PDA

View Full Version : Expedition to Mist's Wake [E6 Low Magic 3.5]

FlamingKobold
2012-04-02, 09:25 PM
@nazgulnine

As Ion is walking through the Azure district, he’s hailed by a gruff, bearded passerby wearing a fine set of sailor’s clothing. “Ion, m’boy,” the man says as he pats Ion on the back, “ya sure have grown a tad since ya were the stowaway runt we found all those years ago!” At this point Ion recognizes the weary, old face of Lucas Aspers, the first mate of the ship he snuck onto in his teenage years. “I’d love ta catch up with ya to see if all of them stories I’ve heard of ya are true, but for now I’m in a bit of a hurry. Ya see, I was hired by Anteki Alresian – nice, misunderstood chap he is – ta explore this small island called Mist’s Wake. Tha issue is, is that I just don’t know what we’re goin’ to find and it might get a tad messy, if ya know what I mean. Havin’ a man with me that I know and trust like ya would help put this old sailor’s heart at ease, and there’s a decent bit o’ gold in it for ya too. Take this here, I need ta be on me way now.” With that he pats Ion’s back again as he hands him a piece of parchment and walks away.

As Ion looks down at the paper he sees a message in bright red letters: “Expedition to Mist’s Wake – explorers and sailors needed.” Underneath, a smaller line of black ink says: “25 gold pieces plus 5 more per week. Interested persons report to the Black Dawn in the Merchant district at noon on the 8th of Tarsakh”

OOC:
The 8th of Tarsakh is tomorrow

@dzhang

As Phayss walks through the dirty, cracked streets of the Shadowshore once again considering the prospects of going solo and cutting his ties to Drial, he notices a strange sight out of the corner of his eye. A tall, well-dressed man is hanging a sign up on a large, central board of flyers and ads on the side of the tavern. The man seems strangely out of place in Shadowshore – not often does the nobility, as this man appears to be, grace such a lowly place with their presence. As he finishes, the man casts a cursory but disgusted look around at the filth of the neighborhood and walks away swiftly. As he moves, Phayss can make out the text on the parchment, a message in bright red letters: “Expedition to Mist’s Wake – explorers and sailors needed.” Underneath, a smaller line of black ink says: “25 gold pieces plus 5 more per week. Interested persons report to the Black Dawn in the Merchant district at noon on the 8th of Tarsakh.”

OOC:
The 8th of Tarsakh is tomorrow.

Phayss recognizes the man as Anteki Alresian, a noble from the Champion’s district.

@Haze:

As Jake is walking down the streets of the Azure district near dusk, he’s approached by a hooded figure that, upon closer inspection, he recognizes as a member of the Scarlet Brotherhood. The man hands Jake a piece of paper and says, “I know it’s been awhile, but there’s a job that I think you might be interested in. The Brotherhood is hiring a few guards for this expedition to some random island, but we need someone that’s knows how the Brotherhood works to be there. There isn’t any murder involved, nothing even illegal, and the Brotherhood needs someone without strong ties to the organization, which is where you come in. Pay’s damn good too, and there’s more gold where that came from if you do it well.” With that he turns and walks away, vanishing into the darkness.

As Jake looks down at the paper he sees a message in bright red letters: “Expedition to Mist’s Wake – explorers and sailors needed.” Underneath, a smaller line of black ink says: “25 gold pieces plus 5 more per week. Interested persons report to the Black Dawn in the Merchant district at noon on the 8th of Tarsakh”

OOC:
The 8th of Tarsakh is tomorrow

@PersonMan:

OOC:
PM coming your way.

dzhang
2012-04-03, 08:45 AM
Public service link: OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238239)

DM only:

Exploring an island? That could be promising. Maybe earning a little gold to pay off Drial would be the best--part on friendly terms, so that Phayss could call upon Drial again if need be. There's only one major problem though: Phayss never learned to swim, having spent his whole life in Shadowshore.

Phayss glances up at the sun, and judges it to be maybe 2pm--that's a good 22 hours until the deadline tomorrow. Possibly enough time to learn some basics and get some tools. Also enough to report his temporary absence to Drial. Well, first things first.

