PDA

View Full Version : Coolest Perform skills?

danzibr
2012-04-02, 08:27 PM
In the interest of making a Bard, I was reading up on Perform (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/perform.htm) and learned something. I didn't realize there were only 9 types of Perform you could choose from. I was really looking forward to Perform (kabuki), but, eh, that's not happening. I mean, I'm sure kabuki falls into one of those categories, but...

So out of the various Perform skills, which do you think are coolest? Or most useful for a party-buffing Bard?

RaggedAngel
2012-04-02, 08:32 PM
Sing and Dance are the most common/best because you have your hands free for weapons or items, and you can cast with minimal investment. Dancing is a bit more hax when it comes to optimization, but singing is more flavorful and traditional. Instruments are usually not worth it.

QuidEst
2012-04-02, 08:36 PM
Perform(Oratory) is the coolest in my opinion. From rousing speeches to (much more fun) creepy recitations of selections from T. S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men", it provides very nice options. It's also handy as it can be done in a wider variety of situations than, say, whipping out a string instrument. I tend to favor Bards who are more theatrical than musical, though.

Lord Tyger
2012-04-02, 08:36 PM
I'm a fan of Oratory myself. You don't need any instruments or a great dela of space, you just need to be able to project. Especially if you take Oratory to include Badass Boasts.

"I am hunger. I am thirst. Where I bite, I hold till I die, and even after death they must cut out my mouthful from my enemy's body and bury it with me. I can fast a hundred years and not die. I can lie a hundred nights on the ice and not freeze. I can drink a river of blood and not burst. Show me your enemies."

Elric VIII
2012-04-02, 08:38 PM
Well, Kabuki is dramatic theater, so Act should work there.

It depends on how you want to participate in combat.

For a buffer/magic-user, any instrument works fine. Instruments are found in Complete Adventurer and they add various bonuses, such as +1 IC, effective Bard levels, etc. Melodic Casting (CM) lets you cast even while performing with two-handed instruments.

For a melee/caster Bard, Kabuki (or any form of dancing/singing/speaking) frees up your hands for attacking and/or casting.

For a primarily melee Bard (that doesn't focus on casting) a one-handed instrument (such as a masterwork horn, for +1 IC) along with Snowflake Wardance (Frost) will get you by.

Siosilvar
2012-04-02, 08:41 PM
Complete Warrior introduced Perform (Weapon Drill). I can't recall off the top of my head if you can use it for Bardic Music, but there's something that lets you replace Concentration checks with Perform checks. Combine with Diamond Mind maneuvers and you can literally cut spells to avoid their effects.

"The bad guy casts Charm Person on you."
"I cut it."

Draz74
2012-04-02, 08:43 PM
Complete Warrior introduced Perform (Weapon Drill). I can't recall off the top of my head if you can use it for Bardic Music, but there's something that lets you replace Concentration checks with Perform checks. Combine with Diamond Mind maneuvers and you can literally cut spells to avoid their effects.

"The bad guy casts Charm Person on you."
"I cut it."

Sadly, the thing you are thinking of -- the Melodic Casting feat -- only lets you replace certain Concentration checks with Perform checks, and Diamond Mind maneuvers aren't on the list.

GreenZ
2012-04-02, 08:46 PM
While I personally enjoy Perform: Comedy so you have an excuse to cut one-liners and make jokes all game, my favorite bard ever was a Cello using blaster bard.

Casting spells like Burning Hands and blasting enemies with Scorching Ray just by playing intense Apocalyptica Cello music just seems too damn awesome when you imagine the mental picture.

Siosilvar
2012-04-02, 08:47 PM
Sadly, the thing you are thinking of -- the Melodic Casting feat -- only lets you replace certain Concentration checks with Perform checks, and Diamond Mind maneuvers aren't on the list.

Something else entirely. I found the original the uh, original-ish.

There's a very absurd build I read on this forum a few weeks ago. I can't remember who told it to me though, but it's amazing.

There's a bard spell, I believe in an FR book (possibly Underdark or DotU), called undersong. It lets you make Perform checks in place of Concentration checks. So, purchase a ring of undersong.

Now, play a warblade. Max your ranks in the Perform (Weapon Drill) skill from Complete Warrior.

Now, grab every save boost counter from Diamond Mind. Instead of making Concentration checks in place of your saving throw, you make Perform (Weapon Drill) checks. Fireball? Cut it in half with your sword. Hit by a poisoned arrow? Carve the poison out with your sword. Wizard trying to dominate you? Your bad-ass swordsmanship says no.

Plus, you get Wall of Blades. Someone trying to attack you? Parry it with your sword.

Suddenly, you are defying physics with your epic blade of pwnage. It is, quite frankly, absurd.

EDIT: Google tells me that undersong is in Champions of Ruin and Spell Compendium both.

Jeff the Green
2012-04-02, 08:58 PM

True, but it definitely falls into "ask your DM" category. Personally, I'd allow it simply for rule of cool.

