PDA

View Full Version : Question about Charging Smite from PHB2

bbkilla
2012-04-02, 03:21 PM
hi all
i play paladin 9 \ Gray guard 9, and took Charging Smite instead of a mount at lvl 5.
2 Question about it:
a) do i get 18 or 36 bonus from Charging Smite?
b) i have the Unbound Justice so will Charging Smite bonus apply when i use Smite Evil to smite non evil? cuz in Unbound Justice it says that it acts just like normal smite evil

tnx all!

Mari01
2012-04-02, 03:56 PM
hi all
i play paladin 9 \ Gray guard 9, and took Charging Smite instead of a mount at lvl 5.
2 Question about it:
a) do i get 18 or 36 bonus from Charging Smite?
b) i have the Unbound Justice so will Charging Smite bonus apply when i use Smite Evil to smite non evil? cuz in Unbound Justice it says that it acts just like normal smite evil

tnx all!

I would say that RAW it's a bit shaky since Charging Smite works off Paladin levels only. RAI I'd say it's the 36. Even more so since Gray Guard stacks the regular paladin damage.

bbkilla
2012-04-02, 05:35 PM
what is raw and what is rai?

Mari01
2012-04-02, 06:04 PM
what is raw and what is rai?

The letter of the law versus the spirit of the law is an idiomatic antithesis. When one obeys the letter of the law but not the spirit, one is obeying the literal interpretation of the words (the "letter") of the law, but not the intent of those who wrote the law. Conversely, when one obeys the spirit of the law but not the letter, one is doing what the authors of the law intended, though not necessarily adhering to the literal wording.

RAW (Rules as written) is going only by whats actually written down.

RAI (Rules as interpreted) is following the spirit and inferring what the author meant.

I hope that makes it a little clear. I dont quite remember how I had it explained to me.

bbkilla
2012-04-02, 07:16 PM
well, now i get it, tnx.