PDA

View Full Version : Classy d20 System [PEACH]

Pages : 1 [2]

Lappy9001
2014-04-30, 10:21 PM
The adjustments look good, and I like that rewording of Charge (you might want to fix the major copy-paste error with Ride-by Attack.)

I'd say Spirited Charge should be something like:

Spirited Charge:
While using the Charge Tactic, increase Maneuver Difficulties by 2 and deal 2 additional damage.Thanks, I like it! Minor tweak, and I'll add it in.

As for moving Talents around... here goes!

1. Make Aid Another a Tactic.
2. Put Fast Talker in the slot vacated by Aid Another.
3. Move Well-Versed to the Basic slot for Speech.
4. Give Knowledge something like Keen Intuition:

Keen Intuition
You may spend 1 Essentia as a minor action to immediately reveal abilities or weaknesses possessed by a monster as if you had succeeded on a Knowledge check and succeeded by 2 points per Knowledge talent you have.Keeps true to the Knowledge-theme and moves the extra languages to Speech (which I always wanted to do, but couldn't think of a place holder!). Thanks a million :smallsmile:

I'm going to keep working on the skills to make them better suited to their intended purposes. If anyone has any ideas, please share them :smallsmile:

Amechra
2014-05-05, 07:51 PM
I initially was going to suggest that the Nature basic talent should let you speak to animals, but since most Base Talents scale, I felt that was inappropriate.

Lappy9001
2014-05-06, 12:40 PM
I initially was going to suggest that the Nature basic talent should let you speak to animals, but since most Base Talents scale, I felt that was inappropriate.Nature's still giving me problems, but I think I'm going to replace Profession with enchanting items or some other equivalent (because I already have enchanting in the 'mind-affecting' sense) and make mechanics about locks and traps.

'Profession' could be a type of semi-skill roll, but not an actual skill.

Lappy9001
2014-05-06, 01:38 PM
To add to Traps: If you fail the roll to disable a trap by 5 or more, the trap is set off.

Mechanics represents the usage of tools and gadgetry, allowing users to open locks, pilot devices, and disable and set traps. Mechanics rolls are almost always made against a set Difficulty.

Tools of the Trade (Base Talent)
You can create traps using the appropriate materials. Whenever you use an item that grants an Item bonus or a weapon with the Masterwork Property, you increase the bonus provided by +1. In addition, traps you create and locks you jam increase their Difficulty by +2 for each Mechanics talent learned.

Disable Device
You are able to jam a lock to prevent it from being opened. Doing so takes 1 round and increases the Difficulty to open a lock by 5.

Jury Rig (taken from blacksmith)
You can reassign the damage dice and Properties of a weapon with the appropriate tools and 1 hour of uninterrupted work. Applying the Masterwork or Ammunition Properties in this manner requires no gold.

Trapsmith
When you attempt to disable a trap, you do not set the trap off if you fail the roll by 5 or more. In addition, once you successfully reset a trap, you can allow yourself and your allies to pass through the trap's space without setting off the trap.

Disable Device needs work, but I think it's a decent start

Amechra
2014-05-07, 12:33 PM
Covering races, Graveborn's Major Ability breaks the mold for Major abilities by not having uses per day. I think you should probably explicitly point this out somewhere.

Also (because rat people are pretty cool):

Ratfolk

A populous race whose warrens criss-cross the underbelly of the world, Ratfolk are man-sized bipedal rats with a penchant for internal strife. While stereotypically duplicitous and cowardly, Ratfolk regard neither of those qualities as drawbacks; additionally, any Ratfolk who come to the surface rapidly acclimatize to the surface-folk's expectations vis-a-vis "honesty" and similar foibles.

Attribute: +1 Dexterity
Speed: 5 Squares
Skill: +1 Nature, +1 Stealth
Keen Snout: Ratfolk are immune to the Blinded condition.
One Rat Swarm: Ratfolk may enter a state of agitated activity, granting them a +2 bonus to Speed and the ability to ignore Difficult Terrain for 3 rounds; however, they are Demoralized as long as they are in this state.
Language: Common and Underword

AWW YEAH, SKAVEN!

Moving on...

I think there should be "alternate" options for some arcane schools, martial disciplines, and skills, for campaign generalization.

For example, I can see Necromancy as having an alternate Spell:

Raise the Damned: You may bring an ally back to life with 0 HP, and then restore HP equal to twice their level. Doing so applies the Graveborn template to their race; if they were already Graveborn, they cannot be resurrected this way.

Speech could have the alternate Talent:

Cruel Tongue: You may take a Minor action to Demoralize an opponent for 3 rounds; this is an Easy Difficulty Speech check, with a +2 to the Difficulty for each Monster level the opponent has.

And Archery could have the alternate Maneuver:

Hawkeye Shot (Base Talent)
Add 5 squares to the Effective range of any ranged weapon that you use for each Archery maneuver you have.

And so on and so forth. Before the game begins, a DM may swap Maneuvers, Talents, and Spells out for alternatives as a way of customizing their game (Gritty game where Resurrection is swapped out for Banish Fatigue (removes the Weakened and Slowed conditions)! A game with Gun Kata where Archery gets a ranged version of Parry! A full-on Wuxia Talent for Athletics that lets you run on air!)

And I think that's the way to go for Mechanics; would the Profession replacement just get all the old Mechanics stuff?

Oh, for Nature:

Fast Walker (Base Talent)
When calculating the rate of your Overland Travel, add +2 to your effective Speed per Nature talent you have. The bonus only applies if you are traveling by foot.

or

Inured to Hardship (Base Talent)
Reduce the damage you take from hazards by 1 die for each Nature Talent you have.

or

Expert Tracker (Base Talent)
Reduce the Difficulty to track a creature by 5 for each Nature Talent you have; if this reduces the Difficulty below 10, you automatically succeed at tracking that creature.