Phayss jogs over to the Creeping Vine, LLC, bar and inn. It sounds better than what it actually is: a hastily remodeled brothel that burned down some twenty years ago. As he marches in, he sees that the second candle from the left on the barkeep's counter was unlit; Drial isn't busy.

Phayss knocks on the Rat Room on the second floor, and announces himself. "Boss? It's me, Phayss."

"Come in."

Phayss enters, and sees that Drial is in the middle of a meal. It seems that Drial is always in the middle of a meal when he's not "busy", either with deals or with women. Phayss decided to start with business; he grabs his Vial of Oil of Taggit and puts in on the table, far away from Drial's food.

"My friend finished making this. Says if you slip it in food, the guy will be in dreamland within 5 minutes. My friend wants to trade this for more nightshade and taggit livers. You got anything for me?"

OOC:

Trying to trade my Oil of Taggit (90gp list price) for raw ingredients for Drow Poison or Oil of Taggit. The former should be worth 12.5gp and the latter should be worth 15gp per dose. So, I should get raw materials for between 3 and 6 doses of poison, depending on the exact terms of their implicit deal.

Drial should have been expecting this, so hopefully he'll have some onhand.

Business done, Phayss broached the other topic. "You got anything you need me to do for you in the next couple weeks? If not, I was thinking I could take a brief vacation. Never been out of Sasserine before, and there's this ship leaving for Mist's Wake. All expenses paid, and then some, run by Alresian. If you're interested, I could tell you what happened when I get back."

OOC:

Let me know if Drial would like Phayss to do anything in particular, either before he leaves, or as a mission while on the trip. Does Phayss know if Drial or his bosses have any previous relationship with Alresian?

Knowledge[Local]: [roll0]

Phayss next headed to the literal hole in the district wall that he called home, pulling aside the curtain and lying on the sack of sand and flour that served as his bed. A sack of pure flour would have been more comfortable, but was apt to get stolen, only by mixing in some sand could he prevent most people from stealing it. And even then, it had been stolen once, before Phayss retrieved it after bloodying the offender a bit.

Phayss took out a sheet of paper and started writing, making sure as always to use his "ugly" handwriting. "Nila. Will be on boat for short trip. Be back soon. Stay full and healthy."

He rips out the corner with text (paper is expensive!) and stuffs it in a crevice in the wall. Nila would know to look there, and everyone else has learned from previous experience that Phayss didn't tolerate intrusion into his home by anyone else. But Nila wouldn't look there until probably tomorrow evening, after he's gone. Otherwise, being nosy as she is, she may want to follow along.

That leaves only the last task of buying emergency swim gear, and trying as quickly as possible to learn to swim. Phayss checks with his Shadowshore contacts that evening, goes to bed, and then wakes up around 5am to head over to the Azure District for any remaining items he couldn't locate.

OOC:

Trying to buy: a pair of flippers (kinda like for scuba diving... mundane items for +2 in Swimming), and 3 inflatable lifevests (the kind where you blow into it to inflate it). Have only 10 gp, he wants to save at least 2 gp, and may need to spend up to 1 gp for swimming lessons, so he's willing to spend up to 7 gold on these items. Let me know which he can quickly locate for a reasonable price. He's also smart enough to test each of them out to make sure they're not defective.

Diplomacy: [roll1]
Gather Information: [roll2] hours: [roll3]

He heads out to the Merchant District, aiming to arrive at the Black Dawn some 30 minutes early.

FlamingKobold
2012-04-04, 02:20 PM
@dzhang:

Drial looks appraisingly at the poison for a few moment, shrugs, and slides two small pouches across the table, grunting "That's four nightshades and two livers. Consider it generous."

As for Phayss's other request, Drial thinks for a few seconds, then shakes his head and says "Just don't get killed. And make sure you tell me what you find, this could be a profitable future business venture. But Alresian... Watch out for him, and don't trust him too much. He'll be friendly when he needs to be, but he'll cross you the second it benefits him or his Brotherhood. Now go, I have works to do."

