View Full Version : Scurvy Dogs of the Cutthroat

Mordae
2012-04-03, 03:29 PM
DONK! The somewhat battered ship's bell yields a ragged ring as Peg-Leg Williams gives it a swift kick to announce the arrival of noon. The crew is mostly on deck, finishing up some sail patching, rope splicing, and deck bracing resulting from the latest squall that had nearly tossed Cutthroat up on the shores of Haiti. Port-au-Prince lay just twenty leagues east, and the lookout in the crow's nest kept a wary watch on the horizon for signs of French ships.

"Cap'n's on the deck!" bellows Peg-Leg as Pierre Longshanks emerges from his cabin to take a sun sighting. The battered black tricorn hat he wears covers a somewhat balding head, and his silken uniform of the same color is somewhat worn. Not that the Captain would ever seem to pay any mind to the crew's opinion; he stalks back to the quarterdeck with sextant in hand to observe the sparsely clouded heavens.

The sun beats down hard from its station in the azure sky, and the menfolk of the crew are drenched with sweat as they part ways to allow the captain to pass. Not a word is spoken against him, but as he moves on the telling scowls of displeasure emerge on nearly every weary face. Everyone knows the captain's holding out on them--either he's sitting on a vast pile of treasure, or perhaps he's too much of a gutless coward to tell them there isn't any silver to be had from the one catch they made two weeks ago.

As much as the crew loathes the man, though, no one has yet had the stones to challenge him...

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-03, 03:36 PM
Say Venger, da cap, he a dim un. Who in der right mind would think he should hide da loot from da crew? Matt's wispering to Venger, more a mutter then anything else.

Grinner
2012-04-03, 03:46 PM
"Peace, brother. There is wisdom in patience.", Brother John says, overhearing the rumbling.

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-03, 03:49 PM
Not talkin er killin the whelp. Sides, as a cap, how goods he been? He no let me call up a wind, or we woulda got som of dim ships. We make un catch, and does he say if there be anythin? no. All I wanna know is how a salt brain like him came cap.

AgentKalim
2012-04-03, 03:58 PM
"Ey, friends. The time for patience is long past. When was the last time any of you seen any reward for your hard work?" Espiridon takes out ones of his pistols, flips it in the air, and starts balancing it on the tip of his finger. Miraculously, it doesn't fall off.

"Guns, like women, don't work on tender love alone. Once in a while, you just have to treat them to something nice." he then flicks the gun up over his head and catches it backhanded, as if he were swatting a fly.

sdream
2012-04-03, 04:01 PM
"His fear is holding us all back. Fear of losing his ship, fear of letting us help with the voodoo, fear of facing the crew. I am not afraid of change. How have your discussions with those of the crew who will not speak with the heathens gone, Brother John?"

NotScaryBats
2012-04-03, 04:08 PM
"Bruddahs, how we gun catch a Blue Eyes under dis no good cap'n? Ven, I'd rather we sail under a smart'un like you." Dren rumbles mutinously, mostly to the two natives he is standing by.

AgentKalim
2012-04-03, 04:27 PM
"Dren, amigo, with this captain? We don't." Espiridon goads Dren. "So how about we go do something about it, eh?"

sdream
2012-04-03, 07:41 PM
Venger lays a calming hand upon his brother's mighty shoulder, but speaks to the quicksilver gunsmith.

"Moving without preparation risks merely trading an old fool for a new one. Did you speak with Jed Jeffson? Will they back the code if we put Longshanks aside?"

Saryon
2012-04-03, 07:55 PM
Working nearby, Illtyd notes the mutterings with a brief glance, then silently returns to patching the sail.

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-03, 09:09 PM
"Jed should, He also has his brothers to look after, so he has more to gain. But we'll have to ask him. And of course," He grimices slightly, "Talla. We get her on our side, the rest will follow."

Mordae
2012-04-04, 07:46 AM
As though the mention of her name from across the deck is enough to draw her attention, Talla Tiernan's typically languid look becomes more piercing. She sets down the rope she had been splicing and saunters across the Cutthroat to where the boys are conversing. Her curvy, deeply tanned body is covered in a low-cut black-and-white striped shirt, and her loose-fitting black pants are raggedly cropped just above the knees. She lays one lithe arm over Matt's shoulders and purrs in lightly Dutch-accented English, "Aw, you look tense, Matt. What seems to be the twouble that you find yourself with these wabblewousehs?" She tosses her sun-bleached hair to one side, offering Matt a winsome pout below her deep blue eyes.

sdream
2012-04-04, 08:30 AM
"It seems time, dear Talla, to speak openly of the papers I showed you earlier. Me friends and I wish to know if you agree that now is the time to take the coward and his friends in hand, and put the fate of the ship up to vote."

I took out "John wrote" as while I would have asked him to scribe for me, I'm not sure he would. In any case Venger can write in Spanish, just not as nicely as the Padre.

Mordae
2012-04-04, 10:10 AM
"Well, well," the ship's mistress flashes her lashes in Venger's direction. "So you have gwown the couwage to cawwy it out? Ho awe you going to distwact Silvew Steve?" She glances to the quarterdeck, where the burly, bald, bare-chested boatswain is watching the crew do their work. Any path to the captain would naturally go past him.

sdream
2012-04-04, 10:38 AM
"Distract him? We are no thieves in the night, we are craftsmen with dire news. Steve will bring us to Longshanks, or we will carry Steve to Longshanks."

Venger digs his sharp red nails deep into his own chest and grabs Dren's giant cutlass...

I think it won't do a roll in an edit, so I'm going to stick this here, as soon as I roll over 9, my second level enchant with 2 enhancements lands and Dren's huge Cutlass becomes unearthly red. If I fail, I'll keep trying (don't want to waste that 4 hp).

[roll0]

AgentKalim
2012-04-04, 11:03 AM
"Aha! Well spoken, friend! I could feel the time was right!" Espiridon has eyes only for the gun he is performing tricks with at the moment, and doesn't really notice Venger's display. He is itching for action so much, he doesn't even register Talla.

He then throws his gun up over his head, and steps backwards, as if he were just doing one of his many tricks, while he's actually moving closer to Steve with his gun drawn...

Grinner
2012-04-04, 11:30 AM
Brother John, standing back from his work, notices the flow of events.

He steps to Esperidion and murmurs,"Friend, they say discretion is the better part of valor. If God wills it, so it will be."

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-04, 12:26 PM
"Aye, Priest, but there's being so discreate that you can hardly keep a ship out of the water. We need a new cap. But, sneakin up on him ill probobly be better." He's not paying much Attention to Talla, but seem nervous about it.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-04, 04:52 PM
Dren nods to his brother, familiar with the voodoo he is using; it has long been a tactic of theirs. He waits for the familiar glow to set in, knowing that 'it be done when it be done' he doesn't rush his brother.

He grimly sets his jaw and cracks his knuckles, as prepared as he needs to be to go toe to toe with the captain's crony.

Saryon
2012-04-04, 08:28 PM
Having finished patching the sail, Illtyd clambers down and notes with unease the rising tension amongst his crewmates. Covering a yawn with a hand, he walks to the starboard railing and gazes out to sea. While he seems unconcerned with what's happening on deck, one might notice that he is within rifle range of Steve and has an unobstructed line of fire.

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-04, 08:48 PM
Matts Face markings turn sea blue, and the big stick he's always carring, it's runes are starting to glow.

sdream
2012-04-04, 09:31 PM
Venger smiles with satisfaction as Dren's blade suddenly seems covered in a fine patina of bright red blood.

"Now, who would like a little shade from stray bullets?"

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-04, 09:36 PM
"Let's just talk to him. Talla's with us, and I think that the Jeffson brothers are as well. The Blackwaters could go eitherway, but it's worth the risk. As for the stray bullets, I'll just hide behind you Ven."

Saryon
2012-04-04, 10:09 PM
Illtyd turns and leans back against the railing. Catching Matt's eye, he nods once to indicate his agreement. "Agreed. We should be reasonable about this. Unless he refuses to be."

sdream
2012-04-04, 10:25 PM
"Give me a second to whip up our shadows, jus in case. Espir, will you give us a chance to be diplomatic about a change in direction, if we went to speak with him now?"

Dren's shadow suddenly becomes slightly more active than the body that casts it, and it seems like fine threads of shadow even break free from the surface of the ground mommentarily to lash through the air.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-04, 10:33 PM
"Now we can do be reasonable." Dren says calmly. He trusts his brother's enchantments.

Unless stopped, he makes his way to the center of the deck and calls out to the captain, "Ey, Cap. Let's have a word."

Grinner
2012-04-04, 10:46 PM
"See. There is always a way." Brother John says as he heads to his quarters.

When he arrives, he pulls a key from his robes, unlocks a chest sitting beneath his bunk, and pulls a belt of eight guns from it. He also removes a measure of gunpowder packets and a handful of bullets.

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-04, 10:51 PM
"I'll go tell Jed and the Blackwaters, we'll need em." He heads over to where Jed and Tod are working. He then tell's themof Venger's plan (And trying to convince them to go along with it).

sdream
2012-04-05, 06:19 AM
Venger, just laying hands on his brother to rile up his shadow, would definitely stop him:
"Wait for our friends, Dren. I don' think I can raise you again.

Mordae
2012-04-05, 06:47 AM
By now, the group's business has started to gather some attention, with crewmen gathering from across the deck and others up aloft stopping their maintenance to peer down toward the quarterdeck. Jed nods with some satisfaction as Matt explains what is going on in quiet tones. Tod, on the other hand, is a bit less enthusiastic; he crosses his arms over his chest, and he and his brethren stay put. Silver Steve stands watch at the wheel, outwardly neither approving nor disapproving, but his weapons stay put.

The captain remains at the port rail, eyes fixed on his sextant. "Not now, Dren, I've almost got our position fixed." He lingers on the brass instrument, fingers twiddling the adjustments until he is satisfied. "There, now what seems to be..." his voice trails off as he notes the large crowd of grumpy looking sailors gathered on the after part of the deck, "... trouble?" He lowers the sextant to one side, his other hand coming to rest on the pommel of his sabre.

AgentKalim
2012-04-05, 12:18 PM
Espiridon stops backing up "inconspicuously" when he sees Dren make his way past him and towards the captain. "Aha! I knew you had it in you! No turning back now!" not to be outdone by the native, he catches his pistol one last time, spins around, and walks up with no further flair.