Thoughts?

Lappy9001
2014-05-08, 10:02 PM
Covering races, Graveborn's Major Ability breaks the mold for Major abilities by not having uses per day. I think you should probably explicitly point this out somewhere.It does, and I should, thanks!

Ratfolk

A populous race whose warrens criss-cross the underbelly of the world, Ratfolk are man-sized bipedal rats with a penchant for internal strife. While stereotypically duplicitous and cowardly, Ratfolk regard neither of those qualities as drawbacks; additionally, any Ratfolk who come to the surface rapidly acclimatize to the surface-folk's expectations vis-a-vis "honesty" and similar foibles.

One Rat Swarm: Ratfolk may enter a state of agitated activity, granting them a +2 bonus to Speed and the ability to ignore Difficult Terrain for 3 rounds; however, they are Demoralized as long as they are in this state.

AWW YEAH, SKAVEN! Fun Fact: I freakin' love Skaven :smallbiggrin:

And it looks great!

I think there should be "alternate" options for some arcane schools, martial disciplines, and skills, for campaign generalization.

For example, I can see Necromancy as having an alternate Spell:

Raise the Damned: You may bring an ally back to life with 0 HP, and then restore HP equal to twice their level. Doing so applies the Graveborn template to their race; if they were already Graveborn, they cannot be resurrected this way.

Speech could have the alternate Talent:

Cruel Tongue: You may take a Minor action to Demoralize an opponent for 3 rounds; this is an Easy Difficulty Speech check, with a +2 to the Difficulty for each Monster level the opponent has.

And Archery could have the alternate Maneuver:

Hawkeye Shot (Base Talent)
Add 5 squares to the Effective range of any ranged weapon that you use for each Archery maneuver you have.

And so on and so forth. Before the game begins, a DM may swap Maneuvers, Talents, and Spells out for alternatives as a way of customizing their game (Gritty game where Resurrection is swapped out for Banish Fatigue (removes the Weakened and Slowed conditions)! A game with Gun Kata where Archery gets a ranged version of Parry! A full-on Wuxia Talent for Athletics that lets you run on air!)Ooh! I had toyed with replacing abilities before, but that's a great idea to pick the ones available before the game starts. The system would get very wonky if abilities were just added or taken away, so it feels like a very natural direction. Rise of the Damned is pretty situational, but if it's for a specific campaign it could fit quite well.

And I think that's the way to go for Mechanics; would the Profession replacement just get all the old Mechanics stuff?Pretty much. Probably more essentia being thrown around.

Oh, for Nature:

Fast Walker (Base Talent)
When calculating the rate of your Overland Travel, add +2 to your effective Speed per Nature talent you have. The bonus only applies if you are traveling by foot.

or

Inured to Hardship (Base Talent)
Reduce the damage you take from hazards by 1 die for each Nature Talent you have.

or

Expert Tracker (Base Talent)
Reduce the Difficulty to track a creature by 5 for each Nature Talent you have; if this reduces the Difficulty below 10, you automatically succeed at tracking that creature.

Thoughts?Hmm, I like the idea of reducing hazard dice incrementally. Makes Nature very handy to have, which is something I strive for in all the talents. The other ones are good too!

Lappy9001
2014-05-12, 02:03 AM
Gremling
Gremlings are essentially the larval form of all goblinoids. Erratic, cunning, and extremely violent, gremlings intentionally seek out dangerous conflicts, seemingly throwing their lives away to those unfamiliar with the goblin life cycle. For when gremlings die, their bodies rejuvenate over the course of several hours or days, evolving the gremling into one of the stronger goblin subspecies. This spontaneous evolution only occurs once, and burning the body is one of the few established means of preventing gremling growth.

Gremling
Covered in short fur, this tiny creature sports a tiny body and oversized head, the dagger-like teeth in its oversized mouth chattering as the creature twitches with manic energy.

Gremling (Goblin)
Weak Monster (Tiny) ½
HP: ____/ 6
Str: -1 Dex: +4* Wis: +2
Con: +2 Int:+3 Cha: +0

Initiative: +7 Perception: +2*
Speed: 5 Stealth: +6*

Defense: 12 Resist: -
Fort: +1 Ref: +2 Will: +1

Weakness: Minion

Attack (Bite): +4 Melee
1d4 -1 Physical

Special Attack
Frenzy
Daily Use: ___ / 2
As a minor action, a gremling can enter a frenzied state, taking a -2 penalty to Defense, but rolling maximum damage dice with melee attacks for 3 rounds. If there are no adjacent enemies to attack while frenzy is active, the gremling must attack the nearest target.

Special Qualities
Minion
If a gremlin takes more than 3 points of damage in a single turn, they must make a Fortitude save (10 + damage taken) or immediately die.

Special Traits
*Darkvision*
Improved Initiative

Skills
+3 Mechanics*

Lappy9001
2014-05-12, 02:23 AM
Hobgoblin
Hobgoblins are a common goblin subspecies formed from goblins who met their fate from a weapon of iron or steel. Militant and calculating, hobgoblins are more likely to travel in large groups than other goblins, and occasionally band together under ambitious warlords in staggering numbers

Hobgoblin Grunt
Standing equal in height to a human, this goblinoid creature possesses grey skin, burning red eyes, long pointed ears, and jagged teeth. It wields its weapon comfortably as if it were a natural part of body.

