread don't realize it's been updated.

That's the real crux .... communicating to fellow players that more information exists.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-21, 11:19 AM
Thanks Rawhide. :smallsmile:

It took some time and a few experiments on different threads, but I eventually figured out that my posts were posting; I just couldn't see them. It had me worried; especially since I'm DM'ing a campaign right now. :smallredface:

inexorabletruth
2012-04-22, 05:57 AM
@ odigity: You hit the DC. Please feel free to describe what you're cooking. If you don't want to describe it, then shoot me a PM so I can add it to the story line in my own words.

Incidentally, players who eat your food can add +2 on Fort checks. It's not a spoiler to say it's going to get cold tonight, since it's early Spring. A check may be in order if you don't use equipment that is designed to protect from the cold.

@ PSinger: We'll call that a long-term care check and say that his CON penalty will be restored at twice the normal rate. :smallconfused: So... I think he's back to normal within 4 hours.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-23, 04:00 AM
It's been over 24 hours since the last RP themed post, so in the interest of keeping up with game flow, I'm going to advance the plot. If anyone wanted to add anything, please post in OOC your intention for the story, and we'll rewrite history if it affects the story line.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-23, 12:05 PM
Made some rolls to determine who snaps to attention, and who wakes up a little slower. Just FYI.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-23, 01:01 PM
R.I.P. "Richard" Clark

67 years of music broadcasting wasn't nearly enough, but we sure did appreciate what you gave when you could. :smallsmile:

zever
2012-04-23, 01:13 PM
Initiative:[roll0]

Man on Fire
2012-04-23, 01:30 PM
initiative
[roll0]

lostsole31
2012-04-23, 06:37 PM
Coanacoch's Initiative [roll0]

PSinger
2012-04-23, 06:44 PM
Necahual's Initiative
[roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-04-24, 01:05 PM
Since it's been three days since odigity posted, I'm going to wait until this evening, after I finish my 4e campaign and then post his initiative for him if he hasn't by then. That will be roughly 10 or 11 hours from now.

Let me know if this is a little too strict. I just want to make sure the campaign keeps moving forward. My wife is been in a campaign since Feb. 10th and they've only just now left the tavern... have not left the town yet. All the PCs haven't met each other yet.

Man on Fire
2012-04-24, 01:36 PM
Yeah, that's aproblem with PbP games, they are slow.

Azoth
2012-04-24, 06:01 PM
Some slower than others but if you have a good group sometimes the wait can be worth it.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-24, 06:08 PM
I've noticed. :smallsigh: I'm already a PC in two PbP campaigns, DM'ing this one and trying to join 2 more, and I have my irl 4e campaign once a week (which cancelled tonight), and I still have time on my hands for more D&D.

Of course, I'm a fan of the format. PbP gives me time to check my work before I post. I always feel a lot of pressure to rule fairly on campaigns (can't stand god-moding and railroading DMs), which is why all my IRL campaigns are core only. But with this, I can look things up and make sure I'm not over-ruling something that a player should be able to do, or neglecting an opportunity to let a rule add a fun new challenge to the game. Because of that, I don't have to over-prepare for every possible contingency (you should see my campaign notes for my last campaign as an IRL DM). It's nice... a much more light-duty way to DM. :smallsmile:

But still... all this thumb-twiddling is a bit tedious. That's why I think 3 days of inactivity should be the cap.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-24, 06:38 PM
Well... I just finished baking an experiment: Honey-Glazed Rice Cookies.

rice, flour, sesame, cinnamon, sugar, milk, honey

I'm not sure if I like it. It tastes good but rice gets really crunchy when you bake it... like really crunchy. I boiled it a bit on the creamy side, but perhaps I should've boiled the rice until it turned into more of a paste.

So... that's what we're eating for dinner: Honey-Glazed Gravel Cookies. :smallfrown:

lostsole31
2012-04-24, 10:10 PM
3 days is standard in my campaigns ... but their PCs actions are co-opted by the DM to the best and most honest manner in which I can represent how the character is played by the player. There are no weird 'bubbles' that take the character out of existence ... that totally destroys the illusion we build here.

But life happens, so 3 days is not an expulsion. If there are several actions missed, then I try and contact that player ... and so on.

Azoth
2012-04-24, 11:18 PM
Inex, you should try a form of Juke. Boil the rice into a paste like liquid or slow cook it in a crockpot all day until you get a creamy consistancy. Season to taste and add a meat of your choice in small pieces or shredded throughout. Not bad at all...once you get used to it...that is.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-24, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the words of advice, Azoth! :smallsmile: I'm neither a great cook or a great baker, but I thought I'd surprise my wife with something sweet when she got home. She appreciated the disaster for what it was, but I wish I could've done better.

I'll try that next time, friend. :smallbiggrin:

inexorabletruth
2012-04-25, 01:53 AM
The dice were unkind. My apologies Ulyono. :smalleek:

Initiative:

Li
Coanacoch
Necahual
Han Chun Li
Pidgeon
Monster
Vir-Sashi
Ulyono
Mule

Azoth
2012-04-25, 02:21 AM
Heh anytime dude. I grew up in a sicilian household in new orleans. I cook constantly at home. If you ever want recipes or advice feel free to pm me. I can give you good old southern recipes or sicilian/italian ones...and even some health food...though no southerner likes to admit they /can/ cook healthy.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-25, 02:32 AM
Tomorrow's payday. I think the wife and I are going to take a cab and let someone else do the cooking. I crave sushi.

Azoth
2012-04-25, 02:56 AM
Right now I crave a burrito...i forsee a taco bell run in my future. I also want mountain dew, but fear not for i have funions a plenty!

PSinger
2012-04-25, 04:25 AM
Inex, you posted four minutes after my post, so you probably didn't see Necahual's staff attack (just above your own in IC) .... she moved up and smacked it hard, right?

inexorabletruth
2012-04-25, 11:16 AM
PSinger, you smacked the bajeezus out of it, and turned my CR appropriate random encounter into what will likely be a merry jaunt through some warm up exercises. :smallamused: But the server started backing up right when I was going to reply, so I had to call it a night.

Azoth: There is no way to refuse the siren's call of Taco Bell. It's the only fast food I can't resist inexplicably. Go now, and fulfill your destiny.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-26, 03:06 AM
Sorry about the slow posting today. MissMVicious has been hogging the computer rebuilding her mid-level character. I'm jealous... kind of wanted to be in that campaign as a Desmodu Fighter. Stupid freakishly high LA.

