PDA

View Full Version : Witchblade. (3.5 D&D.)

Metahuman1
2012-04-02, 05:48 PM
Ok, so, I was having a chat with a friend of mine that I'd like to get to try out Dungeons and Dragons 3.5. This friend has played other systems before, including 2nde A long time ago, but tends to favor Sci-fi over fantasy (Though she still likes Fantasy and Steam Punk, it's just Sci-fi is her favorite of the 3.)

Anyway, I figured I show her some stuff form Eberron, in particular the Artificer, cause I figured it would be more up her ally. And it did seem to perk her interest. Then, she threw just as an off the cuff question if there was a way for an Artificer to make a Witchblade.

So, I've got a passing familiarity with the comic book and seen a couple of eps of the anime (Was not impressed with the latter and never had a lot of time/cash for the former. Much to my Chagrin.), but overall it's not something I'm terribly familiar with. So, Playground, after telling her I'd check around on that one and get back with her, I come to you with this question.

Can the Witchblade be stated out in D&D 3.5, and if so how do you go about doing it.

Optimally, I'd like to see this done with out the use of Homebrew, Dragon Mag, or Campaign Setting Specific material. That said, if you have a way to do it with Dragon Mag or Setting Specific, it might not be my first choice but I'll certainly take it.

Help me out playground, cause offering her a stated out Witchblade, I am convinced, will get her to the table and playing, and once she's there, she will come back. Thanks for the assistance!

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-02, 10:17 PM
I'm only familiar with the live action TV show (starring Yancy Butler), but IIRC, the only thing I can think of is having a hidden dagger or something hiding in a gauntlet (can't remember where the hidden weapon is located... source, anyone?)

It'd work better if she wore a buckler on the same arm (thematically) to represent using the Witchblade to block. Maybe nab Deflect Arrows?

Talionis
2012-04-02, 10:46 PM
The witch blade would be interesting to stat. Options include
Legendary Weopon, item familiar, could the witch blade actually be the character and lady a cohort? Psions could mimic abilities with astral construct...

Krazzman
2012-04-03, 01:44 AM
Seems like you want quite a bit of dipping for that one.

Warlock/Soulknife for the energy based stuff (long time since I saw wichtblade)
Psion/Psionic Warrior for other mindstuff.
Artificer (she could build the witchblade i.e. a custom Item/graft...)

Hope this helps at least...

Metahuman1
2012-04-03, 12:34 PM
Ok, Item Familiar sounds like a starting point then.

Honestly, based on what little I know of the continuity, it seems like an Artifact, but that would mean even the Artificer is gonna have to wait to use it to mid to late game, and that's no fun. :smallfrown:

Anyway, so I give her an Item familiar, probably and enchanted gauntlet. Not a bad idea of an Artificer to begin with. What kinds of ability's/powers/tricks/add on's/ext do I need to build into it or have it acquire to make it funtion like the Witchblade form the Comic Book Continuity. (If no one has any thoughts on that I'd settle for the Anime, though the Comic Books are a first choice. )

Thanks for any and all help!

McClintock
2012-04-03, 12:39 PM
What about a legacy Item? Doesn't it grow stronger the longer a person has it?

Re fluff the rituals as dreams the PC has that explain the opening of new capabilities.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-03, 12:53 PM
What about a legacy Item? Doesn't it grow stronger the longer a person has it?

Re fluff the rituals as dreams the PC has that explain the opening of new capabilities.

This.

And is TV canon alright? Because there might be some suggestions from there that I can offer (being... acquainted with the comics and never seen the anime).

Metahuman1
2012-04-03, 01:05 PM
This.

And is TV canon alright? Because there might be some suggestions from there that I can offer (being... acquainted with the comics and never seen the anime).

Ok, what kinds of powers does this thing have? I'd need to know that before I could work out re fluffing the rituals and laying out in advance what she get's at what level. Not adverse to doing this by any means, I just need to know what powers will keep the flavor and vibe going.

And While Comics are a first choice, I'll hear anything that's counted under the franchise out at least once. It really is one of those things were I wish I knew it better now if for no other reason then to help her on this so as to reel her in, so to speak.

Larkas
2012-04-03, 01:07 PM
Actually, the Witchblade is the offspring between the Darkness and the Angelus. It is a living, or semi-living, thing. Using more easily recognizable comic-related stuff, it is more like Venom's symbiont than Iron Man's armor, but it's unlike either of them. I think that a magic item with a high enough ego score will do the trick, and a Weapon of Legacy is a nice enough way to go, since it isn't absurdly powerful from the start. If she is the one creating the Witchblade, you'll want to look at the part about "Founding a Legacy". You will need to adapt things a little, though, since a Weapon of Legacy only start acquiring abilities unlike other magic items' from the 5th character level onwards.

You might want to take a look here for info on its powers: http://witchblade.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witchblade

A little more in-comic information: the Darkness is a male entity of chaos and, duh, darkness, regularly depicted as evil, while the Angelus is a female entity of order and light, often depicted as good. The Witchblade was brought forth as a way to bring balance to the world, a male entity that needs a female host. I remember reading somewhere that it rips its hosts clothes when creating the armor because of that :smallamused: Anyways, it is pretty much neutral.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-03, 05:19 PM
Ok, what kinds of powers does this thing have? I'd need to know that before I could work out re fluffing the rituals and laying out in advance what she get's at what level. Not adverse to doing this by any means, I just need to know what powers will keep the flavor and vibe going.

And While Comics are a first choice, I'll hear anything that's counted under the franchise out at least once. It really is one of those things were I wish I knew it better now if for no other reason then to help her on this so as to reel her in, so to speak.

Let's see... Lets her see dead people (her dead partner), can provide insight into a situation, can activate 'bullet time', bullet deflection, sword blade... think that's all I can think of off the top of my head.