"Hello there, capitán, me and my friends here were just thinking... you're not a very good captain at all. In fact, you're pretty terrible." He says in a conversational, almost jolly tone of voice. "So, you can stay and let us do our work our way, or if you'd prefer, you can get off." he's not straight up pointing his gun at the captain or anyone else, instead scratching the back of his head with it, but he's prepared to point and shoot at any sign of trouble. It's been far too long since the last time he got to actually use it anyway.

sdream
2012-04-05, 12:59 PM
Looks like things be heating up, time to get me blood back.

Venger removes his bloody hand from his chest, throws his shoulders back and draws upon his shadow to attempt to restore the blood lost enhancing his twin.

Healing Aura, powered by MP this time, when successful there is a shadowy thump like a single heartbeat that is something between seen and heard as a large, brief, and faint distortion in my vicinity.

A second circle spell with a single enhancement
[roll0]
If the above is 9 or higher, I spend 3hp and heal:
[roll1]

Grinner
2012-04-05, 05:07 PM
Brother John hears Espiridion's boast and sighs.

"This will not end well."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-05, 05:28 PM
"Cap'n, the men be upset. What happened ta our share'a the booty? We've let a mess'a ships escape from us, an there's no end in sight. Me bruddah here has some ideas that the whole crew needs'ta hear."

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-05, 09:44 PM
"Captin, while Espiridon's comment has showed little tact, Dren is correct. We feel that their have been some injustices aboard the ship. We don't complain about the whipings, we don't complain about the weather. We do do however, find it reasonable to complain when we cannot catch a ship when if you would let us use the vodoo we could have, and when the one time we catch a ship, there is no mention of the loot. we'll endure the other facts of life at sea, but sir, you seriously didn't think that withholding our share of the silver would be good for morale and loyalty?"

Saryon
2012-04-06, 07:18 AM
Watching the exchange impassively, Illtyd flicks his gaze across the deck, watching for Vetters. If there was a single crewmember who might back Longshanks, it'd be him, if he didn't try to turn the situation to his own advantage somehow.

Mordae
2012-04-09, 02:41 PM
The captain laughs hautily, looking down at Dren from the relative safety of the slightly raised quarterdeck. "Really, Dren? You'd be the last I'd expect to try a mutiny. Unless you've been put up to it..." his eyes drift further up the deck to where Espiridion is advancing with gun drawn and Venger is finishing his bloody art. "Ah, yes. Your brother and the spaniard. Naturally."

At the sight of a weapon out, the whole crew on deck flashes their own armament. No one wants to be unprepared in the event of hostilities, after all; even Talla had a small pistol nestled somewhere in her ample bosom, and it's now aimed--at Venger. "Never send a mate to do a job you wouldn't do yourself, eh, V?" Her blue eyes flash fire.

Illtyd's vigil is rewarded as Aydt Vetters slinks around from behind a trio of barrels near the port rail, where he'd been watching the whole situation. "Captain," the rail-thin stub of a man comments as he tests the edge of his dagger on one thumb, "it seems to me we have a challenge to your leadership here." He casts a dark, appraising gaze at the quartet of sailors who've vocally identified themselves as in league. "You could order them keel-hauled or hanged, but I've got little doubt the whole affair would turn rather bloody as these four seem determined to defend themselves, and frankly we don't have the manpower to spare fighting ourselves." He clears his throat and concludes, "By the law of the sea, the man who wants your job should challenge you to a duel of blades." He turns back to the captain, an oily smile on his narrow, bloodless lips. "Alternatively, we can put to port, divide the spoils, and part company?"

The captain frowns at Vetters's words, obviously trying to determine whether his number three is trying to sell him out. Finally he pounds one fist on the quarterdeck rail and calls out with typical bravado, "Very well, mutineers. Name the man you want as captain and we'll see if he has the skills to back up this threat. If I lose, I'll put to shore at the first port." He takes off his long coat and lays it casually over the rail before unbuttoning the top two buttons of his ruffled shirt. Then he draws his long sabre and steps down onto the weather deck, while the assembled crew backs up to form a loose circle near the main mast.

AgentKalim
2012-04-09, 03:29 PM
Espiridon starts taking off his custom fit bandoleer, returning his pistol into it. "Don't you "spaniard" me, Longshanks. Calling you a son of a gun would be an insult to the oldest, rustiest cannon at the bottom of Davy Jones' locker. This ship IS still flying the proud colors of Spain. I'll be sure to remind you of that. With this." he draws his own blade, not unlike the captain's own sabre, and steps forward, unless anyone has the intention of stopping him.

sdream
2012-04-09, 03:32 PM
When we want for his courage to chase foe and trust our magics he is shy, and when we want for his patience to listen to reason he is rash. No matter how fascinating a man, Longshanks just has terrible timing. Only fools think justice is weighed by strength in arms, but at least they intend to avoid killing.

Venger stares at Talla, offended and hurt by her apparent low opinion of him. He ignores her gun and tries to calm her fury with reason.

"If me Dren dies, with half me soul in him, he most like pull me into the long night too. We come here not for blood or thievery, but for the opportunity we been promised to earn prizes. No mattah who win your game of swords, may I close their wounds after without a bullet in me back?"

If their is some social roll that might affect her perception of our goals, please make it for me.

If riling his shadow to catch a bullet using the power of his shadow is subtle enough that Venger thinks her unlikely to notice it, he will do so as he speaks, otherwise he will wait for the fight to be under way. Let me know which it is, I can't possibly miss a DL5 cast with 7 points added to my d6 either way.

Saryon
2012-04-09, 09:15 PM
His rifle now unslung from his back but not held ready, Illtyd warily watches Vetters. By his words, Vetters had left his allegiance open, but he doubted that things would be so simple. With so many of the crew watching it was doubtful that Vetters would try anything that would interfere with the duel, but that might not dissuade him once the duel was done.

He briefly flicks a glance towards Talla, who is pointing her pistol at Venger, but pays her little heed. He trusted both her judgement and her sense of honor far above that of Vetters, and hoped that Venger would be able to persuade her to stand down.

Still, he decided, a duel of blades would not be decided by his hand. But the aftermath, now then things might get interesting...

Mordae
2012-04-10, 01:29 PM
The captain steps into the clear patch at the center of the deck, raising his sword to the salute and assuming a fencing stance. "A pretty speech. I'll be generous and not have your tongue cut out for it." Once Espiridion is ready, Longshanks lunges to the attack.

Talla lowers her aim just slightly and rejoins Venger's query, "Just see that you don't intewfewe with the outcome, savvy? The suspicious ones in the cwew won't like that."

Longshanks has a Parry defense of 9 and a Dodge defense of 8. He has 11 HP.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
A few exploding dice to be applied just in case:
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

AgentKalim
2012-04-10, 02:28 PM
Espiridon sidesteps the lunge. "Cut out my tongue? You couldn't cut your way out of a burlap sack!"

Ok then, vital statistics and then my action:
Espiridon: Parry 9, Dodge 11, 9 HP

Action: Active dodge. Rollan, but not exploding dice because at this point it can't fail.
[roll0]

That's my turn. You go.

EDIT: Why isn't the roll showing? I'm pretty sure I input it correctly.

Mordae
2012-04-10, 02:35 PM
Longshanks resets his feet and glares at the fleet-footed spaniard. "I'll need that sack intact to wrap your stinking body before we send you to meet Davy Jones," he growls as he coils and strikes again.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

AgentKalim
2012-04-10, 02:47 PM
Espiridon grins "What? YOUR sack? I doubt it's intact, and even if, it won't be after I'm done with you." this assault was much worse than the initial strike, and gave him a chance to retaliate. True to his words, he aimed for a low blow.

Okay, here's how this is going to work. I'm going to roll a line of dice using the rollv command, and if the first one turns up to be 6, I'll take the next in line, so on and so forth.

Attack: 1d6+5 [roll0]
7. Not good enough.
Damage: 1d6 [roll1]

Mordae
2012-04-10, 03:13 PM
The ring of steel on steel echoes across the deck as Longshanks knocks Espiridion's blade aside and follows with a blistering riposte. "Your insults are only slightly less embarrassing than your swordplay!"

[roll0]
[roll1]

AgentKalim
2012-04-10, 03:25 PM
"That's because you're so far beneath me you're not even worth the GOOD insults." Espiridon leans to the right to avoid the hit and unleashes a strike at his opponent's side simultaneously.

Attack: 1d6+5: [roll0]
9. I got him on the defense now. :smallcool:

Damage: [roll1]

Mordae
2012-04-10, 03:30 PM
Espiridion's second attack is good enough to seize the momentum of the contest; Longshanks manages a hasty parry but cannot get his feet into position to offer a return stroke. "Ah, I see you intend to make this sporting. Good, I was afraid I would have to keelhaul you to get any pleasure out of this fight."

[roll0]

AgentKalim
2012-04-10, 03:40 PM
"And you think that would give you a chance of winning? Cute." Espiridon sees this as an opportunity and tries to knock Longshanks' blade out of the way and finish the thrust into his hip.

7. He's a worse swordsman, but has more muscle. What was I thinking, trying to push his blade aside? :P

Mordae
2012-04-10, 03:45 PM
Longshanks turns aside the next blow easily, and his hand flashes to his belt to draw a dagger into his off hand. "I believe 'cute' is how the girls describe your manhood, spaniard."

Action is drawing the dagger. No attack.

AgentKalim
2012-04-10, 03:56 PM
"Seriously? It's bigger than the fish-gutter you just pulled. Still not helping you." Espiridon straightens himself up, hoping to get a stab in before Longshanks manages to do anything.

10. Better than nothing. :smalltongue:

Mordae
2012-04-10, 04:02 PM
Longshanks hisses as the blade slices through his shirt and into his shoulder. "Hold still, it won't take but a moment to remedy that."

HP now 9.
[roll0]
[roll1] +6
[roll2]
[roll3] -2

AgentKalim
2012-04-10, 04:51 PM
Espiridon's eyes light up after he lands that successful hit. It's not to last. "A..." he promptly shuts up and jumps back to avoid the surprisingly ferocious assault, but doesn't land properly and has to take a moment to regain his balance.

Active dodge: 1d6+11 [roll0]
It's against an attack of 11 so it can't fail but wow, trained with daggers and can actually attack with both weapons at the same time?

Mordae
2012-04-11, 12:48 PM
Longshanks chuckles as he presses the attack, blades flashing in the hot Caribbean sun. "I see my cut has stilled your tongue. A modest improvement, if I may say so."