Azoth
2012-04-26, 03:25 AM
I know the feeling. I have always wanted to play in a campaign with a large amount of free la to build upon for a character base...never gotten the chance to though.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-26, 12:51 PM
You could post a request on the PbP... I'd join as an interested player. :smallredface:

It was my first attempt with a monster as a PC. I normally play humans, but they were having a campaign where the ruler of the land was exiling monsters (all non-human races) because he thought of them as a scourge of the land.

I did a lot of research to find a monster that looked terrifying but wasn't actually evil. I found the Desmodu... huge, enormous fangs, large black claws, coarse reddish brown fur and black beady eyes... typically good aligned. Perfect. :smallsmile: They even had great fluff about being natural enemies of the Drow who were routed and decimated in a war against them. The backstory was going to be great- kind of a metaphor for wartime collateral damage. He was going to be the proud, stoic warrior trying to make a new life in the land to which he and other monsters were fleeing from the persecution. Then I read that Lvl 12 limit for the campaign, looked at the LA on the Desmodu, and just gave up. I'm warming the bench as an alternate now. Sure, I could've picked a different monster, but I wanted Desmodu, so it's worth the wait, though with all the super heavy RP, I doubt they're going to level up to 15 (minimum level before I can join) before the campaign breaks apart.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-26, 01:05 PM
@ Everyone:
If you wish to describe your attack in detail, please do so. Combat RPXP can always be rewarded, and in some cases, I will offer circumstance bonuses to attack or damage if it makes sense to do so. I'm keeping it RAW, so no called shot bonuses will be given, but if the strategy is smart and would likely cause a bonus after-effect IRL (my wife and I have had some traditional weapons training, which will help out on judgment calls like that), then I'm more likely to play off of that.

I'd love to read how you visualize your characters in combat. So dig deep into your theatrical side and have some fun with it. :smallbiggrin:

inexorabletruth
2012-04-27, 01:52 AM
FYI, PSinger, the weasel (not the pigeon) is attacking you. I did a pronoun count and realized my grammar may have been misleading.

Although... I may one day create a flock of dire pidgeons for a just-for-yucks campaign. What a sh*tstorm that would be, am I right? :smallbiggrin:

inexorabletruth
2012-04-28, 05:04 AM
It's cool PSinger. She took no damage. The weasel couldn't hold the grapple long enough to make his CON drain attack.

Also, I'm posting for odigity for now, since he's been inactive in the IC since the 21st. Two weeks of inactivity, and I'll post for re-recruitment. Odigity, if you're reading, you're welcome to take charge of your character any time between now and May 5th. If you haven't taken over your character by then, I'll assume you've withdrawn interest, write you out and open a recruitment thread.

Man on Fire
2012-04-28, 06:01 AM
@ Everyone:
If you wish to describe your attack in detail, please do so. Combat RPXP can always be rewarded, and in some cases, I will offer circumstance bonuses to attack or damage if it makes sense to do so. I'm keeping it RAW, so no called shot bonuses will be given, but if the strategy is smart and would likely cause a bonus after-effect IRL (my wife and I have had some traditional weapons training, which will help out on judgment calls like that), then I'm more likely to play off of that.

I'd love to read how you visualize your characters in combat. So dig deep into your theatrical side and have some fun with it. :smallbiggrin:

Yessir, describing action scenes is my weaker side so it's gonna be good writing excersise.

PSinger
2012-04-28, 11:58 AM
FYI, PSinger, the weasel (not the pigeon) is attacking you. I did a pronoun count and realized my grammar may have been misleading.

Although... I may one day create a flock of dire pidgeons for a just-for-yucks campaign. What a sh*tstorm that would be, am I right? :smallbiggrin:
Pigeon ... a bird.

Pidgeon, Walter ... an actor.

Yes, a flock of Walter Pidgeons would indeed be terrifying. :smallwink:

inexorabletruth
2012-04-28, 01:03 PM
Dire... Walter... Pigeons. :smallamused: Touche.

I give us pigeon poop jokes, PSinger gives us the golden age of radio and silent film puns. :smalltongue: This DM is amused.

PSinger
2012-04-29, 01:23 AM
*curtseys cutely and demurely*

inexorabletruth
2012-04-29, 03:47 AM
Yessir, describing action scenes is my weaker side so it's gonna be good writing excersise.

A fair point. While I prefer you to write out your action, if you wish to use visuals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=119rJSY5G0g&feature=related) to aid your descriptions, you're welcome to do so, as long as that's not the only way you describe your combat.

Azoth
2012-04-29, 03:14 PM
Dire Weasle stew anyone?

inexorabletruth
2012-04-30, 07:24 AM
Lol. :smallbiggrin: That's the first thing that came to my mind.

I once threw and encounter of bears at a party who were hunting for dinner. The PCs killed them, then started rolling some Knowledge Nature checks. The Ranger 20'd that roll and they figured out how to make use of every square inch of those bears. I had to do some rapid-fire googling to come up with some applicable uses for bear parts.

Steak from the meat, bindings from the sinew, tools, weapons, and armor enhancement from the bone, winter blankets and hide armor from the skins. It was a survival campaign, and they worked it. I have to admit, that was some stressful DM'ing when they decided to go all Bear Grylls on me, but it was still a lot of fun.

Anyway, if you guys have plans for the Weasel, have at it, or turn in for the night. I'll give it until tonight before I post again in IC. As for Ulyono, I'll try to figure out how to put him to better use. As I've mentioned before, I've only ever played a Monk once, so this will be a bit of a learning curve, but I don't want to gimp the character just because I'm being lazy. However, if one of you would like to take over Ulyono for combat purposes, you're welcome to do so. Just post interest in OOC, and I'll give it over to the first one who speaks up. Until then, I'll run him until we get to Cliffside, then send him out to pasture as an NPC.

Azoth
2012-04-30, 06:43 PM
I think I am going to start making Li kind of like a native american spirit walker. Manifesting his powers to make him a better scout/killer, and using what he can from the corpses of fallen animals. Humanoid or other enemies, he will atleast try and take a trophy. You know, an ear here, finger their, tounges of casters, coin purses of cowards...

inexorabletruth
2012-04-30, 10:10 PM
@Azoth: I was kind of seeing that in your character too. I hope the picture I picked for your character didn't influence your style of play, but it's a really cool interpretation of a monk.