Hobgoblin Grunt (Goblin)
Tough Monster 1
HP: ____/ 13
Str: +3* Dex: +1 Wis: +1
Con: +3 Int: +2 Cha: +0

Initiative: +1 Perception: +1
Speed: 5 Stealth: +2

Defense: 16 Resist: -
Fort: +5 Ref: +1 Will: +1

Attack (Shortsword ; Slashing): +4 Melee
1d6 + 1 Physical

Special Attack
Frenzy
Daily Use: 1
As a minor action, a hobgoblin can enter a frenzied state, taking a -2 penalty to Defense, but rolling maximum damage dice with melee attacks for 3 rounds. If there are no adjacent enemies to attack while frenzy is active, the hobgoblin must attack the nearest target.

Special Qualities
Surround
A hobgoblin can flank from any angle as long as it and an ally are adjacent to an enemy.

Special Traits
*Darkvision*
*Proficiency (Light Armor, One-Handed, Shield)*

Skills
+2 Athletics*, +3 Endurance*

Equipment
Large Shield, Leather Armor, Shortsword

Hobgoblin Archer
Standing equal in height to a human, this goblinoid creature possesses grey skin, burning red eyes, long pointed ears, and jagged teeth. It wields its weapon comfortably as if it were a natural part of body.

Hobgoblin Archer (Goblin)
Tough Monster 1
HP: ____/ 13
Str: +1 Dex: +3* Wis: +1

Initiative: +3 Perception: +1
Speed: 5 Stealth: +3

Defense: 16 Resist: -
Fort: +5 Ref: +3 Will: +1

Attack (Shortbow ; Ammunition, Close Range): +4 Ranged
2d4 +1 Physical

Attack (Dagger ; Finesse, Piercing): +4 Melee
1d4 +1 Physical

Special Attack
Frenzy
Daily Use: 1
As a minor action, a hobgoblin can enter a frenzied state, taking a -2 penalty to Defense, but rolling maximum damage dice with melee attacks for 3 rounds. If there are no adjacent enemies to attack while frenzy is active, the hobgoblin must attack the nearest target.

Special Qualities
Surround
A hobgoblin can flank from any angle as long as it and an ally are adjacent to an enemy.

Special Traits
*Darkvision*
*Proficiency (Light Armor, One-Handed, Ranged)*

Skills
+2 Athletics*, +3 Endurance*

Equipment
Dagger, Leather Armor, Shortbow

Hobgoblin Warmonger
Hobgoblin Warmonger (Goblin)
Tough Monster 2
HP: ____/ 26
Str: +4* Dex: +2 Wis: +1

Initiative: +6 Perception: +1

Defense: 18 Resist: -
Fort: +6 Ref: +3 Will: +2

Attack (Battle Axe ; Massive, Slashing): +5 Melee
1d8 +5 Physical

Attack Attack (Javelin ; Versatile): +5 Melee/ +3 Ranged
1d6 +5 Physical

Special Attack
Frenzy
Daily Use: 2

Special Qualities
Surround

Special Traits
*Darkvision*
*Proficiency (Light Armor, Ranged, Two-Handed)*
Improved Initiative

Skills
+3 Athletics*, +4 Endurance*

Equipment
Battle Axe, Hide Armor, Javelin

CinuzIta
2014-05-12, 04:41 AM
The hobgoblins are very nice, but now we also need the base goblin ;)

Amechra
2014-05-12, 05:46 AM
I think Gremlings are the basic Goblin.

Oh, and by the way, as a BOSS MONSTER!:

Hobgoblin Champion

Hobgoblin Champion (Goblin)
Tough Monster 4
HP: ____/ 52
Str: +4* Dex: +2 Wis: +0
Con: +3 Int: +2 Cha: +1

Initiative: +6 Perception: +0

Defense: 19 Resist: -
Fort: +6 Ref: +3 Will: +2

Attack (Battle Axe ; Massive, Slashing): +6 Melee
1d8 + 7 Physical

Attack Attack (Javelin ; Versatile): +6 Melee/ +3 Ranged
1d6 + 7 Physical

Special Attack
Frenzy
Daily Use: 2

Unleash the Dogs of War
As a minor action after a successful Battle Axe attack, a Hobgoblin Champion may make another melee Attack on an adjacent enemy.

Special Qualities
Surround

Warmaster's Presence
Any Goblin that deals Physical damage within 10 Squares of a Hobgoblin Champion deals +2 damage per die. This bonus is already factored into the Hobgoblin Champion's damage.

Special Traits
*Darkvision*
*Proficiency (Light Armor, Ranged, Two-Handed)*
Improved Initiative

Skills
+3 Athletics*, +4 Endurance*

Equipment
Battle Axe, Hide Armor, Javelin

-----

Stick a Hobgoblin Champion in a group of Hobgoblins, and all of them get +1 damage; not too impressive, granted, but that can apply to a lot of Hobgoblins.

I see a lot of higher-level hobgoblins as having a lot of Talents that apply to their allies; Hobgoblin Medics at lower levels, with Hobgoblin Warpriests walking around with Healing Auras and the like.

One Hobgoblin should be easy to take down (relatively); a scouting party should be pretty scary.

Lappy9001
2014-05-12, 11:16 PM
The hobgoblins are very nice, but now we also need the base goblin ;)

I think Gremlings are the basic Goblin.Yup. A gremling invasion gets pretty sticky if you kill all the invaders and neglect to burn the bodies. It also gives reason as to why goblins are both a minor nuisance and completely terrifying. Gremlings have virtually no self-preservation because they know they'll get stronger when they die (the more creative the death, the stronger the goblin).

Hobgoblin Champion

Stick a Hobgoblin Champion in a group of Hobgoblins, and all of them get +1 damage; not too impressive, granted, but that can apply to a lot of Hobgoblins.

I see a lot of higher-level hobgoblins as having a lot of Talents that apply to their allies; Hobgoblin Medics at lower levels, with Hobgoblin Warpriests walking around with Healing Auras and the like.

