PDA

View Full Version : Colossal golems?

Hazzardevil
2012-04-04, 03:05 AM
In an epic level game, my character has levels in a knight fix, my character isn't what's important though, it's what I'd like him to ride.

Aside from Taking leadership, I couldn't think of anyway to get a mount.
Then it struck me to make a giant robot.
So, does anyone know of any craft-able golems that a gargantuan giant could ride in?
No I do not want a robot I would ride around inside, i would like to be able to throw rocks and hit people with my giant sword while doing it.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-04-04, 03:09 AM
The appropriately named colossi (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/colossus.htm)?

Or make a effigy/elder eidelon of a colossal creature.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-04-04, 03:13 AM
In an epic level game, my character has levels in a knight fix, my character isn't what's important though, it's what I'd like him to ride.

Aside from Taking leadership, I couldn't think of anyway to get a mount.
Then it struck me to make a giant robot.
So, does anyone know of any craft-able golems that a gargantuan giant could ride in?
No I do not want a robot I would ride around inside, i would like to be able to throw rocks and hit people with my giant sword while doing it.

Presumably, if you advance a Mithral Golem beyond 72 HD (or an Adamantine Golem beyond 108), they could be considered Colossal by definition (although this isn't RAW legal, since they technically don't have advancement). A Corpse Gatherer (Monster Manual II, p. 51) advanced to 31 HD (1 more than its typical Hit Dice placement) is Colossal, and is basically a shambling mass of corpses that, hey, I guess you can ride, or something. Not a robot, but whatever.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-04-04, 03:27 AM
Aha! There is also the Blackstone Gigant which lists a advancement to colossal size, but not the cost for advancement sadly. :(

Then there's also the ever classic permanenced animated object.

Starshade
2012-04-04, 03:47 AM
A Warforged Titan (Eberron) is an huge construct. It's not sentient (more an proto warforged, made before the sentient ones), but is more bright than an standard golem, it could serve as an example for making a bigger one perhaps?

Hazzardevil
2012-04-04, 07:12 AM
The appropriately named colossi (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/colossus.htm)?

Or make a effigy/elder eidelon of a colossal creature.
An Elder Eidolon sounds like a good idea, I'll try to persuade the DM to allow one based on a tarresque or something.

Presumably, if you advance a Mithral Golem beyond 72 HD (or an Adamantine Golem beyond 108), they could be considered Colossal by definition (although this isn't RAW legal, since they technically don't have advancement). A Corpse Gatherer (Monster Manual II, p. 51) advanced to 31 HD (1 more than its typical Hit Dice placement) is Colossal, and is basically a shambling mass of corpses that, hey, I guess you can ride, or something. Not a robot, but whatever.
Mithral and Adamantine golems seem too expensive, they'll be a last resort.

Aha! There is also the Blackstone Gigant which lists a advancement to colossal size, but not the cost for advancement sadly. :(

Then there's also the ever classic permanenced animated object.
I dislike Animated Objects, they just don't seem like something an epic giant would ride upon into battle.
The blackstone gigant is just too powerful for leve 27 play, it will be something the party will use eventually.

A Warforged Titan (Eberron) is an huge construct. It's not sentient (more an proto warforged, made before the sentient ones), but is more bright than an standard golem, it could serve as an example for making a bigger one perhaps?

A warforged Titan could work if I could scale it up, sounds good.

Kansaschaser
2012-04-04, 09:42 AM
Pick any Colossal Dragon you like, then have an Effigy crafted of that dragon. Easy as pie.

If you like the prehistoric touch, take the Seismosaurus from Monster Manual 2 and have that crafted into an Effigy.

If you are feeling a bit strange or nostalgic, use the Tarrasque or Thunder Worm (Fiend Folio) and have them crafted into an Effigy.

Tokuhara
2012-04-04, 12:33 PM
Ok. This is a strange question:

As a fan of Shadow of the Colossus, how viable is a campaign centered around a few monsters (like maybe 20 or so) of Colossal size in comparison to mobs of mooks?

