PDA

View Full Version : Templates of temptation.

Morithias
2012-04-04, 02:25 AM
As I have stated in many threads asking for help up to this point. I am running a future campaign revolving around a girl with cursed blood.

Due to her having the power in the videogame I stole the character from, she is going to have the power to grant someone who drinks her blood a template..at no LA.

It was originally going to be the unholy scion, but then I looked at it and well...
+2 dex, +6 int, +2 wis, and +4 cha, isn't quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something more "lady and black knight". Something that would make a good bodyguard, but at the same time the template has to be well...tempting. If you drink the blood you become a fiend of some kind, and at levels 5 and 6 of corruption she can command any fiend to do anything (basically meaning that if she becomes the dark overlord, you're going to be serving her for the rest of eternity or until someone kills her).

So I need a good template, something that is powerful enough to tempt my players that they would actually risk drinking her blood in order to gain the power at the risk of being her toys for the rest of eternity if they fail.

Half-fiend looks good, but ultimately is rather lackluster for an LA +4 in my opinion. Lolth-touched is also very powerful, but at La +1, there's no reason why they couldn't just take it on their starting characters and not have the whole "tied to the demon king" thing.

So what do you guys think? Know any good fiendish templates for me to bribe my players with in exchange for their souls and undying loyalty, should they fail in their mission?

Grinner
2012-04-04, 02:29 AM
Nothing matching that exact description comes to mind immediately.

One thing similar to it is the Thoon Infiltrator and the Thoon Thrall. They're in the Monster Manual IV V, I think. You can refluff and modify them to match easily enough.

Morithias
2012-04-04, 02:35 AM
Nothing matching that exact description comes to mind immediately.

One thing similar to it is the Thoon Infiltrator and the Thoon Thrall. They're in the Monster Manual IV V, I think. You can refluff and modify them to match easily enough.

I will go examine them at once! Thank you for your suggestion.

Edit: Very interesting template...the power to turn on and off the template allows them to keep what they are hidden which will be useful when they're trying to sneak onto holy ground to keep the demon king hidden. A few minor rewrites and it could become something nice.

Edit again:
You might take a look at the half-fiendish variety web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a), which talks about (and gives examples of) reworking the half-fiend template to fit different base fiends.

You know I probably should have considered that before I made this thread. I actually used the succubus template once.

Jasdoif
2012-04-04, 02:37 AM
You might take a look at the half-fiendish variety web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a), which talks about (and gives examples of) reworking the half-fiend template to fit different base fiends.

Feralventas
2012-04-04, 07:53 AM
Take a look at the Xorvintal Dragons section of Monster Manual 5. There's a template for servants of a Xorvy dragon called an Exarch of which gives them significant bonuses and situational utilities, but I believe has a kind of enchantment/compulsion aspect attached to it to prevent an Exarch from turning on their masters.

Andorax
2012-04-04, 03:40 PM
Another source you might look into is The Tainted article (Dragon 302). It lines out a 10-level prestige class (two actually, one for fighting types and one for casters) that grants half-fiend like abilities specific to any one of several types of demons.

Could be run as-is, or reverse engineered back into a template instead...what's nice about it is that it's very customizable.