Mechanically, the strongest is probably wind instruments, since you can get +1 to inspire courage with a certain horn. My favorites, though, are Oratory (as already mentioned), percussion, and sing. Sing works well for a savage bard's war chants, and I like the idea of carrying around one of these (http://photoresearch.beethomas.com/wp-content/main/2011_08/DSC_0067m.jpg) and incorporating your enemies' skulls into your routine.

Morithias
2012-04-02, 09:05 PM
If you're going to end up in Baator or making a deal with a devil at anytime take Peform (act). It's the only perform skill that matters in the infernal courts (Also diplomacy and knowledge (planes)).

Also I believe if you want to play a player, perform (sex) is always an option. :smalltongue:

Mithril Leaf
2012-04-02, 09:05 PM
I'm a fan of taking a few ranks in keyboard so that if you need to defend a city you can buff your whole platoon at once at once with the pipe organ you brought in your portable hole. Of course, doing a bit of optimization fu so that you get massive vocal range is good for preform oratory/sing hits a ton of people. Or your dread necro pal's undead army.:smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2012-04-02, 09:11 PM
Preform: Dance. . .by a Dirgesinger.
Red leather armour and single glove so not optional.

Elric VIII
2012-04-02, 09:11 PM
I'm a fan of taking a few ranks in keyboard so that if you need to defend a city you can buff your whole platoon at once at once with the pipe organ you brought in your portable hole. Of course, doing a bit of optimization fu so that you get massive vocal range is good for preform oratory/sing hits a ton of people. Or your dread necro pal's undead army.:smallbiggrin:

Actually, there's a Alphorn (S&S) that affects all allies within 1d10 miles (and it's a wind instrument).

Plus, you'd need Requiem (LM) to affect undead with IC, since it's mind-affecting.

Hirax
2012-04-02, 09:15 PM
I agree that perform (oratory) is the best, but comboed with one level of mindbender, so that you can be a totally mute bard.

Mithril Leaf
2012-04-02, 09:20 PM
Actually, there's a Alphorn (S&S) that affects all allies within 1d10 miles (and it's a wind instrument).

Plus, you'd need Requiem (LM) to affect undead with IC, since it's mind-affecting.

Alphorn was the one I was thinking of, thanks. And yeah, but having a horde of kobolds with shoddy weapons buffed by a optimized inspire bard makes a pretty badass army. Wights also work :smallwink:

kardar233
2012-04-02, 09:59 PM
Acting is fun. Especially if your Masterwork Tool is a Bag of Moment-Appropriate Props.

*pulls out skull* "Alas, poor Halaster, I knew him well..."

I'm playing a Spelldancer right now, so I'm looking up all sorts of cool dances. Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twqM56f_cVo) one.

I like Perform(One-Liner). Masterwork tool? Sunglasses.
YEAAAHHHH!!!

gorfnab
2012-04-02, 10:54 PM
In an epic campaign I was in the Samurai had maxed out ranks in Perform: Haiku and the Gullydwarf Thrallherd had maxed out ranks in Perform: Rat.

Greyfeld85
2012-04-02, 11:39 PM
I liked Sing/Oratory on my dirgesinger, just so I could find a place to inject this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZXze53fpPI&feature=related) And the extra creepy version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf_TGmAkXOw), for people who are into that sort of thing.

I don't care what anybody says, that is one of the creepiest songs of all time lol.

Fitz10019
2012-04-03, 05:53 AM
If you're having trouble choosing among these suggestions, Versatile Performer (Complete Adventurer) allows your Perform ranks to apply to more than one category of performance (based on your Int bonus).

kabof
2012-04-03, 07:01 AM
Perform [Your mom joke].

Aeryr
2012-04-03, 07:12 AM
Perform (weapondrill) even if cool is not allowed to work with bard music (explicitly). Personally perform (act) or perform (oratory) are my favorites. Unless I am going for something specificic like snowflake war dance.

Garwain
2012-04-03, 07:54 AM
You don't need to choose with the feat Versatile Performer (CAdv p112). You choose a number of perform skills (equal to your INT modifier) and are treated as if you have a number of ranks equal to your highest perform skill.

With the feat Melodic Casting, you can use perform instead of concentration.

Poof, you invest in one perform skill, and you don't have to worry about putting ranks in concentration or other perform skills.

Duke of URL
2012-04-03, 08:10 AM
If you're going to go with Perform (comedy), you either need to be as funny as you think you are, or become the Fozzie Bear of your team. Anything in between is going to fall flat.

You can pretty much shoehorn any performance into one or more of the nine categories listed in the PHB, although it's fair to treat (weapon drill) and (sexual technique [BoEF]) as separate categories; the latter might be a bit difficult to use as a "bard song" equivalent, however.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-03, 08:23 AM

The build uses the Undersong spell instead. It uses Perform in place of all Concentration checks.

Namfuak
2012-04-03, 08:31 AM
You could make an unarmed bard who uses "Perform: Capoeira (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct2ZoehKv4U)."