Andorax
2012-04-04, 12:48 PM
Take any animal, magical beast, or vermin of size tiny through huge.

Apply Kaiju template (Dragon 289)

Apply Effigy template

Purchase extremely large and expensive saddle

???

Profit

Cieyrin
2012-04-04, 02:05 PM
Ok. This is a strange question:

As a fan of Shadow of the Colossus, how viable is a campaign centered around a few monsters (like maybe 20 or so) of Colossal size in comparison to mobs of mooks?

Judging by how Flickerdart ran his (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Golemgame), I'd say it can work out fine.

gomipile
2012-04-04, 02:35 PM
When I first saw the thread title, I read it as "Colossal gnomes"

That is all.

Tokuhara
2012-04-04, 02:42 PM
Judging by how Flickerdart ran his (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Golemgame), I'd say it can work out fine.

Very good work. May steal some of this, add some of my own, and begin designing the 20 or so Colossi. I want them to be scarier than any undead horde or demon. May give them all Frightful Presence. I plan on having the party level-up quickly (the colossi are probably going to be 6+ levels higher than the party, but are split up into stages to make the battles more manageable, like in the actual game.) and each colossus has 4-5 "sigils" which are the only spots that can be damaged. Also borrowing 4e's Skill Challenges as the other meat of the encounters (climbing a mountain, crossing a river, climbing the colossi, etc.) How would one balance skill challenges for 3.P?

Cieyrin
2012-04-04, 03:46 PM
Very good work. May steal some of this, add some of my own, and begin designing the 20 or so Colossi. I want them to be scarier than any undead horde or demon. May give them all Frightful Presence. I plan on having the party level-up quickly (the colossi are probably going to be 6+ levels higher than the party, but are split up into stages to make the battles more manageable, like in the actual game.) and each colossus has 4-5 "sigils" which are the only spots that can be damaged. Also borrowing 4e's Skill Challenges as the other meat of the encounters (climbing a mountain, crossing a river, climbing the colossi, etc.) How would one balance skill challenges for 3.P?

Run in the same way with different skills, I'd imagine, though hopefully more smoothly than 4e skill challenges seem to be run, as the few times before I gave up on 4E I played with them, they came across as boring and trite, though admittedly this was early in 4E's life cycle, so I can't say how well they run now.

Tokuhara
2012-04-04, 03:57 PM
Run in the same way with different skills, I'd imagine, though hopefully more smoothly than 4e skill challenges seem to be run, as the few times before I gave up on 4E I played with them, they came across as boring and trite, though admittedly this was early in 4E's life cycle, so I can't say how well they run now.

Skill challenges should be ran like a fight, so with DM fluff, you use skills to defeat the challenge like how you use actions to kill a monster

Psyren
2012-04-04, 04:18 PM
Apply Kaiju template (Dragon 289)

For those of us without all the dragmags, what does this do?

Divayth Fyr
2012-04-04, 04:23 PM
While I also don't have them, I found this description

Essentially, it takes a normal critter and turns it into a Godzilla-like Colossal mutant. It has a laundry list of special abilities, which makes for alot of variety.

Seems to fit the OP's needs (more or less).

Kansaschaser
2012-04-04, 04:24 PM
You know how they always say House Cats are really dangerous in D&D since they have Pounce?

Take a Hosue Cat, add the Titanic Template. It's now Colossal. Now just have some decent ranks in Handle Animal and teach it combat tricks.

Or, you could turn it into an Effigy again. That way you wouldn't have to deal with a huge litter box and the Redwood scratching posts. :smallwink:

For some reason, I really like this idea.

Cieyrin
2012-04-04, 06:32 PM

What karpik said, basically makes an animal, vermin or magical beast into a Colossal creature with specials like Breath Weapons, Power Stomps and anything else the Godzilla era movies let them do. The article included examples for King Kong and Godzilla in all but name, as well as a Fiendish Centipede Kaiju.

