PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hiding, Moving Silently, and Spellcasting

Laniius
2012-04-02, 09:57 PM
I am interested in spellcasting from stealth. I am only interested in casting spells that are beneficial to my allies rather than attacking my enemies (this is for a cohort character created just for this purpose).

I am tiny.

I have hide in plain sight, and a ring of the darkhidden (so I am invisible to darkvision).

What are the ramifications of me casting a spell while hidden and moving silently within reach of the enemy, if I do not have silent spell?

What about if I DO silent spell?

Would I automatically incur an attack of opportunity, or would the enemy need to succeed on a listen or spot check?

Again, I am not casting offensive spells. Only buffs and healing.

Thanks.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-04-02, 10:01 PM
Without silent spell, you take a hefty penalty to Move Silently when you do anything with a Verbal component. The DM might just say everyone knows where you are. With Silent, no problem there.

If its all buffs chances are there isn't anything flying from your fingers so baring Verbal components, your position shouldn't be discovered by casting.

They can't AoO something they are unaware of.

Laniius
2012-04-02, 10:07 PM
Without silent spell, you take a hefty penalty to Move Silently when you do anything with a Verbal component. The DM might just say everyone knows where you are. With Silent, no problem there.

If its all buffs chances are there isn't anything flying from your fingers so baring Verbal components, your position shouldn't be discovered by casting.

They can't AoO something they are unaware of.

What's the penalty? I couldn't seem to find it.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-04-02, 10:15 PM
What's the penalty? I couldn't seem to find it.

I dont think its explicitly stated anywhere but you must speak in a strong voice to cast a verbal component. I'd say its the same as "sounds of battle" which is a default -10 DC on a Listen check so I'd put it at a -10 penalty to Move Silently.

Quietus
2012-04-02, 10:22 PM
I dont think its explicitly stated anywhere but you must speak in a strong voice to cast a verbal component. I'd say its the same as "sounds of battle" which is a default -10 DC on a Listen check so I'd put it at a -10 penalty to Move Silently.

Not quite. To "Speak in a strong voice" means you're speaking at least at normal speech level - which is a straight DC 0 to hear. You can't cast a spell with a verbal component without giving an opponent that DC 0 check to hear that you're casting. So essentially, non-silent spell = you're being heard. Silent spell, you're working off of your Move Silently, because there is no verbal component.

Agent 451
2012-04-02, 10:57 PM
I know that you mentioned you were primarily buffing, but take a look at Cityscape for the Invisible and Deceptive metamagic feats. Either of these, combined with Silent Spell metamagic, might come in real handy if someone is sniffing around too close to your hidden caster!

edit: Grammar!

gomipile
2012-04-02, 11:01 PM
The easiest way is probably to be a spell-to-power Erudite with a +Concentration item, so you can make the concentration checks to manifest your powers with no display every time.