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] + 6
[roll3] - 2

AgentKalim
2012-04-11, 02:38 PM
"Just bleed out, Longshanks. The air in front of me is the only thing you're going to hit." Espiridon keeps dodging for now, hoping the wound he inflicted on his opponent would let him gain the upper hand... eventually.

I admit I'm running out of insults.

Active Dodge 1d6+9 [roll0]
13. Is it too much to ask for you roll less than 5 on a six-sided dice? :smalltongue:

sdream
2012-04-11, 02:55 PM
Well, well, it looks like Longshanks is not really a left handed swordsman, but more of a right handed knife fighter.

Gotcha, you are dodging rather than parrying (as a roguish gent), and your passive 11 dodge is enough to avoid the sword, while you actively dodged the dagger successfully.

Mordae
2012-04-11, 03:02 PM
The captain grins, and he pushes in further, hoping to force Espiridion into an awkward defense up against the mast. "'Tis but a scratch! he boasts as his sword and dagger combination comes flying forward for another attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] + 6
[roll3] - 2
Apparently so. Longshanks is good with that dagger--maybe his nom de plume is related to something other than the length of his legs? :smallbiggrin:

AgentKalim
2012-04-11, 03:11 PM
Espiridon is now purely on the defense, yet he still keeps taunting:
"And yet you STILL can't hit me. Perhaps I should cut myself on your fish-gutter to make it even?"

If you roll 1 on the damage dice for the dagger, will I still take 1 damage? If so, I am ok with this and now have 8 HP as I tank the hit with my hand.
Nevermind, I got the derps.

Active dodge: 1d6+9 [roll0]
13. Are we doomed to repeat the same numbers? :smalleek:

sdream: Disregard that, I suck... at calculating rolls.

sdream
2012-04-11, 03:19 PM
These Europeans are all crazy!

I think your static dodge was fine against the sword.

If your action is to try and grab the dagger (taking the hit), I have no idea what kind of roll that would be (but it's quite ballsy, as the guy with the handle usually wins).

Mordae
2012-04-11, 03:22 PM
Longshanks looks more than a little frustrated that the spanish brat manages to be just out of reach. His swings become a little more forceful, as he tries to eke out a bit more blade speed.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] + 6
[roll3] - 2
Yikes. That's a lethal dagger thrust unless you manage the active dodge... (though active dodge rolling a 1 plus a fate point would avoid it.)

AgentKalim
2012-04-11, 03:36 PM
Espiridon suddenly comes to a stop as he hits the mast with his back. In a split second, he dodges out of the way, and the thrust that should've pierced his gut cuts his shirt and stabs into the mast instead. "Easy, you really don't want to make that "scratch" bleed any more by making any more sudden movements." Seeing an opening, he takes a hasty swing at the extended arm, hoping to get another hit in before Longshanks pulls his blade out.

Is this some kind of joke? :smalltongue: Are you physically incapable of rolling lower than a 5 on the attack with the dagger? Just kidding, I know it's not your fault, but still. :smalleek: FINE, I will spend the fate point, just to be on the safe side. And since that attack would have killed me, I don't even have to roll anyways, as per the fate point rule about avoiding lethal hits.

Wait... am I reading this right? since avoiding a killing blow by spending fate is not an action, I can attack, can't I? If not, disregard this as an action. But I really think I can.

HUZZAH: 1d6+5 [roll0]
9. Hopefully he can't parry that and I got him good.
Damage: 1d6 [roll1]

Fate points: 4/5

Mordae
2012-04-11, 03:55 PM
Longshanks curses loudly as Espiridion avoids the clearly deadly dagger thrust. He tries to wrench the dagger free from the mast, but doing so distracts him from the obvious lunge coming from Espiridion. In desperation he tries to get his sabre up, but the spaniard's blade slides by and into the captain's gut. He stumbles and falls to the ground, his own sword clattering against the wooden deck. "Dieu! I yield!" he croaks.

[roll0]
You, sir, are a champion fate point spender!

AgentKalim
2012-04-11, 04:11 PM
"Good for you. If you kept going, I WOULD be kicking your bloody carcass overboard. I'd even give you a bullet as a parting gift." Espiridon then turns to the crew. "AMIGOS! The ship is now OURS! Since I don't want to be known as a captain who doesn't listen to his crew, this will be YOUR decision. WHAT do we do with Longshanks?"

YES! Now I'm glad the fight dragged on like it did. Pretty epic yet non-lethal finish there.

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-11, 04:15 PM
We didn't want it to be a fight in the first place..... "Well, as tradtion says, we sign new articles, to be mutaly agreed on. But first, some Awnsers from the old cap. Just what did we take from the last catch?"

sdream
2012-04-11, 04:51 PM
Venger asks Talla:

"I go heal Cap'n now, and try convince the others stealin from and killin our crewmates is no acceptable."

He walks toward the mast.

When I get there, I will be asking Esperidon to allow speakers for Longshanks and against, then a vote with bullets and cups, as I cast healing aura repeatedly with one enhancement (3hp, DC8, I can hit 8 very easily, this should heal my nearby targets, and leave me at 7hp (costs 3 each time, and heals previous 3+ damage).

Healing Aura with blood source, rather than shadow is an subconscious red distortion and a wetter thump than the solid sounding shadowy thud from before.

Saryon
2012-04-11, 09:32 PM
Illtyd nods to himself, unsurprised by the outcome. Longshanks had failed at every other martial endeavor while captain, after all.

Seeing Venger's intent to heal the combatants, he grasped his rifle with both hands, though he did not yet bring it to bear. If anyone was going to try something underhanded, now was the time they would strike.

Grinner
2012-04-12, 10:22 AM
Brother John emerges from his quarters, having successfully survived the storm.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-12, 02:20 PM
"That it, den?" Dren asks, looking to his brother. When he sees him making his way to the mast, he assumes a protective posture and sees to it that no one harms his brother.

sdream
2012-04-12, 02:29 PM
"Mebbe now we done fightin, we can be healin and talkin."

Venger waggles his head from side to side at his brother to indicate his uncertainty as he again digs sharp red nails go into his own chest...

2nd circle Healing Aura, one enhancement, 3hp DL8, my roll of 5m+2voodoo+1d6 cannot fail to meet 8.

Healing (Longshanks, Espir, Me): 2 + 6d6

(I'll heal my 1 leftover damage, but I'll take 3 new damage, as mentioned, leaves me at 7hp)
Dangit, missed my ending tag first time around... I'll roll OOC as this prolly won't work in an edit.

Mordae
2012-04-12, 03:24 PM
Talla holsters her pistol and strides across the deck to the mast. Tucking the toes of one foot under Longshanks's sabre, she flexes her knee and hefts it into the air, snagging it with one lithe-fingered hand around the hilt. She reverses the blade and offers it to Espiridion. "Cap'n, the ship be youws. As for Piewwe, he's good inna fight--mebbe we can keep him?"

Longshanks had been on the ground writhing in pain, but Venger's blood-magic stirs new pangs within his belly as innards, muscle, and skin are knit neatly back together with a pale, shiny scar under the bloody shirt the only reminder of the near-mortal wound. "Dieu!" he curses again as the stabbing sensation leaves him. He reaches down and pats at the scar site, marveling at the recovery.

Since the former captain was incapacitated, Matt has to repeat his question, to which Pierre readily responds. "A mere hundred pieces of silver," he admits sadly. "Vetters has it secured in the hold." Aydt nods, a sour look on his face.

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-12, 03:38 PM
"A hundred peices of silver?" He suddenly snorts, and then starts laughing. "No wonder you kept it hidden!" At this point he's almost rolling on the floor. "The one time he does manage to catch a ship, and all we get is a pair and half silver each!" He's laughing so hard he's crying..... He just finds the situation so... Abusrd. "And course, we know yer telling da truth, cuse the rat's scowling." He stops laughing. "Longshanks, your the shiftyest, shadest, and best gambler I know, but your even better as a jester." Right now, he's trying to deflect the fact that it's only 100S. He don't want Longshanks torn to bits.... or shot by Talla.... or most of the others.

sdream
2012-04-12, 03:47 PM
"Even if he could no find good prizes, we got too few skilled sailors to toss one off his own ship. After he sees us take prizes our way, he'll no want to part ways. Double shares for use of his ship should make up for callin another man capn' while he sail with us."

Saryon
2012-04-12, 09:47 PM
Seeing that the hostilities were finally over and neither Esperdion nor Longshanks were in danger of being attacked while weakened, Illtyd returns his rifle to its place behind his back.

Clearing his throat self-consciously, Illtyd speaks, raising his voice so the whole crew could hear him. "I concur with Venger. We need all the manpower we can get right now."

"Moreover," he continued, glancing at the rest of the crew for confirmation, "I don't think anyone really hates you personally, Longshanks. But let's face it, you're not very good at being a captain."

sdream
2012-04-16, 02:38 PM
Standing near the mast, healing the erstwhile combatants, Venger is thrown into a strange sense of stillness by Illtyds words. As if the entire world was frozen in the moment.

Poke poke
I think we are waiting for Esperidon to decide how to determine the crew's intent, but Dren and Brother John also have a chance to weigh in here, if they wish.

AgentKalim
2012-04-17, 01:26 PM
Espiridon rubs his chin. "Yes, you all make good points. Right, then! Someone get a cup, everyone who wants Longshanks to stay on the ship will put a bullet in it. If more than half people do that, he stays." he then turns to the former captain and helps him get up. "You better make yourself useful, and I know you can. Oh, and since it's already bloody..." Espiridon wipes the blade of his sabre on Longshanks' shirt while giving him a beaming smile. "Alright, now we good. Pray that the crew thinks more highly of you than I do. I STILL think we could do without you, but I won't hold a grudge... as long as you never, ever again just call me "spaniard". I'm kind of fond of my name, and you know what it is, so no excuses."

Sorry guys, I don't have an excuse, I just derped.

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-17, 02:43 PM
Matt is shaking his head slightly. "Espiridon, you won the fight, there is no reason to gloat and rub it in. He did fight well after all, and you should show courtesty to a good opponet. And I have a hat we could use." He pulls out a beaverfur cap, thats moth eaten and worn with age. "Picked this up a few years back in a game of riddles. And please, don't shoot the hat."

AgentKalim
2012-04-17, 02:59 PM
"Eeh." Espiridon looks at Matt and shrugs at his chastisement in a rather exaggerated gesture. Then he points at the hat. "That will do nicely. Just... carry it around the deck and have everyone who wants to drop a bullet in it. And NO, when I said, "put a bullet in it" I did NOT in fact mean shooting it." He chuckles. "Good joke, though." he finally sheaths his sword and walks over to the point where he dropped his guns, then he slides his foot under the leather strap and kicks it up into his hand. Or tries to the best of his ability. The construction is so weighty and off-balance, just lying in a clump on the deck, it barely lifts off the ground, so he just raises his leg as far as it goes, leans forward, grabs it, puts it over his head, and fastens it.