Andorax
2012-04-04, 11:41 PM

Basic idea:

Makes it a Magical Beast
Makes it Colossal
Adjusts its physical stats as if it were resized to Colossal
Adds 40 HD
Adjusts AC/Attacks/Damage/Space/Reach accordingly.
Grants an assortment of special abilities (trample, breath weapons, ray attacks, shockwave attacks, etc.) from a menu of options. Think "Monster of Legend" from MM2, only on a much bigger scale.

It also lists a selection of feats to further "giant monsterize" them. I think I like Stunning Roar best (anything with 7 or more HD within 1,200' of the Kaiju creature must make a fort save or be stunned for 1d4 rounds...6HD or lower are automatic).

Three sample Kaiju are provided...Octopus, Huge Half-Fiend Centipede, and Bulette.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-05, 12:27 AM
Heh, whoever made that gets my vote for being awesome.
Sure, it's unlikely to find its way into most games, but you'll be glad it exists when you do.

Cieyrin
2012-04-05, 01:04 PM
Heh, whoever made that gets my vote for being awesome.
Sure, it's unlikely to find its way into most games, but you'll be glad it exists when you do.

How else are you gonna summon Mothra? :smallwink:

TheTick
2012-04-05, 01:11 PM
A couple of tiny Japanese women?

Rubik
2012-04-05, 05:49 PM
The rod of the construct in the Arms & Equipment Guide would let you get a construct of your very own. You'd have to find one, but it'd be a helluvalot cheaper to buy a few high Knowledge checks and the rod than to make one yourself.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-05, 08:15 PM
How else are you gonna summon Mothra? :smallwink:
Or Bigger Fish (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0208.html).:smallbiggrin:

Necroticplague
2012-04-05, 08:46 PM
A couple of tiny Japanese women?

Suddenly, that song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qY2MOe8j2M) is going through my head.

Andorax
2012-04-06, 10:39 AM
Ok, just for the fun of it, let's go directly to the OP's request.

Thematically-integrated Kaiju Constructs...

By Land:

Ice Beast (Frost) Kaiju Caribou CR 22
Colossal Construct (Cold)
HD 42d10+80 (301 hp)
Init +0
Speed 40'
AC 17 (+15 Nat, -8 Size), Tch 2, FF 17
BAB/GRP +31/+70
Atk: Gore +48 (3d8+36; 15+/x3+2d6 and Fort DC 55 or die)
S/R: 40'/20'
SA: Augmented Criticals, Ice Breath (30' cone per 1d4 rounds, 10d6, Reflex DC 31 half), Shockwave (SA slam the ground, all within 100' Reflex DC 55 or fall prone, structures take 4d6 damage), Trample (4d12+24, Reflex DC 55 to avoid, double damage vs structures)
SQ: DR 15/magic, Construct Traits, Cold Subtype
SV: Fort +14, Ref +14, Will +14
Abil: Str 58, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skill: -
Feats: Cleave, Devastating Critical (Gore) [E], Great Cleave, Improved Critical (Gore), Improved Natural Attack, Improved Trample [K], Overwhelming Critical (Gore) [E], Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Gore)

By Sea:

Elder Eidolon (LoM) Kaiju Medium Shark CR 19
Colossal Construct
HD 43d10+80 (306 hp)
Init +3
Speed Swim 60'
AC 45 (+3 Dex, +36 Nat, +4 Def, -8 Size), Tch 9, FF 42
BAB/GRP +32/+76
Atk: Bite +52 melee (4d6+42; 18+/x3)
SA: Augmented Criticals, Insanity Aura (10', Will save DC 31 or confused for 1 round), Swallow Whole (Huge or smaller, 2d8+28+3d6 acid, AC 24/50 dmg to cut out), Trample (4d12+28, Reflex DC 59 to avoid, double damage vs structures)
SQ: DR 10/Adamantine, Construct Traits, Fast Repair 5, Immune to magic (except for certain spells, see LoM)
SV: Fort +14, Ref +17, Will +14
Abil: Str 66, Dex 16, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skill: -
Feats: Improved Grapple, Improved Natural Attack, Improved Trample [K], Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Finesse

Battle Frenzy: If reduced to 76 hps, gain a +4 bonus to strength and a second Bite attack (at -5 penalty, for +54/+49). This lasts until healed back above 76 hps.

