PDA

View Full Version : Every game starts as a kernel of an idea...

Greyfeld85
2012-04-02, 10:36 PM
So, a few months ago I had a dream. I was a student in a magic academy, where students were broken up by tiers of magic. At the top tier were the summoners, the dark warlocks who made pacts with demons and employed them as servants. The only way to gain dominion over these demons is to exert control over them by reciting its race's history by memory. If a demon was summoned and the magician couldn't finish the incantation, the binding breaks and the demon is free to do what it wishes (and usually results in killing the summoner).

I want to take this dream and craft it into something more tangible. I want to create a full-fledged campaign out of it. Unfortunately, I don't know where to start.

As it stands, there are a lot of systems that can probably host this sort of game. I want enough crunch available that I can structure the magical hierarchy as I see fit, but grant enough freedom that the players can use their imaginations instead of just reading off a list of spells/abilities. I want to encourage roleplay and deep, interesting characters while still having the ability to reign them in if they happen to start crossing outside the game's genre and defined limits.

I've considered GURPS, but I don't like how rule-intensive it is. Savage Worlds grants a lot of freedom, but would require I spend hours upon hours essentially creating all spells and abilities from scratch. D&D is automatically out of the question, because I don't want to run a game using a class-based system.

Can anybody help me? Any pointers or suggestions would be massively helpful.

Empedocles
2012-04-02, 10:50 PM
This is a fairly complicated system but I think it's quite excellent :smallsmile: Might work for what you're going for: http://www.thirdkingdomgame.com/

The setting is obviously not what you'd want, but it has a very flexible rule system...sounds like it could be adapted for what you want.

Greyfeld85
2012-04-05, 03:52 AM
What about Ars Magica?