PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to close a box in a way only you can open it? [3.P]

JadePhoenix
2012-04-03, 05:54 PM
I don't know much about utility spells, specially in Pathfinder, so I come to the playground to ask this. Is there any (6th level or lower) spell that can be used to close a box (or similar container) in a way you and only you can open it by any means (yes, Arcane Lock doesn't cut it)? I can't think of anything like that.

Hirax
2012-04-03, 06:14 PM
I think the best you can do is use hoard gullet to simply swallow the box. It doesn't seal the box, but the only way anyone else is going to be able to get to it is by somehow retrieving it from inside your body.

limejuicepowder
2012-04-03, 06:18 PM
You could cover the box in exploding rune tags so that anyone who opens it (reads it) is blown to bits. You won't trigger the explosion if you don't want too, so re-entering the box is possible. The only problem with this plan is the box will be completely and utterly destroyed.

Crasical
2012-04-03, 06:28 PM
I'd been looking at trying to get a private, untamperable stash of equipment to facilitate a reincarnation druid getting back up to speed and ready to revenge himself upon his killers. While it doesn't help me, the Secret Chest spell hides a chest on the ethereal plane where it can't be easily found or accessed.

Knight13
2012-04-03, 06:28 PM
Well, you could just cast Arcane Lock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneLock.htm) on it. That's a 2nd level spell that creates a permanent magical lock that can only be opened by the caster. Of course, someone could still get in by casting Knock or Dispel Magic or by just breaking the box.

Did you mean nobody but you can open it by any means?

Jeraa
2012-04-03, 06:31 PM
Arcane Lock, 2nd level wizard spell.

In 3.5, everyone but the caster couldn't open it without a knock spell or breaking the item. In Pathfinder though, its easier to open. If the item already has a lock, you can pick the lock (+10 to the DC). IF the item doesn't already have a lock, one is magically created (DC 20 to pick).

JadePhoenix
2012-04-03, 06:32 PM
Well, you could just cast Arcane Lock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneLock.htm) on it. That's a 2nd level spell that creates a permanent magical lock that can only be opened by the caster. Of course, someone could still get in by casting Knock or Dispel Magic or by just breaking the box.

Did you mean nobody but you can open it by any means?

Yes, by any means.

Darth Stabber
2012-04-03, 06:34 PM
Arcane Lock, 2nd level wizard spell.

In 3.5, everyone but the caster couldn't open it without a knock spell or breaking the item. In Pathfinder though, its easier to open. If the item already has a lock, you can pick the lock (+10 to the DC). IF the item doesn't already have a lock, one is magically created (DC 20 to pick).

Wow, arcane lock kinda sucks in pathfinder. Well it's not like wizards couldn't handle a nerf here and there.

nedz
2012-04-03, 06:44 PM
I can do this in 3.5 with a 1st level spell; but Pathfinder, I'm not so sure ?

Jack_Simth
2012-04-03, 06:54 PM
I don't know much about utility spells, specially in Pathfinder, so I come to the playground to ask this. Is there any (6th level or lower) spell that can be used to close a box (or similar container) in a way you and only you can open it by any means (yes, Arcane Lock doesn't cut it)? I can't think of anything like that.
Not really; even Hoard Gullet has some way for other people to get to the contents (a Bag of Holding is effectively a demiplane, accessible via Wish, Gate, a method of Plane Shift that bypasses the need for a focus... or just by Dispelling you).

A 3.5 Druid's Wildshape makes gear merge with his body... but that ends as soon as Wildshape expires (and it can be suppressed with an AMF).

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-03, 07:04 PM
No. There is always, always, always a way to break into something. It might be incredibly difficult and take a series of specific actions, but it is ALWAYS possible.

doko239
2012-04-04, 12:32 AM
You could use Create Lesser Demiplane and just keep your whatchamacallit in there, sort of like a Bag of Holding without a physical counterpart. People can still access it with Plane Shift etc. but they'd have to know where they're going first, so long as you can keep it a secret nobody is likely to come across it.

Edit: Alternative solution. Involves 18 Immovable rods, as well as several castings of Greater Invisibility and Permanency.

Here's what you do:

Teleport yourself to a random patch of sky somewhere on your plane. REMEMBER THIS SPOT. Lay down three of your Immovable Rods and activate them so that they form a sort of platform wide enough for your box to rest on, then place another 3 vertically on each side of your new shelf to form a sort of box in the air. Place your container within this box, then place the remaining immovable rods in place as the lid.

Cast Permanency'd Greater Invis on all rods as well as the box. Unless someone happens to be looking at that bit of sky just as a bird hits your invisible box, nobody will ever find your stuff. Retrieving is as simple as returning to the same spot and removing the rods.

Note that neither of these actually solves your original issue, and instead I'm giving you Security thru Obscurity which is about all you can manage in RAW.

SetArk
2012-04-04, 06:41 AM
If u wanna to walk around with that box, u could try the force chest spell, its on the spell compendium.... I think 97. But i really doesn't remember if that spell have an material component or the duration, but i THINK it were something about day/casterlevel...