Mordae
2012-04-18, 11:16 AM
Matt dutifully circles the deck and collects bullets from the crew. The final tally comes in at thirty votes to keep Longshanks among the Cutthroat's number, and four votes to put him off at the next port. Pierre offers a faint smile but says nothing while the remainder of the crew salutes Espiridion with a triple-huzzah.

Vetters approaches the new captain and offers a tally of the hold. "Aside from the silver, captain, we have sixty tons of tobacco and forty tons of sugar cane. We haven't made enough of a dent in French shipping that they'll shoot at us if we try to make port in Leogane and offload some of the goods. It's only two days' sailing to the east. We can offer the four dissenters the opportunity to jump ship, and maybe hire on a few more rowdy lads. Then it's up to you whether we make the frogs pay for their hospitality or turn our attentions to Port Royal or the Dutch Antilles." He coughs awkwardly. "We might also want to see if we can capture a better ship than this sloop--it's a bit of a light-weight for real privateering."

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-18, 11:57 AM
"Captin, when we finish repairs, would you like me to help speed us on our way?" The markings on his face shift to yellow, and he's grining slightly. The wind in his hairs also picking up a bit, as if exicted.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-18, 02:05 PM
Dren nods, as if this whole business was behind him now. He busies himself around the ship doing various tasks, as though nothing has happened.

AgentKalim
2012-04-18, 02:18 PM
"Right." Espiridon nods. "In that case, I say we sail for Leogane - see if we can get a good price on some of that tobacco and sugar cane. What then, we'll see when we get there. Maybe they'll have some nice ships in the port." he then goes back to Matt. "Feel free to do what you do best for the ship." he grins. "And don't tell me what to do after I win a duel. To the victor go the bragging rights." he thinks for a while, and then adds "And let everyone know that just because I'm the captain now doesn't mean I don't do anything. If anyone wants their gun checked, they can come ask and I'll be done with it in ten seconds flat. No, seriously, you can count it."

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-18, 04:55 PM
Matt makes his way so he has a clear view of the sails. With every stride, the wind gathers in force. Then, turning towards the sail, he summons the very winds themselves.

[roll0] +6(Mage) +2 (Vodoo)= 11. Was cast with 2 enhancements, for a total of 4 mana. Staff has 6 mana left.

Saryon
2012-04-18, 07:47 PM
The excitement finally over, Illtyd returns to repairing the ship. Though he keeps a wary eye on the mast and rigging, making certain the unnatural wind doesn't put undue strain on the ship.

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-18, 08:03 PM
"Illtyd, don't worry about the sail. I won't summon a wind strong enough to damage them." Matt then sits down and continues to focus. Venger, he thinks his vodoo is hard? He don't have to bind forces of nature to his will by sheer force of will. After four hours, Matts starting to feel a headache coming on.
(OOC; Mostly, if you were binding a elemental wind to speed up your ship, and were doing it for a few hours non stop, getting a headache seems kinda obvious.)

Saryon
2012-04-18, 08:33 PM
Illtyd nods amicably. "I understand. Although I suppose I'm less worried about the strength of your wind than I am about the effectiveness of our repairs after that storm we just went through. I plan on giving this ship a thorough check once we reach port." He smirks. "A ship, after all, is like a woman. Treat her well and she'll carry you safely through anything, but treat her poorly and she'll dump you in the sea without a moment's hesitation."

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-18, 08:36 PM
Matt nods, "I understand. Just let me know the second it looks like the mast or sails looks like it's streching the repairs too far."

sdream
2012-04-18, 10:11 PM
Venger tells Pierre:

"Come by me galley and see me soon."

Then with a farewell clap on his brother's shoulder and a nod to his friends among the crew he heads off to his herb festooned lair to recover from his exertions.

I'm off to heal up and meditate back my MP.
Mordae, let me know if ritual magic is in, and if I already had folks to help me "cook" (although I think Venger would do real cooking also, to supplement his creations and experiment with herbs and spices), or if I should try to negotiate some now to reduce my time prepping meals without stores.

Mordae
2012-04-19, 03:10 PM
The sails billow out as the anchor is weighed, and the crew of the Cutthroat give up a lusty cheer as the ship gets underway under new management. The sloop makes good time, aided by a following wind and Matt's mystical horses, knifing through the turquoise seas en route to Leogane.

The pleasant weather holds and the crew settles into an even routine that is disrupted only by the sight of land. The Cutthroat's hands are itching for a bit of shore pleasure, and the vessel is no more than moored at the pier before the first of the lads and lasses go hopping ashore to find entertainment.

Vetters gives Espiridion and his fellow hardy souls a nod of satisfaction and asks, "You want me to take some lads and empty the hold of stores in favor of hard silver, captain? How many weeks of stores shall we take on? I'd recommend more cannons but we cannot afford 'em for now."

Shore activities:
- Tavern (gather information, hire more hands)
- Market (buy and sell tobacco, sugar, food, and cannons)
- Governor's mansion (garner favors, special missions, hobnob with the upper crust)
- Put to sea

Day 1:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Day 2:
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

AgentKalim
2012-04-19, 03:57 PM
" Empty the holds. We'll be getting more goods soon enough, I'm sure of that." Espiridon smirks. "Talk to Venger about food. He'll be supplementing the rations with his magic - if anyone doesn't like that, they can buy their own meals. He'll know how much he can conjure up. Also, let everyone who liked the old captain better get off the ship. I'll be going to the tavern now, see if I can find some lads willing to join up. We'll see then." he then approaches the members of the crew he has the closest relations with ((The other PCs)): "Friends, this ship is as much yours as it is mine. I'm going to town now, anyone wants to join me?"

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-19, 04:06 PM
"There's a old friend of mine I'll look up at the Krackens Eye, hope he's not dead yet though. Think Dren, Tim and Jack would like 'im." He nows sighs. "Of course, last time I seen him, the curch as trying to burn him at a stake."

AgentKalim
2012-04-19, 04:08 PM
Espiridon's smile fades away at the mention of burning at a stake. "What did your friend... what did they ACCUSE your friend of?"

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-19, 04:14 PM
"They accused him of being born. He comes from a... unusal family."

AgentKalim
2012-04-19, 04:20 PM
Espiridon looks around nervously, and then leans in towards Matt and whispers: "I won't judge. They accused my father of making firearms using "witchcraft"." he then clears his throat and stops invading Matt's personal space. "So maybe we can go look for your friend now?"

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-19, 04:25 PM
"I was hoping to head to by myself, if only cuse they know me there." He shrugs. "You can come, but, keep a open mind. It's not they're much diffrent, but, they're mostly outcasts since the curch moved in. They're not to blame for their parents, but some people don't see it that way." He looks sad, and started heading towards a old, shabby warehouse near the docks.

AgentKalim
2012-04-19, 04:34 PM
"Don't worry about me, I'll just... walk right behind you." Espiridon was now completely unlike his usual energetic self, quiet and unassuming, shuffling behind Matt.

sdream
2012-04-19, 04:41 PM
Venger, on deck between meals, is eager to check the countryside for some more herbs (there are some parts of the rafters of his galley that have apparently become to bare of dried greenery for his taste).

Now that the captain approves of voodoo, he's eager to try out recipes that rely less upon dried meats, meal, and salted pork, although he's been pressing for assistants to aid him in conjuring up the food.

"Intrestin. We could use the hands. Who be watchin the ship?"

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-19, 06:24 PM
Matt walks up the door, and knocks. "The Krackens eye is seen in the midnights spray."

The door opens, and person who opened it, looks Human at first glance. Normal, if you consider nearly seven feet of musle and scars normal. No diffrent then any other old tough really. But, out of the corner of your eye, there's almost a reptile look to him, a patient predator.

"Well, look what the tide blew in! Come on in Driftwood, and whoes your freind?""Well Logger, this is Trickshot. I can vouch for him."

Logger looks at Espiridon, almost the way one would a side of meat, sizing him up, "Logger" finaly says, "Well, as long as he don't bring any trouble. And Trickshot, if you cause any trouble, my kin over there will pick your bones." As says this, he nods towards some large reptiles under the docks, and one looks right at you and smiles.

Matt just nods and heads inside.

Saryon
2012-04-19, 06:38 PM
Busily inspecting the ship now that they've docked, Illtyd waves the others off. "I'll be at this for quite a while. I can go to shore once I'm done."

AgentKalim
2012-04-19, 06:44 PM
Espiridon spreads his arms out and raises his hands in a non-threatening gesture. "Relax, I'm not here looking for trouble. I'll... just head in with my friend Matt, okay? Friend." he was quite shocked by the latest development, but trying to keep a straight face. Whatever he was expecting, this was not it. He hurries in after Matt.

"I said I'm not going to judge, but... who are these people? Does that mean what I think it does? How does that even work?" he whispers as quietly as he possibly can directly into Matt's ear.

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-19, 06:57 PM
"Don't worry. Logger there likes you. And you heard of werewolves? He's a werecrocodile. As for the three under the dock, I'm guessing those are his folks." Now he's smiling. "And the one that smiled at ya? That was probobly his sister. She's a filtry one." Heading down stairs, he stops before another door and turns to face Espiridon. "Now, in here, call me Driftwood, and you awnser to Trickshot. This is because there are sometimes fey in here, and you don't want them having free use of your name. As for what this is, welcome to a Arcanum safehouse. Vodoo practioners, witches, magical creatures of all stripes come here to relax. Don't worry, most don't bite. And, what ever you do, don't make little Sarah mad. And, if she asks for a snack from you, politly decline. Venger isn't here to help with any blood loss. And if you want to leave, you can. I know it can be a bit much to take in."

sdream
2012-04-19, 09:41 PM
The aformentioned Venger meanwhile is showing a couple folks from the ship interesting and useful local herbs.

He wonders how sale of their cargo and recruitment are going, as his small group returns with a large sack of greenery for drying and preparation.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-20, 06:41 AM
Dren feels uneasy as his brother leaves the ship, and decides to stay aboard rather than risk the town alone.

"Need help here, mon," he asks Illtyd in a booming bass. His muscles are ready for work, and he has extensive knowledge of how to sail -- presumably an ideal aide for a shipwright.

