PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Help a newb out: Swordsage

IzorkX
2012-04-03, 05:37 AM
Hey!

I'm fairly new to DND (Played years ago, but that I don't remember much)

I've tried out a few classes in our current campaign, but it always seems like im the weak one (Wu Jen - 1 session DEAD)(Dragon Shaman, i was useless at our lower levels)(My current: samurai, then I found out that its just a useless fighter)

So I looked into a Swordsage and it looks very good at lower-levels (Lv.4 which we are atm) and like something that fits my play-style.

However.. I am NOT good at optimising at all.

So basicly my main question is if anyone can build a good Swordsage Lv.4 (Explain.. i'm a newb heh:smallbiggrin:)(What im asking is which feats to take, manuevers, which weapon etc).

Hope anyone wants to help :))

Duskranger
2012-04-03, 05:47 AM
Needs more information.

But what I do:

Whisper Gnome Swordsage

Stats: Dex, Wis, Con, Str, Int, Cha

Feats: Adaptive style, Weapon Finesse, Shadow Blade (as soon as possible)

Shadow blade gives you Dex + str on attack with shadow hand weapons as long as you are in a shadow hand stance.

First stance should be: Child of Shadows (20% misschance is nothing to scoff at).

Since you are small your weapon probably does at low levels 1d4+5 (dex 20, Str 10), it goes up as soon as you have more than enough levels.

I think investment in Shadow Hand, Desert Wind and Diamond Mind is a nice way to go.

IzorkX
2012-04-03, 05:53 AM
Sorry for the lack of ínformation, what more do you need to know?

Our "base" stats (What we start with):

IzorkX
2012-04-03, 06:25 AM
One more thing, I would like to be a THW

Duskranger
2012-04-03, 06:38 AM
One more thing, I would like to be a THW

Since swordsages can't really use shields that's possible. I just don't know the best shadow hand weapons (except for Spiked chain, which costs a feat) for that.

sonofzeal
2012-04-03, 06:43 AM
Swordsage with a THW and good Str?

You'll be fine. Choose what sounds interesting and/or cool. Don't worry about Shadow Blade, it's only +2 damage for you and locks your stance down and takes a feat, not really worth it. Just do what comes naturally and you'll enjoy the character more. ToB is really hard to screw up.

IzorkX
2012-04-03, 06:46 AM
I thought of doing a greatsword/diamond mind, sounds really neat.

However,

I would like to have a high dex/wis but I wont have much for str then.

At the momment I have 10 in str since I thought of not going thw.

sonofzeal
2012-04-03, 07:06 AM
I thought of doing a greatsword/diamond mind, sounds really neat.

However,

I would like to have a high dex/wis but I wont have much for str then.

At the momment I have 10 in str since I thought of not going thw.
The great thing with Swordsage is you can go whichever way you want. I've seen Halfling Swordsages that rocked out with Shadow Hand, and I've seen Half-Orc Swordsages that ruled with Tiger Claw, and I've seen Human Unarmed Swordsages with all sorts of Setting Sun going on. All are effective. All work.

The question isn't "which is the right choice". The question is, "who do you want to play".

If I had to choose though... my favorite Martial Adept is still a Poison Dusk Lizardfolk Swordsage. Huge AC, good base damage, lots of clever little tricks. Shadow Blade off Natural Attacks is dubious by RAW, but could be considered part of Unarmed Strike.

Duskranger
2012-04-03, 07:08 AM
Well, if you could get your DM to drop the Wis penalty for Orcs, you could play a Orcish Swordsage, that would give you +4 str.

But indeed play what you like, not what others say you should play.