PDA

View Full Version : Random Silly Magic Items

Rinomi
2012-04-02, 08:56 PM
Hello forumers,

I am playing a rather light hearted and chaotic bard. He is really random and fun loving. I was reading through some old Dragon Magazines and found some really cool and silly magic items. I was wondering what other cool items are out there? Any suggestions for fun magic items? I'm not really worried about optimization or anything like that so that really isn't an issue. :)

Thumperganker
2012-04-02, 09:01 PM
In Magic Item Compendium there is an ability you can put on an instrument that allows it to continue playing for (i the 10) rounds after you stop, you could get a bunch and start and orchestra

Immovable rods are fun and can be useful as well

Amulet of the Vermin, cheap item that can have you summon a huge scorpion, or some other critter depending on the type

But better define "fun" cause to me traps can be wonderful and delicious

theonesin
2012-04-02, 09:03 PM
How about a Hat of Disguise? Now you can be a different bard every time!

Mithril Leaf
2012-04-02, 09:08 PM
I like the Lyre of Building, being able to make a house in a few hours is handy.

Rinomi
2012-04-02, 09:09 PM
But better define "fun" cause to me traps can be wonderful and delicious

I dunno, just random, like rod of wonder I guess, but not quite so severe. The instruments are a fun sounding one though. But he already has a cursed bag of holding that has a 10% chance of turning anything he pulls out of it into a flamingo. Bags of Tricks would be fun too, but I just mean like completely ridiculous items.

Mithril Leaf
2012-04-02, 09:29 PM
The Admiral's Tricorne Hat from Stormwrack (IIRC) lets you shout 100 feet, gives non-enchantment charisma bonus and you get to look classy. All good bard qualities. Pretty expensive though.

This relies on another fun fact, but the feather token (tree) lets you summon a big tree as an immediate action. Because trees are living without being creatures they are immune to disintegrate. Always handy.

Lateral
2012-04-02, 09:38 PM
Collar of Perpetual Attendance. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)

QuidEst
2012-04-03, 06:37 AM
Hee… Sovereign Glue. This stuff is straight out of cartoons.

Gwendol
2012-04-03, 06:57 AM
My bard carries a tree feather token, because you never know when growing a large oak will come in handy! Hat of disguise he also has, as well as a gray bag of tricks (the one that pulls out small mammals).

Looking to get an everfull mug somewhere down the line.

Duke of URL
2012-04-03, 07:02 AM
There's this old thread on useless but fun magic items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179666) that might provide some ideas.

Marlowe
2012-04-03, 07:27 AM
I had to improve a short campaign once where the PCs had started with an interesting set of not-very-useful items.

The DM had wanted to run a "high-powered" game (well, more high-powered than his usual schtick of starting us with 15 gold each, barely giving us any items or treasure, and throwing Bone Devils or Ogres at us every time we set up camp) and let us start with 5000 gp each. Trouble is, we all had to be Rebel Drow. On the run through the Underdark from the Lolthite loyalists. We very quickly realized that 5000gp each doesn't buy a lot of power considering ECL and "rebelled" by purchasing stuff like a low-grade bag of tricks, matching rings of featherfall, and all the Quaal tokens.

Then the DM didn't turn up. So I scribbled a quick map and volunteered to DM. First time DMing.

They managed to find a use for every single one of those useless items. However the prize was one moment when they emerged from a trap-door and found themselves attacked by two "opponents" (I never stated them out, but probably they would have been Rogues with maxed-out UMD and a nasty wand collection) using Flight, Greater Invisibility, and 7th level Magic missiles.

They figured out quite quickly they couldn't beat this, and ran like hell into a narrow side passage, eating up the MM damage as much as they could. They could hear the wind of one of the attackers flying towards them. So they flung down their last Quaal token (feather tree) down in the mouth of the passage just as the unseen menace came hurtling at them.

THUNK. Invisible airborne Mage-Rogue smacks into an oak tree at full speed.

Our heroes bravely ran away while the uninjured one dealt to her concussed colleague.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-04-03, 07:36 AM
In my opinion, the best solution is to homebrew your own. In my game, the only Bag of Holding the PCs are likely to find is going to be an intelligent bag that really needs a hug! :smallbiggrin:

High-heeled shoes are also a must: they keep your character from being flat-footed when worn. :smallamused:

Garagos
2012-04-03, 07:54 AM
High-heeled shoes are also a must: they keep your character from being flat-footed when worn. :smallamused:

Haha that's awesome!

I remember in one of my old campaigns many years ago one of the players was playing a sorcerer named Tim (based off the MP Holy Grail character) so I gave him a Wand of Harmless Fireballs (homebrew) with unlimited charges. That way he could lob fireballs around as much as he wanted without it being dangerous.

Rinomi
2012-04-03, 08:07 AM
Haha a lot of those items are freaking awesome!!!