Mordae
2012-04-20, 08:37 AM
Matt and Espiridion explore the darker underbelly of the Leogane colony, which is composed of primarily French folk with a substantial presence of dark-skinned natives of Hispaniola. Meanwhile, Venger oversees the gathering of herbs and the provisioning of the galley for his future plans. Illtyd and Dren scour the ship from top to bottom, making sure all the parts and pieces are ship-shape for the next voyage, slathering tar on the hull and mending ropes and sheets that appear frayed.

Vetters takes the Jeffson brothers and a couple of other lads and offloads all the sugar cane and tobacco. A few hours later, the group returns with chests full of gleaming silver, which are locked away in the hold.

Cutthroat's status:
Cannons - 10
Sails - good (60HP)
Hull - good (80HP)

Silver - 620sp
Food - 1week
Tobacco - 0
Sugar cane - 0

[roll0]
[roll1]

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-20, 11:08 AM
Taking Espiridon's silence for agreement, Matt opens the bar door. A small dog, with three heads, bounces up to him, barking at Espiridon. "It's fine Cerberus, he's with me." At that, the little creature has one of it's heads look quizikly at Matt, another is focused on Espiridon.

"Cerberus, If he's with Driftwood, he's no harm. So stop buggin the spanish." This is coming from a man which there is only one word for. Massive. Easyily half agian as tall as Logger, this giant brithish man is standing behind the bar, which at the moment has almost no customers.

And, as Espiridon looks around, it's a small, earthy place, with a large pool where several people seem to be siting and drinking... With a giant squid.

Over in another corner, theres a table where two old men are aruging queitly, and what seems like a little girl listening and sometimes saying something, not that they're paying any attention. And watching that is a Moor, who has a crystal ball, and a pipe, and seems amused by their argument.

"Big Ben, long time no see! Me and Trickshot here, well, we're sailing on the same boat. I came down here to look for Stormcod, and to be honest, how's the town still standing? His mother was mad as a hurricane last time I seen her."

"Driftwood, why is it that you and those reckless, sodden mer-kin get along so well, I'll never know. Any case, we managed to talk his ma out of flatening the town, course, him being so hard to burn and all didn't hurt any. Fact, he should be over in the pool talking to Deep."

AgentKalim
2012-04-20, 11:41 AM
Espiridon continues to be led sheepishly into the strange establishment, having just enough presence of mind not to show outright disgust at some of the patrons, like the squid... thing. He wears a face of mild shock and tries to appear as unobtrusive as possible. "Um... hey there?" he greets, trying not to seem too alien in the alien land.

Just... keep the scene going. Unless someone starts interacting directly with me, what's a clueless yuropan like me supposed to do in a hive like that? I don't wanna die. :smalltongue: Espiridon has 2 points in mage, he's not THAT retarded.

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-20, 11:58 AM
"Trickshot, why don't you go talk to Allakzam over there? He's from apian himself, and would probobly enjoy talking to a man from eroupe after all this time he's had to spend in exile over here. Just act your normal charming self. Sarah there's the only one likely to bite."

Matt then strides over to the pool and waits politly by the edge.

"Say Deep, permission to enter the pool?"

Deep, the Selkie Giant squid... on land he's human, in the water? Giant squid:smallbiggrin: He can still talk though.... bound to creep Espiridon out:smallbiggrin:

"Driftwood, you rotten excuse for a wavespeaker, you may of course enter my pool. It's been a while."

"Thanks deep, and Stormcod, good to see you didn't burn. Told yer ma like you said, and seems she might have givin you a talkin to."

AgentKalim
2012-04-20, 12:16 PM
"Thanks, amigo. I'll try. I will desperately try." Espiridon, seeing how nobody seems to be TOO hostile, and with his friend's encouragement, walks over to the table and introduces himself: "Greetings, I'm, ah... oh yes, Trickshot, I'm a friend of Driftwood's, and I just thought that while I'm here, I might as well introduce myself to some people." he's still a little unsure, but talking to this man sure seems like a better idea than some of the other patrons, so he does his best to be his usual energetic self. Still a bit tense, though.

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-20, 12:26 PM
"Ah, a freind of Driftwoods? and one who's not entirely firmiliar with the supernatural I'd guess? But anycase young spanish rouge, how fairs spain? It's been some time since my exile, and I long for news of my homeland."
He then offers Espiridon another pipe, and motions for him to sit.

The little girl spots you, and witha smile, head over.

"Ah, big spaniard, please tell us a story, those two magi are boring. All they argue about is the star of this and the multipule renoscene of the Messiah princible." She's giving you the puppy dog eyes.

AgentKalim
2012-04-20, 01:06 PM
"Ah, a story, señorita? Perhaps I could entertain you by juggling... while I tell your friend something about the recent developments in Spain?" Espiridon, trying to find a compromise between the two people now vying for his attention, pulled out his pistols and started tossing them into the air, spinning, with almost no concentration on his part, while speaking at the same time: "Well, friend, how long have you been gone? Have you heard of the revolution in Portugal that started ten years ago? No? Then let me tell you..."

As he was speaking and continuously juggling at the same time, the constant exertion caused him to start sweating, and the sweat washed the strand of hair from his face, revealing the long gunshot scar on the left side of his face, and his partially blown-off ear.

Foof, okay. Because of the map in the first post of the OOC thread, I'm going to assume it's exactly the year 1650. Is that a fair assertion? Also, do ask him about the ear. That's gonna be fun story. :smallbiggrin:

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-20, 03:07 PM
Over at the land tables
"Say mister Trickshot, how'd you get the scar? And can I kiss it better?"
As she says this, her eyes start to become slightly more red, and her teeth, you'd swear they started growing....

"Now,now little sarah. He's freind of Driftwoods. But, I must agree with little sarah one one thing. How did you come by your scar?To be honest, poltics remains the same, even seeing the hundred or so years after leaving them behind. Besides, a tale of bravery and meaning, is always better then another bunch of tales of bored nobles."

Over at the water tables

"Well Driftwood, it was a narrow un on me part. She was mad, in both ways o the word. Course, me gettin caught was a stick in her craw, since she said she taught me better. Course, had to pull a Lazurus, and even now it might be better if I skiped port for a bit. You know anything?"
"Well, the captian for the ship I'm on is over there, Talking to Alakzam and sarah. We're always looking for new recruits. And course, you and your bully boys would prove useful, since it's pirating we're doin."

Saryon
2012-04-20, 07:31 PM
Finally finished with the repairs, Illtyd claps Dren on the shoulder and gives him a grateful nod. "Thanks for the assistance, Dren. That would have taken me much longer by myself."

His eyes glaze slightly as he considers what to do next. Glancing at the sun, he figures he still has time to hit a local tavern, possibly picking up information about trade routes they could raid.

-And maybe find someone who could tell me about these scars,- he thought to himself, nervously scratching at his covered shoulder. He wasn't too hopeful, however. The last time he'd found a voodoo witch doctor, all he'd been able to tell him was that the scarring had a discernable pattern, but what that pattern meant he hadn't known.

Shaking his head quickly, he banished the thoughts. There was a time and place to worry about the past and future, but he had things to do in the here and now. "I'm going to find a tavern, see if I can dig up some info on possible marks to hit." He flashes a quick grin as he starts to head into town. "If I'm not back before midnight don't worry, I'm probably just sharing some girl's bed."

Note: Probably obvious, but I'm not looking for the kind of tavern Matt and Esperdion are in. Not for the trade routes, anyway...

Mordae
2012-04-23, 07:18 AM
Illtyd finds himself in a rather lively little dive down by the docks, in the shadow of the mighty cannon emplacements that help guard the harbor. Over a drink, one of the many passing sailors offers this in the way of guidance: "If you be looking to hit Englishmen, the big boys play around Port Royal. But there's plenty of fish around the Bahamas, if you know what I mean."

[roll0]

Saryon
2012-04-23, 09:55 PM
Feeling that there was nothing more to learn about possible marks, Illtyd sits himself at the bar and nurses along a few drinks. When the bartender was returning with his fourth ale, he quietly asked, "I'm looking for someone highly knowledgeable in the ways of voodoo. Not necessarily a teacher, though one will suffice if I must. Do you know of anyone who fits this description?"

Mordae
2012-04-24, 07:10 AM
The bartender, a dark-skinned native looks Illtyd square in the eye, then gives a long, slow look around the bar. His dark eyes are pools of mystery as he pauses, then leans in close. "Mon, you want someone you kon trust? Mama Juju. Look her up in Panama, mon."

Saryon
2012-04-24, 09:07 PM
Illtyd nods. "Thanks." Flipping the bartender a silver coin with the flick of his thumb, he finishes his ale and wanders back to the Cutthroat.

sdream
2012-04-30, 05:15 PM
When Matt returns after dusk with Esperidion the poor freshly minted captain hanging loosely from the shoulders of a few oddly shaped characters, there are some sharp words exchanged in their native patter.

After Talla and Brother John bear Esperidion below, Venger reviews the recruits waiting in consultation with Matt, sending all but a few on to training with Dren and Steve, as the boat sets sail into the deepening night, like a mugger out to find a drunken mark.

PS:

Matt if you want a special recruit, make one with only 2 enhancements (and a racial upside and downside) and get Mordae's approval.

Mordae, can Illtyd convert some of our guns to point more forwards as Bow Chasers, for warning shots and to fire as we pursue?

\ /
\ /
_ _
_ _
_ _

Like so?

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-30, 05:23 PM
"Sorry bout Espiridon Venger,. Took my eyes off of him for a second, and Little Sarah was drinking from him. And relating to that, how much garlic and holy water we have? And I swear, I had no idea that this was going to happen."

PS
Jembi, Merman. Trained in Vodoo, Firearms and Lore. Warrior 4, Rouge 4, Mage 3. Has the merman racials, plus outcast. Can cast a spell that makes him highly resitent to fire (His skin always feels damp, no effect on the racial). Has a Dragon Spear gun (Dragon rifle, but instead of a bullet, a aquadinamtc spear).

sdream
2012-04-30, 06:17 PM
"Is no problem. A leedle blood magic is good for everyone. I gave Talla something much more potent than garlic to keep the hunger from consuming him, and her spirits are just as good as the white kings water."

"Tell me more about Jembi, and how sure you are that he will be circumspect about his people's legendary greed for gold and shall we say, fresh oceangoing longpork..."

Sounds fine to me, if Mordae approves, he'll have to behave amongst the crew, otherwise, he was amongst those few who disembarked.