One Hobgoblin should be easy to take down (relatively); a scouting party should be pretty scary.I love it! Mind if I add it in (gonna totes credit people for their monsters, naturally)

I made an itty-bitty tweak to Frenzy.

"As a minor action, a (whatever) can enter a frenzied state, taking a -2 penalty to Defense, but rolling maximum damage dice with melee attacks for 3 rounds. If there are no adjacent enemies to attack while frenzy is active, the (thingy) must attack the nearest target."

This keeps goblins from just using frenzy all the time, and makes large hordes of them insane when they start working themselves up. Hobgoblins have enough sense to at least try not to, but other goblins tear their enemies and themselves to pieces in large groups.

Edit: On unrelated note, Mechanics is updated, and Runecrafting is the placeholder for profession/all the old mechanics talents. Runecrafting is all the magic item stuff, but also with forgery and decipher script. A profession section has been added into the in-progress Running the Game section (so profession and craft doesn't have to come up unless you want it to!)

Lappy9001
2014-05-12, 11:27 PM
Ogre
Ogres are massive goblins grown from gremlings successful enough to literally eat themselves to death. Ogres are well-entrenched in their gluttonous habits, and are often found with their smaller cousins as unwilling servants.

Ogre
This hulking, corpulent goblinoid leers forward with beady black eyes, it's greasy skin rippling with surprising strength. Covered in patched hides, the creature's three pudgy fingers grip its weapon excitedly as its eyes narrow into malevolent glee.

Ogre (Goblin)
Tough Monster (Giant) 3
HP: ____/ 47
Str: +7* Dex: -2 Wis: +1
Con: +4 Int: -1 Cha: +0

Initiative: -2 Perception: +4*
Speed: 3 Stealth: -4*

Weakness: Attribute Penalty (Dex), Slow Speed

Defense: 15 Resist: -
Fort: +9 Ref: -1 Will: +2

Attack (Greatclub ; Bludgeoning) +10 Melee
1d10 + 9 Physical

Special Attack
Frenzy
Daily Use: ___ / 3
As a minor action, an ogre can enter a frenzied state, taking a -2 penalty to Defense, but rolling maximum damage dice with melee attacks for 3 rounds. If there are no adjacent enemies to attack while frenzy is active, the ogre must attack the nearest target.

Mighty Swing (Push)
Difficulty: 18
As a minor action, an ogre can push the target of a greatclub or slam attack 2 Squares away from the ogre. Targets that succeed a Fortitude save are unaffected.

Special Traits
*Darkvision*
*Proficiency (Light Armor, Two-Handed)*
Improved Hit Points
Improved Saves (Fortitude)

Skills
+5* Endurance

Equipment
Greatclub, Hide Armor

Lappy9001
2014-05-12, 11:37 PM
Blightling
Death by poison or disease is a horrible fate for any mortal creature, but blightlings seem to revel in their wretched existence. One of the few breeds that other goblins tend to leave alone, blightlings nevertheless insert themselves into goblin groups and are surprisingly helpful despite causing significant accidental casualties.

Blightling
This hideous goblinoid creature is covered in oozing greenish yellow puss and cancerous growths. Its large bright green eyes glow eerily as it taps the twisted claws on its mangled hands.

Blightling (Goblin)
Support Monster 2
HP: ____/ 19
Str: +0 Dex: +3 Wis: +6*
Con: +4 Int: -1 Cha: -2

Initiative: +3 Perception: +7*
Speed: 5 Stealth: +4*

Weakness: Attribute Penalty (Int, Cha)

Defense: 14 Resist: 7 Physical
Fort: +5 Ref: +4 Will: +9

Attack (Claw): +4 Melee
1d4 + 4 Physical

Special Attack
Contagious Touch (Affliction)
Daily Use: ___ / 4
Difficulty: 15
As a minor action, a blightling can afflict the target of a claw attack with the Poisoned condition for 3 rounds. Targets that succeed a Fortitude save are unaffected.

Frenzy
As a minor action, a blightling can enter a frenzied state, taking a -2 penalty to Defense, but rolling maximum damage dice with melee attacks for 3 rounds. If there are no adjacent enemies to attack while frenzy is active, the blightling must attack the nearest target.

Special Qualities
Quagstep (Special Ability)
The space a blightling passes through becomes Difficult Terrain for 3 rounds. Any target moving through this space takes 1d4 Physical damage.

Special Traits
*Darkvision*

Skills
+6* Endurance

Amechra
2014-05-13, 05:08 AM
I like them!

I'm thinking I should change Hobgoblin Champion's Warmaster's Presence to apply to damage dealt by all Goblins. It makes the Ogre they keep in the back a bit scarier. Though I'm thinking that maybe the bonus to damage needs to be a tad higher, like maybe +2 per die; Physical damage tends not to come in large numbers of dice, after all.

That way, they get +2 damage on a normal attack, +4 damage on a Critical, and get another +2 if they happen to have Swarm. I think that sounds fair (then again, if there are any sneak-attacking Goblins, it might be a bit much...)

Eh, I'll change it; I'll revert if it ends up being too strong.

Also:

Blightling Plaguebringer (Type)
Support Monster 4
HP: ____/ 39
Str: +0 Dex: +3 Wis: +6*
Con: +4 Int: -1 Cha: -2

Initiative: +3 Perception: +7*
Speed: 5 Stealth: +4*

Weakness: Attribute Penalty (Int, Cha)

Defense: 14 Resist: 7 Physical
Fort: +5 Ref: +4 Will: +9

Attack (Claw): +4 Melee
1d4 + 4 Physical

Special Attack
Contagious Touch (Affliction)
Daily Use: ___ / 5
Difficulty: 16
As a minor action, a blightling can afflict the target of a claw attack with the Poisoned condition for 4 rounds. Targets that succeed a Fortitude save are unaffected.

