PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cohort question

Laniius
2012-04-02, 07:15 PM
When something in the monster manuals and whatever says "LA X (Cohort)" does this mean they can take class levels? I was thinking of having a beguiler (from shining south) or a petal (from monster manual 3) as a cleric cohort. I want a cohort that can survive, but is as non-threatening and as useless in combat as possible. I am using them strictly for buffing and healing the party, as we are short a cleric in a very tough campaign. I am not the DM, and even though the DM has said all books available I want to make sure I am going by the RAW at least.

Starbuck_II
2012-04-02, 07:25 PM
When something in the monster manuals and whatever says "LA X (Cohort)" does this mean they can take class levels? I was thinking of having a beguiler (from shining south) or a petal (from monster manual 3) as a cleric cohort. I want a cohort that can survive, but is as non-threatening and as useless in combat as possible. I am using them strictly for buffing and healing the party, as we are short a cleric in a very tough campaign. I am not the DM, and even though the DM has said all books available I want to make sure I am going by the RAW at least.

It means they have LA if taken as Cohorts (PC can't be them).
So if it said LA 2 (Cohort), then it has 2 LA + whatever HD it has (if it only has 1 HD it can trade it for a class according to Monster Manual). Yes, Beguiler or Petals can have class levels.

Laniius
2012-04-02, 07:33 PM
Thank you!

Now that I have people's attention, what are your favorite silly cohort races?

Ballista
2012-04-02, 07:45 PM
Not sure if it can actually be a cohort, but the idea of having a Broodling Kython from BoVD as a buddy seems to stick out. Imagine raising one of those guys into a Slaughterking... but once again, probably not even possible.

Namfuak
2012-04-02, 07:47 PM
Thank you!

Mentioned it in another thread, but I may as well repost it here.

Bard Pegasus who uses "Perform: Whinny" to inspire courage, and maxes out his ranks in appraise so that whenever your party is going to buy something, he walks in and inspects it, and either communicates his appraisal of the item nonverbally (IE, stamping the ground or shaking its head, since they understand but cannot speak common), or communicates its appraisal to you with telepathic bond. The important thing is that the character has to turn to the shopkeeper and say, in a serious tone, "My mount approves/disapproves of your price."

Not sure if it can actually be a cohort, but the idea of having a Broodling Kython from BoVD as a buddy seems to stick out. Imagine raising one of those guys into a Slaughterking... but once again, probably not even possible.

They don't have a level adjustment, but if you had a lenient DM it would not be unreasonable to give it a level adjustment of +4-5.

Lateral
2012-04-02, 08:45 PM
Thank you!

Beguilers. They're basically tiny magical rats with an LA of +1 (cohort only) and true seeing as a racial trait.

By the way, I see this race recommended for PCs far too often. It says (cohort only) right next to the LA listing, guys.

Mithril Leaf
2012-04-02, 08:49 PM
Actually they are only LA +0. Plus some DMs let you play cohort races if you ask nicely. :smallwink: Pretty crazy for LA +0 if you ask me though.

gorfnab
2012-04-02, 10:53 PM
Actually they are only LA +0. Plus some DMs let you play cohort races if you ask nicely. :smallwink: Pretty crazy for LA +0 if you ask me though.
I'm currently playing a Beguiler Beguiler in a campaign. Next to useless in melee combat but great as an extremely sneaky spellcaster. Also great for RP purposes since it's easily mistaken for a familiar/animal companion and is a magic beast.