OOC:
You can buy some lower quality flippers for 6 gold, but they only provide a +1 bonus. (As per the PH, a masterwork tool costs several hundred gold for some reason)

@PersonMan
As Lisia walks through the streets of the well kept and clean cobblestone streets of the Noble District, she notices a well-dressed man is hanging a sign up on a large, central board of flyers and ads, primarily used for hiring purposes by the nobles. While such a sight is not normally uncommon, Lisia recognizes the man as Anteki Alresian, a very private but courteous man from the Champion's District who serves as the Scarlet Brotherhood's ambassador. As he finishes, the man casts a furtive glance around without seeing Lisia and slinks away. As he moves, Lisia can make out the text on the parchment, a message in bright red letters: “Expedition to Mist’s Wake – explorers and sailors needed.” Underneath, a smaller line of black ink says: “25 gold pieces plus 5 more per week. Interested persons report to the Black Dawn in the Merchant district at noon on the 8th of Tarsakh.”

Lisia recognizes the island of Mist's Wake: it's the common name for the mysterious site of an ancient empire, thats strength arose from the magic of words themselves. It has been said that such a place would hold many magical artifacts in the innumerable ruins and that there is a possibility that the natives of the island still hold the power to change reality with a single sentence.

OOC:
Sorry for the wait. Also, the 8th of Tarsakh is tomorrow

dzhang
2012-04-04, 07:54 PM
DM only:

"Got it, Boss. I'll let you know if there's any fat we can trim, but won't do anything on this trip."

OOC:

Hm, I wasn't necessarily looking for something to improve my swim skill, so much as emergency measures not to drown. For the inflatable vests, I was thinking something bulky that actually lowers my Swim skill, but prevents drowning.

In any case, if Phayss can't find any for sale, he'll try to buy some raw ingredients and make it himself. Basically, he'll buy some cloth and sewing needles and wax and grease. He'll cut the cloth into the shape of a life preserver, and liberally apply wax and grease, both on the inside and on the outside. It'll probably leak a little air or water, but should help for not drowning.

Untrained Craft check: [roll0]

As noon approaches, Phayss has his eye out for other volunteers of note, while trying his best to look average.

nazgulnine
2012-04-04, 09:09 PM
DM Only:
Taking the scroll in hand, Ion grins to himself.
Good to see old Lucas still around and kicking, he thinks. Pocketing the parchment after reading it, Ion looks around the Azure district's familiar docks, shades of the past flooding his vision. Some faces look older, others just aren't here... I guess I've been away too long. Still, 25 gold with service is nothing to scoff at. I guess I'd better find someplace to lay the wait 'til tomorrow.

With that, Ion started off to the nearest inn, all the while his eye drifting in the direction of the Shadowshore. He caught himself more than once patting his leg as he walked in the direction of the nearest inn he remembered. He addresses the owner, a woman he barely remembers from his childhood.
"Well this is a fair sight for sore eyes. Been weeks on a ship, and I could do with a room on dry land for the night, at least. Think you could put up an old resident come traipsing home for the night?"

I don't really need to buy anything and Ion'd be worn out from the trip and looking forward to a soft bed. I suppose he'll wake up several hours before noon and make his way to the merchants' district.

PersonMan
2012-04-05, 04:12 AM
DM:
ᐐଐો will do a bit of investigation to find the location and some other information on the Black Dawn (Gather Information bonus is +2, I'll probably try that) today before reading more from her truenaming book, hoping to prepare for the expedition.

On the 8th, ᐐଐો wears her reinforced clothing and takes her Best Friend and a longsword with her, keeping both fairly concealed, and goes to the Black Dawn, arriving about ten minutes early, intent on seeing the other applicants arrive.

FlamingKobold
2012-04-09, 12:25 AM
@Personman:
Lisia arrives to the ship early to find the captain and crew busy dealing with the mundane preparations for voyage. Judging from the urgency and twinge of irritation in the captain's voice in his yells, she assumes that he's either highly strung or the workers are significantly behind schedule. With such work to be done, the deckhands have little time for a newcomer, and brush past Lisia with a mumbled apology at best.