Frenzy
As a minor action, a blightling can enter a frenzied state, taking a -2 penalty to Defense, but rolling maximum damage dice with melee attacks for 3 rounds. If there are no adjacent enemies to attack while frenzy is active, the blightling must attack the nearest target.

Special Qualities
Quagstep (Special Ability)
The space a blightling passes through becomes Difficult Terrain for 3 rounds. Any target moving through this space takes 1d4 Physical damage.

Virulent Plague (Special Ability)
Whenever a creature within 10 squares of the Blightling Plaguebearer is Poisoned by a Goblin, the condition lasts 1 additional round and deals 1 additional damage each round. The increased duration is already factored into the Blightling Plaguebringer's Contagious Touch.

Plague's Last Gasp (Death Throes)
When a Blightling Plaguebearer dies, it can immediately make a free claw attack against an adjacent enemy.

Special Traits
*Darkvision*

Skills
+7* Endurance

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stick one of these fellows in with a group containing Blightlings, and they get scary. Virulent Plague doesn't stack with itself, which is a good thing.

I can also see a Goblin Broodmother monster, with a Gremling Swarm as an additional part of that battle. There'd have to be some kind of summoning special ability, like (to use Goblin Broodmother as an example):

Birth Gremling:
Uses: __/??
As a Major action, a Goblin Broodmother may spawn a Gremling; place a Gremling in a square adjacent to the Goblin Broodmother.

Adding a level 1/2 creature to the battle in the middle of things seems balanced; I might even say that she can do it as a Minor action, depending on the level.

(I hope its obvious that my headcannon is that Gremlings are born fully grown and are ready to go off and die within seconds.)

CinuzIta
2014-05-13, 06:05 AM
Uh, I thought gremlings were a larval state of goblins! I think I'll try and create another breed of goblins later!

Lappy9001
2014-05-13, 09:31 AM
I like them!

I'm thinking I should change Hobgoblin Champion's Warmaster's Presence to apply to damage dealt by all Goblins. It makes the Ogre they keep in the back a bit scarier. Though I'm thinking that maybe the bonus to damage needs to be a tad higher, like maybe +2 per die; Physical damage tends not to come in large numbers of dice, after all.

That way, they get +2 damage on a normal attack, +4 damage on a Critical, and get another +2 if they happen to have Swarm. I think that sounds fair (then again, if there are any sneak-attacking Goblins, it might be a bit much...)

Eh, I'll change it; I'll revert if it ends up being too strong.Precedent suggests that it would be all allies, but all goblins certainly makes sense. Hobgoblin archers are doing 2d4+5 with their bows now, but they don't really get a damage boost anyway so it's probably fine.

Stick one of these fellows in with a group containing Blightlings, and they get scary. Virulent Plague doesn't stack with itself, which is a good thing.

I can also see a Goblin Broodmother monster, with a Gremling Swarm as an additional part of that battle. There'd have to be some kind of summoning special ability, like (to use Goblin Broodmother as an example):Great, I love virulent plague!

Birth Gremling:
Uses: __/??
As a Major action, a Goblin Broodmother may spawn a Gremling; place a Gremling in a square adjacent to the Goblin Broodmother.

Adding a level 1/2 creature to the battle in the middle of things seems balanced; I might even say that she can do it as a Minor action, depending on the level.

(I hope its obvious that my headcannon is that Gremlings are born fully grown and are ready to go off and die within seconds.)We have the same headcanon :smallbiggrin:

I actually did make a gremling swarm, the swarm trait can make low-level weak monsters pretty scary. This is before I made the tweak to minions (Defense penalty too), so I think it may be okay now. Gonna add quagstep (with a generic name) into the list of traits, blightlings share that ability with salamanders, I realized.

How are the monster rules treating you, by the way?

Uh, I thought gremlings were a larval state of goblins! I think I'll try and create another breed of goblins later!Oh, I see what you mean. Sure, go right ahead :smallsmile:

I think it's very apparent I wasn't satisfied with the 3 or so basic goblinoids that D&D provides :smallbiggrin:

Amechra
2014-05-15, 08:32 AM
I like them, though I think higher level monsters should have the ability to have higher stats, or have a trait that boosts ability scores.

Once I get home later tonight, I might write up a rules hack for playing a wuxia-style game.

Lappy9001
2014-05-15, 09:06 PM
I like them, though I think higher level monsters should have the ability to have higher stats, or have a trait that boosts ability scores.

Once I get home later tonight, I might write up a rules hack for playing a wuxia-style game.Oh, traits are far from done. The ones that are there are just 'basic' stuff. I plan to add to them considerably as monsters are actually being written.

And go for it, sounds awesome!

Lappy9001
2014-05-20, 12:35 AM
Made some minor updates and fixed some more typos. Cannibalized Amechra's Nature abilities to make the Nature skill a little more wholesome.

Changelog:

Abilities that grant resistances now stack with themselves.
Dispel and Smite are now useful against monsters.
Pursuit caps at your Speed.
Pugilist grants a slightly higher Defense bonus
Took out reference to 'staves' in artificer talent. I dropped the idea in favor of metamagic a while ago.
New Skill: Runecrafting! Artificing magic items as well as decipher script, forgery, and secret codes. Some talents have names changed to be more arcaney.
Diplomat still needs work, but it's the only skill left I'm worried about.
Fluid magic armor property added to decrease armor check penalty (to use the 3.5 lingo!)
Rewards section is filled out and includes guidelines to assign XP and gold rewards from monster encounters.
Professions are their own thing and generally only come into play if the players choose to (a break to start a business or something). You can invest in simply by having the associated talents.