Saryon
2012-04-30, 08:27 PM
Illtyd, having returned to the Cutthroat to find the new captain out of commission, seeks Venger out at his earliest opportunity after setting sail. "I did a little fishing, and I heard that the Bahamas might be a good place to start looking for ships to raid. Port Royal was also mentioned but, frankly, that's probably out of our league at the moment." He shrugs. "But ultimately that's your call, Acting Captain."

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-30, 08:33 PM
"One, that Merfolk go for greed is a sterotype. Thats just the ones round greece. Sides, the Mer over here have lot in common with the Irish. Just do not EVER challange one to a drinking contest. But, Jembi, his ma is the mermaid of whisper cove, also called the Mistress of the Hurricane. Jembi's a half blood, but he's a good sort. Last time I checked, he only wanted a few simple things in life. Booze, Food and a special type of handcannon. But's he's a old drinking buddy of mine, and he'd be a big help. He never goes back on his word, and hes a honest soul."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-30, 08:43 PM
Dren looks over the recruits that are sent to him, making sure they can hold a weapon, tie a knot, and keep their legs beneath themselves.

if there is a roll for this, I assume it is sailing?
[roll0]
[roll1] (explode)
If it is night time, Dren will send everyone to bed, if it is daytime, he will begin to train those that need it.

sdream
2012-04-30, 09:19 PM
"Bahamas sounds fine to me. There be plenty o fish in every sea I hear."

Making sure there is a skeleton crew with a few reliable men and a watch, Venger takes himself off to bed to get an early start on the morning... unless they stumble across prey in the night.

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-30, 09:32 PM
Matt goes to his little niche, sleeping, and waiting for his yurn at night watch.

Mordae
2012-05-01, 02:29 PM
Cutthroat weighs anchor, twelve sailors to the good (including a merman), and sets sail on the four-day journey to Nassau. The additional horsepower behind the sails helps keep the pace along the turquoise waters between Cuba and Hispaniola.

On the midnight watch of the second day, there is a cry from the crow's nest, where the youngest Jeffson is stationed. "Ship ahoy, two points to port! Looks to be a barque, slow moving to the east!"

His eldest brother is minding the quarterdeck when Espiridion and Venger are roused, and gives them a quick report of the situation. "Usually a french ship, cap'n. Shall we engage?"

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

sdream
2012-05-01, 04:39 PM
"Poor Esper looks too shaky to handle this. Go back to sleep friend, I'll rouse you with everyone else if the prey pans out as truly tempting."

Venger gives the order to close with all speed.

Then he rouses Dren and lets him know a boarding party may be called for soon, he may want to start waking some men.

Next he goes to wake Matt.

"There's a possible mark spotted ahead, probably not too far off given the moonlight our watch is working with. Can you speak with the wind and waves for us and find what cannons she bears? Perhaps your finned friend could help scout as well, but the swim looks too tiring yet."

Then he goes to the rail to watch the ship close himself, speaking with the sailors and trying to make a decision with about 15 minutes to contact on whether or not to wake the whole crew.

Grimsage Matt
2012-05-01, 04:50 PM
Here goes the spell
Minor Divination; I ask the winds "How many cannons does that there ship have?" DL5, mana cost 1. Three enhancements, DL increased to 8 and mana to 4. My bonus to the rolls is 8, so this is a sure one for me. Would have 8 Mana left, and the mana in me staff.

His face markings going yellow, Matt opens his soul to the voices of the loa of the winds, and attemts to ask them about the other ship.

Mordae
2012-05-02, 06:58 AM
A voice comes drifting back on the salty breeze. "Sixteen peals of distant thunder, four blasts of the cold north wind..."

sdream
2012-05-02, 08:19 AM
Venger raises an eyebrow at the words of Matt's invisible friend.

"Wierd, try to figure out if maybe it is transporting the 16 rather than actually having them mounted. Otherwise, seems like that ship is out of our class."

He ponders for a second...

"Unless we could keep them from turning those guns on us... let me go see if Iltyd and Jembi think their special project is ready for a test."

He heads off to wake the quiet shipwright and the merman.

Special project - the rudder ripper:

The helper: A crowbar on a rope.

The pull: A floated iron hook, with 2 long ropes going to a sea anchor cobbled together from a several yards of scrap sail between a couple wooden spars.

He swims over with this wrapped around the spars, sets the hook firmly on the rudder or it's hinge, and lets the sail expand into the water.

When it is firmly expanded and tugging against the boats motion, he sets to work with the crowbar helping the rudder break free.

Grimsage Matt
2012-05-02, 10:55 AM
I'll ask another question (Cast agian)
DL8, Mana 4; "How many of the cannons are awake, and how many sleep in the hold?" [How many can be used in a fight right now, and how many are just cargo?]
+8 to vodoo rolls:smalltongue: 4 Mana and what I have in my staff left
I keep open my connection to the winds, and send another question out to them.

Mordae
2012-05-02, 11:27 AM
"Deep as the heart of the ocean, the masters of wave sleep, their trumpets of fire awaiting the call of the dawn..."

sdream
2012-05-02, 11:58 AM
After your initial question you are supposed to get a couple yes no followups to clarify the answer, says Library.

Do the 16 sleep in the hold seems like the followup that would get you the answer proveded next, so no extra mp need be expended.

Grimsage Matt
2012-05-02, 08:42 PM
ya, but the follow up was a second question, not a yes or no. So, and becuase it's minior divination, there should be more restrictions placed on it. That, plus I'm getting my awnsers from wind loa. "Changeable as the winds."

sdream
2012-05-02, 09:01 PM
It's your mp. If you want to pay 8x a normal minor divination cost that's your call. I'm glad to get the info at any cost, really don't want to try and mug a warship right now.

Feel free to rouse the rest of the crew and come let me know the raid is ON.

Saryon
2012-05-02, 10:25 PM
Illtyd listens intently to Venger as he explains the situation, then ponders for a few moments. "I haven't had time to work out any kinks," he says finally, "but the basic setup is ready." Shrugging, he adds, "If nothing else having a big Merman prying on the rudder with a crowbar should hamper their ability to steer effectively."

sdream
2012-05-07, 11:45 AM
"Help Jembi get it ready, but it is an act of last resort, we would prefer our prey to sail rapidly to port and pick up more cargo for us."

Venger returns to check on Matt, and finding that most of their cannons are in storage, calls a general call to arms and makes sure our cannoneers are prepping the guns, just in case.

Mordae
2012-05-08, 12:52 PM
The drums echo across the deck and through the hold as the boatswain calls the crew up from their hammocks. Despite the dark hour, there is eager fire in almost every face as the cannons are prepared, cutlasses and pistols braced, and the sails trimmed for battle.

As soon as Venger gives the order, Jed Jeffson throws the rudder over hard, and the invisible horses above whinny with excitement as the sails billow out and cause the Cutthroat's prow to dip sharply through the next wave.

The gap between the two vessels swiftly narrows. Soon, the other ship begins to turn toward the Cutthroat--apparently, the rapid approach has been spotted. "Cap'n, she's flying a jolly roger!" Jack Jeffson calls from aloft.

From the rail, Venger can see that Cutthroat holds the weather gauge, and that the other ship is trying to tack across Cutthroat's bow to arrange a starboard pass. Cutthroat can turn to starboard and fire across the enemy's bow (possibly allowing her to escape if not enough damage is done), turn to port and accept the pirate's invitation for a broadside exchange, or aim dead at the other ship and try for a boarding.

sdream
2012-05-08, 01:20 PM
Venger orders a boarding heading, but also orders Flags of Parlay to be flown and lighted.

"Another predator at sea is an opportunity to pick up a great deal of crew at once, if they are keen on joining a faster ship. If they refuse trade and free choice for their crew, or act out, we can take them as any other prey. Continue your preparations for combat."

Venger's ideal circumstance would be to get all the pirates together on the fastest ship with the most guns, and sell the slower one, but he's willing to sink so low as to destroy an unfriendly pirate rather than compete with her, if he finds the crew loathsome.

Saryon
2012-05-08, 08:06 PM
Standing near the starboard rail, Illtyd performs a final check on his rifle, reassuring himself that it is both functional and loaded. He receives the acting captain's parlay order with indifference. While he would always support diplomacy, no matter the circumstances, he had been itching for a fight.

Still, he reminds himself, they needed more crew members. If the ship out there was amenable, he would be glad. And if not, well...it would just fall to a different sort of diplomacy.

Readying his rifle, he watches the distant ship, awaiting their reaction.

Grimsage Matt
2012-05-08, 08:07 PM
Matt waits, ready to either talk, or unleash brine. Whichever happened.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-08, 09:24 PM
Dren comes above deck with a handful of men behind him, picked for their skill in combat. He has his large cutlass ready and an unpleasant look on his harsh face.

Mordae
2012-05-09, 12:36 PM
As Cutthroat aims for boarding, the other ship fires a single cannon blast from a forward gun. The pirate is calling for Cutthroat to surrender!

Talla, who has come up on deck following Dren's band, laughs heartily. "They must take us for a spanish merchantman. I think we ought to hide ourselves under canvas and let them be lulled to sleep by meekness. Then," she pauses and draws one finger across her neck. "We send 'em to Davy Jones and take their ship."

sdream
2012-05-09, 01:45 PM
Venger looks to Matt, Iltyd and Dren...

"I be no interested in lyin in ambush of those we intend to ask to join us, but if any o' you seconds Talla's plan, give the orders."

"Dren, lemme see your sword, regardless."

Venger clasps Dren's shoulder, riling his twin's shadow to protect him from a single bullet, and holding out his hand to enhance his brother's cutlass.

If anybody else wants to come forward as still playing, obviously you can do so also.

In the meantime, Venger puts minor deflection (auto-success) on Dren at the cost of 1hp and prepares to do a big boost to his big cutlass.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-09, 03:29 PM
Dren nods at his twin's suggestion, though there is a gleam in his eye. Venger and the others might know that the large man feels alive when in battle -- he is likely secretly hoping for some blood to be shed this evening. A look at just who he has brought with him could confirm this, as the men of his boarding party all look hungry for battle.

Still, Venger should have no doubt that his brother will accept whatever plan he proposes.

Grimsage Matt
2012-05-09, 03:32 PM
"I stand ready for what ever comes, be it parley, or be it combat." The Face marks shift to sea blue.