The fantasy world can't be inhabited entirely by crackas and asians.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-30, 10:19 PM
Vir-Sashi and Li:
Cleaning an animal is going to give you a surgical knowledge of creatures like this. I'm going to give you a +4 circumstance bonus to your Knowledge: Nature checks involving non-magical mammals hereon out, and full knowledge of Dire Weasels. Just crack open the MM1 and have a look if you face one again.

I know this is kind of steep for a circumstance bonus, but seriously, you guys are basically giving the furry fella an autopsy. There won't be many secrets left. Without ranks in Knowledge: Nature, this give you an effective Knowledge check of 14, but that should be enough to know about most mundane mammals.

Anything else the crew wants to do before you head back to bed?

Azoth
2012-04-30, 11:13 PM
I don't think it did. I usually play paranoid rogues, guerilla fighters, or unseen seers. So the party scout role is one i am comfortable with, and know well. I am also the type to pack tools for every occassion once wbl allows it.

That is a sweet bonus for disecting a dire weasel. Can't wait to see how that comes into play later on.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-02, 12:05 PM
TBH, Azoth, I wasn't expecting you to fight a Dire Weasel either. I was about as surprised as you were. I typically do encounter-by-environment, not encounter-by-level to enhance verisimilitude, but I needed something fair and simple to test out your combat methods and capabilities. I used a chart, based on creatures that were climate/terrain and CR appropriate and hoped for the best. The dice landed on Dire Weasel, so that's why your character is standing over 700 lbs of weasel carcass. :smallwink: So you're welcome for the bonus, but there's no need to thank me. You earned it.

BTW, you guys kicked butt, even with a couple members not even able to join in the fight. I feel a little safer doing encounter-by-environment from now on.

Azoth
2012-05-02, 06:35 PM
Heh I know what you mean. I am not too big on always meshing CR to an area or even using monsters constantly when I DM. Grimtooth is my buddy heheh. I hope continue to impress and learn more teamwork oriented strategies as we go. Also...Dibs on the head and forelimb fur. Sooo making a head dress and arm warmers out of it.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-04, 05:05 AM
Posting results OOC because I don't have anything to add IC right now.

Li's Fatigue Damage:
[roll0] non-lethal

Vir-Sahi pulls through. He seems to be one tough nut.

We're just waiting on Coanacoch, who is quickly earning the name Necacoch for posting as PSinger. :smalltongue:

Azoth
2012-05-04, 06:05 AM
About how much of the weight is in bones, just out of curiousity?

inexorabletruth
2012-05-04, 03:19 PM
I honestly don't know. Google failed me on this one.

But based on what I do know of weasel and ferret anatomy, roughly half the body weight would be fat, muscle and sinew. Bones, organs, blood, hide and fur would make up the rest. Weasel fur is dense, and its hide is proportionately thick by my memory, which is a big part of why they're so tough irl.

I'm going to just have to do a hand-wave ruling on this:
Weasel = 700 lbs
Available meat = 350 lbs
Hide = 50 lbs
Organs and blood = 75 lbs
Bones = 200 lbs
Remnants = 25 lbs (nerves, mucus, waste, etc)

You rolled well on your Survival check, but I countered your productivity on harvesting meat with your lack of Knowledge: Nature. Since this was an experiment for your character, not all of your cuts were efficient, so only 300 lbs of the meat was actually usable (which is still 10 months worth of rations, so it's been a productive night).

The next time something comes up, I'll take your newfound knowledge of rodent anatomy into consideration.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-04, 03:23 PM
Azoth, neverming about Li's fatigue damage.

Remember Ulyono's cooking? You get a +2 to Fort saves, which pushes you over the DC.

Rolling Coanacoch's Fort Save now:
[roll0]

Passed like a boss. :smallamused:

Azoth
2012-05-04, 03:52 PM
Ok boys and girls, how are we divying up carry the carcass around. We have 550lb worth of crud to carry unless someone really wants the sinews for rope/bow strings. I can carry about 150lb max with the rest of my gear...we need people to lug the other 400lb to town. Any volunteers and if so how much will you carry?

inexorabletruth
2012-05-05, 01:58 AM
*crickets chirping*

LMAO! I think you scared them away, Azoth. They have got to be looking at your 550 lbs of freshly carves animal scraps and going, "Uhhhhhh."

@ PSinger: I'm jealous. I'm a huge fan of the theatre but never get to go. It sounds like lostsole31 is having a great time! :smallcool: Like I said before, pictures are always welcome in the OOC, if you guys are willing to post them. As for your finals, congratulations on making in through another semester alive, and I hope you do well!

@ Everyone: Anyone want to try their hand at DM'ing a 3.5 campaign? Several alternates and myself from the Privateers campaign decided to strike out on our own and make a new recruitment thread for a DM. The characters are already built, but we still need a DM. It's a Privateer campaign, so the prospecting DM may want to be familiar with aquatic rules and such, and possibly own or have easy access to Stormwrack.

If you're interested, become our hero and post here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241618

We're having a hard time finding a DM willing to adopt our ragtag crew.

Azoth
2012-05-05, 04:36 AM
Hey just wait unti i pick up some craft skills, and profession taxedermy. Then I can stuff things like this and post them up around the abbey as cool decorations! Or hell what would the skill be to make rations and such out of these guys?

Oh dear god...animate object on taxidermied dire animals...Bwahahahahaha!

inexorabletruth
2012-05-05, 01:25 PM
Hey just wait unti i pick up some craft skills, and profession taxedermy. Then I can stuff things like this and post them up around the abbey as cool decorations!

Lol! Sounds creepy. :smallbiggrin:

Or hell what would the skill be to make rations and such out of these guys?
Profession: Cook, minimum 1 rank.

Meta-Knowledge Spoilers:
Drying meat takes the better part of a day (about 10 hours), and you'd need a way to hang the meat and cure it in anti-microbials (like salt, or strong liquor). Ulyono has ranks in Profession: Cooking, so he can handle that business. But in the meantime, the meat will need to be stored where dirt won't get in and the smell wont get out. Fortunately, it's still early spring. The cool air will keep the meat fresh longer, but spoilage could still be a concern. I believe all of you (concerned the technology era-equivalent of a fantasy setting) has seen meat being cured and dried at the monastery and are at least familiar enough with the concept. But the details of it are better left to someone with at least one rank in Profession: Cooking, since there's enough that could go wrong in the process that the meat could be ruined, or even become a poison if improperly done.