I won't be leaving this project to sit (at least not for a while; each time I take a break it gets a little better!) but updates may be spotty. I've intended to get an update in each night for the past 4 evenings but I keep getting held up.

Lappy9001
2014-05-20, 12:56 AM
Custom Races
Not satisfied with my generic fantasy offering? Why not make your own, or convert an existing race to Classy? Make up your race, and I'll add it to the list. Here is the Race chapter for details (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=13010266).

Bornura by Lappy9001
Bornura
Bornura are beings inherently fused with magical crystals which they can manipulate as a natural part of their bodies. Benevolent and placid in disposition, bornura typically interact well with others, and many are inclined to become healers. Bornura bear a passing resemblance to humans but are lighter with circular, rounded ears. Light in complexion, bornura commonly have eyes and hair in any shade of blue, both dark and light, and on rare occasion, white or purple.

Attribute: +1 Wisdom
Speed: 6 Squares
Skill: +1 Perception, +1 Speech
Gem Armor: Bornura gain a +1 bonus to Defense.
Crystal Blade: A bornura can form a crystalline one-handed weapon in a free hand (assigning the Bludgeoning, Piercing, or Slashing Properties if proficient with it) and gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls with it, although they do not gain proficiency with the weapon. Crystal blade lasts indefinitely, until dismissed as a free action. The bonus to attack and damage rolls increase by +1 every 3 levels.
Languages: Common and Runic

Lional by CinuzIta
Lional
Lionals are muscular and bulky creatures living in tribes in mountains, half men half lions. Their furs' colours can be in dark shades of green, blue, brown or red. Even tough their claws are lethal, they prefer two handed weapons.

Attribute: +1 Constitution
Skills: +1 Endurance and Nature
Claws: A Lional's unarmed strike has the Slashing quality and gains a +1 bonus to damage.
Roar: A Lional can unleash a powerful roar, granting himself the Bolstered condition for 3 rounds.
Languages: Common and Wilden.

Ratfolk by Amechra
Ratfolk

CinuzIta
2014-05-27, 03:00 PM
I've created a custom race as well in my spare time..Lionals are muscular and bulky creatures living in tribes in mountains, half men half lions. Their furs' colours can be in dark shades of green, blue, brown or red. Even tough Their class are lethal, they prefer two handed weapons.

Lional
Claws: A Lional's unarmed strike has the Slashing quality and gains a +1 bonus to damage.
Roar: A Lional can unleash a powerful roar, granting himself the Bolstered condition for 3 rounds.
Languages: Common and Wilden.

What do you think? Basically, they're just bigger catfolks

Lappy9001
2014-05-27, 05:54 PM
Lional
Languages: Common and Wilden.I like it. I'll add them to the list.

Cleaned up the class section a little; everything that has daily uses now uses x times per day instead of per rounds or whatever.

Made a new Speech talent, and Healing Touch from the Alchemy skill can reduce the duration of debilitating conditions. Disable Device can 'break' weapons, removing a property (this can be repaired by a mundane mechanics roll, but you still need Jury Rig to actually alter properties). It takes a touch of imagination, especially since weapons are custom, but I feel it's not to hard to imagine dulling a blade to remove the Slashing property or damaging a bow so that it can't be used at long range effectively. Now feeling very good about Skills.

Powerful Presence (New Speech Talent)
As a minor action, you cause all Bolstered allies or Demoralized allies within 5 Squares to be affected by the condition for an additional round. Targets that succeed a Will save ignore this effect.

I feel like Resistance still needs some work. I contemplated using 5e's 'half damage for resistance, double for vulnerability' which I think is very nice, but that edition has more than 10 damage types while mine has only 4.

CinuzIta
2014-05-28, 04:31 AM
Thank you, here there are Raptorans (or half-harpies, take them as you like)

Attribute: +1 Wisdom
Skills: +1 Nature, +1 Speech
Talons: while aloft, the Raptoran can use his Talons to attack as with an unarmed strike with the Slashing quality. Moreover while aloft he can use his Talons to correctly hold bows (using one of his hands, if free, to pull the string and fire the bow).
Flight: A Raptoran can use his wings to fly. He can fly for 3 + Constitution Score rounds; his Speed while flying is 9. After he has spent all the rounds he can fly, he his fatigued and take the Weakened condition for 3 rounds.
Languages: Common and Wilden

Cheers!

Lappy9001
2014-05-30, 11:01 PM
Customizing Abilities *Disclaimer, this section may affect game balance and submitted material may be subject to some editing*
The rules presented by Classy d20 are designed to be generic enough so that they can reasonably fit into any fantasy world. However, for that very reason, not all of the rules might fit your fantasy world. For example in your world, iron may be very rare making heavy armor almost impossible to come by, and teleportation magic simply isn't possible. In this example, two who sets of abilities, the Heavy Armor martial discipline and the Teleportation arcane school, simply don't make sense existing in the setting and would need to be changed or removed.

When re-tooling abilities, be sure to do so equally, meaning, if you remove a set of abilities (like Teleportation), remove a set from each group (like Heavy Armor from martial disciplines, and Mechanics from Skills). However, it's suggested to replace abilities, rather than remove them. Before a campaign starts, the GM may opt to replace abilities as he or she chooses, often for setting-flavor reasons or player preference. Just make sure each ability group maintains a Base Ability, and three abilities beneath.

With the example of the no-teleportation magic setting, perhaps shadow magic exists that allows skilled mages to phase from one spot of darkness to another? To replace the Teleportation arcane school, you could instead create:

Shadow
Magic is often seen as the manipulation of energy and the physical world, but often forgotten is the ability to temporarily remove energy entirely. The ancient shadow magics allow users to bend shadows to their will, channeling and merging with the void.