Wings of Peace
2012-04-03, 08:38 AM
I'm adding my vote to the tally for Perform: Weapon Drill.

Larkas
2012-04-03, 08:45 AM
You could make an unarmed bard who uses "Perform: Capoeira (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct2ZoehKv4U)."

Man, THIS would be AWESOME! A variant Bard, who loses weapon and armor proficiencies, gains the monk's unarmed attack damage progression and performs with Perform (Dance) (adapted for Capoeira) for bardic music would be totally badass! ...On the AC department, though, it would need something like a bonus from CHA to armor to not suck completely :smallbiggrin:

JadePhoenix
2012-04-03, 08:47 AM
Capoeira is Perform: Dance.

Socratov
2012-04-03, 09:22 AM
sadly complete warrior says you can't use perform wepon drill with bardic music. for optimisation go MW horn, else get perform oratory with the Admiral's bicorn massively increasing the range where people can hear you, as well as give you and your party massive bonuses to sills (and yourself to leadership too)

edit: found the reference:

...A bard cannot use perform(weapon drill) checks to perform his ardic music abilities (inspire courage, fascinate, and so on).

deuxhero
2012-04-03, 10:18 AM
Mechanically, dance is the best, being the only one to have a sensical masterwork item (masterwork tap shoes) AND keep your hands free.

If Admiral's Bicorn boosts the range of your abilities if using sing/comedy/oratory and you can get one, use that.

Chronos
2012-04-03, 12:42 PM
Another hidden benefit of Perform: Dance: If someone casts an [Otto's] Irresistible Dance spell on you, you can dance as required while still continuing to contribute meaningfully.

Morph Bark
2012-04-03, 12:48 PM
Man, THIS would be AWESOME! A variant Bard, who loses weapon and armor proficiencies, gains the monk's unarmed attack damage progression and performs with Perform (Dance) (adapted for Capoeira) for bardic music would be totally badass! ...On the AC department, though, it would need something like a bonus from CHA to armor to not suck completely :smallbiggrin:

Battledancer? Cha to AC, unarmed strike progression, fights unarmed, gives bonuses to allies/penalties to enemies (iirc), etc. Dragon Compendium.

Telonius
2012-04-03, 12:49 PM
Mechanically, dance is the best, being the only one to have a sensical masterwork item (masterwork tap shoes) AND keep your hands free.

If Admiral's Bicorn boosts the range of your abilities if using sing/comedy/oratory and you can get one, use that.

Perform (Comedy) has one, too!
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/9/92927/1470576-groucho_glasses_large.jpg

Socratov
2012-04-03, 12:53 PM

it is expensive though... but that's because it gives a +2 to all skills (+allies), +5 on all cha skills (you only) and leadership score, as well as increasing your voice range to 100 ft. though it is not definite that it enhances the range of bardic music, though any DM should give you an answer on that... (I know my DM would at least consider it, and if feeling generous would allow it).

GreenSerpent
2012-04-03, 01:52 PM
For sheer scare-the-enemy get a pair of Bagpipes.

Bonus points if you get +3 Disrupting Dancing Bagpipes (or other suitably enchanted pipes) and use them as a weapon as well.

Larkas
2012-04-03, 01:56 PM
Battledancer? Cha to AC, unarmed strike progression, fights unarmed, gives bonuses to allies/penalties to enemies (iirc), etc. Dragon Compendium.

Oooooh, nice!

Chronos
2012-04-03, 02:32 PM
For sheer scare-the-enemy get a pair of Bagpipes.

Bonus points if you get +3 Disrupting Dancing Bagpipes (or other suitably enchanted pipes) and use them as a weapon as well.Nah, Mousepipes are where it's at. But you need to be Diminutive to use them.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-03, 02:55 PM
Another hidden benefit of Perform: Dance: If someone casts an [Otto's] Irresistible Dance spell on you, you can dance as required while still continuing to contribute meaningfully.

Good houserule you have there. Too bad it's not RAW.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-03, 03:43 PM
I agree that perform (oratory) is the best, but comboed with one level of mindbender, so that you can be a totally mute bard.

1. Get a +149 check
2. Use the diplomacy-replacement option, bringing people to Fanatic
3. Re-enact Code Geass, only as a shotgun-hobo with no friends or family.

ScionoftheVoid
2012-04-03, 04:17 PM
Good houserule you have there. Too bad it's not RAW.

From the SRD:

The subject feels an undeniable urge to dance and begins doing so, complete with foot shuffling and tapping. The spell effect makes it impossible for the subject to do anything other than caper and prance in place.

It says nothing about losing actions, only that you must dance. Technically, there's nothing in there to suggest that it is not RAW. Of course, this doesn't work if dance alone doesn't work for Bardic Music, and there is significant suggestion of that (all of the examples given include at least a component which can be heard -- if dance required a similar vocal accompaniment this would not work, because the vocal component would not be merely capering and prancing in place).