PDA

View Full Version : Non-Magic Items! Respect It!

Suteinu
2012-04-03, 04:06 PM
The Challenge: Make armor, weapons, and assorted equipment that can be made w/out spellcasting, Item Creation feats Artificier, or any of that other sneaky stuff. In other words, a well-skilled, well-feated, well-supplied master craftsman aught to be able tomake these items. Think fantastic in a low-/ no magic setting.

Yes, coolness counts. Feel free to pull in whatever substances you want, but try to refrain from over-using starmetal, adamantite, and the like; it gets boring when such things are used too often (w/ a silent 't'). Consider backstory: who made it, why it was made, where it is from, etc. Please site non-core sources.

For example, I present an item made w/ Soranar's Spartan build in mind (from Rasman's "Spartans RISE!" thread

Bronze light shield (AC +1, ChPen -1, 5lb, 1d3 shield bash (B, x2), Hd 9, hp 10)--10 gp
Mstwk (shield and weapon)--450 gp
Acid Wash (+4 item's save vs. acid, disentegration, and rust)--100 gp
Ornate (+2 when displayed to Diplomacy OR Intimidation, pick one at time of item creation)--400 gp
Perfect Balance (+1 AC to Total Defence)--100 gp
Reinforcement (+1 to shield AC bonus, +10% or, in this case, 2lb)--800 gp
Resiliant (+5 item's hp)--200 gp
Vital Coverage (+2 AC vs. Crit confirmation check)--200 GP
Shield Specialization: Lt. Shield (1 feat from wielder; see Soranar's build)

Including that last feat, the Spartan wielding this shield essentially wields a shield that handles like a light shield and protects almost like a tower shield.

Spartan Shield
AC +3 (+4 w/ Shield Sp.), ChPen --, 7lb, +1 Att w/ shield bash, 1d3 B (x2), Hd 9, hp 15

Cost: 2,260 gp
Fighting in the shade: Priceless :smallbiggrin:

All that neat stuff comes from Dragon #358, by the by.

Morph Bark
2012-04-03, 04:22 PM
Dragon #358, PHBII and any source with special materials will of course help tons for weapons and armor.

I'll be surely following this if some interesting things get going, since I got a character with Leadership setting up a mundane crafter's guild. :smallbiggrin:

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-03, 06:48 PM
Ornate, Oerthblood, Pure Ore, Razor Sharp, Folded Metal, Serrated, Perfect Balance, Acid Washed, Dwarvencraft, Gloryborn, Baatorian Green Steel (with a Duskwood haft) Guisarme.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12837

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-04-03, 07:51 PM
"Iron Kingdoms" contains a few new nonmagical properties that can be applied on weapons.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-04-03, 07:56 PM
I have a list of special nonmagical materials and alchemical items in my signature, if it helps anyone.

Suteinu
2012-04-04, 05:15 PM
To follow the Spartan shield, I give you...

Spartan Spear

Bronze-headed Greatspear + Mstwk. + Acid Wash + Enhanced Bracing (+2 StR damage) + Longrange + Ornate (Intimidation) + Resiliant + Perfect Balance + Versitile (add Slash to Piercing weapon, hewing spear) + Razor sharp =

+1 Att, 2d6+1 dmg, x3, 30' rng, 9 lb., reach, StR Charge +2 x2, + a few extra details. Chew on THIS, greatsword!

Agent 451
2012-04-04, 08:29 PM
Too bad long-range is restricted to bows and crossbows. Easy enough to ignore that or make an ability that encompasses other weapons with range increments though.

Where is versatile from? Is it in Dragon Mag 358 as well?

Vizzerdrix
2012-04-05, 01:03 PM
Shapesand.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-05, 01:17 PM
Dungeonscape

Oil chamber
Hilt Hollow
Sanctified (acts as holy symbol)
Wand Chamber

I think there was another thread of this nature before, but I am not sufficiently motivated to find or link it.

Visualizing an item with all these additions is... odd, to say the least.

Clawhound
2012-04-05, 01:58 PM
Shovel - You gain the advantages of the 'move earth' spell while using this tool, but you can only move (1 cubic foot + Strength Bonus)*.05 per round.

Woodman's Property - A weapon with this property may now deal criticals to plants. +25% base cost.

Smoking Pipe - Smoking a pipe gives you a +2 situation bonus on any knowledge roll.

Big Lever - Get a +6 to your Strength checks when moving medium and large objects.

Flickerdart
2012-04-06, 12:24 AM
Big Lever - Get a +6 to your Strength checks when moving medium and large objects.
Archimedes would object to this.

Suteinu
2012-04-07, 04:32 PM
Too bad long-range is restricted to bows and crossbows. Easy enough to ignore that or make an ability that encompasses other weapons with range increments though.

Where is versatile from? Is it in Dragon Mag 358 as well?

Sorry. That's a home-brew I first designed to make a cut-and-thrust out of rapier stats.

Suteinu
2012-04-07, 04:35 PM
Can you apply Acid Washed to clothing? :smallbiggrin:

Only by the seat of your pants!

Oh, and the Versetile feature is a homebrew I first developen to make a cut-and-thrust out of rapier stats. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier!

Agent 451
2012-04-07, 04:45 PM
No worries! I'd be interested in seeing it to be honest.

Telonius
2012-04-07, 10:44 PM
Dual-Use Item: In a pinch, this item can be used as a weapon more easily than most items of its type. The penalty for using it as an improvised weapon is halved. Casual viewing, or even handling the item, will not reveal its dual-use property. Only with a thorough examination (DC 20 search check) will the item be revealed as a potential weapon. Feats improving the use of the weapon the Dual-Use item is emulating (Weapon Focus, etc) also apply to attacks made with the Dual-Use Item. The cost of the Dual-Use item equals the cost of a typical item plus the cost of the weapon it's emulating. Special: A dual-use item can be made into a masterwork weapon, giving an extra +1 to attack, but the masterwork property must be paid for twice - once for the item, once for the weapon - resulting in a total price increase of 600gp for a normal weapon. A masterwork dual-use item can be enchanted magically at the normal price.

Example: Iron Pot, dual use as a Heavy Mace. Cost: 12gp 5sp. Net penalty -2. Masterwork: 612gp 5sp. Net penalty -1.
Example: Sewing Needle, dual use as a Dagger. Cost: 2gp 5sp. Net penalty -2. Masterwork: 602gp 5sp. Net penalty -1.

Suteinu
2012-04-08, 04:28 PM
No worries! I'd be interested in seeing it to be honest.

Pretty simple. For a mere addition of 200 gp, you may add one type of damage (slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning) to your weapon. The trick is sometimes making this a legitimate addition, so brush-up your weapons lore. I used this to make cut-and-thrust or side-swords (rapier w/ additional slashing capabilities), but other combos are possible: hewing spears (Viking), picks backed w/ hammer head (or vice-versa), daggers w/ skull-crusher pommel (an in-demand selling point for combat knives sold in magazines in the eighties). Essentially, the weapon is used w/ all normal stats, qualities, etc., with the addition of a new damage type.

I count it as an additional quality that can be applied by the Artisan Craftsman feat.

Vizzerdrix
2012-04-08, 05:24 PM
Not my creation, but something I found in a 3rd party book. It's called a jawed maul. Looks like a warhammer with a bear trap on the striking face that functions as the wounding property.

Suteinu
2012-04-08, 06:32 PM
Sort of a clawed grapple effect? Or maybe "Slam, Chomp, &Rip?"

Vizzerdrix
2012-04-08, 09:56 PM
Yup. Slam, chomp n' rip.