Phase (Base Spell)
You can meld into a shadow (other than your own) and "jump" from one to another as long as the shadows are 5 Squares apart. The distance increases by 1 Square for every additional 1 MP spent on the spell.

Darkness Cloak
You grant yourself or an ally the Concealed condition for 3 rounds. The duration increases by 1 round for every additional 1 MP spent on this spell.

Shadow Pulse
You summon pure darkness into one Square and its adjacent space, dealing 1d6 Cold damage to all targets within the area and snuffing out light sources (including the Light cantrip). The damage increases by +1d8 for every additional 1 MP spent on this spell.

Shade Sense
You grant yourself or an ally immunity to the Blinded condition for 1 minute. The duration increases by 1 minute for every additional 1 MP spent on this spell.

You may find it easier to just replace individual abilities, rather than an entire group. In this case, just replace an existing ability with the new one. Try to keep within the theme of the group (but it is, of course, optional), so that Flame spells mostly deal Fire damage and interact with heat, for example. Below is a compendium of created custom abilities. Feel free to make your own!

Maneuvers
Archery
Hawkeye Shot (Base Talent) by Amechra

Spells
Necromancy
Raise the Damned by Amechra
You may bring an ally back to life with 0 HP, and then restore HP equal to twice their level. Doing so applies the Graveborn template to their race; if they were already Graveborn, they cannot be resurrected this way.

Talents
Speech
Cruel Tongue by Amechra
You may take a Minor action to Demoralize an opponent for 3 rounds; this is an Easy Difficulty Speech check, with a +2 to the Difficulty for each Monster level the opponent has.

Lappy9001
2014-06-01, 03:33 AM
Horse
A long-standing friend of the common races, horses are utilized as mounts and beasts of burden. Horses are a common sight around towns and cities, but wild plains horses can also be found together in large groups.

Horse
Horse (Animal)
Quick Monster (Giant) 2
HP: ____/ 30
Str: +4 Dex: +2 Wis: +3
Con: +4* Int: +1 Cha: +0

Initiative: +3 Perception: +3
Speed: 9 Stealth: +2

Defense: 13
Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +4

Attack (Slam): +5 Melee
1d6 + 4 Physical

Special Traits
*Mount*
Improved Hit Points
Improved Speed

Skills
+7 Athletics*, +5 Endurance* +4 Nature*

Lappy9001
2014-06-01, 03:58 AM
Tizali
Chocobo? Never heard of 'em.
Tizali are large, flightless birds with blunt beaks and downy feathers that come in many bright colors. Suitable to be used as an exotic mount, tizali are known for being friendly and easy to train, and while they are less hardy than horses, they possess superior reflexes.

Tizali
Tizali (Animal)
Quick Monster (Giant) 2
HP: ____/ 22
Str: +4 Dex: +4* Wis: +2
Con: +3 Int: +0 Cha: +0

Initiative: +5 Perception: +3*
Speed: 9 Stealth: +5

Defense: 15
Fort: +4 Ref: +8 Will: +3

Attack (Claw): +5 Melee
1d6 + 5 Physical

Special Qualities
Flutter
A tizali and its rider reduce damage taken by falling Hazards by 1 increment.

Special Traits
*Mount*
Improved Speed

Skills
+7 Athletics*, +4 Endurance*

CinuzIta
2014-06-01, 08:01 AM
Tizali
Chocobo? Never heard of 'em.
Tizali are large, flightless birds with blunt beaks and downy feathers that come in many bright colors. Suitable to be used as an exotic mount, tizali are known for being friendly and easy to train, and while they are less hardy than horses, they possess superior reflexes.

Tizali
Tizali (Animal)
Quick Monster (Giant) 2
HP: ____/ 22
Str: +4 Dex: +4* Wis: +2
Con: +3 Int: +0 Cha: +0

Initiative: +5 Perception: +3*
Speed: 9 Stealth: +5

Defense: 15
Fort: +4 Ref: +8 Will: +3

Attack (Claw): +5 Melee
1d6 + 5 Physical

Special Qualities
Flutter
A tizali and its rider reduce damage taken by falling Hazards by 1 increment.

Special Traits
*Mount*
Improved Speed

Skills
+7 Athletics*, +4 Endurance*

Yeah, chocobos!!:smallcool:

Lappy9001
2014-07-02, 08:26 PM
Small changes but fairly significant ones:

Essentia is now keyed off of Charisma instead of Intelligence. Intelligence has gotten quite a bit out of being used in 4 skills, alchemic items, 2 primary abilities, and that teeny level 1 skill boost. Charisma only really has Speech, spell Difficulty, although 2 primary attributes as well. This gives at least a little incentive not to dump Cha, without necessarily investing lots into it.
Big changes to class specializations (now vocations, with lots of input from CinuzIta). Each vocation grants two abilities (kind of like races). Also at CinuzIta's suggestion, I plan to add specializations that are like prestige classes, so I'm up for any suggestions.
Trained Skills add a +5 bonus, but you still add 1/2 level to all skills. This allows rogues in particular to get some very high skill bonuses early on and can actually achieve that Nearly Impossible Difficulty with a lucky roll. I did some math, and I'm not too worried; after all, being good at skills is the rogue's job.

Oh, and Character Sheet (https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jmu81aanemc9tf/Classy%20d20%20Char%20Sheet%202.0.pdf) ! It's a bit basic, but it's big, easy to pick out stuff (at least that's the intent) and tries to keep stuff where you need it.

Amechra
2014-07-03, 05:57 PM
I like the Vocations. I like them muchly.

I take it Specializations will replace one of your Vocation abilities?

Some classics:
- A Berserker type fellow for the Warrior.
- Blood Mage

Lappy9001
2014-07-03, 11:22 PM
I like the Vocations. I like them muchly.Hurray!