Closer to noon, she sees two unfamiliar faces striding towards the ship, obviously adventurers like herself. The one in front is an average-looking man aged 26, standing around 5 feet and 6 inches. He has jade green eyes and windswept dirt-brown hair. He keeps a steel rapier at his waist along with several other sundries of general-use, including a mirror, a toolbelt, and some soap, along with a mostly-filled traveler's backpack. He has some small medallions and hempen jewelry on his person. He's dressed in a pair of cloth pants, leather boots and gloves, and a light tunic beneath what resembles a flak-jacket of iron-studded leather.

Behind him comes a much larger man with a handaxe by his belt, a half-dozen javelins strapped to his back, and studded leather armor. A heavy wooden shield serves as the cradle for his backpack. From his brown hair, black eyes, and tanned skin, Lisia suspects he may be descended from the northern barbarian tribes.

@nazgulnine:
Ion arrives to the ship to find the captain and crew busy dealing with the mundane preparations for voyage. Judging from the urgency and twinge of irritation in Captain Aspers' voice in his yells, he assumes that the workers are significantly behind schedule, as Lucas was never one to get angry.

On the deck, looking a tad out of place stands a young woman wearing black and brown clothes, a knee-length skirt over thick pants with a pair of dark half-boots. This clothing is clearly reinforced, heavily, and seems like it could function quite well as armor, a subtle sign that Ion picks up on that this is a woman prepared for a fight. A combination of numerous pockets, metal plates, thick fabric and leather as well as other additions to her clothing make the jacket-like top she wears far heavier than normal clothes and far more durable.Still, she has the smooth, pale skin of a typical beautiful noble scion as well as a figure which speaks of both frequent physical training and a well-nourishing diet.

Following Ion onto the ship comes a much larger man with a handaxe by his belt, a half-dozen javelins strapped to his back, and studded leather armor. A heavy wooden shield serves as the cradle for his backpack. From his brown hair, black eyes, and tanned skin, Ion. suspects he may be descended from the northern barbarian tribes.

@dzhang:
Phayss arrives to the ship to find the captain and crew busy dealing with the mundane preparations for voyage. Judging from the urgency and twinge of irritation in the captain's voice in his yells, he assumes that the workers are significantly behind schedule or that the captain is simply high strung.

On the deck, looking a tad out of place stands a young woman wearing black and brown clothes, a knee-length skirt over thick pants with a pair of dark half-boots. This clothing is clearly reinforced, heavily, and seems like it could function quite well as armor, a subtle sign that Phayss picks up on that this is a woman prepared for a fight. A combination of numerous pockets, metal plates, thick fabric and leather as well as other additions to her clothing make the jacket-like top she wears far heavier than normal clothes and far more durable.Still, she has the smooth, pale skin of a typical beautiful noble scion as well as a figure which speaks of both frequent physical training and a well-nourishing diet.

Walking just a few steps ahead of Phayss onto the ship is n average-looking man aged 26, standing around 5 feet and 6 inches. He has jade green eyes and windswept dirt-brown hair. He keeps a steel rapier at his waist along with several other sundries of general-use, including a mirror, a toolbelt, and some soap, along with a mostly-filled traveler's backpack. He has some small medallions and hempen jewelry on his person. He's dressed in a pair of cloth pants, leather boots and gloves, and a light tunic beneath what resembles a flak-jacket of iron-studded leather.

As the captain barks an order at a deckhand that seems to be just wandering around without accomplishing much of anything, he turns and sees the three adventurers aboard his ship. With a sudden change of tone, his scowl cracks into a smile that lights up his weary, bearded face. "Well you lads and lady must be tha ones who be kindly agreeing ta accompany meself and me crew on this fine journey. Welcome to tha Black Dawn, me pride and joy. This here journey'll be takin quite some time, and I don't want no one that's not ready. I know that Ion'll be ready for whatever tha gods of the sea throw our way," he says, nodding to the average-looking man in the center, "but I don't know about anyone else. Do either of the two of ya have experience sailin the great seas?"

dzhang
2012-04-09, 01:58 AM
Phayss glances nervously at the woman, and, seeing her not anything, decides to speak up.

"Uh, not really. Poster said sailors or aventer.. advunter.. adventurer. Me, more of an avun.. more of a fighter." says Phayss, apparently giving up on pronouncing such a long word.