Azoth
2012-05-05, 02:01 PM
It makes me a bit glad that this is not a high op game. That way we can afford to have some silly parts to our char sheets. It is always more fun when you can afford to be goofy and unoptimized.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-08, 09:25 AM
I'm with you there. If you take a look at my PbP character sheets, they are all low-op. It's what I prefer. It's more fun when there's a chance you'll screw up.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-08, 09:39 AM
BTW, I've found a replacement for odigity. He's a lurker on our campaign who's posted interest as an alternate before.

I'd like to know what the group thinks. Should we integrate him now, or wait until it's plot appropriate? I could "tweak" the plot so that Ulyono has to go back to the monastery for some reason, but the new guy has been sent in his place.

Bottom line, I don't like playing DMPCs. It's a necessary evil when a player drops out, but I'd rather be done with Ulyono as soon as possible. So if you guys are willing to ignore a little bit of plot cheese, I can get your team set up with a new monk ready for action... and he posts a lot too.

Man on Fire
2012-05-08, 11:21 AM
I'm okay with this, if others are.

zever
2012-05-08, 12:25 PM
I'm also fine with that, just drop him in and I will play along ;)

PSinger
2012-05-08, 02:28 PM
Sounds good to me.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-08, 11:42 PM
Hey all! I'm the new guy, and ill go post IC in a bit. I just can't. Seem to fond how HP is done. Max at first then average?

inexorabletruth
2012-05-09, 01:41 AM
It's by RAW. Max HP at lvl1, then roll for HP.

Don't worry if you get blah HP or stats. This isn't DM vs. PC here, and good combat RP could result in attack or damage bonuses, as well as RPXP.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-09, 01:57 AM
If possible please add your character sheet to your sig, Vix. If not, then post a link to it in the OOC. odigity set up a wonderful website that has been an invaluable resource for me, but I don't know if he will regularly update it or even keep it up if he's not playing. So, that said I'm going to need easier access to some character sheets.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-09, 02:10 AM
I'll add it to my sig, a soon as I get some rolls done.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Azoth
2012-05-09, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the team Vix. Please don't get too offended at Li being a bit of a blunt jerk. He means well, but is well a pain to deal with.

Azoth
2012-05-09, 09:26 AM
Hey Inex...check out the recruitment forum for Freaks on a Leash...hopefully we find a DM soon, but would so love to have you in the group.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-09, 10:09 AM
Ok, sounds fun. :smallsmile: I'll poke my head in.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-09, 10:51 AM
Welcome to the team Vix. Please don't get too offended at Li being a bit of a blunt jerk. He means well, but is well a pain to deal with.

Oh don't worry haha, I'm not offended

PSinger
2012-05-09, 05:36 PM
Howdy, neighbor! I say "neighbor" because I'm next door in New Mexico. :smallsmile:

In another vein ... how does Tilmek have Combat Expertise with only a 9 INT?

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-09, 06:41 PM
Well hello! And I got it from the Passive way variant in UA I didn't take all the feats for it which is why I don't have the bonus to Bluff and I won't get the bonus at 6th level

lostsole31
2012-05-09, 06:45 PM
Got it, and since most of us know each other well enough ... beyond just a character sheet ... Coanacoch is a student of Cobra Strike, and PSinger's character is that of the Undying Way.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-09, 07:24 PM
Gotcha haha :smallsmile: in case you can't tell from my sheet, Tilmek is an AoO build that doesn't focus on tripping or grappling. I plan on him being a tumbling fool haha

Man on Fire
2012-05-09, 08:57 PM
if we know each other, Vir-Sashi may remember some even involving Tilmek, how about I mention something and let you fill the story to show what kind of guy he is?

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-09, 09:18 PM
Ok thank you, that seems like a great way to try and get him up to the same level of charicterization as you. I'm all for it :smallbiggrin:

inexorabletruth
2012-05-10, 09:47 AM
I detect a flashback sequence for Li coming up sometime in the future. :smallamused:

I'm glad that you guys are putting effort into your character development. It gives me great plot-point ammo to personalize the story, and it's really fun to read. Perhaps, sometime in the near future, we'll allow an anime-warrior-hero-dark-past-memories session where everyone can have flashbacks of flashbacks of flashbacks that reveal an experience each of you had as an impressionable youth that made you the men (and woman) you are today.

And BTW, PSinger... thank you for channeling Romeo & Juliet as your way of embracing the forced line-up switch. "But soft" is the last thing I ever expected Necahual to say. Laughter ensued. :smallwink:

PSinger
2012-05-10, 10:22 AM
:smallbiggrin:

I admit, I was just being silly, but sometimes you need that.

Instead of flashbacks of flashbacks, how about we just have cutaways of truly obscene and practically non sequitur cutaways like in "Family Guy"?

inexorabletruth
2012-05-10, 10:57 AM
It was a campy plot revision; it deserved campy dialog. I give it two thumbs up. :smallwink:

inexorabletruth
2012-05-11, 03:57 AM
Sending your spot an listen results via PM. Another DM in a campaign I'm in did it that way, and it's freaking awesome.

lostsole31
2012-05-12, 05:35 PM
Well, might as well get ready. Coanacoch's Initiative [roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-05-12, 07:24 PM
I'm going to say that you completely caught these goblins off guard. Vir-Sashi and Han Chun Li, if you charge in now, you can use Necahual's diversion to catch the Goblins in a surprise round. Necahual, sorry, you don't get a surprise round, but your sacrifice has made it to where all eyes are now on you and the goblins can easily be blindsided by a swift strike from two of your compatriots.

I'll build a battle grid after I get off work, but here's the basics:

Rectangle room, simple design (30x20) two floors. Debris everywhere, so all terrain is considered difficult terrain for purposes of movement. I will allow tumble checks to hop, skip and twist your way through difficult terrain at full speed due to your Monk training. DC 12. High ground/low ground advantages apply if you're on the cashier's desk, stairs, etc. Beware, the stairs look damaged and not all steps are stable anymore.

After Vir-Sashi and Han Chun Li have a go, everyone who hasn't already, please roll initiative.

@ Li: You are welcome to finish what you're doing out of initiative at the bottom of the round, since the goblins haven't the faintest idea you are there.