I take it Specializations will replace one of your Vocation abilities?

Some classics:
- A Berserker type fellow for the Warrior.
- Blood MageBrainstorm rambling:

That's certainly a good idea. Currently, I'm torn on how to implement them. CinuzIta suggested an ability with prerequisites, but nothing in Classy has prereqs outside of learning the ability. I had the idea of granting a specialization at a milestone, probably a single ability, but again, I'm not sure at the moment. If I go this direction, I don't think they'd be able to replace the bonuses to vocations, since this would be a clear bonus to mages as their vocations don't level at the moment (that might change, though). I also don't want everyone to have to specialize, but this might not be a problem if there are a varied enough collection of specializations floating around.

Perhaps they don't need to be class-specific. A ranger, for example, could pretty easily fit into a Rogue or a Warrior, depending on your interpretation.

Obviously, they won't necessarily be tied to your primary attribute, but maybe they could benefit from a secondary attribute, like a paladin specialization for warriors using Charisma or something.

CinuzIta
2014-07-05, 03:16 AM
Well, what if you get to choose to specialize or not at the 4th or 6th level's milestone? One could be given the choice to specialize (Gaining a new ability) or to increase their vocation bonus..

If you put this choice at 4th level, then at every other milestone level the character could continue to choose to increase the bonus on his specialization..this could be done even at 6th level, but placing it earlier would give the PC bigger numbers

Lappy9001
2014-07-06, 11:16 PM
Okay, so at level 4, you can choose to advance your vocation, or gain a specialization. Each level after, you get to choose which one you want to increase. Only have warrior and mage so far, but here are some rough drafts. Hopefully, there will be quite a few specializations to choose from (unlike other things, like abilities, I'm not opposed to these granting bonuses since they come from the class)

Warrior Specializations

Berserker
Scarred: Gain a +2 bonus to Physical Resistance while wearing Light Armor or unarmored.
Milestone: Increase by +2

Knight
Noble Challenge: You may use your Challenge ability on two targets within 5 Squares, even if you have not attacked them. This ability can be used 2 times per day.
Milestone: +2 times per day

Paladin
Divine Grace: Gain a +2 bonus to Charisma to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will.
Milestone: Increase by +2

Mage Specializations

Druid
Wild Shape: Your fists become claws and gain the Natural Weapon property. As a minor action, you can take on an aspect of an animal for 1 minute to gain a +1 bonus to Defense, and a +2 bonus to Athletics, Endurance, Perception, Nature, or Stealth. This ability can be used 2 times per day.
Milestone: Increase Defense by +1, Increase Skill by 1

Sage
Arcane Knowledge: You gain 1d4+3 MP each milestone.
Milestone: +1d4+3 MP

Spellblade
Ability Name: Choose a single one-handed magical property. You can apply that property to a weapon created by the Shadow Weapon cantrip. You gain a +1 bonus to Attack rolls with your Shadow Weapon.
Milestone: +1 Attack with Shadow Weapon

CinuzIta
2014-07-24, 06:43 PM
Well, here's something to fill the empty space:

Rogue Specialization

Daredevil
Riskbreaker: +2 to Dexterity, Athletics and Endurance.
Milestone: increase by +2.

Trickster
Arcane Tampering: you can use a minor action to attempt a Disable Device, Trapsmith, Disruption, Extract Essence or Steal check in a range of 5 Squares. This ability can be used 2 times per day.
Milestone: you can use this ability +1 time per day and the range is increased by +1.

Fortunate
Easy Luck: whenever you use essentia you get to add 1d8 to a d20 roll in place of 1d6. You also increase your Charisma by +2.
Milestone: increase essentia dice by one increment, increase Charisma by 2.

Lappy9001
2014-07-30, 02:10 PM
Well, here's something to fill the empty space:

Rogue Specialization

Daredevil
Riskbreaker: +2 to Dexterity, Athletics and Endurance.
Milestone: increase by +2.

Trickster
Arcane Tampering: you can use a minor action to attempt a Disable Device, Trapsmith, Disruption, Extract Essence or Steal check in a range of 5 Squares. This ability can be used 2 times per day.
Milestone: you can use this ability +1 time per day and the range is increased by +1.

Fortunate
Easy Luck: whenever you use essentia you get to add 1d8 to a d20 roll in place of 1d6. You also increase your Charisma by +2.
Milestone: increase essentia dice by one increment, increase Charisma by 2.Trickster looks fantastic! I actually had not intended to increase Attributes, but realized I did with a typo in the Paladin specialization. Fortunate pretty exists already with the Lucky Shot ability, but maybe increase the dice to d10?

CinuzIta
2014-07-30, 04:08 PM
Trickster looks fantastic! I actually had not intended to increase Attributes, but realized I did with a typo in the Paladin specialization. Fortunate pretty exists already with the Lucky Shot ability, but maybe increase the dice to d10?

Right, I forgot of Lucky Shot while i was writing! That would work!

Daredevil was intended for an assassin or acrobatic style of character!

Jakodee
2015-01-04, 11:23 PM
I've just discovered this and like it a lot. Has he posted a pdf yet? Or is this thread being used to develop the system?

Knaight
2015-01-05, 03:14 AM
As far as I know there's no .pdf. The project also hasn't been worked on in the thread for a while, but it generally advances in bursts, so that doesn't necessarily mean much.

Liliet
2015-01-10, 12:00 PM
(hey, I'm back to the forums and this is my first non-private message since returning!)

I have /just/ tried to build a character with DnD Next Player's Handbook... and your system is better. Like, way better. Like, DnD Next feels like both a drag and a setback, like I'm trying to play AD&D or something...

Going to try to build at least one character with updated rules again soon!