Phayss pauses a moment, and then hastens to add "But I'm good at knocking heads though! Don't need ta worry bout being boarded by pirates wit me around!"

PersonMan
2012-04-09, 05:37 AM
ᐐଐો listens to the large man as he explains that his strengths lie not in sailing, but in combat. It certainly matches his appearance and armament. She is for a moment tempted to correct his pronunciation, but decides against it. His way of speaking may have bothered others more accustomed to 'proper' Armedian, but it didn't have such an effect on ᐐଐો. It could be that Armedian was the man's second language, and that he primarily used another in everyday life. Perhaps his family spoke Northern, and he lived in a tight-knit group of similar ancestry?

No, ᐐଐો begins, shaking her head as she begins to answer the man's question, while I may be of minor use in combat or on the ship, my primary strengths are scholarly - identifying artifacts, reading ancient writing and similar things. I have a great knowledge on history, which can be of great use while on the island, she explains. I am ᐐଐો, although you may call me Lisia if you find it easier to pronounce, ᐐଐો adds.

dzhang
2012-04-09, 07:22 AM
Phayss nods, and points at his own chin. "Phayss."

After a pause, the Barbarian realizes the ambiguity of his last statement, and refines the statement, pointing to his own chest and saying, "My name is Phayss. Good ta meet you."

dzhang
2012-04-09, 07:30 AM
DM only:

Do I know anything about either of the other two, or of the captain?

Lisia, Knowledge[Local]: [roll0]
Other PC, Knowledge[Local]: [roll1]
Captain, Knowledge[Local]: [roll2]

FlamingKobold
2012-04-10, 01:27 AM
"Aye, I'll be callin' you Lisia, then. Language ain't exactly me strong suit. As long as yer ready for a fight and help the crew, there won't be no problems," the captain says, shrugging. "The crew we've got here be young and new; for many of 'em this be their first long journey. Tha two of ya seem to have good heads on your shoulders," he adds, with a quick, questioning look towards Phayss, "But even ya aren't exactly, I know me lad Ion'll be willin to help me out if thar be any troubles on the seas." He smiles at Ion, then adds, "Oh, I forget me manners, I'm Captain Aspers, Lucas Aspers, good ta meet ya." With that, Aspers steps forward to shake the hands of Lisia and Phayss, then steps back, looks at the sun and says, "We should be settin sail within the hour. If any of ya have anything ya need ta do before we leave, now might be tha last chance. Any takers?" he asks, looking expectantly at the three of them.

@dzhang:
Phayss recognizes Lisia as Alicia Grey Anders, the second daughter of a minor noble family in Sasserine.

Captain Aspers has been sailing for decades, having just bought his own ship a few years ago with money he'd earned as a deckhand and firstmate of the Blue Nixie.

dzhang
2012-04-10, 11:41 AM
DM:

Any info on Asper's reputation? Trustworthy or scheming? Lawful or criminal? Any family in Sasserine, or would he be OK with never returning?

Phayss retrieves his coin pouch, and shakes it a little. There is a little clinking, but clearly the pouch does not hold much. "Advance pay to buy booze for the trip?"

all:

I'm assuming we buy what we need OOC, and then continue onwards?

nazgulnine
2012-04-11, 08:51 PM
Ion grins wryly at the captain.
"Good day, cap'n. I mostly go by Ion. Experience sailing? Why I could tell you a million stories, but I do believe we are on a schedule, no? What do you say instead to a live example once we set this girl to sail, captain?"
He then flashes a brief smirk before offering a quick salutory gesture, taking in the faces all around him.

@DM:Knowledge local on the young woman: [roll0]
Same on Lisia:[roll1]
Same on Phayss: [roll2]
[roll3] (this was a copying error)
(just trying to get Ion some background info)

@dzhang:Yeah, I think that's the case here.

FlamingKobold
2012-04-13, 12:59 AM
The captain gives a hearty chuckle at Phayss' statement, saying, "Sorry lad, I'm not tha one with tha money. Yer gonna get paid by Alrek when we get back. He figures that if somethin were ta happen to us, he'd rather not lose his money too. Makes sense if ya think about it, eh? But I wouldn't worry about the booze, there be plenty of that here already." He flashes a toothy grin at Phayss, amused by his eagerness momentarily, before getting back to business.