Ravens_cry
2012-04-03, 08:26 AM
Eyebeam™
Lost an eye? Need both hands when picking locks preforming tasks of a delicate nature?
Well, than do we have the item for you. Our patent pending glass eye will emit a narrow beam of light on command at whatever you are looking at, providing hands free illumination for all your burgling illuminative needs.
Minimum order of two (2) per customer.
Will not provide actual visual acuity or binocular vision.
Do not operate Eyebeams™ while intoxicated or under the effects of a confusion effect.
Manufacturers not responsible for any arrests, imprisonments, or executions entailed from the use or purchase of this item.
Sale prohibited by law where purchasing is disallowed.
Keep out of reach of children under the age of three.

navar100
2012-04-03, 01:58 PM
Rod of Protection From Rain

Pressing the button on this rod, it extends itself and at one end opens a small canopy. Holding it overhead, you don't get wet from rain, not accounting for wind.

Elixir of Quenching

By drinking this vial of clear liquid, you are no longer thirsty.

Thumperganker
2012-04-03, 03:59 PM
deck of many things for random summon or illusion

navar100
2012-04-03, 05:55 PM
deck of many things for random summon or illusion

I actually had something like that two campaigns ago. My cleric had a Deck of Summoning which was like the Deck of Illusions but actually summoned the creature instead of being an illusion. It was quite necessarily helpful and fun to have summoned a red dragon and a lich on two separate occasions.

nedz
2012-04-03, 06:52 PM
Whats wrong with the old Wand of Wonder ?
Yes, I know, ...

Why are these things all identical though ?

Could not some Wizard or Artificier not make one with, like, different random effects ?

navar100
2012-04-03, 08:39 PM
Ring of Rings

Wearing this magic ring does not count against the limit of wearing only one magic ring on each hand.

Cube of Randomness

Each face of this cube has a different rune. Upon rolling the cube, the rune on top provides a value. If you have more than one Cube of Randomness, you can roll them together or separately. The values of each cube usually stack but at your option you can manipulate the results. Rumors exist of Cubes of Randomness that have more or less than 6 sides.

blackjack217
2012-04-03, 10:07 PM
Banhammer:
When you hit your opponent with this hammer they must make a DC 15 will save or be shifted to a random plane of existence for one round. At the start of their next turn they reappear in the spot they originally occupied.

shadow_archmagi
2012-04-03, 10:11 PM
My favorite magic item is still the pickaxe with a picture of an angry dwarf that breaks Walls of Force.

Dwarves *hate* when they have to stop mining.

navar100
2012-04-03, 11:30 PM
Mirror of Revealing

Looking into this magic mirror, you see what is behind you.

Cup Of Holding

Pouring a potion into this cup allows you to drink it and benefit from its effect. The cup can be used to drink non-magical liquids if you wish.

NNescio
2012-04-04, 05:48 AM
Raiment of the Ice Fairy

This simple, blue and white robe radiates an unearthly chill.

When worn, the wearer gains access to up to nine spells, provided he can cast spells of the requisite spell level. The spells (and their spell levels) are as follows:

1 Ice Slick
2 Ice Knife
3 Icelance
4 Wall of Ice
5 Blizzard
6 Freezing Fog
7 Ice Claw
8 Frostfell
9 Iceberg

The above spells are effectively added to a caster's list of known spells when he gains access to them. Arcane spellcasters cast these spells as arcane, while divine spellcasters cast them as divine. Casters who prepare spells must still prepare the above spells as normal, but a spellbook is not required for preparation, even if the caster would normally require one to prepare his other spells. Spells gained from this item cannot be used for scribing spells or crafting items, and are immediately lost when the Raiment is taken off.

Characters with levels in multiple spellcasting classes gain the above benefit separately for each spellcasting class they possess.

In addition, all spells with the [Cold] descriptor are cast at +9 caster level, and are automatically Empowered and Maximized (if eligible).

While wearing this item, the character's Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores are all adjusted to 9, and this value cannot be changed by any means other than taking off the Raiment (which restores them to their original values before the Raiment is worn). If a caster's casting ability score is tied to something other than (or in addition to) the aforementioned mental abilities, those are similiarly adjusted to 9, and likewise cannot be changed. The wearer is also continually under the effect of the Delusions of Grandeur spell.

Strong Conjuration, Evocation; CL 19th; Craft Wondrous Item, Ice Slick, Ice Knife, Icelance, Wall of Ice, Blizzard, Freezing Fog, Ice Claw, Frostfell, Iceberg; Price 99,999 gp; Weight 9 lb

panaikhan
2012-04-04, 07:10 AM
one of my favorite items was the "Helm of 40-Watt Brilliance"
when worn by a character with an Int less than average, it gave sudden flashes of Common Sense when the party seemed to be completely lacking thereof.

I had to actually hand one of these out to a party I GM'ed for :smallfrown: