PDA

View Full Version : template help

torne
2012-04-03, 09:31 AM
ok so i know this has probably been answered quite a few times but im sick of looking for it. awhile back i thought i read that when you apply templates to a creature that if it had a progression of abilities based off of how many hd you had, it only went off of you monsterous hd is this correct if so can you point me to where it says it. if its different for pathfinder let me know as well

Duke of URL
2012-04-03, 01:01 PM
I can't see any rule in the SRD that says either way. By default, that means that HD = Character Level (RHD + class levels) unless the specific template says otherwise.

Whether or not it explicitly states so, I'm quite certain that the Feral template (SS) is meant to apply only to RHD for its abilities.

Darth Stabber
2012-04-03, 06:30 PM
The Duke has it right. A couple templates call specifically for racial HD (feral is the only one I can think of off hand, but I am sure there is another), but for the most part it's class lvls + racial. You may not get any bigger, but you have still developed the wearwithal to access the higher powers of your weirdness.

Urpriest
2012-04-03, 06:44 PM
HD (absent specific wording like in Feral) is HD, and character levels are HD. As I say in my monster guide, you are a monster too!

eggs
2012-04-03, 09:43 PM
And even Feral has been subject to extended debates because it doesn't use game jargon.

And just to make this even more convoluted, the Savage Template Progressions (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp) rewrite a fair number of template abilities to be based off character level, which is even more permissive than just "HD."

torne
2012-04-03, 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone yeah that's basically where I remember hearing about it was feral nice to know