"Seems like a good idea, m'boy. Plenty of work to be done!" Aspers says, patting Ion on the shoulder. "As for the two of ya," he adds, gesturing Lisia and Phyass, "feel free to go belowdecks and check out yer rooms. Lisia yer gonna be in tha last one on tha left, Phayss third one of tha right." With that he turns around and continues giving orders to Ion and the rest of the crew.

As the afternoon wears on, the ship finally leaves port. As Sasserine's harbor begins to disappear, Phayss, Lisia and Ion are approached by a short, eccentric-looking old man who seems almost surprised to see them there. "Well well, what do we have here?" he asks. "You look different than the normal riffraff aboard these ships, what brings you aboard? I'm Urol, by the way. Urol Furor. I'm a professor at Sydgewind University, studying ancient artifacts. Do you know the historical importance of this journey? We could be the first documented voyage to explore Mist's Wake and live to tell the tale! Isn't that exciting?" He speaks rapidly, with little to no pause between thoughts, even when asking questions. It's as though his mouth can't keep up with the jumble of thoughts crossing his mind as he pays little attention to the people whom he's addressing. After he's finished talking, he looks up expectantly, as though he's confused by the lack of an immediate response.

@dzhang:
You don't know of anyone having really said anything bad about him. He seems like an honest man earning his living on the sea.

@nazgulnine
Ion recognizes Lisia as Alicia Grey Anders, the second daughter of a minor noble family in Sasserine. There are strange rumors that surround the family, but very few people take them seriously. (Lisia is the young woman)

dzhang
2012-04-13, 08:52 AM
To Lisia and Ion, Phayss seems a bit disgruntled to be accosted by the old man, rather than allowed to raid the grog stock. Phayss visibly crinkles his brow as he tries to process the professor's fast and long-worded speech. When at last he seems to understand the man's monologue, Phayss speaks up, "Trouble on island? Why don't others come back alive?"

There is no terror or apprehension in Phayss's voice; he almost seems as if he was somewhat expecting this.

After another moment, Phayss asks, "The ancient atrefacks.. are they worth a lot of gold?"

FlamingKobold
2012-04-13, 02:06 PM
Urol casts an almost apologetic look towards Ion and Lisia, obviously sorry that he's wasting their time answering such basic questions. "Well my dear boy, no one's entirely sure. The only way we could know that is if they lived to tell the tale," he says, talking to Phayss in an intentionally slower tone. The second question puzzles him for a moment, as though he can't wrap his mind around the idea of selling the artifacts. "I, erm, suppose they would, not that we'd want to sell them. They should be given to a university for study so we can learn more of the ancient world. Knowledge is more important to many than gold, you know." His last sentence to Phayss is rather dismissive, disapproving of the barbarian's lack of understanding the true value of the artifacts. "I presume that your friend here is merely here in case of trouble in the form of physical altercations, but what draws the two of your to this voyage? Do you seek adventure, knowledge, or both? Neither? I'm curious, for I have not yet met anyone else aboard that has a genuine interest in the legendary Isle towards which we journey, which is a shame. Fascinating history just fascinating... Oh I forget me manners, I'm Urol," he adds, extending his hand, "What are your names?" He addresses this last question to Lisia and Ion as he slips back into his more rapid, un-pausing delivery from before, evaluating them to be more capable to keep up with a "normal" speed of conversation.

dzhang
2012-04-13, 02:32 PM
DM only:

Sense Motive on Urol: [roll0]
Trying to detect if he knows the nature of the dangers we may face.

Phayss, determined not to make the same mistake as last time, points to his chest and declares, "I'm Phayss! But I want beer more than history lessons. Bye bye."

Phayss then leaves the company of the old man.

DM only:

Phayss wanders about the deck, talking to everyone who doesn't appear too busy. Phayss keeps it as small talk, mostly to try to get a feel of the crew's feelings on the voyage to this mysterious isle from which no one has been purported returned alive.