Saryon
2012-05-09, 07:05 PM
Illtyd glances at Venger and shrugs. "An ambush is neither honorable nor dishonorable, despite what the poets and bards may claim. It is simply an effective military tactic that can drastically even the odds when outnumbered, or reduce the casualties on the ambushing side. If we ambush them and they are defeated, clearly their leadership was lacking, for an effective leader would still be wary, regardless of outward appearances. So your plans to recruit them once defeated may still be viable."

"Still," he continues, peering intently at the other ship, "my opinion on this would depend on how many we might face." Still watching the ship in an attempt to ascertain the number of crew it had, he calls out to the youngest Jeffson up in the crow's nest. "Can you make out how many we face, Jack?"

Mordae
2012-05-16, 02:58 PM
Jeffson peers at the grey shape looming larger on the dark horizon and shakes his head. "Naw, it be too dark for that. But they cannot see us either, so we got that going for us. And it be a barque--they can run with a slim crew."

Talla finishes loading her pistols and looks over to Venger. "We no have ze men to fire and to shoot ze cannons. But if we take zat bark, we can run ze sails with just a dozen men--ze rest can fire and be ready to board. My guess zey have less men zan we--at most maybe ze same. I say we fight."

sdream
2012-05-16, 03:08 PM
"Let us take advantage of their misunderstanding then. All hands HIDDEN on deck."

Venger orders the flags changed to surrender, and asks Dren to move his men to a hidden location convenient for ambushing.

He then takes the time to enhance Dren's cutlass, shield himself from a bullet, and hides out of the way, ready to help heal the wounded (and his blood magic wounds).

4 hp for Dren's sword (only takes one or two turns to succeed)
1 more hp for my own bullet ward
I'm down to 4 hp, so I'm hiding in the back and waiting for some of the crew to take sword or bullet strikes to do a Healing aura cast using mana (and include myself).

Saryon
2012-05-16, 05:53 PM
Illtyd finds himself a hidden vantage point from which he can snipe effectively and waits for the moment to strike.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-17, 12:50 PM
Dren uses his modest skills as a sneak to hide himself and his men.

Hide roll, if necessary
[roll0]
He keeps his sword drawn

Mordae
2012-05-22, 03:55 PM
The crew of the Cutthroat carefully sequester themselves behind barrels, longboats, rails, masts, sails, or anything else that might hide their presence from the men on the other ship. Meanwhile, Matt's dutiful horses keep pushing Cutthroat toward the pirate vessel, closing the distance until the others are visible from her quarterdeck.

"Avast! Lower yer sails, haul yer cargo up on deck, and we'll spare yer miserable lives!" calls out a French-sounding voice speaking in slightly mangled Spanish. The voice comes from one of perhaps a dozen men gathered along the pirate's starboard rail, ready to board.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-22, 08:05 PM
Dren continues to hide, awaiting orders and ready to charge forward at a moment's notice.

sdream
2012-05-23, 08:28 AM
"We don't want any bloodshed! We definitely agree that surrender is the best option! We'll lower these sails, come on board!"

Venger calls out loudly, as he climbs the mast (staying mostly behind it). He signals to a couple other sailers to help match speed for boarding. From this lofty, somewhat sheltered vantage point he'll be able to keep an eye on the battle and heal those who need it.

If he has not put on a bulletward, he does so before coming out, I'll check back later and let you know my final tiny HP pool.

When the pirates hook up their ship to ours and begin coming aboard, or if something goes wrong, he's going to yell "Surrender to the crew of the wicked wench!" and cast light in the blinding flash variety (from mana) behind our lines (so the other crew is facing that direction, not ours).

Grimsage Matt
2012-05-23, 08:31 AM
Matt prepares to unleash Brine Bombs. If they're needed of course.

Saryon
2012-05-23, 07:20 PM
Illtyd tenses, awaiting the order to strike. He scans the enemy, searching for a captain, leader, or otherwise dangerous opponent as his target for the first surprise shot.

Mordae
2012-06-08, 08:09 AM
The ships come together with a mighty crash, and sailors from the other side throw grapnels across and begin to rush the Cutthroat's deck, about a dozen in all. They gravitate toward the center of the ship, swords drawn and looking for any chance to use them. One in particular, a burly fellow with a rag-wrapped head and a noticeable limp, lumbers over toward Venger and points at him with his sabre. "Avast! Where be your captain?"

On the far side, there are another ten sailors making ready to take on the plunder, and an olive-skinned fellow with a tricorn hat supervising from their quarterdeck. With the apparent officer are a pair of swarthy men armed with rifles.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-08, 01:19 PM
Dren takes in the tactical situation quickly. 10 on one seem like good odds to him.

The six foot tall native launches himself silently from his hiding spot, his Massive Cutlass cutting a deadly arc through the air, leaving an angry red afterimage.

It has been said that Dren Deadleg has cut a man in half with this weapon, and it seems as though he hopes to confirm the rumors.

Okay, lets see if I remember how to do this:
6 Warrior + 2 Training = +8 to hit? I don't see what exactly the enchant adds...
[roll0]
on hit [roll1] dmg
EXPLODE ROLLS [roll2]
Do I add my Warrior to damage?
I think the enchant adds to my damage...

Saryon
2012-06-08, 08:02 PM
Seeing Dren spring from his hiding spot before Venger could give a signal, Illtyd lets out a quiet sigh. Impatient fool. His glance flickers to the large man pointing his sword at Venger, but dismisses him as an immediate concern. Venger would probably be fine once the rest of the Cutthroat's crew joined the fight.

Raising his rifle carefully, he sights in on what he assumes is the enemy captain wearing the tricorn hat, hoping for a quick kill. If he could kill the captain with his first shot, the fight might end before it had a chance to begin in earnest...

Ok...I hope this works, never tried to post a roll before:

Attack Roll: [roll0]

Damage Roll: [roll1]

Exploding Die Roll: [roll2]

Quick question, does previewing the post mess with the dice rolls at all? I'm not going to preview this post just in case, so I hope I get everything right the first time...

In case I don't post before everyone else is ready again, Illtyd is going to do his best to stay in cover and try to stay hidden after he fires while he reloads, hoping that the muzzle flash didn't give away his position to anyone who can return fire.

Also...which group is Dren charging? The dozen in the center by Venger, or the ten further back awaiting plunder?

NotScaryBats
2012-06-09, 03:01 AM
Ah, forgive me. I attack the man in the lead, with the hat

sdream
2012-06-12, 11:51 AM
From up behind the mast, Venger replies as he sees Dren leap out.

"Me captain be indisposed, so you'll have to tender your surrender to me instead! Or fall before the crew of the wicked wench!"

Can I use the blinding flare version of light on a clump of their crew?

Mordae
2012-06-25, 03:21 PM
There is a loud BANG! from above as Illtyd pulls the trigger on his rifle, sending a lead ball screaming at the other vessel's captain. He staggers backward and falls on his rump, bleeding heavily from his left shoulder. The two sharpshooters adjacent to him look startled and take aim into the shrouds, looking for the hidden sniper on the Cutthroat.

On deck, Dren's blade scythes through the pirate boatswain's head like a hot knife through butter. Blood and brains spatter the holystoned deck as the shocked enemies grab their blades and swarm to the attack.

The ten men at the rails cease making preparations to take on plunder and go for their own weapons, hoping to turn the tide of the battle in their favor.

Again, many apologies for the delay. Here goes the exciting part...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Cutthroat sailors have the advantage.

sdream
2012-06-25, 04:32 PM
Venger remains up in the air behind the mast, waiting to cast a multitarget heal from mana when some of his friends are injured, or renew his shadowy bulletward if someone gets a lucky shot on him.

Grimsage Matt
2012-06-25, 05:16 PM
"Kick 'em me beuties!"

And with that, the pair of horse, made of wind, chage up to one, and while they have little physical form, they are capable of frightening, and kicking where it hurts.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-25, 07:04 PM
Dren lets loose a yell of triumph as his momentum carries his blade into another foe.

Note for the counterattack: Tough as Nails reduces all damage taken by two, as I read it. I could be wrong.
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] to damage
Explosions, if relevant
[roll2]

Saryon
2012-06-29, 05:46 PM
Still doing his best to stay hidden, Illtyd begins to reload his rifle.

Mordae
2012-08-03, 01:55 PM
Invisible as the wind, Matt's two horses swoop down to the deck, buffeting the fellows attempting to cross over to the Cutthroat, delivering bruising kicks that serve to delay their entry to the battle.

Dren's blade strikes down yet another of the aggressive pirates while Venger oversees from above.

The remainder of the Cutthroat's crew rush forward with Dren to engage the group already on deck, and soon it's a frenzied melee of steel upon steel. One of the enemies emerges to swing a blade at Dren...

Meanwhile, the two sharpshooters on the far side take a bead on Illtyd's position. POP! POP! come the sound of exploding gunpowder, followed swiftly by the scream of lead...

[roll0] + 2 = 6
[roll1] = 3
[roll2] + 1 = 10
[roll3] = 6
[roll4] + 3 = 7
[roll5] = 9

I'll look up the hits when I can see your sheets, or you can do the calculation yourselves...

Grimsage Matt
2012-08-03, 06:07 PM
Matt thinks about something. Then he grins. With a scream of wind, we summons a strong wind, that blows towards the other ship. Not to move it no, but to thwart the guns!

Vodoo; [roll0] -1 mana

NotScaryBats
2012-08-03, 09:40 PM
Exulting in the heat of combat, the massive native looks and feels more alive than he has in weeks. He parries a clumsy cutlass attack, and returns the swing with a savage riposte, his dreadful red blade leaving a sinister afterimage.

Defense is 9
Attack vs Sailor [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
relevant explosions: [roll2]

Hey, nice to see you back. I'm subbed, so pretty much whenever we have action posted, I notice it.

Saryon
2012-08-04, 12:35 PM
Well, unless I roll for active defense, I'll be down so...here goes:

Active Defense roll: [rollv]8d6

I forgot to put the closing tag on the roll, so my roll is actually in the OOC thread. Still, I think it's just enough to let me dodge sharpshooter 2, who was my main concern.

sdream
2012-08-04, 06:55 PM
Venger sees his quiet sharpshooter friend take a nasty looking bullet, and the enemy Boswain's brains splatter the deck.

From experience he knows that even a healed brain injury leaves the target loopy for a random time frame, and he includes the boswain, himself, and Illtyd in a powerful burst of shadowy healing. That man might be a good recruit after this battle is over and his mind recovers.

5 HP restored to each, see the OOC thread for details.

Mordae
2012-08-10, 02:21 PM
Wind bursts across the deck in gusts, setting the sheets to flapping above, and Illtyd finds just enough cover among them to avoid being blasted by the enemy snipers.