@ Necahual: They aren't a size category bigger, but it is clear that one of these two is the alpha, because they are a bit taller and stronger, and bossier. Assuming you walked right up to them, the one on your left has nicer gear: Morningstar Mace and a Chain Shirt, rings and multiple silvery-metal piercings on his nose, eyebrows and ears. The other one is sporting a short spear and is wearing gauntlets, he is wearing studded leather armor and has fewer pierced body parts, but it still clearly bigger than the third one, who appears a bit emaciated, is several inches short and is wielding a crudely constructed javelin. A sling is hanging from his belt, and his back is criss-crossed with many scars, presumably from a whip. He is clothed in mainly rags.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-12, 08:25 PM
Oops I checked the IC as soon as I got off work, and thought we all got to go

Initiative [roll0]
Tumble [roll1]

Well at least I made the tumble check haha I guess the initiative makes up for the good rolls IC >.< if its ok ill edit my post to be more flavorful and theatric

PSinger
2012-05-13, 01:35 AM
I am more than fine with Necahual not getting an attack since the tactic did exactly as desired ... and gave our group a hell of boost.

Necahual's Initiative: [roll0]

zever
2012-05-13, 02:24 AM
Tumble check:
[roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-05-13, 06:15 AM
Initiative Results after Surprise Round:

Vir-Sashi
Goblin
Goblin
Coanacoch
Goblin
Han Chun Li
Nehual
Tilmek
Goblin
Li (not in Init. Keeping your actions stealthy will earn you a surprise round)

Battle Grid:

@Li: You are directly below a 2nd story window.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-13, 06:18 AM
Everyone please post in initiative order. It makes it quicker for me to sort everything out. Plus, it will allow me to tell you whether or not the goblin you are trying to smack around is still breathing.

The surprise round is over. Vir-Sashi... go get 'em. :smallwink:

Man on Fire
2012-05-13, 10:08 AM
Sorry guys, I opened IC and OOC in two windows and then posted in wrong one. I keep the rolls here.

Attack as before, rage + flurry= +6/+1/-1
[roll0] damage [roll1]
[roll2] damage [roll3]
[roll4] damage [roll5]

lostsole31
2012-05-13, 03:55 PM
Neo, what happened with Coanacoch's trip attempt?

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-13, 04:17 PM
@ Inex, which icon is Tilmek? And will I have to reroll my stuff? Id rather not (obviouslly haha) but I understand if I do, and ill go delete it my post if you want.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-13, 07:21 PM
@ Vixsor Lumin: No, I'm not going to make you re-roll. I'm just asking for future reference. You're using Ulyono's icon for now, due to the fact that I have no idea what your character looks like. He's the one standing on the right side of the door in the blue pants and tan tunic. Find a square shaped image you'd like to use to represent your character, and I'll incorporate him.

@ Lostsole31: My apologies, Morpheus. I somehow completely missed the fact that your character had an opportunity to join in the surprise round goodness, considering you were pretty much ready to go before Necahual was. Yes you get in on the trip, I'll post the description in IC soon.

lostsole31
2012-05-14, 06:28 AM
Inex ... ow, Coanacoch did get critted. Please roll the second die of damage.

Azoth
2012-05-14, 07:43 AM
Rolling checks
[roll0] spot
[roll1] sense motive

lostsole31
2012-05-14, 01:50 PM
Still waiting to know final/ full damage from that crit-javelin strike on Coanacoch.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-14, 02:03 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:
[roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-05-15, 12:44 AM
Updated Init and Battle Grid:

INIT:

Vir-Sashi
Goblin
Goblin
Coanacoch
Goblin
Han Chun Li
Nehual
Tilmek
Goblin

Battle Grid:

Coanacoch, you're up.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-15, 01:22 AM
Wow. I can't charge because there's people in the way now :smallannoyed: looks like I'm gonna have to re roll anyway with my new actions. Oh well, guess that's what I get for assuming group initiative :smalltongue:

inexorabletruth
2012-05-15, 11:56 AM
@ Vixsor Lumin: You're new to this group, Vix. So, if you'd like, you may keep your rolls and simply change your approach. Remember though, movement is a part of your combat strategy in this battle. The ground is slick from blood and littered with debris, so only a successful Tumble check will get you a 30' move. Anything else, and you're stuck at 15' per move action. But the environment isn't just a hindrance. Good and bad, all the terrain is available to you to use. When in doubt, Vix, start checking your skill sets. Having a good understanding of those can get you through a ton of tight spots in lower level encounters.

@lostsole31: Are we assuming that your last post was your turn? :smallconfused: Because you can totally have another move/attack. Your last attack was an AoO and doesn't count as part of your turn.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-15, 12:19 PM
Are you sure? Cus that seems a little unfair, but if everyone else is ok with it to ill keep my rolls. :smallsmile: my skill set is pretty Limited due to an Int penalty haha but ill see what I can do with what I have :smallwink: thanks

inexorabletruth
2012-05-15, 05:31 PM
I'm giving you the waiver this once, because it's your first encounter, and it's a bit trickier than the previous two practice rounds the rest of the group had. I know that some DMs play it loosey goosey with the initiatives, but I use gridded combat in tight spaces like this to get players to make the most out of teamwork and strategy... like a game of chess, but with way more movement options.

As for your skills, it looks to me like you're darn good at Balancing, Listening and Tumbling. It would be unethical for me to tell you how to play but here are some uses for these skills:

Balance: to stand on unstable surfaces that will grant you a higher ground bonus. (+1 to melee attack)
Listening: to listen for any enemies sneaking around
Tumble: to squeeze past an enemy without provoking AoO, to skip through an enemy's square without provoking an AoO, or in this case, to tumble through the rubble at 30' per move action. (though I may make that a balance check in future encounters, since this teeters on the edge of a house-rule)

Either way... you are well equipped for this encounter, Vix. :smallsmile:

inexorabletruth
2012-05-16, 11:45 PM
Updated Init and Battle Grid:

INIT:

Vir-Sashi
Goblin
Goblin
Coanacoch
Goblin
Han Chun Li
Nehual
Tilmek
Goblin

Necahual, kill.
Li, please roll Initiative.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-17, 12:30 AM
*twiddles thumbs and whistles* :smalltongue:

inexorabletruth
2012-05-17, 01:48 PM
PSinger... you critted. :smallcool:

Confirm Crit: [roll0]
Bonus Damage: [roll1]

Sorry... no bonus damage.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-17, 02:04 PM
Tilmek is up. Go get 'em Vix. Like I said, you may keep your rolls, but reassign your move.