Sense Motive (to recognize anyone who seems out of place: [roll1]
Spot (to see/recognize any items/insignia/tattooes that may yield information about any of the crew): [roll2]

Phayss then explores every level of the ship, keeping an eye out for any places to hide things, both small items and big enough to hide a person. Search take 20 = 23.

When finished, Phayss returns to the deck and practices swinging his handaxe, while keeping an eye out for any unusual behaviors among the crew or any dangers that appear on the horizon.

Could I get a description of how large the ship is, and how many crew there are?

PersonMan
2012-04-13, 04:06 PM
As Urol turns his attention from Phayss, ᐐଐો shifts slightly to the side, extending her right hand to shake the one offered by the professor. His style of speech was interesting, and she flexed the numerous muscle groups in her neck and mouth, considering mimicking the speed of which he spoke just for the practice. Then she considers both whether or not doing so would be rude and if that fact would matter in this situation. Perhaps the man would enjoy speaking with someone whose words had the same speed as his own, but he might take it as an insult...

After a brief moment of consideration, ᐐଐો decides that a spontaneous practice session would be fairly unnecessary and not really the best way to make a good impression. Despite ᐐଐો all but taking for granted her talent for making people like her, she was still wary of potential mistakes in that area. So, she settled for a simple introduction. I'm ᐐଐો, although you can call me Lisia if you wish.

FlamingKobold
2012-04-14, 12:25 AM
When Lisia tells Urol her real name, his head tips to the side and he takes a rare pause. "ᐐଐો? That is most definitely not a standard Armenian name..." He ponders this for a moment, then asks, "That can't be Ancient Olman, can it? No, no, the vowel sounds are much too long. Forgive me, but what language is that? It sounds oddly familiar to me and yet it is not. Anyway, names aside, for what reason are you on this voyage?

@dzhang:
After several hours milling around interacting with the various other members of the ship, Phayss determines that there's definitely something strange going on. It has the air a tense political meeting where no one wants to be the first to reach across the aisle or interact in any meaningful way. While the majority of the few dozen non-crew members on board seem to be rather agreeable and open to polite conversation, Phayss gets the feeling that many of them are steering the conversation in a way to prevent it from advancing beyond mere small talk. Questions are deflected or dodged, exchanges are cut short and a striking silence occurs when Phayss walks too near groups talking in low whispers.

This isn't to say that the feel is malevolent or anything short of adventurous and excited, however. Overall, most of the people appear to be on the trip for the purpose of exploration, work or intellectual curiosity, nothing more. But there is definitely something strange happening on the ship.

The crew themselves seem to be younger and less experienced than average, a fact emphasized by Captain Aspers' exasperated orders. While many have tattoos, family crest and other symbols displayed, there doesn't appear to be any significant or suspicious pattern.

OOC:
You don't find any compartments out of the ordinary, in the common areas at least. Do you also search through locked/barred/private rooms such as the captains quarters and the navigation room?

The ship is about 110 feet long with three stories below deck in some places and has a crew of between 20 and 30.

dzhang
2012-04-14, 01:06 AM
DM only:

Phayss will try not to draw attention for now, so he'll leave the locked and barred rooms alone. Noticing the strange tension, Phayss will continue obliquely observing all members of the crew, trying to determine groups of loyalty and potential hierarchy of the groups (i.e. one or a couple people who most of the others talk to).

OOC:

Also, as Phayss was exploring the ship, did he see many stashed weapons? Are the other crew members generally armed, or have arms in their rooms (in rooms that happen to be unlocked)?

Are the sleeping arrangements such that Phayss is rooming with someone? Phayss was also trying to find a place to stash his poison reagents so that nosy people won't notice them.

I guess we should also wait for the other two's timeline to catch up...

PersonMan
2012-04-14, 04:46 AM
It's something like a mixture of several, actually. It's part of an attempt of mine to reconstruct what might have been a language from which most others spoken on this continent arose, ᐐଐો explained. As for why I'm interested in the island, it's because of the possibility that there could be something related to this language there, as well as for the opportunity to investigate the island itself.