Knight13
2012-04-06, 08:50 AM
You could also get sneaky. Have a normal, nonmagical chest with a normal, nonmagical lock. Inside the chest, have a nonmagical hidden space (you can get descriptions and prices for these in Complete Scoundrel) under a false bottom or something. Then, inside the hidden space, have a second, extradimensional hidden space that's disguised with Nystul's Magic Aura and can only be opened with a command word that only you know or something like that.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-06, 09:23 AM
You could also get sneaky. Have a normal, nonmagical chest with a normal, nonmagical lock. Inside the chest, have a nonmagical hidden space (you can get descriptions and prices for these in Complete Scoundrel) under a false bottom or something. Then, inside the hidden space, have a second, extradimensional hidden space that's disguised with Nystul's Magic Aura and can only be opened with a command word that only you know or something like that.

That's what I was looking for, but is there a spell for such command word?
I think I'll just go with a custom wondrous item...

Knight13
2012-04-06, 09:35 AM
No spell that I know of, but I think your DM would allow a custom magic item like that.

Wings of Peace
2012-04-06, 10:31 AM
Buy a padlock.

hydraa
2012-04-06, 11:23 AM
Simple solution. Kill everyone. Then no one but you can open it.

Fable Wright
2012-04-07, 06:12 AM
Since it's 3.P, have you considered Secret Chest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/secretChest.htm)? While there's some chance that it could be found, the wording of the spell (irrevocably lost, planar expedition, etc.) implies that it would be almost impossible to do so. Also note that as written and implied, only the caster can retrieve the chest, even if someone else finds the miniature. ('Lost' implies that even if someone else found it, the fact that you need the replica, and the fact that it says that you, not the person holding the miniature, concentrates for a standard action to summon the box all imply this, if not state it outright.)

hamishspence
2012-04-07, 06:18 AM
Force Chest (Spell Compendium) is a chest made of solid walls of force, has a password- can't be opened without the password. It's still destroyable by disintegrate, disjunction, sphere of annihilation, rod of cancellation.

And, the spell has a duration- 24 hours per level. Would need DM's discretion to have permanency work on it.

Heatwizard
2012-04-07, 06:38 AM
Simple solution. Kill everyone. Then no one but you can open it.

What about ghosts?

Toy Killer
2012-04-07, 02:23 PM
Force Chest (Spell Compendium) is a chest made of solid walls of force, has a password- can't be opened without the password.

Well, if you decide to go that route, make sure your password is an acronym you can easily remember instead of an actual word with at least two capital letters, numbers or symbols intermixed.:smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2012-04-07, 09:57 PM
What about ghosts?
Trap the Soul, obviously.

TroubleBrewing
2012-04-07, 10:13 PM
Trap the Soul, obviously.

It's moments like these that make me wish this forum had a "like" button.

Acanous
2012-04-07, 10:17 PM
there's a spell called Living Vault. It does exactly this. It is an epic spell.

Akisa
2012-04-07, 10:55 PM
You could use Create Lesser Demiplane and just keep your whatchamacallit in there, sort of like a Bag of Holding without a physical counterpart. People can still access it with Plane Shift etc. but they'd have to know where they're going first, so long as you can keep it a secret nobody is likely to come across it.

Edit: Alternative solution. Involves 18 Immovable rods, as well as several castings of Greater Invisibility and Permanency.

Here's what you do:

Teleport yourself to a random patch of sky somewhere on your plane. REMEMBER THIS SPOT. Lay down three of your Immovable Rods and activate them so that they form a sort of platform wide enough for your box to rest on, then place another 3 vertically on each side of your new shelf to form a sort of box in the air. Place your container within this box, then place the remaining immovable rods in place as the lid.

Cast Permanency'd Greater Invis on all rods as well as the box. Unless someone happens to be looking at that bit of sky just as a bird hits your invisible box, nobody will ever find your stuff. Retrieving is as simple as returning to the same spot and removing the rods.

Note that neither of these actually solves your original issue, and instead I'm giving you Security thru Obscurity which is about all you can manage in RAW.

Heh that reminds me of game where we decided wind walk away after beating a lich. The lich did the same thing and we didn't make our knowledge check about the phylactery (sp?) . So DM rolls and the Barbarian crashes into the storage area about 100 miles away.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-07, 11:53 PM
Epic Level Handbook has a Use Rope DC 60 to "Tie a knot only you know how to untie", which is a start. I don't think Animate Rope is able to undo it, but it might.

Maybe if you construct your box entirely of Unique Knots of Spellblade(Disintegrate) Riverine somehow encased in multiple selective, re-generating AMFs to avoid Disjunction? Make a Spellclock of AMF inside the box set to re-cast the AMFs at the smallest unit of time possible. Then fill the box with Artifacts, so whoever's Disjoining them all seriously risks losing all spellcasting forever?

That way, no one can *open* it but you, they'd have to find a way of spamming Disjunction enough to break through the AMFs and Forcewall, possibly losing all his/her spellcasting in the process by hitting the Artifacts.

KicktheCAN
2012-04-08, 12:20 AM
The Personal Space acf for psions gives you an extradimensional space inside of yourself (which doesn't really make any sense) that only you can access. By RAW it can hold an unlimited amount of stuff although this was definitely not RAI.