On the deck, Dren takes down yet another of the attacking pirates, and all around him, the battle is swiftly proceeding toward victory. Talla and the eldest Jeffson have chased a pair of sailors back across the rails, and there are a couple down with their boatswain. The enemy snipers are still reloading, but their captain has dragged himself to cover behind a barrel, leaving a trail of blood on the wooden planks behind him.

Saryon
2012-08-11, 08:53 PM
Mumbling to himself about the questionable lineage of the sharpshooter who managed to shoot him, Illtyd continues reloading his rifle.

Grimsage Matt
2012-08-11, 08:57 PM
Mentaly dricting the called elemental creatures, the horses lask out with their hoves, to knock people over, and the airy elemental continues to impede enemy fire.

Wind horse knockdown
Based on me mage?
[roll0]

sdream
2012-08-16, 10:44 AM
Venger, still halfway up the mast, tries to keep it between himself and the worst of the fighting, only peeking out to keep an eye on his friends and heal them should they fall.

NotScaryBats
2012-08-18, 03:15 PM
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] dmg
explosive rolls [roll2]

Dren continues to clean up the decks with the strength of several men, dead sailors around him in piles.

Mordae
2012-08-24, 08:39 AM
The battle is all but won as the enemy pirates are in complete disarray, with Dren slashing another with an awful stroke and Matt's horses whinnying across the narrow gap between the boats to prevent the foes from coming in number. First one, then a handful, then all the men still living who had crossed onto Cutthroat's deck drop their sabres and raise their hands in surrender.

On the far side, the captain is nowhere to be seen, but the two snipers have ceased their efforts to reload. The men at the rail are too busy taking cover from the winds to really understand what is going on.

NotScaryBats
2012-08-24, 11:18 AM
Dren pauses. Huh, over already?

He begins to order his men around, using the standard hostage-taking procedure on the few living enemies. Looking across the deck, the large man scowls to himself.

Saryon
2012-08-24, 04:49 PM
Finally finished reloading, Illtyd readies his rifle and scans the enemy ship, searching primarily for the enemy captain, but also watching for signs of continued hostility. Any attempt at an ambush would be met with a bullet between the eyes.

Mordae
2012-09-05, 12:31 PM
The rounding up of the enemy sailors is accomplished in short order. Their captain is found below-decks, dead on the surgeon's table. A quick survey of the ship's contents finds four small guns on the quarterdeck and fourteen long guns on the gun deck, twenty tons of sugar and thirty tons of food in the hold, and five hundred gold pieces in the captain's chest.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-05, 12:42 PM
Dren accompanies his business-savvy brother to the enemy vessel, a giant, bloody guardian angel.

were we looting the new boat and torching it, or...? I don't remember the plan.

Grimsage Matt
2012-09-05, 12:49 PM
Matt calls the elementals back to him, but does not yet dismiss them. He wants to to stand guard, and make sure they try no hostile moves.

And as the elementals come back to Matt, the winds the surround him increase, and he seems to be almost a creature of elemental wind himself.

sdream
2012-09-05, 01:04 PM
Venger climbs down onto the deck after the fracas fades, doing one last shadowy Voodoo healing thump to bring himself and any 3 critically injured crewmen back to health.

He then stalks the deck of their prize in the shade of his mighty brother, and summons the leaders of the cuttthroat (including Talia and Longshanks).

"With our skills, the prize be ours. The armada should give a decent purse for the ship itself, if we dragged it to port. We can still take any prey we meet along the way. What say you?"

NotScaryBats
2012-09-05, 02:30 PM
Selling the ship seems like a good plan to Dren. "Ya, good plan," he rumbles.

Saryon
2012-09-05, 03:21 PM
Illtyd, seeing that the hostilities have well and truly ceased, climbs down and joins the others.

Hearing Venger's words, Illtyd ponders a moment, then shrugs. "I have no objections."

Mordae
2012-09-06, 11:15 AM
Talla shrugs. "Your call, cap'n, but zhe is a bit faster zan our own, and zhe carries more cargo. Zhe could make a nise flagship, if you not worry about ze bad record..."

sdream
2012-09-06, 12:19 PM
"A ship be like a woman. Devil to one, angel to another. She's been sweet to us, maybe she been waiting for da voodoo and you ladies o'brew."

He looked at longshanks.

"If the sailing folk say this ship be good for our business, we no longer need yours... a debt I am glad to leave behind. Think hard as we sail to port. A new crew and you can go back to your old failing ways. Or you could stick with us. If the cuttthroat close to our speed, we could take down bigger game together. I feel you would do well to learn of the voodoo."

Mordae
2012-09-07, 08:43 AM
"I'll think about it," grumbles Longshanks, though he doesn't appear too happy about his prospects.

The crew is divided among the two ships, with those of the former enemy La Negre watched carefully to ensure their loyalty. The sails are set, with Matt's horses aiding the wind, and the flotilla continues en route to Nassau.

A day passes under clear skies, but the next dawn comes cloudy and with the smell of rain looming. Just before lunch time, Jeffson calls down from his usual place aloft to where Venger is relaxing on the quarterdeck. "Sail ahoy, cap'n! 'Nother barque, this one flying French colors!"

[roll0]
[roll1]

Saryon
2012-09-12, 09:36 PM
Illtyd, busy examining the new ship and making any needed repairs, hears Jeffson's shout and glances up from his work. Peering intently at the other ship, he calls, "Can you make anything out? Does she look like a merchant, or a military vessel?"

NotScaryBats
2012-09-13, 12:28 AM
"Hmmm, press our luck, or leave it be...?" Dren rumbles, wondering how well the budding armada could defeat another ship so soon.

Mordae
2012-09-13, 07:00 AM
"She be a merchant to my eyes, riding low," Jeffson calls down to the sniper.

sdream
2012-09-13, 08:14 AM
"It never rain but it pours" comments the scarred native.

"Signal the Cuttthroat to intercept, and set sail along side her. Lets show this lot how to take a ship our way."

Mordae
2012-09-19, 03:56 PM
The pirate fleet moves to intercept the French barque, but their approach is spotted and the merchant turns to run. Cutthroat, even on her best day, would not be able to keep up the pursuit for long, but La Negra is able to slowly close the gap with Matt's horses champing at the sails. As she nears, the merchant furls sail and runs up the white flag.

While Cutthroat catches up, the crew counts up 200 pieces of silver, 50 tons of food, and 5 tons of sugar. 5 of the captured crew volunteer to turn pirate.

"What say you, cap'wn?" Talla murmurs, running her fingers through her hair with one hand as she keeps her drawn sabre pointed at the prisoners. "We'w be needin' them if we be keepin' their ship an' not sendin' her to Davy Jones."

NotScaryBats
2012-09-19, 04:23 PM
"Easy catch. What do we do with the others, then?" Dren murmurs.

Saryon
2012-09-20, 10:10 PM
Illtyd slowly shakes his head. "Do what you wish, I care not." Turning and starting to return to the La Negra, he calls over his shoulder. "Just remember that a corpse can be looted but once, but the living can be looted again and again."

sdream
2012-09-21, 02:02 PM
"Runnin up the white flag be good for everyone. Welcome those who wish to join, and leave all the food and a ton of sugar. Then we be back on our way."

NotScaryBats
2012-09-21, 05:40 PM
Dren nods. He trusts his brother's wisdom. Maybe he wants to make a good name for the crew, or maybe he has other reasons, but killing civilians is what separates the two brothers from the evil man who butchered their home village.

Mordae
2012-09-28, 08:57 AM
The merchant vessel is put in line, with Talla supervising a few of the pirate crew's sailors to keepp the captured barque moving with the fleet. Over the next few days, only a small rainstorm delays the three ships' passage through the turquoise waters of the Bahamas, and at last the ships reach the sleepy English port of Nassau.

Possible in-port actions:
- Meet with the colonial Governor
- Relax and socialize at the William's tavern
- Buy/sell cargo
- Sell/repair ships

NotScaryBats
2012-09-28, 01:05 PM
Dren will focus on his ship for the first day, spending the night at the tavern to see what all the fuss is about.

Saryon
2012-09-29, 12:02 PM
Now that they've finally reached a port, Illtyd performs a full inspection of their new ship, making sure it is in peak condition. He also offers to inspect the Cutthroat, if Longshanks is willing.

After that, Illtyd will find the market and seek out a pair of rifles to purchase...having discovered a painful flaw in only having a single ready rifle.

Mordae
2012-10-09, 12:32 PM
During his inspection of La Negra, Illtyd finds a handful of minor leaks (roll 9+ on shipwright to fix, or 25sp to the yardmaster to have repaired) and a number of torn sails (roll 11+ on shipwright to fix, or 40sp to the yardmaster). Illtyd also finds a reputable gunsmith willing to sell a pair of rifles for 30sp each.

Dren helps out around the ship for awhile but then heads down to the docks to socialize. The sailors are mostly English with a few French mixed in, but not a good word is said about Spaniards regardless of the speaker's origin. It seems there have been some snoops prowling around for information about the town's defenses, and the locals fear an invasion may be imminent.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-09, 02:45 PM
Dren, although slow on the uptake at times, is cunning enough to realize something that should be mentioned to his captain when he hears it. He endeavors to find his brother and warn him of the locals' fears at once, draining a mug of whatever spirits are available and heading out.

Grimsage Matt
2012-10-09, 02:50 PM
Matt was catching up on his sleep below decks, then talked with Jembei for a bit. He restores all the mana in his staff after that.

Saryon
2012-10-09, 07:04 PM
Illtyd's shipwright rolls. I wasn't sure which stat to add in so I left it out, only adding in the +2 for the shipwright talent. For reference I'll post my stats right above the rolls so you won't have to look it up...

W 1
R 6
M 3

[roll0]
[roll1]

I'll also adjust my sheet to reflect my purchases.

Mordae
2012-10-11, 09:45 AM
Illtyd's efforts put the hull back in one piece, but the sails are a bit beyond his skill for the moment.

Dren finds Venger deep in conversations with Talla. "The shipwight offews five hundwed fow ze bawque we captuwed. I managed to tawk him up fwom fow hundwed wif a wittle..." the woman's voice trails off as she gives a little shake of her hips.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-11, 10:04 PM
Dren looms. His brother should know him well enough to read his body language - he hates interrupting a lady, but has something to say.

When prompted, or when the conversation ends, Dren rumbles, "Might be a fight. Bar folk was sayin some snoops been checkin up on town defenses."