And by Air:

Effigy (CA) Kaiju Eagle CR 16
Colossal Construct
HD 41d10+80 (295 hp)
Init +1
Speed 20', Fly 80' (poor)
AC 35 (+1 Dex, +32 Nat, -8 Size), Tch 3, ff 34)
BAB/GRP +30/+70
Atk: Talons +47/+47/+42/+37 (4d6+24;15+/x3) and bite +41 (4d6+12;18+/x3)
SA: Augmented Criticals, Rend (if two talons hit, automatically deal 8d6+36 more damage), Snatch (Improved Grap vs Huge or smaller, drop as free action, take only -10 to grapple with part of the body), Trample (4d12+12, AoO or Reflex DC 55 to avoid), Windstorm (SA, 100' cone of hurricane force winds)
SQ: DR 15/Adamantine, Construct Traits
SV: Fort +13, Ref +14, Will +13
Abil: Str 59, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skill: Spot +8
Feats: Improved Critical (Talons), Improved Rapidstrike, Improved Snatch, Multisnatch, Power Attack, Rapidstrike, Rend, Snatch, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Talons)

Cost to Create: 91,000 gp, 3280 XP, minimum CL 41

What the heck, let's add the classic look just for fun. Ironically, this is the one construct template I tried that doesn't eliminate Int or purge SA/SQ abilities, so this one gets to actaully keep more Kaiju traits than the others. Note, this is assuming a post-failed Will save.

Half Iron Golem [MM2] Kaiju Magebred [EB] Heavy Warhorse CR 20
Colossal Construct
HD 44d10+124 (366 hp)
Init +0
Speed 60'
AC 13 (+0 Dex, +11 Nat, -8 Size), Tch 2, ff 13
BAB/GRP: +44/+91
Atk: 2 Hooves +67 (3d8+31) and Bite +62 (2d6+15)
SA: Breath Weapon (FA, every 1d4+1 rounds, 30' Cone of poisonous gas, Fort DC 32, 1d8 Con/Death), Eye Ray (SA, every 1d4 rounds, Ranged Touch +44 for 15d6 electrical, range 300'), Trample (4d12+31, Reflex DC 63 to avoid, double damage vs structures)
SQ: DR 25/Epic, Darkvision 120', Electricity Resistance 50, Fast Healing 20, Immune to Mind-Influencing Effects, Magic Immunity (see Iron Golem), Rust Vulnerability (see Iron Golem), See Invisibility, SR 30
SLA: Earthquake 1/day (CL 20)
SV: Fort +16, Ref +14, Will +15
Abil: Str 72, Dex 11, Con -, Int 1, Wis 13, Cha 20
Skill: Listen +25, Spot +24
Feats: Battle Roar [K], Endurance, Improved Natural Attack (Hoof), Improved Toughness, Improved Trample [K], Run, Stunning Roar [K], Thunderous Roar [K], +8 more (Customize to your preferences).

Roar: When it roars (whinneys?), all creatures of HD 7 or higher within 1,200 feat must make a will save DC 37 or become shaken and a Fortitude save DC 37 or be deafened for 3d6 rounds and stunned for 1d4 rounds. Creatures 6 HD or less are automatically affected. Deafened creatures are immune to these effects. The shaken effect requires only a Move action, adding deafened makes the roar take a Standard action, and adding stunned requires a Full Round action.

Doomboy911
2012-04-06, 11:41 PM
I'd hate to seem like I'm spying or intruding but I have but one message for you my good man. It will take more than a mount to take us down.