PSinger. Sorry, I can't grant a smashed wrist unless you want to call the shot a disarm attempt, which provokes an AoO. If you'd like to change your attack to a disarm, I'll allow you to keep the roll (a nat 20), which means you knock his mace to the ground, and I'll say shatters his wrist. But if he scores a strike against you in the AoO, you lose the disarm and the attack. Up to you, my friend.

PSinger
2012-05-17, 11:01 PM
Inex, it had absolutely nothing to do with bonuses, negatives, disarms, or anything like that. It's just fluff, that's all. Just because I hit for good damage doesn't mean the strike should go to head/ chest/ belly groin. It was just a way of defining an interesting kick that can be just as devasting (reflected in damage, not other effects) as a strike to a normal "hot spot" ... which makes us more interesting than brawlers.

Rus and I have talked about how each of our characters would fight. He was kind of ... well, not happy ... when you redefined Co's strike as the head instead of original area simply because it likely made more sense to you and it dropped the goblin. He thought it would be cooler to drop someone from non-standard places because of shock and arterial devastation to limbs rather than head-chest all the time, especially for the "final strike."

That got us into a discussion of how each of us look when we fight, and what we would target. My character is like Tony Jaa, up close, brutal, and in your face ... but with good sweeping maneuvers. Classic target areas, of course, are primary, but smashing limbs is fun, too. It's still just damage, not "combat effects" unless you deem it otherwise for the CF (Coolness Factor). Co's Snake Style is even more likely to choose unusual nerve, joint, and muscle/ organ groups, as the style is based on fingerpoint accuracy rather than my PC's Hulk-smash style.

The end result, of course, is still up to you. But we wanted to show - without any attempted usurping of proper maneuvers (trips, disarms, etc.) - how hp damage can be much more interesting than where you'd expect it. When we take hp damage, we probably do fracture bones, ribs, jaws, etc ... but the "high fantasy" nature of the game keeps it out of the gritty and uses the abstraction of hit points. These aren't "called shots" we're making for special combat benefits, these are just targets from which we inflict the same damage as we would any other part of the body, and the rationales for having done so.

EDIT: Short form ... no, just damage as originally intended. The dropping mace concept was if he had actually dropped the warrior himself, though I can see how that might have been confusing. That's why I spoiler-ize the crunch after the fluff.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-18, 01:53 AM
Totally agree, PSinger. I love it when players define their attacks. By all means be as descriptive as you'd like; it's helping me visualize the attacks better, and I love what I see in my head.

I didn't mean to redefine Coanacoch's attack. It honestly wasn't meant that way. I should've described it better. But please let me explain:

In hand-to-hand combat, we don't always hit what we want. Sometimes the result comes out better, sometimes worse. When I was practicing Wing Chun with a friend once, I meant to graze him in the ear... a commonly acceptable way to earn a point in sparring. You could say I critted though; I poked him right in the eye with my middle and third fingers. It's not often you see an adolescent boy ball like a baby. That was one of those times. I scratched his cornea, and he had to wear an eye patch while it recovered. I felt horrible about it and tried to give him a chance to hit me back. He never did, even though I totally deserved it. :smallfrown: But that's not the point.

The point is, you may want to aim for a wrist, forearm, or side of the ear, but sometimes you end up crushing a windpipe, or scratching a cornea, because your opponent is resisting the attack by moving, twitching, flailing, or even hopping around. In the chaos of battle all sorts of crazy things are happening, so results may vary by the roll of the dice.

I really am sorry if my description of the result came across as rewriting history, or railroading your characters' actions. I'll try to work around yours and Lostsole's descriptions more specifically in the future, or at least explain in greater detail why something happened the way it happened.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-18, 02:07 AM
[roll0]

Blah, blah... making sure there's enough characters in this post so it doesn't count as spam.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-19, 04:59 PM
The bluff check was for the "Nowhere, nowhere" part.

Azoth
2012-05-19, 07:40 PM
Hey does this town have a well? If so, how far away is it? I think that I am about to show the party how old school interrogations go, and will probably trigger an alignment ping in the process. So...hey, you guys get to see what Li will do if angry and wanting answers. I will advise if any of ICly find me while doing this, not to interfere...Li may go a bit punch happy.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-20, 05:24 AM
It does indeed have a well near the town center. :smallsmile: My curiosity is piqued.

Azoth
2012-05-20, 08:05 AM
Let's just say that when Li starts he won't be able to trust anything the goblin says...but by the end he will be able to believe every murmor. They will be like brothers having bonded deeply by the intimacy of what pains Li has in store for this creature.

Man on Fire
2012-05-20, 08:17 AM
I'm already feeling bad for the goblin.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-20, 12:41 PM
Me too, Man on Fire. But I can't look away... by all means, Azoth, carry on.

Man on Fire
2012-05-20, 01:01 PM
After reciving the PM - well played, DM, well played.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-20, 01:21 PM
Thank you, Man on Fire! :smallbiggrin:

Azoth
2012-05-20, 03:02 PM
Uhm...you guys may get a bit squimish during what I am going to do.

Also DM please allow a ruling that for the course of what I am going to do, most of them will yield only 1 point either lethal or nonlethal depending. They will be incredibly painful, but the average person can survive them for days without much healing...well, until I get around to some of the later things.

Azoth
2012-05-20, 03:35 PM
Also, just be glad that BoVD was not on the table. I made a dedicated party face/knowledge bank for a RL campain with that book. The skill Torture was put to great use, and made my DM vomit on the table when I described what I was doing to our captives during one session.

Heh...the downside of letting the me (a big medieval/fuedal era fan/knowledge buff) have access to all those toys with clear cut rules for their use. Suffice to say after that...I wasn't allowed to use that book anymore. He also made me retire the character, but that was after I got a hold of the Angel Wing Razor.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-20, 07:08 PM
I'm not squeemish in the slightest, I made a similar character before, but there are forum rules against some stuff like that. Id hate to see you get in trouble over a game.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-20, 07:17 PM
Azoth, I have a very strong stomach, and a very curious nature. I'm dying to see where you are going with this. But just as a warning.