TroubleBrewing
2012-04-08, 12:23 AM
Epic Level Handbook has a Use Rope DC 60 to "Tie a knot only you know how to untie", which is a start. I don't think Animate Rope is able to undo it, but it might.

Maybe if you construct your box entirely of Unique Knots of Spellblade(Disintegrate) Riverine somehow encased in multiple selective, re-generating AMFs to avoid Disjunction? Make a Spellclock of AMF inside the box set to re-cast the AMFs at the smallest unit of time possible. Then fill the box with Artifacts, so whoever's Disjoining them all seriously risks losing all spellcasting forever?

That way, no one can *open* it but you, they'd have to find a way of spamming Disjunction enough to break through the AMFs and Forcewall, possibly losing all his/her spellcasting in the process by hitting the Artifacts.

As genius as this is, you could probably do it if you had your cohort Wizard do it for you. Then, once he loses all his spellcasting, you get whatever is in the box.

Actually, that's a good question. What is IN the box?

Jack_Simth
2012-04-08, 01:52 AM
As genius as this is, you could probably do it if you had your cohort Wizard do it for you. Then, once he loses all his spellcasting, you get whatever is in the box.That's not how you do it. You put Disjunction into a major ring of spell storing, have a Summon cast the Disjunction out of the ring, and then hand the ring back so you can reload it.

It doesn't much matter if the noncasting Summon loses all casting ability forever, now does it?

TuggyNE
2012-04-08, 01:56 AM

Can anyone say "Gordian Knot plothook"?

Heatwizard
2012-04-08, 04:51 AM

It's pain.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-08, 07:27 AM

The sixth segment of The Rod of Seven Parts.

Eisirt
2012-04-08, 08:12 AM

Here's what you do:

Just nitpicking.... Permanency doesn't work on Greater Invis... it does work for normal Invis on objects though (PHB 245).

JadePhoenix
2012-04-08, 10:45 AM
Just nitpicking.... Permanency doesn't work on Greater Invis... it does work for normal Invis on objects though (PHB 245).

You can't teleport to open sky, also.

Akisa
2012-04-08, 03:41 PM
You can't teleport to open sky, also.

What's stopping you from doing so? Once he places some immovable rods it becomes a spot where he can picture in his mind.

Psyren
2012-04-08, 05:08 PM
No. There is always, always, always a way to break into something. It might be incredibly difficult and take a series of specific actions, but it is ALWAYS possible.

This. Better still, they could just retrieve the contents of your box and leave all your protections intact.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-08, 05:38 PM
What's stopping you from doing so? Once he places some immovable rods it becomes a spot where he can picture in his mind.

Teleportation being a Conjuration spell stops you from doing so.

"A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it."
Emphasis mine.

brujon
2012-04-08, 06:03 PM
Construct a Living Vault. Hide said box in the Living Vault. Cover it up in anti-divination & anti-tampering magic from head to toe, then hide it in the Astral Sea, crafting a contigency effect that warns you if anyone comes within 10ft of the living vault, and another contingency effect that triggers a celerity effect whenever you are warned of the intrusion and are in combat. Then you can teleport instantly to the living vault and defend it against the tampering. From the top of my head, this is the most secure thing. The Living Vault is a beast of a construct that can aptly defend the contents it secures against most intruders, and the Astral Sea is infinite, so no one can get to your box by walking, only by bypassing all the divinations and directly teleporting there, or by getting the information out of you, which by that time, completely bypasses the point of protecting the box... They will also have to have prepared a lot of dispel magics, and with the proper CL boosting, you can make it near impossible to dispel. By the time they get past all that, you can teleport and deal with the threat directly.

Of course this all assumes that you are a 20th level Wizard with a lot of free time.

georgie_leech
2012-04-09, 01:11 AM
Of course, the only hurdle there is just being a level 20 wizard. Wizards can make free time if they need it.

Heatwizard
2012-04-09, 01:52 AM

Emphasis mine.

Immovable rods are a surface capable of supporting you, though.

nedz
2012-04-09, 02:54 PM
OK - my level 1 method of doing this [3.5] uses the spell from SpC Familier Pocket.

This will work in 3.P only if this spell is available
This has a duration of 1 hour / CL
This will hold an object no larger than will fit in a 1 foot cube

So it is kind of restricted, but it probably meets all of the OPs requirements. It is available at level 1 however.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-09, 09:03 PM
OK - my level 1 method of doing this [3.5] uses the spell from SpC Familier Pocket.

This will work in 3.P only if this spell is available
This has a duration of 1 hour / CL
This will hold an object no larger than will fit in a 1 foot cube

So it is kind of restricted, but it probably meets all of the OPs requirements. It is available at level 1 however.

Dispel or any other suppression effect (AMF) puts in in your space, in addition to waiting for the duration to run out, or simply incapacitating you and looting the pocket. Sort of like a smaller version of Hoard Gullet (Dragon Magic, level 1) for the same spell level.

Oscredwin
2012-04-09, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHB
"A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it."
Emphasis mine.
This doesn't apply to teleport.