FlamingKobold
2012-04-19, 06:42 PM
@PersonMan and nazgulnine

"Indeed it does seem to have several interesting language roots, but some I've never come across before... Very perplexing," Urol trails off again, before resuming his rapid-fire manner of speaking. "You say you're going for the language? Then you are more than some random adventurer, I see. What are you then? A professor of language? A student of rhetoric? An inquisitive mind? Forgive me, I just love interacting with those who are as fascinated with language as I am! What initially drew your interest--" he stops his sentence as Captain Aspers' large hand pats him on the shoulder. "Urol, ya little bugger, what've I told ya about scarin' off the other passengers?" He chuckles, then addresses Lisia and Ion saying, "I'll apologize for me little friend here. He's a bit overexcited is all. And maybe jus' a bit off in tha head," he adds in a staged whisper as he elbows Urol in the side. "Now Urol, why don't ya get back ta yer books, I need ta talk to these three about somethin' important." As Urol slinks away, slightly saddened by the abrupt end to his conversation with Lisia. "Eh? Where's the third one of ya go? That big feller? Ah well, we can tell 'im about it later. Anyway, there be two things that ya need ta know. First off, I'd like tha two of ya to come to dinner in me private quarters, let ya meet with some of our other, ah, dignified passengers, if ya'd like ta do so," he, on the whole, doesn't seem to excited by this event, but carries on after a brief pause. "Also, since ya are supposedly the ship's main guards, I that ya should know that we're going ta be stoppin' at an old fort on the coast at tha end of this week ta pick up some supplies. Ya should be prepared for a fight, word has it that some native of the Kapok jungle be attackin' the fort lately. It hopefully won't be comin' to that, but I jus' thought ya should know."

@dzhang:
As dusk settles in, Captain Aspers stumbles across Phayss in hall belowdecks, and exclaims, "M'boy! There ya are! It's Phayss, right? Anyway, there be two things that ya need ta know. First off, I'd like ya to come to dinner in me private quarters, let ya meet with some of our other, ah, dignified passengers, if ya'd like ta do so," he, on the whole, doesn't seem to excited by this event, but carries on after a brief pause. "Also, since ya are supposedly one o' the ship's main guards, I that ya should know that we're going ta be stoppin' at an old fort on the coast at tha end of this week ta pick up some supplies. Ya should be prepared for a fight, word has it that some native of the Kapok jungle be attackin' the fort lately. It hopefully won't be comin' to that, but I jus' thought ya should know."

dzhang
2012-04-19, 07:14 PM
DM only:

Phayss shrugs and says, "Not worried. Do I get to keep stuff of people who try to attack us?"

Phayss attends the dinner on time in his usual clothes, mindless of any decorum he is supposed to have when interacting with "dignified guests."

nazgulnine
2012-04-20, 08:42 AM
Ion shrugged at the recent conversation and gave a quick look over the deck for their third companion before giving up, deciding he must have crept below deck for something.
"I thought the little guy's speech was kind of interesting. Maybe I'll ask him something about this island later. Anyway, a dinner with the captain? Seems a mighty fine honor, Captain. Now on about this business with restocking... any word on exactly what it is we'll be... transporting?"

He turns to Lisia and says,
"That's an interesting feat you've taken on, Miss Anders. I'll be expecting a lesson on this language some time, perhaps over a cup or two. As for me, I'm merely looking for a nice bit of coin and a way to sharpen my wit, if I am so able."

dzhang
2012-04-20, 09:43 AM
OOC:

]I'd like to propose a 2-day rule. If any player doesn't post for 2 days, then the DM should be allowed to NPC the character for the next action. The player is welcome to retake control at any point, of course.

Does that sound good to everyone?

PersonMan
2012-04-29, 08:20 AM
ᐐଐો considers Ion for a moment. She'd never introduced herself with her last name to these people. Clearly, he had recognized and identified her. After a brief pause, she nods to the man. Turning back to the captain, ᐐଐો knows that her answer is predetermined. While she had never had formal or informal training in how to interact with your superiors on a ship of any sort, it was clear from Ion's reaction as well as the circumstances that declining such an invitation would be rude. Then again, it wasn't as if there was any reason not to...

That seems like a fine idea, captain, ᐐଐો says, her tone friendly.