There's nothing truly unlawful about torture to gain information. But you're tap-dancing on the edge Neutral or Evil territory if you have to give a warning before posting your next deed. I've never had to bomb someone with an alignment switch from a solitary act or moral disparity, but then no one I've played with has ever punted the newborn babies of celestials into a pit full of scorpions while drinking the blood of virgin's, either. So, I'm willing to bet there's a first time for everything.

We'll see... :smallamused: Bring what you've got, Azoth. But if you'd like to clear it with me first to protect your sterling LG alignment, you're welcome to shoot me a PM.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-20, 07:19 PM
Zever: Are you going to search or are you going after Grubnub? I need to know before I PM you a result of your check.

zever
2012-05-21, 12:24 AM
With the look Li is giving me, I guess it is better to go after the goblin that is running away.

Azoth
2012-05-21, 01:54 AM
Heh...I guess Li doesn't need to roll intimidate checks. He can just scowl at people.

Also, PMed our DM what Li is going to do his captive. Got the green light for it, so if/when the times comes...and if any of you want to know what exactly Li did I will PM it to you. I will not be posting those actions for fear of getting in trouble for content. Though, I can honestly say...none of you would look at Li the same ICly if your characters know what he is doing.

zever
2012-05-21, 02:24 AM
You made me quite curious about it actually, and I'm wondering if I will be hearing some sound effects of it while questioning Grubnuk...

Man on Fire
2012-05-21, 05:30 PM
Just to be sure, did Vir-Sashi killed any of the goblins? I sorta lost track in how many of them were there and which ones he fought (I always lose track of those things, sorry).

inexorabletruth
2012-05-21, 05:48 PM
Vir-Sashi didn't technically kill any of them, but you beat the tar out of the first goblin you hit.

You stabilized him at -9 hp. I was just about to roll his last saving throw if you failed the heal check. They are all stabilized now. A couple days of rest and they'll all be back on their feet.

The brute with the javelin is awake, but not strong enough to stand. He looks bewildered and stunned, and may not know where he is yet. The other big goblin is also awake and groaning and looks only a little worse than the brute. His eyes are closed in pain.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-21, 05:50 PM
The IC is about to get a bit quiet. Han Chun Li and Azoth are not necessarily within ear-shot of each other or the rest of the group. So I'm going to send their info via PM.

Coanacoch and Necahual have been quiet lately... I'll shoot them a PM and see what's up.

Azoth
2012-05-21, 09:24 PM
I am personally surprised, by people saving the goblins. In D&D they are like evil field mice. Kill them and move on...gotta keep the surpluss population down.

Though it is a bit refreshing to see a group that isn't just about killing everything that gets in their path for the xp and loot.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-21, 09:34 PM
hahaha this is the only character im currentlly playing that would do that :smalltongue: Tilmek has never even been in a serious fight. the only reason he was able to use lethal force was he was angry about what happened outside. he wouldve helped heal them but he was practically in shock.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-21, 11:52 PM
I'm actually surprised by all this as well. I love where you guys are going with this.

Man on Fire: Noted. All your attacks are non-lethal unless you call it before-hand.

Azoth
2012-05-22, 01:25 AM
I guess Li is the only "morally flexible" member of the group. Though it will eventually be explained ICly, why he is willing to do these horrible kinds of things and is so dead serious. I assure you his "Stick up the Butt" is not a class feature.

Man on Fire
2012-05-22, 07:21 AM
Vir-Sashi looks at things a little bit differently, considering that he is a monster himself and he wants to be "friend of justice". through I must admit, I just jumped at the occasion of having fun roleplay. Had he failed saving the goblins, he would go full Fist of the North Star (http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/135/918/vsktbm.jpg?1308294937).

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-22, 04:32 PM
I'm going to attack on my next turn if I can. Do I get a surprise round, or should I roll initative?

Man on Fire
2012-05-22, 04:33 PM
And here I hoped you will be the mediator between Li and Vir-Sashi.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-22, 04:41 PM
i would, but Tilmek wouldn't. He is going to us non lethal, but he doesnt think that trying to convince Li will work. He told Li that they were innocent but Li doesn't seem to care, so Tilmek isn't going to "waste time explaining" when Li is causing someone pain.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-22, 05:01 PM
Oh boy. :smalleek:

Ok... here's my policy on PvP. Generally, I'm not a fan of it unless it's totally 100% IC relevant and great RP. This case, I feel, qualifies. If you guys are going to duke it out, then just remember the golden rule: What happens in IC stays in IC. If one, or all of you, gets killed right then and there, you're welcome to roll up new monks, but they start off at the monastery with no idea of what's going on down by Cliffside.

I'll set up a battle grid and have it posted by tonight.

Man on Fire
2012-05-22, 05:09 PM
I think we may just assume we're all going for nonlethal damage, I'm sure will - I love goblins but even I won't kill other PCs for them. Plus it would be out of character for Vir-Sashi anyway now. He just wants to negotiate. With his fists.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-22, 06:05 PM
I agree IC is IC. I'm going for non-lethal, and I would've liked to avoid PvP but I don't see this going another way without breaking character

Azoth
2012-05-22, 06:07 PM
Li is kind of the same way. He won't use lethal force on you guys. This is all about the TKO...so ring the bell.

Azoth
2012-05-22, 06:11 PM
Also Vix. Li knows you are there, and has manifested a power. I don't believe we can consider a surprise round. It is going to be initiative time.

Man on Fire
2012-05-22, 06:51 PM
Ladies and gentlemen. In the left corner, master of mental powers, Liiiiiiiiii!
And in the right corner, his opponents, Timleeeek aaaand Vir-Saaaashi!

Shao Khan: Round One. Fight.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-22, 08:02 PM
I just thought that since Vir-Sashi started counting it might be unexpected. I figured it would probably wind up initiative, but it was worth a shot :smalltongue:

So its The Master of Mental Miracles versus the Reactive Ravager and the Savage Slithering Vir-Sashi!

*ding ding ding*

Azoth
2012-05-22, 08:41 PM
Initiative
[roll0]

Man on Fire
2012-05-22, 08:58 PM
Initiative [roll0]

Wow, by one point, I'm lucky.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-22, 09:07 PM
inititative [roll0]

i always roll horriblly in initiative...... :smallannoyed:

Man on Fire
2012-05-22, 10:38 PM
PSinger, you do realize that by killing poor goblin you will probably unite all three of us to kick your butt? And I'm pretty sure we're standing over this guy now, this will be pretty impressive if you won't hit any of us.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-22, 10:49 PM
PSinger your messing up our male bonding! :smalltongue: were also in initiative so you'd probably need to roll that to join, and (like Man On Fire said) there are two people rolling around on top of the goblin with another about to jump in.

PSinger
2012-05-23, 01:25 AM
PSinger, you do realize that by killing poor goblin you will probably unite all three of us to kick your butt? And I'm pretty sure we're standing over this guy now, this will be pretty impressive if you won't hit any of us.
Considering a grapple isn't people standing in place but rolling around .... and only ranged damage suffers a "random hit chance" .... not bothered.

I'll deal with the butt-kicking when it comes, or the reckoning when asked ... but if it gets the three of you to settle, so be it.

PSinger your messing up our male bonding! :smalltongue: were also in initiative so you'd probably need to roll that to join, and (like Man On Fire said) there are two people rolling around on top of the goblin with another about to jump in.
I figured that the combatants are so focused on each other, that it really was its own effect, but .... Initiative [roll0]

But, until Necahual goes, there's nothing to react to. Necahual "goes" on her "turn" in initiative. You're both already focused on each other. Necahual's action on her turn really will go wildly askew of anything you would've expected.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-23, 02:38 AM
Ok, kiddoes... got the map and... WHOA! What the **** (self censored) did I miss?!

This just got interesting...

Battle Grid, check.

Initiative, check:

Vir-Sashi (23)
Li (22)
Tilmek (6)
PSinger (4)
Coanacoch (staying out of initiative)

Popcorn, check. Beer, check. GO!

BTW, it's a big map this time, I wanted to give you guys room to run and play. Since it looks like you all plan on being jumbled up into one ball of flesh and hair, I might cut down the map by round two, if it lasts that long.

Also, Necahual, you're in the room with two goblins, and Li is defending a third. Are you trying to kill the one Li is guarding or one of the two in the room?

And Han, the one Li is guarding doesn't match the description of Grimble.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-23, 01:48 PM
Alright... a few quick notes:

We're using full grapple rules when performing a grapple check. There are four steps to a grapple check, though most of you can ignore the first one. A lot of times, when you initiate a grapple, I fill in the gap with some secret rolls of my own to keep the game going. But in PvP, I can't get that involved, since there's no need to wait for my reaction to continue posting. So, let's go over them real quick for those who have rolled grapple checks:

1. Attack of Opportunity. Those of you with Improved Grapple don't provoke one, but those of you who don't, prepare for a free swat. A successful AoO stops the grapple, so it's an important step.

2. Grab. You have to successfully hit the opponent in order to grapple. This is done with a melee touch attack. Some of you have insanely high ACs for no armor and only lvl 1, so melee touch attacks are pretty hard to land. No successful hit, no grapple.

3. Hold. This is the part where you roll your opposed grapple checks. If you're the one being grappled, you may roll an escape artist check if you prefer.

4. Maintain. This is also the part where you roll your opposed grapple checks. You do this each round that you, the one grappling must roll your grapple check to keep a hold of your opponent. If you're the one being grappled, you may roll an escape artist check if you prefer.

Man on Fire
2012-05-23, 01:55 PM
So, first I need to make normal attack [roll0], then grapple, [roll1], then grapple again [roll2]. And if I want to pin Li? Another grapple [roll3]?

inexorabletruth
2012-05-23, 01:58 PM
@ PSinger: No matter which goblin you are hitting, they are all helpless. You may use coup de grace rules if you chose. (Auto-success, auto-crit, auto-kill DC 10+ damage dealt negates). Fluff-wise, it sounds like that's what you're trying to do. I'll need to know which goblin you wanted to hit though. Coup de grace is a full round action, so there are limits on who you can get to this round.

You are standing next to two goblins, the brute and the one with the piercings. Either one of these can receive your one-way ticket this round. But Tuky and the gang are down by the ol' well. You'll need to move to him to do this. I don't think you can get to him in a shorter distance than 65'. Therefore, to get to him this round, you may need to make a full-run action.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-23, 02:10 PM
No... making the opposed grapple check (step 3) is a free action.

You may pin an opponent instead of attacking during the round that you have successfully grappled. Pinning an opponent is automatically successful if you succeed on your grapple check.

Azoth
2012-05-23, 07:14 PM
Victory by technical knockout. Goes to team GOOOOODY TWOOOOOSHOOOOOOES!!

PSinger
2012-05-23, 09:26 PM
Inex, I was going for the one that Li was holding. I figure if I kill that one, than this entire bawd is immaterial. For he to then stomp off to another goblin takes him "out of the moment" and to go to another goblin then pushes from pragmatism that goes well outside of even a good person.

Necahual, being LN, sees the moral dilemma ... but harmony and peace within the group is more important to her, the better to fight external threats. The moralizing is unimportant to her.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-27, 05:11 AM
Game check... two days without activity in the IC. We all here?

zever
2012-05-27, 05:42 AM
I'm still here, waiting to see if Grimble is going to talk :)

Man on Fire
2012-05-27, 06:58 AM
Waiting for PSinger's character to respond. Sorta cannot do much without hearing Necahual's answer to Vir's question.

Azoth
2012-05-27, 01:36 PM
Still here, just out cold ICly for the next while

Vixsor Lumin
2012-05-27, 01:44 PM
Still her, waiting for the conversation to advance

inexorabletruth
2012-05-27, 02:56 PM
I'm still here, waiting to see if Grimble is going to talk :)

Grimble responded. Is it not showing in the thread? I'll post some filler garbage to get it to pop up.

Man on Fire
2012-05-27, 03:14 PM
I have suggestion - lets call this part "end of the episode X" and timeskip after Necahual, Timlek, Vir-Sashi and Li talked things out. We may agreed here how they talked things out, but if we're going to do it in character, I'm afraid we will never finish and derail this game completely. If, of course, DM is okay with it.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-27, 03:49 PM
Sounds good to me. PSinger and Lostsole both said they've been pretty busy lately, so we'll hand-wave the conversation, saying that you all reached an agreement, Necahual took her slap on the wrist, and Li has been revived.

You're all back at the merchants shop where Han is interrogating Grimble. Byuckyuck is nodding his head eagerly with whatever Grimble says.